Darkness

Their Powers

Sehun was making a mess with the leaves when he was controlling the wind. Luckily, Luhan managed to put them where they should belong, under their corresponding trees. Suho was taking an eye on me and Kris was pointing Sehun where we should go. Chanyeol and Baekhyun looked too excited to kill hundreds of people right now. And Xiumin still pitied me and regretted saying I should be Luhan’s assistant when I fail.

Chen still looked hurt about what happened earlier. I wanted to know more about his and Choi’s past but I’d rather not ask right now. The wound was still fresh in his heart. KyungSoo looked he was longing for his mate. Whoever she is, KyungSoo loved her very much and couldn’t let her go even if years pass by.

The others were left back to take care of Choi and check if she won’t cause any mischief. Suho didn’t want anything to happen again and maybe, he wanted to prove Choi did change. He was grasping on that hope. Maybe his reason was he wanted his pack to be whole, even if KyungSoo’s mate died. He wanted his family complete. He just doesn’t tell us.

After a few minutes, around a half hour or so, we reached our destination. It was an isolated street with houses lined up in both sides of it. I say it is isolated because trees were covering the streets towards the main city. Some lights were on while most were already off. This is where they usually hunt, especially when humans are investigating for the existence of werewolves.

Kris turned to us and explained the plan. He divided us into pairs and I was lucky enough to have Xiumin as my partner. But I still preferred Chen. Xiumin is better than Luhan anyways and also Chanyeol, that man is too violent for me. Xiumin and I turned into wolves and slowly crept in the bushes to see what we can hunt.

I was still against this though.

I’m only doing this to avoid being Luhan’s assistant.

That arrogant jerk.

“See that?” Xiumin turned into his human form and so did I. He pointed at a family having a BBQ and they were clearly enjoying. I automatically remembered my foster parents. They never did give me enough attention or nearly treated me as one of their own. They hated me. And that’s why their lives were miserable. I accidentally made them enter a world full of darkness. I put them in they can’t have their fantasies and they need to face reality.

And I also wonder now, where my real parents are. After all those years, they never contacted me or whatever. The only thing left to me from them was the symbol of me being a wolf. The symbol on my wrist was cloak with a skull on it. It glows blue-green like the others if I activated my power to more than its minimum extent.

“You have to concentrate on them and have your symbol glowing,” Xiumin’s eyes grew red as he said that. “Then when the darkness eats them away, you can make them kill themselves. Reality can be so harsh that humans give up so easily. That may be the true motive of your power,” he told me as I prepared to attack the family.

I will feel guilty after doing this. Killing an innocent family is evil. This is something they will do and I don’t want to be reduced to someone like them. I don’t want to kill. “Go, if you have the guts,” Kai appeared behind us with a smug smirk on his face. “Go on, be a wolf. It’s either your soul as a wolf or your humanity, Sujin. Take your pick,” he said before disappearing into smoke.

“I never knew wolves have souls,” I whispered before I lost my humanity and tackled the family. They didn’t have any time to scream or call for help. I let my power consume me again and now, their screams were silent like they feared. The father was already losing his sanity as he remembered all the bad things he has done. I saw traces of blood in his hands and I hear the sharp scream of a woman in his mind.

And then it occurred to me, he killed someone before.

The mother was silent and appeared calm. But I hear her thoughts repeating about another man in her life and why her family should not know about this. But the darkness consumed her further; she was the reason why a person in her high school killed herself. She was a bully. Soon, the darkness crept on her mortal body and ate her away.

“Mom!” Both kids screamed. They were so afraid of what was happening. And when I snapped out of my daze, I was afraid too. Why was I doing this? Yes, I know these people committed grave faults but still, they shouldn’t be put through this. When Xiumin noticed my hesitation, he jumped out and froze the kids.

I dropped to my knees as my own power dawned upon me. I was scared of this. I was always scared of being a wolf. I was scared of killing people and losing my humanity. But now, here I am, tormenting these people. I was reminding them of what they did. I was pushing them to the ridge so they can jump off themselves.

Xiumin finished the job for me and froze the hearts of the children and the father. He hugged me and I felt the frost developing on my shoulder. “Calm yourself down or your own power will consume you,” he whispered in his icy breath. I wanted to cry right now. I wanted to stop being a wolf right now.

But in this world, you can’t have everything you wanted, even if it’s something simple.

Like I always wanted a normal life.

Xiumin looked around, trying to find another member of our pack. Wow, I actually counted myself part of those murderers. The darkness even made Xiumin flinch because of his hold on me. “Calm yourself down, Sujin. Control your power,” he kept on telling me. The darkness was already covering his lower body.

How can I control my power? No one has told me how to. I don’t have any idea. Darkness wasn’t something you easily control. Everyone has that darkness in their hearts and the darkness in mine was eating me away. I wanted to control the power, I wanted to stop myself from being in pain.

But I can’t, I’m too afraid of the power given to me.

“Calm your…” Xiumin then collapsed in front of me, his arms slipping from my neck. “Xiumin-oppa!” I then screamed as my eyes widened. “I knew it was impossible for you to control your powers,” I heard a familiar voice say.

“It’s impossible to control something you never wanted in the first place,” I told Luhan as I sat down and put Xiumin’s head on my lap. “What are you doing? Shouldn’t you call the others now, Luhan-oppa?” I turned my head with a glint of hatred in my eyes.