Chapter 18

DREAM BRIDE

A/N: Cheonjiyeon Falls is a real waterfall in Jeju. Unfortunately, I've never been there. So the part about camping near the falls is purely a figment of my imagination. You can see the picture of the real falls up top. :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day. Jiyong and Dara got ready for their hike after breakfast. Youngbae drew a detailed map of the trail and the area where they can set up camp. Since Cheonjiyeon Falls is a tourist area, Jiyong wanted to avoid the crowd. Thank goodness Youngbae had connections, so they are able to access the path away from the tourist trails. Youngbae would've come but he didn't want to leave his wife. Jiyong also wanted to have some alone time with Dara so everything worked out fine.

Dara is wearing a yellow tank top with a blue plaid shirt over it and comfortable jeans. She tied her hair in a braid so it wouldn't be in the way while they're hiking. Jiyong is wearing white muscle tee and a red plaid shirt. 

"Are you ready?" Jiyong asks.

Dara sighed and adjusted her backpack. In her mind, she was nowhere near ready. She's been on a few hiking and camping trips before. But it was always with a crowd and never with a man that lit up her insides like the man standing in front of her. 

"Ready Dara?"

"Sure, I can't wait."

"Liar."

"Fine, you got me. I'm just not used to this."

"Keokjeongmara, I'm here, I'll protect you. Let's go.

"Let's go."

They start walking up the trail to the falls. At first, it was just silence. The quiet was making Dara antsy so she decides to start up a conversation.

"So, how long have you and Youngbae been friends?"

"Youngbae? We've been friends since I was thirteen. It was the one time harabeoji decided to stick around Seoul for awhile. He let me finish my high school years here. So Youngbae became my bestfriend. When we left after senior year, we kept in touch. I traveled with harabeoji for another year before I decided to go to college."

"You went to college?"

"Yeah. You think I'm just a professional photographer? Well I am. But if worse comes to worst, I do have my degree in History and Anthropology to fall back on. That's why aside from taking pictures, I like traveling to different places and learning about their cultures and stuff."

"I see. A man of many talents. Are you for real?"

"Are you mocking me?"

"No, I just can't believe they still make guys like you."

"Just FYI, I'm not perfect, I do have flaws."

"I didn't say you were perfect but you are close enough. You're smart, nice, from the looks of it, you're earning good money. And I admit, you're not bad looking. So why are you still single?"

"I guess I haven't met the right person yet."

"You must have a ton of ladies throwing themselves at you."

"There are." Jiyong smirks and Dara almost swoons because he looks so cute when he smirks. "Let's just say I don't want history to repeat itself."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Let's just say, I almost walked down the aisle years ago."

"You did? Can I ask what happened?"

"I found out that she was more interested in my fame than me as a person."

"Nappeun gizibe...I mean sorry, I didn't mean to say it out loud."

Jiyong laughs. Dara looks at him confused. Jiyong flashes her one of his gummy smiles. Dara gets disarmed by his smile.

"Mianhe. I wasn't laughing at you. I was...you took the words out of my mouth. Kiko was a model who wanted fame and fortune. When she found out I didn't care for any of it, she left. At least I found out her true colors before we were married."

"I'm sorry to hear that. But her loss is another lucky woman's gain. Do you... still love her?"

"Actually...now that I think about it, I don't think I ever did. I think I was more in love with the idea of a family than the person I would've shared it with."

"That's sad."

"Yeah. Well, now you know my deepest darkest secret. Now it's your turn. Why don't you have a husband and any little Dara's running around?"

"Who says I don't?" Jiyong looks at Dara shocked. He's never seen any ring on her finger. And as far as he knows, there's only the 3 ladies that lived in their house. Seeing the confusion on Jiyong's face made Dara laugh out loud. Now it's Jiyong's turn to look stumped.

"Nongdam-ieyo. I've never been married and I don't have any hidden kids."

"Whew...you scared me there. So, what's your story?"

"I had a boyfriend a few years ago. I met Donghae after our parents died when I was 18. Minzy was just 11. I kinda struggled with the responsibility placed upon me. I went from having my parents taking care of all our needs to being the one responsible for my younger sister. It wasn't that I was irresponsible, it was just not what I had in mind. I thought that once I'm in college, I get to be free and just worry about me for awhile. Instead, I had to move back in the house and take care of Minzy and get a job to supplement our income. Imo Eunji was still away on one of her trips then. Our parents' lawyer had a bit of difficulty finding her. Donghae was another worker at my first job. He was actually the boss's son but he wasn't spoiled. He understood what I was going through. He became my rock. It wasn't long before we fell in love."

"Sounds like a great guy. What happened?"

"He lied to me."

"He cheated on you?"

"No. He died. A year after we started going out he was diagnosed with leukemia. After my parents death, he knew how I felt about being left behind. He promised me, he'd be with me forever but then he died." 

"I'm sorry to hear that. You loved him that much huh."

"Yeah. He was my first."

"First?"

"Yeah, first love, first boyfriend, first ual partner."

"Oh. Was  there ever anyone else after him?"

"No. Nobody."

"Waeyo?"

"I realized if I didn't get close to anybody, I wouldn't get hurt again."

"That's a shame. You're a beautiful, smart, essentially a great girl. Any man would be lucky to have you. You're meant to have a family of your own."

"And what about you? Don't you think you're meant for the same thing as me?"

"Nah. Unlike you, I don't believe in love, remember? If I ever have a family with someone, it would be unfair to the other person, since love won't be in the equation."

"Ok. I give you that." Dara sighed inwardly.

She wished Jiyong believed in love. The time they've spent together has made her heart start to flutter. The topic is starting to depress her so she decides to change the topic.

"Uhm...Jiyong are we still too far away from the campsite?"

Jiyong looks at Youngbae's hand drawn map. 

"You know what? I think we're almost there. Do you hear it?"

Dara wasn't really paying much attention to her surroundings. She was lost listening to Jiyong's voice. But now that he pointed it out, she could now hear the sound of rushing waters. 

"Yes I can." Dara smiles at Jiyong and Jiyong's heart beats faster. 

They arrive at a clearing where they can set up camp. 

"You know what, I don't think anybody's gonna take our stuff. Why don't we leave our backpacks here and make our way to the waterfalls. I think from what Youngbae told me this is about the right time, when the waterfalls are illuminated. They say the "Hidden Face", a formation of rocks, becomes visible by nightfall."

"Cool. Let's go then."

The duo dropped their camping gear and Jiyong grabs his camera. Dara brought her digital camera too. She wanted memories of her own. They walked towards the bottom of the waterfall. Dara was in awe of the majesty of the scene before her. Jiyong started snapping pictures as soon as they reached the bottom. Dara smiles. Jiyong notices Dara's expression and snaps a picture of her.

Dara is oblivious of what Jiyong is doing so she grabs her camera and snaps a picture of the waterfalls too. When Jiyong was too focused on taking a shot, Dara decides to snap a picture of him when he wasn't looking, She wants to remember this moment with him.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anneyeong readers! Here's another chapter for you. While I was writing this, it made me want to go to Jeju Island just so I can see this waterfall. I know I kept teasing you of mature content. I promise it's coming up next. And I apologize to Donghae fans, I don't hate him, he's actually a bias of mine on Super Junior. I just needed a name for an ex for Dara. 

Korean word/phrases:

Keokjeongmara - don't worry

harabeoji - grandfather

nappeun gizibe - bad girl

mianhe - sorry

nongdam-ieyo - just kidding

waeyo - why

 

*A/N: Minor change on this chapter. The age again. Dara was 18 and Minzy was 11 when their parents' passed away.