Chapter 3 Marry??!!

Left and Leaving (Again)

 

 

“Grandpa,” cried So Min as she rushed into room 102.

 

“So Min,” said her grandpa weakly.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were sick. I would have come back immediately,” said So Min holding back tears.

 

It was true. She as willing to do anything for her grandpa. Her grandpa was the closest to her in the family. Even closer than her parents. He was the one that had comforted her when Hyun Joong left for America, bought her sweets when she was younger, taken her out when her parents were busy. He was her father and mother all together.

 

“That was why, I did not want to tell you, I know you will do that,” said her grandpa weakly.

 

He had wanted her to come back when he was in pain but somehow he had not have the heart to stop her studies half way just for her to come back. But now that she was back, he just wanted one more thing. He wanted to see her marry. Not marry anyone, but someone he could trust to leave his belovedgranddaughter to. He would have to make that decision fast. His health was failing him slowly. Time was running out.

 

“You’re right. I will have done that. I should have done that,” said So Min.

 

“No, I’m still alive right, right?” said her grandpa trying to make a joke.

 

“Grandpa!!” said So Min shocked to hear her grandpa making a joke out of something serious like death.

 

“Okay, So Min. Remember,” his voice got serious, “I’ll always be there for you, even if I die. I will make sure there is someone there for you before I leave this world, okay. He will replace me by taking care of you,” said her grandpa getting softer with each word.

 

“He?”

 

“Yes, he. Can you do something for me, So Min?”

 

“Yes, anything!”

 

“Can you marry anyone I pick? My last wish is to see you get married. I know it’s a bit early but still… ?”

 

“What! Marry?! I’m only 21.”

 

“I know but can you please fulfill my last wish, please So Min?”

 

She really couldn’t say no. Not when her grandpa was pleading her like this.

 

“Fine,” she gave in.

 

“Thanks, I’ll talk to your dad. Ask him to come over today after work.”

 

“Okay, I’ll call him now.”

 

She went out to call her dad.

 

“Hello, dad.”

 

“Yes, why are you calling? Did something happen to grandpa?”

 

“No. No, calm down. Grandpa says he wants to see you after work.”

 

“Okay, tell him I’ll come once I’m done with my work.”

 

“Okay, bye.”

 

She went in back into the room.

 

“He said he’ll come once he finishes his work.”

 

“Okay, that’s good.”

 

She sat down to talk to her grandpa but what was really on her mind was about the marriage. Who was she going to marry?

Despite her promise, she was still afraid of her grandpa’s choice of her husband. She can just hope it’s the right one.

 

……………………………

 

“Hey dad,” said Mr. Jung to his dad as he entered the hospital room.

 

“Son, do you know why I called you here?”

 

“No, why?”

 

“I want to discuss with you regarding So Min’s marriage.”

 

“Marriage?! With whom? She never said she was getting married.”

 

‘I have not decided. That’s why you’re here.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Seeing So Min marry is my last wish. She has agreed. I will choose her future husband. Do you have any suggestion?”

 

“What? She’s still so young.”

 

“That’s why. When I’m gone. I want her to have someone she can rely on, someone to protect her, to be there for her.”

 

Oh, I guess it is okay then. Her mum me and is not always there also. We are away half the time.”

 

“That’s what I meant. So, any suggestions?”

 

“I can’t think of many suggestions now. Give me a minute.”

 

He ransacked his brains for suitors but no matter how hard he thought, he kept coming back to one guy. Kim Hyun Joong.

 

“I only have one suggestion.”

 

“Who?”

 

“Kim Hyun Joong.”

 

“Oh, I have met him before. He was So Min’s best friend right?”

 

“Yes, he was. That was before he went to America.”

 

“I know. He’s a fine lad. Meet up with his dad and ask his permission.”

 

Grandpa knows he has found the right guy. Kim Hyun Joong had been best friends with So Min. He would know her well. He could leave his granddaughter in his hands.

 

“Okay, I’ll tell you the results tomorrow.”

 

“See you tomorrow.”