A Long Day.

Your Artificial Heart

 

You walked into study hall with Amber hot on your tail, “How are your aunt and uncle?” she began.

“They’re good, great actually. They won the lottery last month.” You said.

Amber gasped, “Where’s my cut?” She asked jokingly.

You smiled, “We only have half an hour, so get all your questions out.”

“Okay. Did you see any cute guys?” she asked raising her eyebrows. You hesitated and dropped open. “YOU DID. Spill.”

“Well, it wasn’t in Hong Kong.” You said, starting to continue until Amber interrupted you with a, “WHAT?” You spun around in your chair and saw Amber staring at none other than Onew. He waved at you while you forced a smile. You turned around and tried not to look Amber in the eyes. dropped open and she looked from you to Onew, piecing it together, “ Kim ~~~~~, you met a boy and you never told me about it?” She looked back at Onew, who was now engrossed in a huge book, “He’s cute, but I have my eye this kid in grade 10. He’s a diva, he already told off a kid in grade 12 for standing in front of his locker.”

You laughed and said, “He is nice, but there’s something about him that’s weird.” You thought for a couple minutes, ‘Could it be his eyes? He looks nice, but those eyes…

“~~~~~…. ~~~~~!” A familiar voice said. You came out of your own world and went into everyone else’s. You saw the only other face that made you smile, your other best friend Junsu. He was one of the loudest, funniest, flirtatious boys you knew. He also had an amazing voice and was in a choir group with his brother, Yoochun, and his friends, Jaejoong, Yunho, and Changmin, called DBSK.

You jumped up and hugged him, “Junsu oppa, how are you?”

“I’m good, but I would be better if you gave me the souvenir you bought me.” He smiled and did aegyo, puffing out his cheeks, “Just joking, but really, how was it?” He asked.

“It was really fun, ” You said, “but it would have been better if you two were there.” Both of your best friends smiled and attacked you with more hugs, “Aigo…” You said, “What’s with my friends and hugs?”

The bell rang indicating the end of your free time. This was the second time in a day that you were thankful for the bell. You waved goodbye to Amber and Junsu and rushed to Language, “See you at lunch!” You called. They both nodded and walked to their classes.

--

As you got to Language, you noticed that you were one of the last kids there and there were only two seats left. One was right beside Onew and the other was beside some creepy kid in the corner. You decided that it would be better for you to sit beside Onew by a mile, so you walked over and sat down. He was reading ‘Dracula’ by Bram Stoker. Something clicked in your head, but you shook it away, ‘No, it can’t be, vampires aren’t real…Thank goodness, the teacher.’ You snapped out of your thoughts and begun to focus on the language.

After the lesson, you were unsure about a few of the questions and you figured you’d ask Onew. You leaned over to him and poked him in his skinny but solid arm. You never noticed how close your head was to his until he turned his head. Your noses were almost touching and your lips were only a couple inches apart. You immediately started to feel drained, like your energy was being taken. Onew snapped his head back and almost fell off his chair. You could hear the girls at the back of the class giggling. Embarrassed, you sat back in your seat and sighed, “Did you want some help?” Onew asked. You nodded and pointed to the problem. After he explained it thoroughly, you thanked him and smiled inwardly, ‘I think I’m starting to like him… I mean, what’s not to like? He’s kind, helpful, and super smart… The only thing is… no, nevermind. I can’t keep thinking that, it’s impossible.

The students filed out as the bell rang. You spotted Onew as you were walking to the lunchroom. He was talking to a kid that looked a little younger than him. They were talking, and it looked as if the younger one was angry. You saw Amber across the hall and ran over to her, “Hey Amber, who’s that?” You pointed over the two boys.

“The one beside Onew? That’s the kid I was talking about. I heard his name is Key.” Amber declared, “They look alike, now that I see them together. I wonder if they’re related.”

As Amber stood there in Amberland, you saw the growing line for lunch. You grabbed her hand and ran, “Let’s go, or we won’t get any food!”

After getting your and Amber’s lunch, you went over to the table that was seating all of DBSK. You sat down as Yunho and Jaejoong were whispering and giggling to each other, “What’s up with them?” Amber asked.

“Who knows? Probably something stupid.” Yoochun said, “By the way, ~~~~~, how was Hong Kong?”

“It was great, thanks. Hey Max, have you heard about Key?” You asked.

“Yeah, he’s in a couple of my classes, and he’s a complete diva. Very demanding. Apparently he has 4 brothers, one in grade 11, one in grade 10 like him, one in grade 9, and one still in grade 8.” He said.

