Chapter 13

DREAM BRIDE

As Dara tries to escape the ballroom, somebody pulls her into his arms and the band starts to play. She knew who it was as soon as their fingers touched. He pulls hers close with his right arm on her waist and their clasped hands on his left shoulder. Her face close to the crook of his neck. They danced to the first dance of the night.

< For The First Time by Kenny Loggins http://youtu.be/v_I-z_AJ_4Q >

Are those your eyes? Is that your smile? 

I've been looking at you forever

But I never saw you before.

Are these your hands? Holding mine

Now I wonder how I could have been so blind.

 

She can feel his breath on her cheek. He could hear the beating of their hearts that's in sync.

"Eodi ka? Where were you planning on running to before I caught up to you?" Jiyong whispers in her ear,

His warm breath tickles her ear. "Nowhere. I was just gonna get some fresh air."

"You know all the guys are looking at me with envy right now."

"Waeyo?"

"Because I am dancing with the most beautiful woman in this room tonight." Dara blushes.

"Flatterer! Well, all your women admirers are shooting daggers at me with their gaze."

"Well, you are dancing with wonderful, handsome me." Jiyong says smugly.

"You're so conceited. It's true... but you need to tone it down a little."

Can this be real, can this be true

Am I the person I was this morning

And are you the same you

It's all so strange, how can it be

All along this love was right in front of me

 

"You know, I've never done this before."

"Never done what?"

"Never danced with the most popular boy in school."

"Wae, that's unbelievable."

"For your information, I was a geek in high school. The ugly duckling. I didn't turn into swan until later in life. I bet you've had girls all over you since what? Elementary school?"

"Well, I'm not gonna lie. I've had girls throw themselves at me since I was 13. I've had my share of relationships. I was careful not to leave little Jiyongs running around. And I tried not to hurt them too much."

"So museun iriya?"

"I grew up. I realized that it's better to get to know the person than just ."

"Jeongmal-yo?"

"Neh. And also, I met this halmeoni in one of my travels. An elder in one of the remote areas I visited. She told me that when you make love with somebody, you give a piece of your soul. And when you make love with the same person over and over, you eventually exchange souls. Which is mainly for married couples. When you make love with different people, in the long run, you might not have any soul left to give to the one who matters. Or worse, you might not have any soul left in you."

"I never thought of it that way." 

"So, why aren't you with that special someone tonight?"

"Who says I'm not?" Jiyong pulls Dara closer and stares into her eyes. She could see his eyes darken with hunger mirroring her own. 

For the first time, I am looking in your eyes

For the first time, I'm seein' who you are

I can't believe how much I see

And when you're looking back at me

Now I understand why love is...

Love is...for the first time...

 

Dara's breath hitches. She remembers his smoldering looks from her dream. Her heart starts to beat faster. The music stops and Jiyong pulls her with him towards the balcony doors. She lets him lead her into secluded spot in the corner. A sliver of moonlight shining around them. She knows she needs to keep distance. Since she's supposed to be his assistant/tour guide. But at the same time, she can't think about anything aside from this man. There's something about him. Like an invisible string drawing them together. He pushes her gently towards the wall and trapping her in his arms.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annyeong readers! Here's another chapter. I have a question. Are my chapters really that short? I've seen stories with shorter chapters than mine. I was trying to keep the number of words as equal as possible.

Korean words/phrase

eodi ka - where are you going

waeyo - why

wae - why

museun iriya - what happened

jeongmal-yo? - really?

neh - yes

halmeoni - grandmother