Chapter 7 Funeral

Left and Leaving (Again)

 

 

So Min stood the nearest to the coffin as the coffin was lowered. She had held back her tears the whole time, but this time, she could no longer hold it. She started crying softly. Tears stained her dry cheeks wet.

Hyun Joong saw her crying. His heart ached with pain. Seeing her cry alone was unbearable. No matter how much she still hated him, he decided he had to console her now, as her husband, as a friend. He walked over to her and placed his arms over her petite body. She did not pull away and cried onto his chest.

She was feeling pain. Real pain in her heart. When Hyun Joong hugged her, she did not pull away because she needed him. She needed someone who could console her, give her warmth when she needed it.

The coffin was lowered and was soon covered in soil. A tombstone with carved letterings over it said,

In Loving Memory of

Jung Tae Hoon

1929-2010

May He Rest In Peace

The last line was specially inserted because of So Min’s request.

“Grandpa, I have done what you wanted me to do. I have married Kim Hyun Joong. I really hope you will no longer suffer and be happy ‘up there’. I love you, grandpa,” said So Min as she laid a white rose on his grave.

Everybody took turns to say something and to put their white rose on the grave. The funeral finished at 8 p.m. Hyun Joong took So Min back to their house. When they reached the house, So Min just went upstairs and into her room.

So Min had not eaten lunch as well as dinner. Hyun Joong prepared some kimchi and rice. He brought it up to So Min’s room.

“So Min, come and eat some dinner. I cooked a simple meal.”

“No thanks, I’m not hungry.”

“Come on, you have not eaten since afternoon.”

“I have no appetite, just go.”

He could hear her voice breaking. He decided that he would let this go. But she must eat tomorrow.

“Fine. Good night, So Min.”

“Good night, Hyun Joong.”

He opened the door and started to walk out when he heard So Min call him.

“Hyun Joong.”

“Yes?”

“Thanks. Thanks for being there for me today. I really appreciate it.”

“It’s okay. I’m your husband remember? It’s my duty to be there.”

“Still, thanks, okay. See you tomorrow morning.”

“Okay.”

Hyun Joong exited the room and made his way down to have dinner himself.

That night, So Min cried herself to sleep. She knew she had to be strong and stop crying and live happy again. She just had to cry tonight. At least tonight.