“Okay? That’s it? Minho hyung!”

Your Artificial Heart

 

You stopped and looked at Taemin. You smiled nervously and laughed, “What’re you talking about?” You forced your smile up to your eyes so he couldn’t see how you were feeling.

He his lips, “Seriously? You thought I wouldn’t notice? You’ve been avoiding all of us, especially Onew hyung. You know he talks about you all the time, when he talks.” He said, with a hint of sadness in his voice, “Did something happen? Like, possession..?” He asked.

You shook your head, “No, not that… It’s just…” You trailed off. You didn’t know how to explain everything- your dreams, this girl repeatedly coming in and out of your life as she pleased, and her threats. There were no words to describe your fear or anger. So, you just thought of everything. You sent all the images and memories you had, or at least tried to. You knew, though, that you had succeeded when Taemin’s eyes widened, then shut, then opened up again.

“Why didn’t you tell us? You didn’t even tell Onew hyung… Why?” He asked, with pain prominent in his eyes.

“She said she’d hurt all of you if she saw us together…” Your eyes were quickly filling with tears, “What happened to Key was bad enough. I won’t let it happen to anyone else.” You said, moving your sleeve to catch a tear.

Taemin’s face flashed through a bunch of emotions; first anger, then concern, then relief, then anger again, then a mix of many others, “You should have told someone. Didn’t I tell you I’d tell Onew hyung if anything worse happened?” He asked, his voice getting progressively louder. He looked straight into your eyes, “You know you have to tell him, right?” You opened your mouth to protest, but he put his hand up, “Tell him. I’ll be there to help you.” The hand he previously held up was now held toward you. Your tears had ceased falling, but they resumed now, as you took Taemin’s hand, and then pulled him into a hug.

You felt Taemin’s body go into a momentary shock, but then soften and hug you back, “Thank you…” You whispered. You pulled back and wiped your eyes. He let your words hang in the air for a second, then replied quietly with, “Anytime.” He offered his hand again. You gratefully took it while he used some of his patented aegyo to try and get you to stop crying. You laughed through your tears and started walking, pulling a giggling Taemin behind you, “Hey.” He said, stopping you, “You just sent memories. Sheesh woman, how much can you do?” You laughed and resumed pulling him towards his house.

--

By the time you got to the door of Onew’s house, it was almost pitch black outside. You could hear faint voices, but they were definitely not Onew’s or any of his brothers’. When you stopped at the front door to collect yourself, you turned around, looking in every direction, searching for someone, or something to lead you to the sound, “I hear it too.” You turned to Taemin, whose brow was furrowed in concern.

“Who..?” You began.

He shook his head, ‘Later.’ He sent, silencing you. He jerked his head towards the door, “Let’s go.” He said out loud, almost talking to himself.

He opened the door, trying to be quiet, tiptoeing in and hopping over shoes. He motioned for you to follow him, and so you did. You, however, lacked the grace of a vampire and ended up tripping and smacking your hand on a table. You wanted to scream, but knew you shouldn’t. You went to cradle your hand, but immediately thought better of it when a shot of searing pain went up your arm. You wanted to scream again, but instead, only emitted a small squeak. You got up to see Taemin’s mouth open. When he saw the pain on your face, he immediately dropped down to your height to look at your hand. He turned his head toward the doorway to the living room just as Minho walked in, “Taemin-ah, what the he…” He stopped and looked down at Taemin holding your injured hand. Taemin followed his gaze, and gently put down your hand.

“Hyung.” He said, forcing a smile that reached his ears. Minho looked from you to Taemin, his eyes growing wider. Taemin shook his head and stood up, “Hyung, it’s not what it looks like. She fell!” He said, with a bit of fear in his voice. You brought up your hand to prove his point, even though you almost exploded in pain.

Minho raised his eyebrows and gave a devious smile, “Okay.” He walked back into the living room.

Taemin’s eyes closed into slits, “Okay? That’s it? Minho hyung!” He stood up, almost chasing after his hyung, but remembered you were still sitting there in pain, “Oh, mianhe.” He said, with a slight blush on his cheeks.

He grabbed your good hand and pulled you up. He made sure to drop your hand at the quickest possible moment. You tried to laugh, but all that came out were a couple of sobs. You heard voices in the other room and saw Onew walk in, “Hi-… what happened?” He said, looking at you and seeing the agony in your eyes. He ran over and took your hand. You yelped in pain and pulled your hand back, “Let me see.” He said softly. You lay your hand on top of his so he could look at it. After making you laugh by bending down, and turning his head every which way, looking like a confused puppy, he sighed, “It’s broken. Come on, let’s go to the hospital.”

You started to shake your head, and decided sending a thought would be safer than speak, ‘When my parents…’ You stopped, not trusting your “mind’s voice” either.

“You need to go to the hospital. I’ll be there with you. Nothing bad is going to happen, as long as I’m there.” Onew said sincerely.

You swallowed as you looked back and forth between his two big, brown eyes and nodded, “Okay.”

“Uh… Onew hyung?” Taemin said quietly, “Can I come too?” The two boys looked to you and you nodded, grateful that you had not one, but two people willing to help you, even if you had (tried to) ignore them.

