Darkness + Frost + Flight

Their Powers

Everyone felt uneasy because of Chanyeol and Choi’s idea, especially Luhan. I noticed his discontented frown when the people around us were agreeing to the idea. No one wanted to expose the dark truth they buried in time’s books but Chanyeol did say I needed to know more. And they needed to know my past. It benefitted us all to build trust with one another but it also hurt us. I took a deep breath before starting my tale.

“I was an adopted child since I was a wee kid. Those people I known as my foster parents treated me like I was the lowest life form they had in contact. I am sure they never tried to… love me and accept me as who I am. They kept repeating I was useless; that it was obvious why my parents left me. I felt like I needed to protect myself; like I needed a fortress to cover myself with. That’s how I discovered my power.” I paused for a moment.

I felt their dagger-like stares stabbing me right now. It was nerve-wrecking of course. I wasn’t used to these wolves listening to what I have to say. They were quiet, a few whispers here and there but mostly my voice was the only thing resounding in the room. “Go on,” Luhan commanded as he signalled me to continue.

“I isolated myself from the world as darkness slowly grew in my aching heart. It was scary, really frightening in other words. I saw nothing but darkness. I hear people’s sharp screams but I can’t do anything when they enter the deeper part of their insecurities and conscience. A lot of people lost their own sanities because of me. I grew up without much company from the humans. They regarded me as a freak and a curse. You know, I only craved for true love. I only wanted someone to love me for who I am.”

I felt like crying as I remembered all of this. It wasn’t the whole story and it was only a summary but still, I wanted to cry. I never wanted to cry for something little like this but reminiscing all of those bad memories made me wanted to release all of the tears I tried to hide over the years I’d lived on this planet.

“You can stop if you want,” Chen offered, having a worried expression on his face. Choi elbowed him when he said that. “She can’t grow stronger without accepting her past, Jongdae,” she shot him a glare which only made him nod. Choi was very stubborn when it comes to strength. “I know how it hurts, Sujin, but this is the only way. If you can’t accept your past, how can you face the future?” She turned to me, with a serious expression on her face.

“I never accepted mine though,” Lay muttered under his breath. “Let her continue,” Luhan hissed at them and looked at me. He was eager to know my story. He looked eager to know why I was like this. He wanted to know what I’ve been through but so to speak, I know everyone here has been through worse than I did.

“In school, I was always an outcast. I was always someone… different from all of my classmates. I was always sent to the principal’s office and I still remember the other child’s cries as that kid points at me. The kid that was crying always says I scared him or her. He or she says I showed her ghosts and all those things that go bump in the night. I never disagreed with them but the principal says it’s impossible for me to show her that. I can’t even make a grammatically correct sentence back then.”

They were all listening carefully. And I only bit my lower lip as I noticed that. They were like wolves listening to their Luna telling her story. “When I entered middle school, around the time you found me, I was in a worse condition. Of course, we all know back in that age we were all going through hell in the form of puberty. And puberty was a lot worse in girls than it is in boys. The girls in my class always pushed me around and called me names. I was sometimes locked in my locker too. I was always the victim. But I never tried to call out for help, because the fear of no one believing consumed me.”

“And so, my power kicked in. Darkness surrounded all of us one day and no one else was around to see it. Their horrified faces brought me pleasure while the full moon was out. What day was it again? Oh yeah, prom night. And then I out. The next thing I remembered was the bloody bodies all over the garden and my used-to-be white gloves tainted with their blood. I was scared someone might find out. I was scared of going to jail. But the scariest thing wasn’t the feeling of getting caught or the feeling my conscience will haunt me, I was mostly scared of what I was capable of doing.”

Suho noticed I might not be able to go on and he turned to Xiumin’s direction. “Would you like to share a bit about your past, hyung?” Xiumin looked like he didn’t want to when I sat near Choi. “That was hard core, Sujin. You murdered those chicks good, I presume,” she said as she smiled at me lightly. This is what I hated about wolves, even female ones, she takes a human life lightly. She thinks it’s easy for me to kill someone which wasn’t.

