Chapter 23

DREAM BRIDE

Blue italics are Jiyong's thoughts. Red Italics are Dara's thoughts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early morning, Jiyong went back down to take pictures of the waterfall. He didn't have the heart to wake up Dara who looked so peaceful sleeping. He thought about their night together. He's amazed at how being with Dara felt so right. But at the same time, he knows that he's not ready for a real relationship. He still thinks that he's his father's son and he'll never fall in love.

By the time he got back, Dara was already dressed and was in the process of rolling the sleeping bag. He could feel his pants tightening at the memory but he tried to calm himself down. Dara notices his presence and turns her head to look at him.

"Hey Jiyong! Good morning! Where were you?"

"Oh. Mianhe, I went back down to take pictures of the waterfall in the early light."

"Oh ok. Why didn't you wake me?"

"Because you looked so peaceful and so beautiful while you were sleeping that I didn't have the heart to wake you. Are you mad?"

"Ani. Gomawo for letting me sleep. I guess I was more tired than I thought. I'm usually an early riser."

"Mianhe, I made you too tired." Jiyong said with a mischievous glint in his eye. Dara blushed when she looked at him. 

"Anyways, what's next?"

"Well, what do you want to do?"

"Take a shower?" '

Jiyong chuckled.

"Ok. We can do that. What else?"

"Maybe we can go sightsee?"

"Ok. We can do that too. Why don't we go back to the cabin and get cleaned up and then go sightsee."

They made their way back to Youngbae's cabin. Got cleaned up and had lunch with their hosts. They went to a nearby tourist spot called Oedolgae. 

Oedolgae also known as Oedolgae Rock is an amazing rock formation 10 meters in circumference and 20 meters in height and is also known as Changgun Rock. It is surrounded by beautiful islands. The day was a beautiful day for sightseeing. So a lot of people were out and about. Dara saw the women checking out Jiyong as they walked by. It irritated her how they tried to get his attention and she couldn't do anything about it. She wanted to link her arms with his to say he's hers but she didn't. She noticed Jiyong looked like he didn't notice them. And that pleased her entirely.

Other than that, they had fun. They took lots of pictures.

"This place is great. Even if I've been here before, there's always something new to see. Don't you agree?"

"Uh huh. This is my first time in this place."

"Nado. I wish we can stay longer. But in a few weeks, I'm off to South America."

Jiyong turns away from Dara to snap another photo so he didn't see Dara's smile falter. 

Oh yeah, that's right. He's leaving. For a moment there, I forgot that he'll be gone in a few weeks. Of course, he's not gonna stay. A man like Jiyong can never be content staying in one place. I just forgot that he'll be leaving soon. 

Dara looks at him longingly as he snaps photo after photo of their surroundings. A boy approaches Jiyong and asks him a question. Jiyong kneels down to be at the same level as the boy and answers the boy's question. His hands moving as he talked. She remembers how the same hands lit her nerve endings on fire. She blushes at the thought.  I'm so lucky to be with him. I can listen to him tell his stories all day long. 

Suddenly, everything clicked. It made her happy and sad at the same time. The reason why she was disappointed when her dream ended. The reason why she was irritated with the girls who were flirting with Jiyong. She'd done the very thing she vowed not to do. She'd fallen for a guy who leaves everybody behind.

 

Towards the afternoon, they went back to the cabin to gather their stuff so they can go home. As they were about to say goodbye to Youngbae and JiEun. Dara noticed the couple had a guest. As soon as the guest realized they were coming, she stood up and turned to look at them. A big smile was plastered on her face as she saw Jiyong. She ran towards him and put her arms around his neck and kissed a surprised Jiyong right on the mouth. Dara was dumbfounded.

Jiyong realizes what was happening and pried the girl off of him.

"Kiko? Dodaeche mwohae?"

"Jiyong! Bogoshipeosseo. Did you miss me too?" Clamping her arms around Jiyong's neck again.

"What are you doing here?"

Jiyong pries her arms off again and pushes her away.

"A friend of mine saw you in town and I knew if you were here, you're bound to be visiting Youngbae. So here I am. I've missed you so much Jiyong."

"Kiko, I don't know what you've been drinking but we're over, remember?"

"I was wrong Jiyongie. I shouldn't have let you go. Now I'm ready for you to take me back."

Dara cleared and whispered "excuse me." She tries to walk away from the pair.

"Dara, wait!" Jiyong tries to go after Dara.

"Who's she Jiyongie?" Kiko tries to hold on to Jiyong.

"Noh-a! Get off me!"

Jiyong finally frees himself from Kiko and catches up to Dara.

"Dara, let me explain."

"You have nothing to explain Jiyong. We're not in a relationship, so we don't have an obligation to explain our actions."

"I don't want you to misunderstand. I didn't know Kiko was here. And she's delusional in thinking we're getting back together."

"I don't really care Jiyong. I'm not your girlfriend or your wife. We had a wonderful night together. Two consenting adults having fun. You don't have to explain anything to me."

Ouch. I don't know why hearing her refer to our night together as a mere fling hurt. I shake my head to clear my thoughts. "Are we ok? Are we clear that I didn't ask her to come here?"

"Yes. We're clear. Kokchongmara Jiyong. I'm fine."

I'm lying. But I have to be strong. She's lying. We're not fine. She's hiding something.

"You don't look fine. You're hiding something. Marhaebwa."

"Amugeotdo...I just wish...Ani...It's nothing."

She wishes what? Does she want more than what I could give? That's what most women want. Usually these kinds of thoughts annoy me but just thinking about disappointing Dara, letting her down, possibly losing her is making me uneasy. How can I lose something I never wanted or never had?

"We're fine. I'm a big girl. We both knew it was temporary. Can we go home now?" 

She smiled at Jiyong and squeezed his hand. She's hiding something. But as sure as I am that the sun would shine tomorrow. I know she won't tell me what's bothering her.

On the plane ride home, Dara leaned her head on his shoulder. I wish things were different. I wish I could make him stay.

I feel like I've done something really wrong. But what?

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annyeong Readers! Sorry it took me a long time to update. Hope you still like it though.

Korean words/phrase

mianhe -sorry

ani - no

gomawo - thank you

dodaeche mwohae - what the hell are you doing?

bogoshipeosseo - i missed you

noh-a - let go

kokchongmara - don't worry

marhaebwa - tell me

amugeotdo - nothing