Chapter 20 NOW SHOWING: Shocking Revelation

Left and Leaving (Again)

 

Tae Sung called again the next day. So Min was having breakfast with Hyun Joong when he called. Hyun Joong was spreading jam on his bread whilst So Min was drinking her coffee.

“Morning, Jung So Min speaking.”

“Hey, it’s Tae Sung here.”

“Oh, Tae Sung…hi,” said So Min.

The hand that was applying jam on bread stopped as a pair of eyes that she had grown accustomed to, turn to look at her with a questioning glance. So Min shrugged.

“Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to catch a movie and then dinner. Since I’ll be starting work in 2 days, I wanted to catch a Korean movie at the cinema and then dinner with a friend. Is that okay with you?”

‘It sounded more like a date,’ was what So Min wanted to say but since ‘nothing happened’ she suppose it was fine, but today was Saturday and she wanted to go out with Hyun Joong. Perhaps it’s time for her husband and her best friend to meet.

“Sure, we can go but…”

“But?”

“Can I bring Hyun Joong? I want you guys to meet,” said So Min. Hyun Joong glanced at her, his eyes questioning her.

“I guess. If he wants to, he can come; so 2.30 pm, Seoul City Mall; alright with you?”

“Sure. I’ll see you there.”

So Min put down the phone and faced Hyun Joong. She told Hyun Joong about the phone call and was surprised when he agreed easily. They left for Seoul City Mall an hour before 2.30pm so that they have lunch before seeing Tae Sung. Hyun Joong met Tae Sung formally at 2.30 pm at the entrance of the cinema. Introductions were made, short, curt and precise.

“Hyun Joong, meet Tae Sung; Tae Sung, meet Hyun Joong,” introduced So Min.

“Nice to meet you,” said Tae Sung, offering a hand.

“You too,” said Hyun Joong, shaking the offered hand.

Tae Sung turned his attention to So Min, “So what should we watch? A chick-flick? Romance?”

What did he think this was? A date? Hyun Joong silently fumed.

They finally agreed on watching a romantic film, 200 Pounds Of Beauty. They bought popcorns and entered the cinema.

“Yah, Hyun Joong ah, can you be a bit friendlier?” asked So Min, pulling Hyun Joong to one side.

“Sure,” said Hyun Joong but the situation only seemed to get tenser when Tae Sung decided to sit next to So Min making Hyun Joong sit next to Tae Sung. Tae Sung and So Min shared popcorn whilst Hyun Joong had one all to himself.

So Min was stuck. She wanted to spend time with Hyun Joong today and with Tae Sung blocking her view of Hyun Joong, things weren’t looking great. Why was Tae Sung acting like this? She had decided to forget the ‘I love you’ thing but by the way things were going, it only confirmed that her ears were alright. So Min took out her phone and quietly texted Hyun Joong.

Hyun Joong was surprised when he felt a vibration in his pocket. He had strictly told his staff not to bother him today. He quietly took out his phone so as to not bother the other viewing patrons.

‘Hyun Joong, you okay?’

Hyun Joong smiled at the text. So Min’s mind was still on him.

‘Yeah, I’m fine. You?’ he quickly replied back.

A quick vibration in his palm signaled that So Min had replied back.

‘I’m okay. J’

Hyun Joong stretched his head and flashed her a quick smile, and resumed watching the movie, his mind at peace.

The movie finished at 5.00 pm sharp.

“So, where should we go for dinner?” asked So Min.

“How about the BBQ restaurant over there?” said Hyun Joong as he pointed towards the restaurant to their right.

“Okay with you?” asked So Min to Tae Sung.

“Sure, let’s go,” replied Tae Sung.

“I’m just going to go to the bathroom for a while. I’ll see you guys at the restaurant?” asked Hyun Joong.

“Okay,” agreed So Min as she left with Tae Sung for the restaurant.

The BBQ restaurant wasn’t pack yet as 5.00 pm was considered an early dinner. They seated themselves at a table at the corner.

“So Min, about the night we had soju, did I say anything embarrassing?”

‘Why did he keep going back to that topic?’ She wanted to still be friends with Tae Sung. She did not want complicated feelings to come between them.

“Don’t worry, you said nothing embarrassing. I was too drunk myself as well.”

“Oh, that’s great,” he sighed in relief, “So if you were drunk, who sent me back then?”

“Oh, Hyun Joong called, so I told him where we were and he sent you back to your room.”

Hyun Joong sent him back. Tae Sung found it hard to believe that the cold man of only a few words had a heart big enough to send him back. Talking about Hyun Joong, he did not know what was wrong with his behavior today. He didn’t even know what their relationship was and there he was going all territorial; but coming back to the question that has been running in his head, ‘What was the relationship between Hyun Joong and So Min?’

“That’s great. Um, So Min, I’ve been wanting to ask you this for quite some time.”

“Go ahead, ask,” said So Min as she sipped on the Diet Coke she had ordered a few minutes earlier.

“What is the relationship between you and Hyun Joong?”

So Min wiped her lips with the tissue next to her and glanced up at Tae Sung’s face.

“Didn’t I tell you? He’s my husband.”