Chapter 2 Position

Left and Leaving (Again)

 

 

“Dad, I’m here. Why do you want me here now? I thought I was only starting work tomorrow?” said So Min as she seated herself comfortably on a chair.

 

Her father; Mr. Jung, walked from his chair to stand in front of her. He looked older and tired. Wrinkles were creased on his forehead.

 

“Yes, you are, but I wanted to tell you about your position in the office,” said her father.

 

“Okay.”

 

“You are going to be the General Manager here-”

 

“Really? I can’t wait!” squealed So Min eagerly interrupting her father.

 

“Wait, So Min. Although your pose is as the General Manager, your job is heavier than the normal General Managers. This is because I want you to adapt to the life of working here.”

 

“Sure, dad. What do I do?” So Min asked with a grin on her face.

 

“Oh, that, you will only find out tomorrow,” said Mr. Jung with a mischievous smile.

 

“Can’t I know now?” asked So Min.

 

“No.”

 

“Please…” So Min pleaded.

 

“No, you will know tomorrow.”

 

“Fine.”

 

“So Min, I have to tell you something. Don’t get mad, please?” asked Mr. Jung with a weary face. Work must really be pressuring him.

 

“Okay, what is it?”

 

“Visit your grandpa. He’s very sick. He wants to see you .”

 

“What! Why didn’t anyone tell me? Why tell me now only?”

 

“We didn’t want to worry you. You were finishing your last year in university. He’s in Seoul Hospital, room 102. Doctor says he’s not going to survive for long after all the operations. Hurry-”

 

So Min did not wait for her dad to finish his sentence. She was already out at the door. She rushed to her car and fumbled with her car keys. All the while, praying that she wasn’t too late.

 

……………………………

 

“I’m coming up now,” said Hyun Joong into his phone to his dad. The elevator reached to his destined floor. He exited the elevator and walked to his father’s office. He opened the door with the label ‘CHAIRMAN’ on it. “I’m here,” said Hyun Joong as he leaned to hug his dad. It has been such a long time since they last met.

 

“Hey dad, you looking good.”

 

“Yeah, not as good as you,” his father chuckled.

 

“I have to agree.”

 

“Don’t be so full of yourself.”

 

“Hey, you complimented me.”

 

Hyun Joong pretended to be hurt.

 

“Okay, okay.”

 

“So, why am I called here?”

 

“Oh, I wanted to tell you that I’m going to retire soon. So, I want you to work here as the CEO. I will retire once I think you can handle ‘Kim Modeling Agency’.”

 

“Okay dad.”

 

That was what he had been expecting to hear. All the courses and late night studying in America was all for his future in handling ‘Kim Modeling Agency’. That was also why he had lost his best friend, Jung So Min. Thinking about her brought back happy memories as well as a few sad ones. But still, he wondered how was she doing now?

 

“Good, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow then, bye. Go and have lunch with your mother. I’ll be back for dinner early tonight.”

 

“Okay.”

 

He left the office and headed to his car. He took out his phone and wondered if he should call So Min. Has she changed her number? It has been two and a half years since he last had any contact with her. He had not left with good terms with So Min and he hopped he could fix it now that he has come back. He decided not to all her. It was still too early to call her.

 

That was what he told himself, but in truth, he still isn’t prepared to face her.