Xiumin hesitated on standing up but Kris told him to. “Xiumin, that’s the name you all knew me by, right?” He asked as he looked around. All of our eyes were on him right now. It was always like this when he speaks since he seldom does. We all nodded, except for both Luhan and Sehun who knew Xiumin for a very long time. “I was born as Kim Minseok and was the child of a wealthy family here in South Korea. It was fun while I thought I was normal,” he bit his lower lip, looking uncomfortable when he remembered he called himself normal back then.

Nothing was ever normal with wolves after all.

“But that was the least I can call myself. Luhan confessed to me of being a wolf one day in the past and I didn’t believe him. I thought he was crazy. He told me it was true but I never did believe him when we were young. Wolves didn’t exist, my parents told me that enough times already. But one time, when my sister and I were playing, I accidentally froze her heart. It was completely by accident since I tried my best to take care of her.”

Xiumin didn’t look like he will cry anytime soon but with that, I knew he wanted to cry. “If she were still alive today, she would be as old as Chanyeol already. She might’ve had a fun life with her friends, a normal life without me. After my sister’s funeral, my parents confronted me about what I am. And what they were. I discovered I was a wolf. My parents and sister are wolves too. But they tried their best to hide it so we could lead a normal life, unlike theirs. After a few years, my parents did die in the end in the hands of the hunters. The hunters died too, because of my parents. The last survivor, aside from me during the attack was a young girl, the daughter of the hunters. She was the hunter we encountered earlier,” Xiumin elaborated.

“She hates wolves as much as I hate hunters. But we always avoided each other to avoid remembering the past. It was an unspoken but mature decision for both of us. After that gruesome battle, I took the name Xiumin so no one will know of who I was. Now, no one will have a clue where I came from and they won’t judge my family when they see me because I am now Xiumin and not Kim Minseok,” Xiumin ended before sitting down.

“Luhan,” Suho looked at Luhan who felt like he was too lazy to elaborate what happened before or he didn’t want to return to the past. “I’ll be last. I have too much to say,” Luhan said as he avoided Suho’s gaze. Suho only nodded and then looked at Kris. “I guess it’s my turn,” Kris stood up. His height was towering over us like a skyscraper and then he began saying the story of his life.

“I was in the family of basketball players. My father, my uncle, everyone was a known member of a basketball team back in Canada. But when my father got into a scandal, it all changed and my mother decided to move back to China. It was really a big change for all of us but we had no choice. I was Wu Fan. Being Kris happened when my father explained the scandal to me,” Kris said as he paced around in circles, making me a bit dizzy in following him.

“My father’s scandal was not related to any woman but more of, he was rumoured to beat up a player and was called someone of Satanic powers because of how he beat up that player. He explained that he was a wolf and my mother was too. He had supernatural strength like a wolf’s, like KyungSoo’s,” he gestured to KyungSoo who was looking up to him like we all were.

“That’s the reason why the player was deformed. He said I had powers like him and I needed to train them for good. He sent me here to train and that’s when I found my pack, the pack my father belonged too and he was the alpha before. He already told the members of the pack I was going to be the alpha and no one contradicted with his decision. No one contradicted with the alpha after all. That was EXO-M, where all members originally went to China but somehow ended up here,” he explained.

“We consisted of Xiumin, Lay, Luhan, Chen and Tao. We all stuck together and we were contented with only six of us but the hunters became more active that we didn’t have the choice but to join up with Suho’s pack, EXO-K. We stuck like glue ever since but there are times we had enough of each other that we split up,” Kris said before sitting down.

“I guess I’m next,” Suho stood up, with a water ball forming between his two hands. “Listen carefully since I won’t repeat this ever again,” he told us sternly. Of course, we needed to listen. Suho was the alpha after all when it comes to things like this.