Chapter 4

Third Time Lucky? [EDITING]

CHAPTER 4

 

“What would you like to have?” asked Ji Hoo.

He and Mandy had come to a café near their campus to grab something quick to eat.

“An iced cappuccino with 4 teaspoons of sugar and a sub sandwich on parmesan oregano bread with cucumbers, pickled olives, onions and mayonnaise.” She said, as if it was on the tip of her tongue.

Ji Hoo chuckled. “That was quite specific.”

Mandy turned an embarrassed red when she realized her mistake, the café might not have all those things and she was sure she had sounded like a snob to Ji Hoo. “I’m sorry, a cold coffee and a veggie sandwich please.”

“Why did you change your order?” asked Ji Hoo

“I thought the café didn’t have those things and I also didn’t want to sound like a spoiled brat” she said with a small voice.

Ji Hoo chucked, gave the waiter the order, who bowed and then left and turned to face Mandy.

“You know there is nothing wrong with knowing exactly what you want.”

She looked up from her lap and just kept looking at Ji Hoo.

“And they did have all the things you wanted so don’t worry”

She then smiled at him gratefully and clapped happily when the waiter came with their order. Ji Hoo was just having a cup of espresso.

“I feel bad eating alone, please eat something too” insisted Mandy.

“I already ate so I’m not hungry, you eat” said Ji Hoo.

 

“So, Ji Hoo, tell me something about you.” Mandy had just finished her sub and started on her cappuccino when she said this.

“What do you want to know?”

“You know, the usual; about your family, your friends, your interests, your love life” she asked the last parts while wiggling her eyebrows.

“Well my parents died in a car crash when I was five, my grandpa left me because of that but I got back with him four years ago.”

Mandy couldn’t react to what he had said and said so simply.

He continued on with his monologue.

“I have the three best friends in the world and together we are called the F4.”

“The what?” Mandy asked with a quizzical brow on her face.

“The F4. Or Flower 4.” Ji Hoo elaborated.

“Huh?! What? Why?” Mandy prodded, thoroughly confused.

“Uh! You’ll find out sooner than later….” Ji Hoo repeated casually.

“Anyway, moving on, we have known each other since kindergarten and are still very tight knit. They were the only family I knew when I was young.” Ji Hoo continued.

“But how did you fend for yourself if your grandfather left you?” Mandy had tried to keep quiet but she just had to ask.

And in the next 45 minutes what followed was the ‘The Life of Yoon Ji Hoo’ till date, in brief.

“And we all decided to go celebrate their engagement.” Ji Hoo had never felt so relieved to share his feelings with anybody. Why hadn’t he done this before? He thought and realized that other than F4 and Jan Di, he didn’t really talk to anyone.

The thought of Jan Di had brought a grim look on his face and Mandy knew that it was time to stop their little chat.

 

“OMG we will be late for our next class if we don’t rush now.” Ji Hoo caught on with what she was trying to do and smiled gratefully at her. They got up and walked to the car.

Even in the short ride back, Mandy understood that he wanted to be left alone, so she didn’t utter a word. They walked into the building and Ji Hoo collided with a girl with pigtails at whom, Mandy realized, Ji Hoo was sneaking glances at the club. ‘So this is my Korean Devdas’s Jan Di’ she thought, giving the girl a full over. She then ran after Ji Hoo, who after seeing Jan Di, had started walking very fast towards the classroom.

 

He took a corner seat at the back and Mandy sat in the chair next to him. For the first 2 seconds nothing happened, and then suddenly Mandy hugged him from sideways. She didn’t ask him anything, nor did she say anything. They just sat there hugging, and Ji Hoo was much grateful for it. When everyone started filing in, they resumed their positions. During the whole class Ji Hoo kept sneaking glances at Mandy, thinking why he had felt compelled to tell her his life story. As for Mandy, she was just happy to find a friend in this unknown place.