Awakening

My Hero In Black

Hongbin watched Sujeong as she slept. Her chest rose and fell as she breathed silently. Seeing her so peaceful and not in pain, made him happy. He reached out and caressed her bandaged cheek, smiling as he thanked the Lord for keeping her alive. Soft beeps came from the heart monitor beside the bed. He sighed. It’s been a four days after the incident and her surgery, but she still has woken up. He got up from his chair which was next to her bed and stretched.

White rays of light were creeping in through the cracked curtains, telling him it was dawn. He yawned. They were in a hospital in Daegu, the same one where her father was currently at. He survived his brain surgery and was currently resting a few floors up. Everyday nurses came in to check on Sujeong, and they always told him to go home to rest, but he refused. He was never leaving her side so he slept and ate in her hospital room, calling a nurse whenever her IV bag needed changing or wiping her face with a warm cloth.

He sat back down again next to her bed and held her hand. “Sujeong-ah, wake up soon.” He spoke. He didn’t realize that someone had entered the room.  “You are a good man, Hongbin…” A familiar voice spoke. Upon hearing the voice, he stood up and bowed. “Good morning, eomeoni!” He greeted. Sujeong’s mother smiled at him as she patted his shoulder. She had aged a lot through the stress of almost losing her loved ones.

“How are you eomeoni?” Hongbin asked as he let her sit in his chair. “I’m fine, thank you.” She replied as she held her daughter’s hand. “Now, tell me Hongbin.” She spoke. “Yes?” He answered. “Who did this?” She asked as she caressed her daughter’s face.

Hongbin stiffened at her question, thinking of a way to answer her. He had almost forgotten about “Her”. His silence only added to her suspicion. She was now looking at him with a frown. “You know this person.” She spoke. He lowered his head in defeat. “Yes…”

“Then tell me. Who is she? What exactly happened?” He nodded and began his story. When he finished, his fist were clenched so hard, his nails bit into the palm of his hands. Sujeong’s mother nodded and listened the whole time. “What happened to her?” She asked when it ended.

He looked at her and he looked almost happy. “She won’t be disturbing us anymore.”

-

*Flashback*
Hongbin pulled off his jacket and covered Sujeong’s torso before carrying her out to look for Hakyeon. Upon killing the last of the gang members, the trio responded to Hongbin’s frantic cries for help. While Hakyeon worked on reducing the amount of blood gushing out of the wound, Jaehwan and Wonsik helped to drag the corpses into the warehouse. Hongbin? He was searching for the girl who started it all. Wang Ji Min.

It took him less than 20 minutes to find her, huddled in a corner somewhere crying. When she saw him in his vampire form, she wasn’t frightened or surprised at all. Instead, she looked even more attracted to him. She reached out for him to hug her, telling him a ridiculous story, that she was kidnapped too and she had nothing to do with Sujeong’s kidnapping and that it was a coincidence that they were both “kidnapped” by the same man.

“Did anyone ever tell you that you are one hell of a y vampire?” She asked flirtatiously.  He could only spit in disgust. He demanded that she told him all of the evil things she has done. It was a one sentence she spoke which sent him over the edge.

“While I was in that cuckoo hospital, I hired somebody to kill a model.”

All those years he wondered if she had just been some victim of a serial killer or rapists, but he knew it. He knew it all along. He doubted it but deep down inside he knew she had something to do with his ex-girlfriend’s disappearance. Now that the truth has been revealed, he didn’t need to hear about her “hard life” or how she managed to hire the same person to kidnap Sujeong. With one swift move, he ended it all. The nightmare for both him and Sujeong can finally be over.

-

Sujeong’s mother, being the emotionally sensitive person that she is, knew that it was best not to ask about Hongbin’s final encounter with JiMin. Instead she asked him, “When was the last time you, had a proper rest?”

Hongbin smiled at her thoughtfulness. “To be honest 5 nights ago but I’m fine really.” He answered. Sujeong’s mother smiled at him. “You know, when I first saw you at my doorstep with my daughter. I knew you were a good man.” Her comment made Hongbin feel special.

