Chapter 5

Third Time Lucky? [EDITING]

CHAPTER 5

 

Mandy’s POV

 

It was the weekend and she was trying to watch some TV but gave a frustrated sigh when she realized that none of the channels were in languages she understood. She was getting quite bored sitting all alone in her apartment. Hae Jin had offered to share her apartment with her, but Mandy had politely declined. It was not that she didn’t like Hae Jin; she just liked her personal space too much. Just then her school best friend, Niya called her. She smiled at the phone, remembering that she must be calling to check up on her. Niya knew Mandy too well and knew all her secrets. She always knew the ways to cheer her up. ‘Just what I needed’ thought Mandy cheerfully.

“Hey babe, what’s up?” greeted Mandy

“Nothing much, just frustrated with my life. The usual you know”

Niya was a legal consultant for a construction firm.

 

They talked for a full hour, talking about anything and everything. After she hung up, Mandy decided to start up on dinner. She didn’t feel like cooking much, so it would be ramen noodles for her. That was the one thing that she ate whenever she didn’t feel like cooking.

 

She had just put the water on the stove when her phone started ringing again. “Who could it be now?” she wondered loudly.

 

‘Korean Devdas’ her phone screen flashed. She was confused on why he was calling her at this time.

 

“Hello?”

“Hello, Ji Hoo?”

“Yeah”

“So what’s up?”

“Have you had dinner?”

“Huh?”

“Have you already had dinner or not?”

“Uh no, why?”

“Great! Get ready; I’m taking you to dinner”

“What?”

“Oh, and text me your address after this call”

“Ji hoo, what the hell are you talking about?”

“I’m taking you to dinner, as simple as that. So get ready and text me your address. I’ll come pick you up” he explained slowly each step, as if explaining to a five year old.

Mandy was totally confused on what was going on and why suddenly this plan of dinner, but she had understood this much that Ji Hoo won’t budge from his decision.

“Where are we going?” she asked feeling defeated

“To one of my favorite Italian restaurants”

“What’s the dress code?” she asked

Ji Hoo was first confused at her question but quickly answered “Casual but a little dressy”

He had been confused at her question because he was always dressed that way, be it anywhere he had to go.

“What’s the occasion? Anything special?”

 “I would just like you to meet someone”

“Huh?”, but he had already hung up.

She was totally baffled by his behavior but switched off the stove and went to her bedroom to get ready.

 

Ji Hoo’s POV

 

He was sitting in a corner at the F4 lounge, listening to music from his headphones. Woo Bin and Yi Jung were playing at the pool table and Jun Pyo was competing against Jan Di in the car racing videogame. Ga Eul was supporting Jan Di from the background. All in all a normal evening.

 

Then Yi Jung approached the gaming area and spoke something and all the heads started nodding in agreement. Woo Bin came and stood in front of Ji Hoo and took off his headphones.

 

“Yah, Ji Hoo-ah, we are all going out for dinner to your favorite restaurant. Wanna go?”

“No I don’t feel like it. You all go and enjoy.”

“But Sunbae” Jan Di spoke up “it’s your favorite restaurant and you have to eat something anyways, so please come”

“Can I invite someone then?” he asked

Ji Hoo’s question earned him dumbfounded stares from the gang.

“Yo, our Ji Hoo has got himself a new girl people” said Woo Bin, grinning like a fool.

“It’s not what you think. It’s just a friend.”

“Mandy sunbae?” inquired Jan Di

Ji Hoo nodded his head

If he was going to witness another cozy evening between Jan Di and Jun Pyo, it would be better if he had some extra emotional support.

“Oh, so we finally get to meet the famous Mandy” said Woo Bin playfully “maybe I could go pick her up personally huh?”

“Yah! Song Woo Bin, stay away from her, arasso. She is the first normal friend I’ve had after a long time. Don’t mess it up for me.”

After hearing this comment Jun Pyo started shouting at the top of his voice “Yah! Ji Hoo. What do you mean normal? Am I not normal?”

Jan Di slapped Jun Pyo on the back of his head and said “Yah! Everyone knows you are not normal.” Everyone laughed as Jun Pyo and Jan Di started bickering like school kids.

 

Ji Hoo went ahead of everyone saying that they should get ready and not wait for him and reach beforehand. He would go pick up Mandy and meet them at the restaurant.

 

That had happened 30 minutes ago.

He was now waiting in his car outside the apartment building where Mandy lived. He had texted her a minute ago to ask her to come down. When she showed up, he was quite surprised to see her all dressed up in sophisticated clothes. Her whole personality had changed. She looked like a confident woman out to take on the world in her khaki pencil pants, midnight blue top and beige jacket paired with brown ankle length low heeled boots, a sling bag and chunky gold earrings matching the print on her top. She completed her look with some sort of messy yet sophisticated side bun with kohl in her eyes and just a touch of cinnamon lip color.

 

“Do I not look okay?” Mandy asked Ji Hoo when she saw his reaction.

“Um, yeah, um, you look different”

“Good different or bad different?”

“Good different”

“Oh, then it’s okay”

“How would you have reacted if I said you looked bad?”

“I would’ve gone back to my apartment to change” she simply said.

Ji Hoo just chuckled and pinched her cheeks lightly. “Let’s go”