“Oh.” You said.

The bell rang and you groaned, “Why do we need P.E.?”

Junsu put his arm around you and said, “Don’t worry, Amber and I will make sure you do everything properly.” Amber laughed while you sulked.

--

When you and Amber came out of the changing room, you heard the teacher’s whistle, “Come on everyone, pick partners and stretch.”

You looked to Amber, but she had other ideas. As soon as Onew walked onto the field, Amber pushed you into him, “OOPS… Bye~”

He caught you and put you back on your feet, “Sorry,” you said, “My friend’s really clumsy. Anyway, um, do you have a partner to stretch with?”

“No, you don’t either?” You shook your head, “Okay then, partner.” He winked. You blushed and smiled.

“Come on people, we don’t have much time. Let’s go.” The teacher ordered.

“I’ll go first.” You offered and lay down in the grass.

He knelt down and held your legs. For the first couple, you only went about half way, but when the teacher saw, he pushed you all the way up, jogging away to stop a couple of rough–housing boys. What he didn’t see is that when he pushed you, you smashed into Onew’s lips. The two of you had your first kiss, and even though it was an accident, you liked it. You closed your eyes because you were embarrassed and it hurt a lot. He pulled back a second later, swiping his thumb across his bottom lip.

“Omo… I-I… Mianhe!” You stuttered. You suddenly felt woozy and held your head.

Onew looked concerned, “Don’t worry… Are you alright?”

“Uh… Yeah, my head just hurts… I’m a little dizzy.” You tried to sit up but a wave of drowsiness hit you and you fell.

“Mr.Kim. Can I take ~~~~~ to the nurse? She isn’t feeling good.” Onew called. The teacher nodded. Onew picked you up, lifting you bridal style. Your eyes popped open at how deceivingly strong he was.

As he carried you through the hallways to the nurse, you felt bad, “Onew, mianhe. You didn’t have to; I could have come by myself. But I wonder, why did I suddenly get so weak?”

Onew looked nervous for a second, but gained his composure, “I don’t know, are you feeling okay? I wanted to help you.” ‘It was my fault.’  He thought, with a fake smile. You smiled at his comment, then stopped, ‘Wait, did I just smile for someone other than Amber and Junsu? Maybe I’m not okay…’

You and Onew finally reached the nurse’s office, but when you looked up, he wasn’t sweating; he wasn’t even out of breath! He put you down on the small cot the nurse had provided and sat beside the bed, “You don’t have to stay, really. It’s enough you brought me here.”

He shook his head “It’s alright, anything to get out of P.E.” He winked.

The nurse walked in and examined you. You peeked at Onew who was staring at you nervously, ‘Why’s he looking at me like that?’ Just as you started to think hard about his actions, another wave of drowsiness hit you.

The nurse turned to Onew, “She’ll be fine, she’s just a little tired. Make sure she gets rest, and she should stay home for at least tomorrow.”

Onew nodded, “Thank you ahjumma, I’ll make sure of it.” He helped you up and put his arm around your waist to help you walk. You quickly turned to the nurse and bowed with a smile. She smiled at you while Onew walked you out into the hallway, “What time is it?” He asked.

You looked at your watch, “Omo! There’s only one period left. Mianhe that you had to miss your classes.” You looked down.

Onew stopped and pulled your chin up, “Would you stop saying sorry?” he said with a small smile, “I did it because I want to. Now, let me take you home. Do you live far?”

You shook your head. You couldn’t believe how nice he was to you. You were really starting to like the new kid, after only a few hours.

--

You and Onew walked up the stairs at the front of your apartment building, “~~~~~?” Onew said.

“Neh?” You said, questioningly.

"Uh. Can I get your number so I can make sure you stay home and get better?" Onew asked shyly.

"Sure." You punched in your phone number on his phone and handed it back, "and Onew?"

He tilted his head in question, “Thank you, for everything today; helping me with language, for being kind to me, for taking me to the nurses office, and for taking me home. So thanks again.” You smiled and turned so you could hug him. He was surprised for a second, but softened and hugged you back. You broke away, smiled, and waved. He smiled and waved back, ‘I just hope I don’t hurt you…’ He thought quietly.

~~

Another chapter done ~ Please comment so I can make this better. OH and I’d like you guys to comment on who you think should be the bad guys ;) I know it’s bad so far, but it’ll get better. Thanks for reading <3