Chain Reaction

Of Gravity, Acceleration and Motion

“Seonsaeng-nim...”

“What is it Sehun-ah?”

“Please accept my heart.”

Kim Minseok almost drops the activity papers he has collected earlier.

Wait...WHAT?!

Please hit the rewind!

 

He receives the good news-

NO. That’s not it!

Minseok knows that he has met this good-looking child before...

 

Ah...It was way back when he was in first year college...


Kim Minseok was on his way to one of his college friend’s house for another group study. When he was invited, he couldn’t say no. Anyway, he wouldn’t turn down any help (to pass) that would come his way. Right when he’s about to turn a corner, he heard whimpers but there were also laughing, snickering and blabbering of rude words. Someone was being bullied.

Against wise precautions and all, he decided to follow where the sounds were coming from. He found them in a hidden spot that’s too easy to be overlooked.

Three towering boys crowded the other boy who’s curled from receiving kicks and punches. The boy looked pitiful in his place and he appeared to be enduring the beating not too long ago since the cuts and bruises were seem to be fresh.

“Yah. Is this all you’ve got? You’re rich, aren’t you? Where is the money?” One of the boys who’s (extremely) fat and greasy looking barked at the boy sprawled on the ground.

The other two kicked him mercilessly when they failed to obtain a response. Along with the beating were profanities that even Minseok found alarming because...what the hell?! Base from their uniform, they’re just Middle school students! Minseok couldn’t stand the events unveiling in front of him. He resolved to stopping the kids’ misbehavior. With a heavy foot, he approached them while trying so badly to look cool and righteous.

“Okay kids, let him go.” He says with a calm voice.

The bullies looked at each other then.

“Ahjushi. This is none of your business! Go away!”

Minseok let out a noncommittal sound from the formality. The word didn’t really fit and it sounded half-assed on the insolent child’s mouth.

“Sure.” he squinted and read their nameplates aloud. “You’re school is just a few blocks away. Want me to do the talking for you? I don’t mind. I’ll just tell them that you three have been ill-behaved, especially on your poor classmate.” As if he couldn’t feel his effect yet, he added “Or should I convince them not to let you pass?”

By then, the boys exchanged nervous glances. Their defiant air inflated as the ‘leader’ cowered below the elder’s gaze. Leading his band of impertinent followers, they ran as fast as they could. The elder did nothing but stare after them.

“Are you alright?” That’s a silly question, Minseok knew, because the boy honestly looked far from okay. He bent anyway and gave the boy a hand to stand up. The younger lad flinched. At this, Minseok assured the fella that he’s a good guy. Well, if he wasn’t, then he shouldn’t have helped the boy, right?

It took a moment before the younger relaxed and chose to trust the elder. He’s inquired if he would like to go to the nearby clinic but he refused.

“If you don’t like, how would I present you to your parents? I can’t let you go like this!”

“Ahjushii, I’m fine.” Oh Sehun, as what Minseok reads from the boy’s nameplate, murmured.

“Are you kidding me? You obviously don’t look fine.”

Kim Minseok racked his brain for solutions. If this child didn’t like to go to clinic but the wounds should be treated as soon as possible and Minseok apparently didn’t like to let him go just like that then...Then he should be the one treating it. Besides, the wounds didn’t look like they’re too serious. In any case, he can surely treat it. That’s it!

Hastily, Minseok pulled Sehun along to the closest drug store. There, he bought all of the basics in first aid: band aids, antiseptic, alcohol, cotton buds, etc.

He treated the boy’s wounds with great ease and practiced hands. It didn’t take a while and before the child knew it, he’s perfectly patched up.

“Now you’re all good.” Minseok said, delighted from his work. Sure, he wasn’t that good at it but at least he had done a great job. He should be leaving but he got anxious when he heard the pitiful child’s stomach whine.

“It seems that you’re hungry. Don’t worry! I’m rich!” He laughed at his own joke but he continued nonetheless after he coughed, “No. Actually, I’m not but hey what would you like to eat?”

When he heard nothing from the kid, he just followed where the kid’s sight was directed. He realized that Sehun was staring at a bubble tea shop. Hesitantly, he asked, “Would you like some bubble tea?”

The kid was flustered to find his voice but Minseok knew the answer before it was blurted out. They made their way to the shop.

“Chocolate.”

Before he could ask, Minseok heard Sehun mumble and it made him smile. Ah, So cute~ he thought. He politely ordered for a chocolate (w/ lots of pearls) and a simple cappuccino flavored one. They found a table and sit facing each other. He couldn’t help himself from constantly checking his watch.

“Do you mind if I-“

The boy shook his head.

“I’m fine, ahjushii. I think you should go to your appointment.”

“Are you sure?”  

He was really concerned to the kid. What if the bullies come across and pick on him again?

“Yes. You’re running late, ahjushii.”

“Thanks! I’ll make it up to you next time, okay?”

The boy only nodded. So, Minseok stood up and ruffled Sehun’s bangs before rushing outside the shop.

Sehun only watched as the kind-hearted person quickly ran outside.