Babysitting (Pt.1)

My Hero In Black

“Aunt Sujeong! Look! Look!” Subin exclaimed for the 20th time today. She was riding on a white fiberglass horse, which went round and round. Yes, she was on a carousel and yes, we’re in a amusement park. Hyebin watched expressionless as her sister squealed with glee, she was holding my hand tightly, being quiet as usual. I sighed, ‘Where is he?’ I thought.  “Sujeong!!!” A voice came from somewhere in the crowd.

-

Two hours earlier….

My brother Junhyuk, and his wife Miyoung, came around 1:30PM the next day, they were both dressed up and their daughters were dressed casually in matching pink dresses. The girls wrapped their arms around my legs and my brother gave me a bear hug. Miyoung, just stood laughing at us as I begged my brother to let go. “God, Junhyuk, even though you’ve gotten a little fat, you still give such painful hugs!” I complained as I massaged my sore arms.  He only smiled his usual gummy smile as he wrapped an arm around his wife. “Not my fault, if you’re so skinny!” He chuckled, earning a light whack on the arm from Miyoung. “Hey, is that what you say to your little sister after such a long time?” She giggled. “Hyebin, Subin! You’ve grown so much!” I said, looking down at my nieces who were flashing me their pearly whites.

Hyebin and Subin are identical twins. They both looked alike in terms of facial features, height and even body  size. The only way I could tell them apart was by their hairstyle and personality. Hyebin, who was the older of the twins, had short hair, which stopped at her jawline, while Subin had long hair,  which fell past her shoulders.  Hyebin was a rather shy girl who would rather draw than to go out and play in the park while her sister, Subin, was an energizer bunny who would run circles around you. Who knew that twins could look so similar but act so differently? Haha.

“I missed you so much Aunt Sujeong!” Subin chirped as she hugged my legs again. Hyebin nodded as she pulled out a drawing from her dress pocket, before giving it to me. “That’s just something she drew in kindergarten yesterday.” Junhyuk explained. She had drawn me, holding hands with her and Subin, using crayons. “You’re giving this to me?” I asked her and she nodded, smiling a little. I squatted to hug her. “Hey! How come I don’t get a hug too?” Subin frowned. I shook my head and pulled her in for a hug too. After I let go and stood up again, Junhyuk pulled me aside before asking me to do him a favor.

“Sure, what is it?” I asked. He scratched the back of his head as he pulled out a colorful invitation card. “Miyoung and I are attending a little gathering today and well, we can’t bring Hyebin and Subin along with us….” He answered. “So you want me to babysit them for you?” I asked and he nodded. “Please Jeong? Miyoung and I have not seen these friends in years….” He pleaded with puppy-dog eyes. I stared at him, at Miyoung and their daughters, and back at him again.  Well, I cancelled my date with Hongbin anyway… “Sure!” I smiled. He smiled back before hugging me again. “Can’t breathe!” I squeaked and he let me go. “Thank you so so much!!!” He said before walking over to tell Miyoung. “Really?” Miyoung asked. “You’re such a sweet girl, Sujeong!” She smiled before hugging me too. The girls just watched with questioning looks on their faces.

Both my brother and Miyoung, told their daughters that they had to go somewhere and they had to stay here with me. Hyebin shook her head not wanting her parents to leave while Subin pouted saying that it wasn’t fair that they weren’t allowed to go. “You can stay here and play with Aunt Sujeong~” Junhyuk tried saying but, Hyebin refused to let go of him. She looked like she was about to cry. I walked over and got down to her level. “Will you let eomma and appa go if I give you a coloring book?” I asked her. She paused for a while before she stared at me with her doe-like eyes. “Coloring books?” She asked softly and I nodded. She let go of her father’s shirt before telling him, “Appa, you can go now…”

Junhyuk’s mouth fell open as he stared at me. “How did you?” He asked. I laughed and punched his shoulder. “Do not underestimate the  power of coloring books Junnie~” I giggled as I picked Hyebin up in my arms. “So its settled?” Miyoung asked and Junhyuk nodded. “She threw me away for a coloring book….” He faked a sob. Miyoung giggled. I smiled at them. Junhyuk oppa used to be very serious and quiet but after he married Miyoung he became a lot more fun to be around.

The girls and I waved goodbye to them as they left in their new imported sedan. Perks of being a doctor I guess… “Does it mean that we can go to Lotte World now?” Subin asked. Hyebin frowned as she stormed into the house. “Let your eonni color in her book first before we go okay?” I answered as I grabbed her hand, and lead her into the house. Boy, am I going to have a hard time with them today. Did I mention that this was my first time babysitting?

-

That’s how I ended up here in the amusement park two hours later, with my two nieces and a vampire named Lee Hongbin. Yes, Hongbin is here too. Currently, he was running towards me with two ice cream cones in his hands. He wore a red cap and a white v-neck shirt over black jeans and red converse.

Hyebin looked at him and immediately tried pulling her hand out of my grip. “Hyebin, no. Wait till Hongbin-ssi gets here…” I warned her. The park was full today as it was a weekend and I didn’t want to risk losing my nieces. Hongbin finally got to us and handed Hyebin the ice-cream cone. “Thank you Hongbin oppa~” Hyebin sang happily. I have a feeling that this little 5-year old is having a crush on my own crush. “Subin looks like she’s having a blast.” Hongbin chuckled as we both watched as Subin rode another round on her horse. “I can’t believe it…” I breathed. “That’s like her 4th round.”

Hongbin shook his head as he gave me the other ice-cream cone and quickly ran up to the carousel once it stopped and pulled Subin off the horse. She screamed and kicked him in the chest but he didn’t even flinch. “I want to ride some more!!!!” She cried. Hyebin was happily her ice-cream which was starting to melt. “Subin! Remember what eomma told you! You’re supposed to listen to grown-ups!” Hyebin yelled. “Do you want to have ice-cream?” I asked her. Subin’s face immediately lit up. “Ice cream? Give it to me!” She demanded. Hongbin walked over to me where she snatched the ice cream out of my grip. Hongbin put her down and immediately grabbed her hand just in case she decided to run off.

As we walked towards a quieter side of the park, I apologized to him for troubling him. “Hey, don’t worry about it. I can see why you wanted my help….” He answered. We sat down at a picnic table where I rested my head on my arm. Yeah, I called Hongbin to help me babysit the twins. I know my brother asked me to do it but honestly, if you have a kid like Subin, you would also wish you could ask for help or clone yourself. So, I called Hongbin immediately right after I got to Lotte World. Subin was trying to drag me towards the rollercoaster and carousel while Hyebin was asking me to go to the gift shop where they were selling all sorts of plushies.

He took Hyebin to the gift shop while I went with Subin to ride the rollercoaster and then we met up at the carousel. There was something about him, which made me trust him with my nieces I just don’t know what… I felt a slight tug on my shirt and I looked over at Hyebin who had finished her ice cream cone. “Are you okay Aunt Sujeong?” Hyebin asked. After riding the scary rollercoaster (I am afraid of heights) and being dragged all over the place by Subin? No. “Yeah I’m fine Hyebin” I smiled. I looked at my watch, it was currently 3:40PM and sighed, Junhyuk and Miyoung won’t be getting back till 8. This babysitting thing is so not my style.... 

 

 

 

 

-

Author's Note: Sorry for the late update! I was constantly typing and re-typing this whole chapter because it just didn't seem good enough~ Oh well! I hope you guys enjoy it! Comments and subscribe~