Chapter 16

Third Time Lucky? [EDITING]

“Ta-da!” Ji Hoo, Jan Di and Mandy shouted in unison as Woo Bin entered the karaoke room.

Mandy had seen the karaoke bar sign as they had driven to the boutique earlier in the day. She had sent Ji Hoo and Jan Di and told them to hide the identity of the bar somehow and leave the rest to her. Karaoke was one of the things that no matter from where, everyone enjoyed as an activity with friends and it was quite popular in South Korea too.

 

“What the hell is this?” asked Woo Bin

“Well we saw that you were quite upset today and thought that this would cheer you up.” Mandy said sweetly, like a kid trying to make the elders understand. “Do you like karaoke? I thought as it is quite common around here, you might enjoy it.” She said looking for a sign of annoyance but Woo Bin smiled and rubbed her head fondly “I do like karaoke, thank you”

 

Everyone cheered and the Woo Bin took the mike and started singing Emptying by T-max. Even though Mandy couldn’t understand a word, she danced to the music.

Then Jan Di started singing a peppy number and Ji Hoo and Woo Bin made funny faces. Mandy started clicking their pictures and they exaggerated their expressions even more.

Next Ji Hoo was up and he started crooning to ‘I’m Yours’ by Kim Hyun Joong, in a voice so soft and sweet that even though Mandy couldn’t understand a word, she felt herself getting lost in his voice. When he finished the song, Mandy just looked at him with eyes that had awe, wonder, pride and a hint of love all mixed together.

“Damn, you can sing.” She said in funny way to try to lighten up the mood. “Ok Bhai, now it’s your turn again” she said.

“But it’s your turn” Woo Bin argued

“I’ll join in after you” Mandy said

“Ok then” and Woo Bin again took the stage.

 

“Now it’s your turn” Woo Bin handed the mike to Mandy as he finished his song.

“Okaaay, what do we have here? Ooh they even have Hindi songs!” she said excitedly as she clicked on the title and started singing one of her favorite songs.

 

As she finished the song Woo Bin, Ji Hoo and Jan Di gave her a standing ovation and she bowed in front of her ‘audience’.

“You can sing too” said Ji Hoo as Mandy sat down next to him.

“I try” she said smugly and sat like a queen afterwards.

Ji Hoo shook his head and smiled at her behavior; a habit he had developed being around her.

 

The karaoke session continued on for about half an hour when everyone decided it was time to wrap up for now but would continue when everyone was gathered.

 

“Thank you Mandy, for this surprise” Woo Bin said to Mandy as they were moving towards the exit. Jan Di had gone ahead with Ji Hoo to pay the bill and bring the car around.

“It was my pleasure; because of this I enjoyed myself a lot too. But next time when you’re upset, share it with someone; it’ll make you feel better. By the way what was eating you up today?” Mandy asked

“Just girl troubles, I’ll handle it.”

“It doesn’t hurt to share; I may be able to help you.”

“The night before yesterday, I was in the club and two girls got in a fight because of me and it would’ve been fine if it was one like I’ve seen before; the verbal ones. This one got too harsh and both the girls were bleeding. I told my guys to take them to the hospital and assure that they went home safe.”

“How did the fight start?”

“Both the girls were trying to win my attention”

“And you tried to handle both?”

“No, I was trying to avoid them both. Actually I was trying to avoid everyone; I didn’t feel like socializing and I went to the bar just for a drink but these two swarmed me and just stuck to me like glue. I’m really frustrated with these bimbos.”

They had now reached the door and were waiting for Ji Hoo and Jan Di.

 

Mandy saw a photographer hiding behind a post box on the other side of the road and trying to click their pictures without getting noticed. She had an instant idea of how to fix Woo Bin’s problems.

“Oh, poor baby, come here” she said inviting him into a hug. Woo Bin hugged her because he knew that their relationship was a not one of lovers but was a little surprised himself when she kissed him on the cheek as they were ending the hug. The paparazzo was having the best field day.

 

Woo Bin didn’t get a chance to ask further questions as the next second Ji Hoo’s car screeched to a halt in front of them.