This is how you spend your sick days?

Your Artificial Heart

 

You woke up the next morning to a pounding headache, “I can’t go to school like this,” you said, talking to yourself, “I’ll have to call in sick.”

After making the quick call to the school, you texted Amber and Junsu, “I’m not coming to school today, don’t feel well. Ttyl, ~~~~~” As soon as you’d sent the message, two messages came back; one from Amber “Awww, feel better, I’ll text you at lunch <3”, and one from Junsu “I saw you and that Onew kid yesterday ;) Expect questions, and feel better :P” You sighed, then chuckled, ‘At least Junsu isn’t as bad as Amber.

You took a quick shower, then flopped down on the couch, trying to stop the throbbing in your head. You grabbed your phone to check the time but noticed you had a text. As you opened it, your heart skipped a beat, “Hi, how are you feeling? I hope you’re staying home. Anyway, I’ll bring your work after school, we have all the same classes anyway :P Kay… See you later, Onew.”

You didn’t know what to say, so you just left it. You stifled a yawn as you the T.V. to watch a taped episode of Mnet M! Countdown. You briefly hummed along to Mr. Simple by Super Junior, but you soon fell asleep.

--

You awoken to the sound of knocking on your door, “ONEW. Omo!” You gasped, “One minute!”

You ran into the bathroom and wiped your face, pulled your hair into a messy ponytail, and made sure that your apartment looked okay, ‘I must like him… a lot…’ you thought as you rushed to the door.

You took a deep breath and opened the door with a smile, “Hi.”

He looked you up and down, with a satisfied smile, “Hey.” You could feel your cheeks turning red. You looked down and opened the door wider so he could come in. He walked in, looking at your place, and sat down on the small couch, “So today, we didn’t get any homework, actually, we really didn’t do anything.”

“Really? Mr. Choi usually gives us something everyday.” You said, puzzled.

There was an awkward silence that neither of you had the courage to break. Finally, Onew cleared his throat and you coughed, “Onew, do you want a drink?”

He nodded. You walked into the kitchen, poured some water into the glasses, and walked back into the living room. You sat beside Onew on the small couch, and saw that he had a huge book opened up, “Whatcha reading…” The title was “Nosferatu and Demons of the Night”. You’re eyes widened, ‘Is it as I thought? It can’t be…

“It’s just some recreational reading, I picked it up and it looked interesting.” He replied half- heartedly.

“Oh.” You realized that this would be the perfect time to ask about his family, “So Onew, I heard you have four brothers.”

His head snapped up, “What else did you hear?”

“Nothing else. Is Key your brother?” He nodded, “He’s big news, he told off a 12th grader on his first day.” You laughed.

Onew nervously smiled, “Yeah, he’s very… confident.”

“So what are your other brothers like?” You asked.

“Well, you know about Key,” You nodded with a smile, “Jonghyun’s also in grade 10, but he doesn’t like to come to school, so I doubt you’ll be seeing him. Minho’s in grade 9, but he’s very irritable and competitive; he hates losing, I advise you stay away from him for your own safety.” He said seriously.

You nodded then stopped, “I thought you had four brothers, that was only three.”

Crap. I didn’t think she would catch that.’ “Um, my fourth brother, Taemin,  is in grade 8, and he really hates everyone…” ‘Especially himself.’ “Ever since my parents died, he hasn’t been the same.” He said with pain in his eyes.

“Oh, mianhe, I didn’t know. Mine died too. Last year. They were killed by some sort of animal, but they never found out…” You said with tears falling down your face.

Onew softly wiped them away, “Don’t cry.” ‘Could it be? Could they be the ones? I knew they were hurt but I didn’t think they died.’ He pulled you into his arms and your hair, repeating “it's alright” and  “it’s okay” to help you stop crying.

You finally stopped and looked up at him with a tearful smile, “Thank you.”

He smiled, “Anytime, but actually, it’s starting to get late, I should get home to my brothers.”

You nodded and got up, smoothed out your clothes, and wiped the rest of your tears away, “Thanks again for coming over, I appreciate it.”

“Maybe we can get together again sometime.” Onew said walking out the door.

You nodded, “That would be great.” You stood there, twiddling your thumbs, “Um, Onew?”

He turned around, “Hm?”

You gave him a quick peck on the cheek, “Thanks… again.”

You could see his ears turn red while he smiled, “Bye.”

You watched him walk down the hallway, ‘He’s always there when I need him. Thank you, Lee Jinki.’ 

~

While walking down the hallway, he heard a stray thought from you, "He’s always there when I need him. Thank you, Lee Jinki."

'You won't be saying thank you if what I think is true, and I hope to God it isn't.'

--

After Onew left, you were really bored, so you went out for a short walk. You were walking towards the park when you heard someone screaming. Your eyes widened, you ran toward the bushes in the park.

There, you saw a boy, about your age, well built but short, fighting with another boy your age, and the latter was obviously losing and fell. You couldn’t really see who it was and you wanted a better look. You knew this playground like the back of your hand, so you ran behind the slide while looking at the boys. The first boy looked familiar, like you had seen him somewhere, and the one on the ground was Kang Dongwook, from your History class. You fumbled around in your pockets for your phone when you realized you’d left it on the table at home, ‘Crap.

You looked back to the scene and saw that the second boy was motionless on the ground with the first one kneeling over him, ‘What’s he doing?’ You thought, ‘I have to get a better view.

Silently, you got up from your spot behind the slide and quickly tiptoed to the main structure. On the way, you stepped on a branch. There was only a small noise, and you hoped no one heard it.

 After you reached the structure, you looked back the scene of the fight and noticed that there was only one boy, Dongwook. You figured it was safe, so you walked out cautiously. As soon as you checked the area, you ran to Dongwook, “Dongwook… Dongwook!” You saw he was covered in blood, “Dongwook, are you okay? Dongwook?” He stirred and you heaved a sigh of relief, “Wait here, I’ll go get help.”

“NO. ~~~~~. Run! He’s right there, ~~~~~…” As he fainted, you felt warm breath on your neck and you could smell the overpowering, coppery stench of blood. You stood up very slowly, and turned around fearing what you would see, but nothing was there, ‘I must have been imagining things.’ You turned around to help Dongwook again, but instead turned into a strong, hard chest. You immediately fell backward onto the ground. The boy knelt down beside you. He had blood all over his mouth. He laughed, “You must be ~~~~~. Onew’s told us a lot about you.” You were panting in fear, “Oh, how rude of me,” he held out a hand with some blood on it, “I’m Jonghyun.”

~~

So guys, what do you think? Do you like Jjongie? Don't worry, Dongwook's okay (if you cared). Don't take offense to anything please, it's just a fanfic. Sorry for any mistakes, please comment, and thanks for reading <3 PS, no making fun of my titles ;)