“That was so touching.” Jonghyun said, popping his head into the hallway, pretending to wipe a tear from his eye. He walked over to you, looking at your hand, “Can I come too?”

“Yeah, me three!” Minho yelled.

“If you guys are going, umma’s coming too.” Key said, grabbing his jacket.

You sighed then nodded to them all, “Let’s go.” Jonghyun and Minho whooped while Onew and Key grabbed their car keys.

“I’ll take the maknae and ~~~~~.” Onew said.

Key nodded, “Obviously. Stick me with the difficult ones.”

Everyone except for Jonghyun and Minho laughed as the six of you walked out the door.

--

The ride was silent. When you finally arrived at the hospital, you felt sort of numb; the pain had gone down, but your hand hurt if you moved it or hit it on something. Not to mention that you didn’t know what to feel; you were elated by the fact that Onew cared for you as if you had never ignored him and his brothers were so willing to help you. But then again, this was the hospital you’d come to with your parents; the one you went to to verify it was your parents who were killed, even though the bodies were never found.

Onew got out, made sure to walk to your door, and opened it. He took your damaged hand so lightly, you barely felt his hand on yours, and put his other arm around your waist as soon as you got out, “I’m not disabled.” You said tiredly. He smiled, but kept a hold of you. The two of you walked around to the other side of the car where Taemin was sitting there, door open, with his hand held out, “What?” He asked defensively when he saw the look Onew gave him, “You can’t help me out too? Jeez.” He said with a hint of joking in his voice. You giggled, but stopped when you noticed you had gotten to the doors. Onew gave your waist a small squeeze, and somewhat dragged you inside.

You walked up to the counter and looked around, ‘It must be really late… Why are the lights dimmed? Or… wait… is it just me?’ You thought. There was only two people in the waiting room; both girls, both sitting in the corner where the beam from the dimmed lights didn’t quite reach. You couldn’t see their faces, but sensed familiarity radiating from them. You looked around the rest of the lobby, continually blinking your eyes

“Yah.” A voice interrupted, “Stop doing that. You look crazy.”

You looked down at Taemin, “Yah, shut up.” You said, sticking your tongue out. He stuck his tongue out in response and giggled as he slumped into a chair to look through the magazines and other “reading material” on a table in the middle of the lobby.

You looked back at Onew who was pulling a clipboard filled with forms off the counter and putting his arm around your waist, effectively picking you up and setting you down in an uncomfortable chair. You tried to get comfortable as Onew looked through the forms. He wrote down your name, age, and other things typically found on these sort of forms, “Do you have any allergies?” He asked, tapping the pen on the clipboard. You shook your head. “Have any diseases? On any medication?” He asked, firing questions off one after another. You shook your head again. He scribbled something down, then looked up, a little red, “Are you pregnant?”

You burst out laughing, “You’re my first boyfriend, babo. Why would I be pregnant?” You looked down at your slim stomach and hit it lightly, “Why, do I look pregnant?” You asked, with mock horror.

He smiled and shook his head, “Even if you did, you’d still be pretty.”

You took his hand in your uninjured one and squeezed it, then put your head on his shoulder. He rested his on top of yours, “Anymore questions?” You asked.

“Nope, we’re done. But we do have to get up to hand in the forms.” He said.

You sighed and got up, grabbing the clipboard. You strolled over to the counter and handed the forms to the woman behind it, “Thank you. The doctor will see you soon.” She said in a tired voice. You nodded and walked back to your seat.

--

The doctor put on a cast as you’d expected him to, and then gave you some medicine. As soon as he’d touched your hand, though, the pain was almost nonexistent. You walked out of the room and bowed, “Thank you for seeing me so late, Dr. Kang.”

He nodded and put his hand on your shoulder to guide you out. As you walked back into the lobby, Taemin and Onew jumped up, Onew giving you a hug and Taemin just standing there with a smile. Taemin and Onew bowed, and then started walking out, “Wait, can I use the washroom?”

Onew turned and nodded, “We’ll be right outside.”

You nodded and started walking. You followed the hazy memories of the hospital to the ladies washroom. You stepped inside to a stall and closed the door. You hear the door creak open and two pairs of high heeled shoes walk in, “Did you see her?” A voice asked.

“Of course I did. She was all over him.” A voice answered.

“She won’t be very happy.” The first girl said.

“No crap. She’s going to be pissed.” Said the second one.

You quietly stepped up onto the toilet to lessen your chances of being found. You were sure that one of them was the girl that had been terrorizing you and your friends.

“We can’t tell her that we saw the girl, just him.” The first one insisted.

You heard makeup cases being snapped open and shut. All of a sudden, your nose started to itch, ‘No no no no no no no…” You thought, putting your hand over your nose. You managed to stop it from itching, but as soon as you removed your hand, you emitted a small sneeze. Your eyes widened and you jumped down and flushed the toilet, pretending like you’d been there the whole time.

You stepped out of the stall with your head down, washed your hands and ran out. You ran all the way to the door and grabbed Onew’s hand, “I-I’m really tired, can we just go home? Wait, your house. Please.” You pleaded.

“Okay.” He answered, searching your eyes.

~~

School is a killer this year… I’m going on a trip this week, so no updating until at least Saturday or Sunday >.< ANYWAY~ Thanks for reading~ <3 (Sorry for mistakes :P)