Chapter 25

DREAM BRIDE

Blue italics is Jiyong's thoughts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After dropping Dara off her house, Jiyong heads to the hotel bar to clear his head. Thinking back to what happened before they got back to Seoul made his head hurt. Not normally a drinker, Jiyong has been nursing the same bottle of beer for the last 45 minutes.

What the heck happened? How did everything go wrong at the last moment. I thought we connected the night we made love. And the next morning, everything was going great. Then we had to meet Kiko. Damn, I thought I'd seen the last of her when we broke up. I know what me and Dara had was temporary but why was it that when I heard it out loud from her, it kinda stung. Why do I feel like she was hiding something? ! My head hurts now and it's not even a hangover. 

Jiyong takes the last swig from his bottle, leaves the money and tip on the bar and makes his way to the elevators.

As he enters the elevators, he thought back to Dara's face when they parted. She looked so not how she looked when they first met. Like she was defeated. 

Aissht...I hate this. I hate not understanding what I did wrong. I didn't take her camping to make love to her. Although, I was sorta hoping we would at some point. I thought we connected. We were having fun in Oedolgae. I never asked to see Kiko. She came on her own. Why are women so complicated?

He opens the door to his suite and the first thing he notices was the blinking message light on his phone,

Maybe Dara called me. What if she's been waiting for my call? Maybe she's been missing me and she's coming over? Aisshht...serves me right for not coming straight here.

He puts down his backpack and picks up the receiver. After punching the numbers to retrieve his messages, he was disappointed to hear not Dara's voice but his father's.

"Hello Jiyong. I just saw an article about your exhibit here in Seoul. How are you? I was thinking of dropping by to see you while I have some business there. Call me when you get a chance."

Jiyong deletes the message and angrily slams the phone down.

Mwoya? I'm still trying to figure out what to do with Dara and now I have to deal with him too? Andwae, sirheo...I'm not calling him.

He thought about ignoring his dad's message but he knew he couldn't. He could tell him to not bother dropping by. He dials his dad's number and his call was answered on the first ring.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Oh, naya."

"Adil. Thanks for returning my call."

Jiyong flinched. Hearing his dad calling him son is one of the things he hates most. It's right along there with conversations with his dad.

Kwon Hyunsuk finally acknowledging he has a son is about 27 years too late.

"So, how are you?"

"Na gwaenchanha."

"How's your exhibit?"

"We're opening the exhibit to the public tomorrow."

Jiyong know he sounds like a person talking to a person he hates most right now. Well, in a way he was. He hasn't forgiven his father for abandoning him when he was born. In his opinion, Kwon Hyunsuk is a little late to be wanting a relationship with his son.

"I read a lot of articles about you son. I'm proud of you. Listen, I was thinking of going there to see your exhibit and listen to some of the talks they advertised."

"Waeyo? I don't think it's a good idea. I'm not gonna be here long. After the talks, I'm leaving for South America. Besides, I know you hate traveling. So why bother?"

"Because I want to see my son. Is that so wrong? It's been almost a year since I last saw you."

"Well...a year...2 years or 20 years...what's the difference?"

He hears his father exhale on the phone.

"Is that what this is all about? Me not being there for you when you were younger? I want to spend more time with you now."

"Waeyo? I don't think we have anything to talk about."

"You're the family I have left. You're my son. You matter to me."

"You know Hyunsuk, you took too long to realize that. I needed you when I was growing up. I don't need you right now."

"My abeoji, your harabeoji, took great care of you."

"He did his best, more than I could say about you. But you know how he is. I can't even count how many times he was so into his work that he forgot about me and left me behind somewhere. You weren't there. You were too busy trying to forget you had a son. Just because you decided to change your mind, doesn't mean I have to care."

"We're family. You're my son. I' not giving up on you."

"Your decision. I'm still not gonna change my mind."

I guess you got the stubborness from me. It's a Kwon trait. Have a safe trip Jiyong. I'll talk to you when you get back. Saranghamnida adil."

Jiyong ended the call without saying goodbye. He stared at the phone, hating both his father and himself. His father for trying to come back into his life now and himself for being such a bastard. 

I wish it didn't matter. I wish it didn't hurt. But dammit, I wish I didn't understand his standpoint too.

Kwon Hyunsuk loved his wife Eun Ju so much that when she died, he didn't know how he could live without her. Jiyong didn't ujnderstand his devotion but he respected it. If only he could have given some of that devotion to his son. Instead he left his son to the constant care of nannies and moved to an apartment on his own. When his grandfather came, he's traveled with the old man. The first time Jiyong met his dad was when he was 25. 

Jiyong leaned back on the couch and groaned.

This is too much. I can't do this. I don't want to be alone. 

But he was in a strange city and he didn't really have any friends here. Actually, there's only one person he wished to see right now.

He looked at the clock. It's 10pm. She's probably asleep right now. And she's probably still mad at me. But still, his hand grabbed the phone and dialed her number.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"It's Jiyong. I..." What should I say? I guess just tell her the truth. "Nega piryohae. It's not what you think. My abeoji just called. He wants...Ugh. I never know what to say to him. I was a complete idiot. I'm in my hotel room alone and lonely. I didn't know who else to call. I want to see you, hear your voice. I just want to be with you. We're friends right? Or did I mess that up too."

*crickets* If he hadn't heard her faint breathing on the other line, he would've thought she hung up on him.

"It's not about . I swear!"

"Oh Jiyong, you make it so hard for me to be mad at you.Yes we're still friends. Yes, I'll come over. I want to talk to you too. And I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I want it to be about too."

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another chapter done. Sorry if I've been slacking on the updates. I've been kinda in a reading mood lately. I am getting on a writing mood again. So hopefully it won't be weeks before the next update.

Korean words/phrases

mwoya - what the...

andwae - no

sirheo - i won't

yeoboseyo - hello

naya - it's me

adil - son

na gwaenchanha - i'm ok

waeyo - why

abeoji - dad

harabeoji - grandfather

nega piryohae - i need you