Potentially Fatal Encounter

My Hero In Black

I cursed under my breath as I tightened the grip on my umbrella. I had missed the only bus home and it was late, meaning that I had no other choice but to walk home. I lived in a small town, not far from the city. It’s not that I hated walking, I just hated walking through this small neighborhood before I could reach my own. This was the shortest route to my neighborhood. The long way round meant that I had to cut through the small forest which was inhabited by four-legged predators of the furry variety. Yes, there were wolves. They rarely come into the neighborhood searching for food as there were only a few of them and there was an abundance of rabbits and other small critters which they could feast on in the forest.

If you’re curious as to why I hated this neighborhood, well….Let’s just say that I have a bad feeling whenever I come through here. Most of the houses here were abandoned, some even on the edge of crumbling in on themselves. There was one house which made ice form in my blood whenever I looked at it, and that was the house at the end of the street which looked like it belonged in a horror film.  If I wanted to get into my neighborhood, I had to cross right through the small alley right next to that house and I just couldn’t stand the thought of it. Whenever I went through that alley, I would feel like I was being watched. I would look up at the window which faced the alley but no one would be there.

‘Come on SuJeong, you can do it… Just sprint through it…’ Was always the mantra in my head as I approached the alleyway.  As I scanned the dark alley, I could make out a figure in the distance. My heart froze as I realized what I was facing. Two golden amber eyes flashed under the flickering of the broken street lamp, I could see the ash grey fur and the muscles which moved under it, as the animal rummaged through the garbage can.  It stopped and lifted its head out of the garbage can and looked at me, its long tongue sliding over its canine teeth which glistened with saliva. I couldn’t move, I was petrified with fear. I was afraid of wolves and never encountered one in this neighborhood even though I’ve been through here a few times.

The wolf stood still as it stared right at me, lips curling back showing off its canines, a low growl coming from within its body. I heard howls not far from where we were and fear was fast consuming my mind. I knew if I turn and run, I would just be announcing myself as its prey so I stood my ground. My legs trembled and my heart was pounding noisily in my chest as if it was about to explode. No way, was I going to break eye contact and reach into my briefcase to get my phone. I wasn’t risking anything.  As I stared at it, the wolf started taking slow steps towards me, it could probably smell the fear and the cold sweat which was pouring out of every single pore of my body.

If it lunged at me now, I knew that I stand no chance against him with my pathetic umbrella. Thinking that I could distract it, I threw my briefcase at it and turned around to run, just to find myself two feet away from another one. ‘I’m dead today… My family is going to find a picture of my body which was mauled by two wolves in the newspaper tomorrow’. I turned behind me just to see the other wolf lunge towards me. I fell backwards, my brain bouncing in my skull as I made contact with the cold ground.  I closed my eyes accepting my death and praying for it to be quick and painless, when I heard a loud thud and a series of swooshes, growling and whining, before everything went silent. Slowly I stood up and thanked the Lord that I was alive.

I stood there with my eyes glued shut for another 3 minutes before deciding that it was safe to open them. I gasped at the scene in front of me. One wolf was laying on its side motionless, there was a long gaping gash from its throat to its abdomen; blood pooled under it, staining its silvery fur. The other wolf was nowhere to be seen. Blood splatter was all over the walls and bloody footprints were all over the ground. My heart was still pounding as I knew whatever could kill these wolves, could kill me too.

“H-hello?” I called out to the darkness. I knew I was stupid to be drawing attention to myself now but I wanted to know if whoever or whatever it was, a friend and not foe. Then I felt it. That intense gaze ,which drilled holes into my head whenever I passed through this alleyway. “Whoever you are please don’t k-kill me…” I stuttered. I probably sounded so vulnerable right now. My head was pounding and I could feel a warm liquid sliding down the back of my neck.

“Are you okay?” A man’s voice asked. I could sense a presence behind me but I was too afraid to look back. I wanted to answer but no words could leave my mouth. “Park SuJeong-ssi, are you alright?” The man asked again. Was this the person who has been stalking me lately? “W-who are you?” I replied my whole body trembling.  “I am the one who saved you from those wolves…” He answered. No beeping way could this person be the one who slaughtered those wolves in under 6 minutes… Inhaling a deep breath, I spun around to look at him. My eyes widen, my mouth was agape.

There stood a man who looked like every girl’s dream bad boy.  He was at least 5’11” towering over my height of 5’3” and his body was lean and sculpted. He dressed completely in black, from his wife beater, to his shoes. His white diamond stud earring which he wore on his left ear stood out the most.  He had a dangerously attractive face and fair skin which was nearly as fair as mine. He had jet black hair which grew out long in front to cover one eye. Heavy eyeliner covered his whole eyelid of his only visible eye, his lips red either from biting on them as he fought the beasts or he wore lipstick. He looked irresistible. His gaze was intense yet not in an aggressive way but more in a concerned manner.

For a moment we stared into each other’s eyes before he stepped forward. Hypnotized by his gaze, I didn’t bother stepping away from him, even though he was a stranger. He reached out with his long beautiful fingers and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. “You’re hurt…” He spoke but I couldn’t understand, his voice was getting softer and my vision started to blur.   “Sujeong!” He yelled as he caught me in his arms. Everything went black.

 

 

 

-

Author's Note: So how was the first chapter so far? :) Hope you liked it!^^ Haven't written a story in so long I was scared that I had forgotten how to xD Guess, I still have it in me! *cheers for myself* I'll try to upload the next chapter soon~ Ciao~