Chapter 6

DREAM BRIDE

A/N: green bold letters are dream flashback, blue italics are Jiyong's thoughts

------------------------------------------------------------

Dara goes back to the kitchen and see her sister talking animatedly with Jiyong. 

"So Mr. Kwon..."

"Aigoo...Mr. Kwon is my grandfather. Call me Jiyong."

"I can't do that. You're older than me. You're like the same age as unnie, right?"

"Who are you calling old?" 

"Unnie, you know you are. Even if you don't look it," Minzy looks at Dara for a bit then turns her attention back to Jiyong. "Anyways, what about oppa? Can I call you oppa?"

"Of course. I can call you dongsaeng."

"I'm cool with that. So oppa, what made you turn to photography?"

"Well, my harabeoji gave me my first camera when I was 10. I started taking pictures of everything, The feeling of capturing a special moment and freeze it in time, I can't really describe the feeling. When I look through the lens of my camera, it gives me a new perspective on things."

"I see. I can sorta understand that. So have you been to a lot of places?"

"I don't know if you could call it a lot. But I've been to 5 of the 7 continents."

"Wow. That's cool. So aside from taking pictures, what are your other interests?"

"I like going into different countries and learning about their culture. Their beliefs, folk lore."

"You mean like legends and stuff?"

"Yeah...those kinda stories intrigue me."

"We have a legend in our family."

"Really? Interesting, what is it about?"

"Minzy-ah, I don't think Jiyong-sshi needs to hear about that."

"He just said he likes those kinds of stories. My sister doesn't believe in it."

"So what is it about?"

"Well, according to Park Family legend, a long time ago there was an old lady  that was being harrassed by these drunk guys. Nobody dared to help her except this one woman. I think she's my great great great great great ...I don't remember how many greats...but great grandmother. Anyways, after she chased the guys away, the old woman turns out to be a gypsy. As a token of appreciation, she gave my great grandmother a silk nightgown. She tells her that every woman in the Park Family who wears the nightgown on her 25th birthday will dream of the guy she's destined to marry. Her soulmate. If she marries, the guy in her dreams, they will have a long and happy life together."

"Hmmm...I've heard of similar stories before. Can I see the nightgown?"

"Sure. I'll go get it." Dara tries to stop Minzy but fails. 

"It's just an old nightgown. Nothing special about it." Dara murmurs.

"What did you say?"

"Amugeotdo." Dara tries to look busy in the kitchen. She could feel Jiyong's eyes following her. There's just something about her. Some kind of connection. What is it? I've never felt this way before. He snaps out of his trance when Minzy comes back to the kitchen with the nightgown in her hands. She hands it to Jiyong. As Jiyong caresses the material and an image flashes in his mind.

There's a woman lying on the beach lying in wait for him. Her lips begging to be kissed again. He takes his shirt off and moves towards her. Moving his face closer to hers, he captures her lips. His hands moving over her arms and gathering her close. Her fingers pulling his head closer as the kiss deepens. 

The image felt so real that he could feel the blood pooling south of the border. He couldn't picture the woman's face clearly but he knows, as if on instinct, whose lips he had just kissed in the vision. Dara. It's a good thing he was sitting down on the other side of the counter. It would have been an embarassing situation.

"Well, the nightgown, is in pretty good condition. It doesn't look that old. Probably 50 to 60 years." Minzy pouts.

"It doesn't mean the magic is not real." Minzy beams a smile at Jiyong. "So who gets to wear it next?"

"I do but not for another 7 years. If you want a more recent account, ask unnie. She wore it last night."

Dara blushes which makes Jiyong raise an eyebrow. "Jeongmal-yo? And? What's the verdict?"

"It's just a legend and we all know there's no such thing as magic or destiny or soulmates."

"So there was no guy in your dream?"

"Nope." He doesn't know how but Jiyong could tell she was lying.

"Are you sure?" 

Before Dara could answer, her aunt calls her from another corner of the room.

"Dara-yah, can you help me?"

"Oops...duty calls."

"You're such a killjoy, unnie."

"Ara-yo."

Dara leaves to help her aunt bring the food to the table. When her aunt enters, the kitchen table, she turns to Jiyong.

"So Jiyong, you never did tell me the answer to my offer?"

"Offer? What offer, Imo?" Dara asks.

"I told Jiyong he could stay here instead of the hotel. There's plenty of room here."

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annyeong Readers! Here's chapter 6. I haven't gotten the division of chapters right yet. So some chapters maybe long, others too short. Please bear with me. Let me know what you think so far.

Korean words/phrases

aigoo - kinda like korean way of saying oh gee or gosh it's really an expression of different emotions.

unnie - older sister, used by a younger girl for an older girl

oppa - older brother, used by a younger girl for an older guy

dongsaeng - younger sibling, can be either boy or girl

harabeoji - grandfather

amugeotdo - nothing

jeongmal-yo - really

ara-yo - i know

imo - aunt