Chapter 1

DREAM BRIDE

A/N: Red Italics are Dara's Thoughts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ugh...I can't believe I'm doing this."

"Come on unnie! For me, please?"

Dara is in her room with her younger sister Minzy sitting at the foot of her bed. Dara turned 25 today. Her aunt and her sister threw her a memorable birthday party. Now, it's time for her to take part in an age old tradition in her family.

"You know it's just a legend right? It's not true."

"How will you know, if you've never done it before. I wish I was the one dreaming of the man I'm going to marry. I can't wait till I'm 25."

"Aigoo...Minzy-ah...don't grow up just yet. You're making me feel really old."

"You don't look old unnie. In fact, it's like you've never aged at all. I'm so jealous of you."

"Aigoo...Minzy-ah, no need to be jealous. You're just like me. We Park women never age. Look at Imo Eunji. She doesn't look a day over 30."

Dara says as her aunt enters her room.

"Aigoo...Dara-yah...you're still quite the joker. Here it is." Dara's aunt Eunji gives Dara the silk nightgown that's been passed down from generation to generation. 

"Uwa...it's so soft. You're so lucky unnie."

"You'll get your turn too Minzy-ah."

"Imo, can you tell me the story again about the nightgown?" Aunt Eunji sits next to Minzy on the bed.

"You've heard it a thousand times before."

"I know. But I can't get enough of hearing it."

"Arasso. I guess the legend dates back a long long time ago. Several centuries or so, you great great great great great...You know really great grandmother saved this old lady from a bunch men harassing her. After saving the old lady, it turns out she was a real gypsy. She gave our ancestor a silk nightgown and she said, "If any of the women in your family wears this nightgown on the evening of her 25th birthday, she will dream of the man she's destined to marry. And they will have a long and blessed life together." 

Dara takes her bra off and puts on the silk nightgown. The soft fabric glides over her body and gives her a shiver down her spine.

"I'm not gonna dream about anybody. This is not the old ages. Nobody believes in fairytales anymore."

"But you're still going to wear it."

"Well, it is a family tradition. And it's the only way I can prove that it's not real."

"Jamkanman..." Minzy leaves the room and comes back with a bowl in her hands. She then preceeded to throw rose petals on her sister's bed.

"For ambiance...kekeke..." 

"Gomawo dongsaeng. Now I'm gonna go to sleep now." Minzy and Aunt Eunji go towards the door.

"Sweet dreams Dara."

"Yeah unnie. Sweet dreams. Don't do anything...you know..." Minzy says with a teasing glint in her eyes. Dara blushes when she realizes what she was implying.

"Yah! You're too young for that kind of stuff."

"I'm 18. I'm not that young anymore."

"You're still my baby sister. Now, go! How can I sleep with you in here?" Dara says with a smile.

"Sweet dreams unnie. Bow chicka wow wow..." Dara throws a pillow at her door as Minzy closes it. Laughter is heard outside her room.

Dara gets in her bed. She's been sleeping in this room since she was 18. When she and her sister Minzy had to live with her Aunt Eunji after their parents passed away.  Nothing exciting happens in their small town. But for some reason, tonight, the air feels different. Like something epic is about to happen. Nah, nothing is going to happen. Legends are not real. There's no such thing as prince Charmings to dream of. Then her eyelids started getting heavy and she drifted off to sleep.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annyeong Readers! I'm here with my 6th fanfic. I hope you like it. I decided to include Korean words/Phrases again. I'm gonna try and just use ones that you normally hear from dramas and kpop. :D Let me know what you think.

Korean word/phrase

unnie - older sister, used by a younger girl for someone older than her. 

aigoo - kinda like korean way of saying oh gee or gosh it's really an expression of different emotions.

imo - aunt

uwa - sorta like korean way of saying wow

arasso - ok 

jamkanman - wait a minute

gomawo - thank you

dongsaeng - little sibling, someone younger can be for a boy or girl

*A/N update: 8-6-2014 Minor change to the chapter. I was going through the story and I saw some inconsistencies. I had to change Dara's age from 13 to 18 when they moved in with her Aunt after their parent's death.