“How?” He asked and she laughed. “Well, I guess you have to say that it must be a mother’s instinct.” She replied. “Thank you eomeoni…” He spoke and she shook her head. “No. Thank you for taking care of my daughter and making her happy.”

“Eomma?” A frail voice called from the bed. Both Hongbin and Mrs.Park turned to the bed in surprise. Sujeong’s eyes were slightly opened and she was looking at them. “Where am I?” She asked as she tried to sit up but her mother stopped her from doing so. “Everything’s fine Sujeong. You’re at the hospital and you need to lay down okay?” Her mom talked to her in a soothing manner. Sujeong nodded weakly as she turned to look at Hongbin.

“Hongbin oppa…” She spoke his name with a smile. He smiled back as he walked towards her, planting a kiss on her forehead. “How are you?” He asked her in the same manner as her mother. “I’m feeling quite sore actually. How long have I been sleeping here?” She answered. “Five days. And this wonderful man, has never left your side.” Sujeong’s mother replied as she looked up at Hongbin.

“Oppa you cut your hair.” Sujeong commented with a smile. Hongbin touched his hair and nodded. “Yeah. I did.” He answered and she smiled again. “You look so handsome.” Sujeong’s mother cleared reminding them of her presence. “I’m sorry eomma…” Sujeong apologized with a slight blush appearing on her cheeks. Mrs. Park shook her head. “I understand…”

“How is Appa?” Sujeong asked as she tried to sit up again. This time Hongbin was the one who stopped her. “He’s fine. The doctors say that he isn’t in any danger now.” Mrs. Park answered. “Ah, I just forgot. It’s time for him to take his medicine. I have to make sure he takes them.” Mrs. Park exclaimed as she got up from Hongbin’s chair and made her way to the door. “I’ll see you again soon!” And with that, Mrs.Park exited the room, leaving both Sujeong and Hongbin alone.

They shared eye contact for a moment before Hongbin leaned down to kiss her on the lips which she gladly returned. If it wasn’t for her ability to heal slightly faster than any other human, she wouldn’t be able to do this now. She embraced his neck to pull him closer as the kiss deepened.

“Ewww! Seriously hyung? In a hospital???”

Sujeong let go of Hongbin as he jumped. Behind him stood his group of friends. All 6 of them were there including Hakyeon’s girlfriend Eunyoung. Sang Hyuk had his eyes closed with his hands, making childish noises. Wonsik smiled. Ken and Hakyeon laughed. Eunyoung stood to the side shaking her head. Taekwoon stood quietly in the back with a small smile on his face as he and Hongbin looked each other in the eye. Hongbin mouthed a ‘Thank You’ which he saw and immediately turned away blushing.

“Eonni!” Sujeong exclaimed as she got over the initial shock and laid eyes on Eunyoung. The two girls squealed as they hugged each other. “I’m so glad that you’re fine!” Eunyoung spoke as they let go of eachother.  “Hey I have both of our boyfriends to thank for that…” Sujeong answered. Hakyeon smiled when he heard that. “What are you guys doing here anyway?” Hongbin asked.

“Well….” Sang Hyuk began. “Taekwoon hyung wanted to share some good news and decided to come here to hear it.” Jaehwan added. Now all eyes were on Taekwoon who stood proud and tall. “I made it…” He spoke softly. “What?” Hakyeon asked as he stepped closer. “I’m finally debuting as a singer…” Taekwoon spoke again, this time louder than before. Everyone was speechless for a second or two before Hongbin went to hug him. “Congratulations hyung!!!”

Now everyone was congratulating him even Sujeong, who still hasn’t gotten over the idea that someone who spoke so softly like him could have such a great singing voice. Seeing so many happy faces around them made both Hongbin and Sujeong happier. Now they could finally say that their nightmare was over.

 

 

 

________

Author's Note: As promised a slightly longer chapter~ ^^ It's 1 AM here now and I'm really really sleepy right now~  I hope you enjoyed it and remember to comment~ <3 Good night!