"My it's over!"

Your Artificial Heart

The next couple of days were fairly quiet: no possessions, no attempts at communication, and best of all, no pain to any of your friends. The only thing was the nightmare that you had frequently: each time was clearer than the last, detail after detail revealed. Even though you were anticipating the unobstructed scene, each detail made it sadder and scarier. But the sadness that had set in when Yoochun and Changmin were kidnapped still loomed in your heart; it overtook any pain you had been feeling due to the nightmares. Despite wanting to never hear from this girl again, you wished she would talk to you so you could try to get your friends back. The gut instinct that evil was around came sometimes, but you knew that with Onew and his brothers, nothing would happen to you. You thought you would be able to stay with them at least until all of this was over, but in Jonghyun's scheming mind, a plan was forming.

You had a feeling he and Onew had been hiding something by how guarded they had kept their thoughts for the last little while and attempted to break through the  shields they put up, to no avail of course. But, you didn't have to wait long, because that night, Onew and Jonghyun sat everyone, including you, down for a conversation.

Jonghyun said your name gently, waiting until you looked at him before continuing, "How do you feel about becoming bait?"

You blinked and stared at him, only able to speak in your mind's voice, 'What?' You sent weakly. 

Onew rolled his eyes, "Don't listen to him, he's insensitive." You heard mental protest from Jonghyun but Onew continued over it, "What he means to ask is how you would feel about moving back to your apartment for a bit? We love having you here, but after thinking about it, there's a better chance that she'll come to you when you're "alone", so we might be able to get Yoochun and Changmin back faster."

"Exactly," Jonghyun said. "Bait."

Key slapped a hand over Jonghyun's huge mouth and shook his head. He then looked at you and smiled softly, "As Onew hyung implied, you won't actually ever be alone. We just want to make her think that we've left you, but at least one of us will be around the apartment at any given time, so you'll be safe. Even if we weren't, you know how to mentally scream loud enough to call us; heck, at your loudest, we could be in Canada and we'd still hear you."

Everyone chuckled as Key tried to make this proposal less scary than it was to you: even though there were five men there, you knew she was crazy powerful, not to mention that if she hurt any of them again, you wouldn't be able to live properly. You contemplated your limited amount of options, then decided that they were right; she would probably come when you were alone, so alone you needed to be. You sent out these thoughts and each male nodded, Onew and Taemin coming upstairs to help you pack while the three other brothers worked on schedules and devising plans for certain situations.

You packed up all of your belongings and got into Key's car, sad that you wouldn't be living your boyfriend and his family, but happy at the same time, as you were finally able to take part in the plan to get Yoochun and Changmin back and stop this mystery girl once and for all. Arriving at your apartment, you got out and waved to Key, grabbing your bags and walking upstairs, aware of a thought sent by Minho that he was already there on guard for you.

Just as you were about to go inside, two firm arms grabbed you from behind and spun you in a circle. At first, you panicked and almost sent out a thought to the vamp lying in wait downstairs, but when the strong person put you down and allowed you to look at them, you saw a familiar face.

"Oppa! You scared me half to death!" You exclaimed, punching one of his rock-hard arms.

He smiled, "I'm sorry, I'm just so excited to see you! It's been too long..."

"Awww, I'm sorry," you patted his head, sweaty from the jog he'd just been on. "But for now, I'm back to stay. Don't worry, oppa~."

He smiled and spun you around in a hug again, "You better not be lying!"

"Put me down, crazy person!" You giggled. "I have to get some sleep now, I'm tired. I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

He nodded and smiled, helping you bring your stuff inside then skipping to his own apartment. You said goodbye and waved, closing the door and going to sit down on the couch. You looked around and smiled a bit, happy to be home. But the more you were alone, the more you thought about the situation at hand. "The whole reason she's doing all of this is because of me... If she wants me, then shouldn't I just give myself up? I'd rather have one life taken than two... Plus, they all have parents and families who would miss them..." You said quietly, thinking. "If they think I'm just gonna sit around, they're crazy. I need to do something."

You closed your eyes, took a deep breath and began to speak. "I know you can hear me, whoever you are..." You said aloud and sent out, careful to focus your thought on the same feeling you had when she got inside your mind. You knew Minho hadn't heard it because he would have already been at the door had he done so, so you were confident that the focus had worked. There was no response, but you decided to keep going. "Both of us have needs in relation to one another. I need my friends back, and I need you to not bother any one of them again, and you need me out of the picture. My proposal is simple: give my friends back, safe and alive, and you may have me in exchange. That's all, very easy."

You opened your eyes and sighed, as even though you listened intently, you could not hear any kind of answer. You believed that she could hear it, and it was just a matter of time before something happened, but for now, there was still nothing.

-

When you went to sleep that night, the dream occurred again, but this time, almost every detail of the girl's face was visible. Her piercing eyes engrained themselves in your memory, an image so vivid, it seemed to have been burned into your retina when you woke up, just as it would appear when you looked at the sun for too long. You got up and washed your face, looking up at yourself in the mirror and thinking about how much you missed your parents and friends. After making sure you wouldn't cry, you got dressed and sent a though to whoever was on watch that you were going shopping.

You grabbed your wallet and phone, and went out into the hall, turning around to lock the door when you saw your neighbour peeking out from his doorway.

"Morning," you said tiredly, but smiling.

He smiled and waved, "What's up?"

"Going shopping; what about you?"

"Just chilling. The guys are coming over today, so I'm getting in some peace and quiet before they make my ears explode."

You both laughed and exchanged goodbyes before you walked downstairs and to the supermarket with Taemin, who was on guard at the time. You weren't really with him: rather, he was following you and keeping his eye on everything, and even though he seemed kinda creepy, you could feel his calm presence as you walked down the street.

 

~ GD's Perspective ~

The guys and I had been talking and playing video games all day, and only when it came to the topic of girls did I remember to tell them about my neighbour's return.

"Guys!" I yelled over the noise. It took them a title while to shut up, but when they did, they looked over at me intently. "Guess what. ~~~~~ is back! Not indefinitely, but for the foreseeable future, yes."

Their faces all lit up: they absolutely loved her as a friend, each for their own reason, but it was love all the same. "Why don't you invite her for dinner?" Seungri asked eagerly.

"Yeah," TOP began. "That'd be fun. She would probably bring some balance between the dumb ones" – he looked at everyone, including me (yeah, as if) – "and the smart ones."

I punched him in the shoulder but laughed, "I'll invite her when she gets home."

-

It was about an hour later when I heard someone walking down the hallway, so I ran and peeked out. When I saw her, I waved excitedly, "Hey! Do you wanna come over for dinner tonight? The guys are here and they really want to see you."

She nodded happily, "Of course. Just let me put this stuff away and I'll be there soon."

I gave her a thumbs-up and watched as she went inside, jogging back into my own living room and sitting down on the couch.

 

~ Your Perspective ~

You put away the groceries and smiled: you were excited to spend some time with people, as you hadn't been able to be with Amber or the rest of your friends, to keep them safe, or with Onew and his brothers, to "put on a show" for the girl. You grabbed some junk food and brought it over, knocking first before being invited in. Smiling and saving to everyone, you set down your offerings and came over to sit with the five boys.

The structure of their group was almost the same as Onew and his brothers': they had the motherly figure, Daesung; the player with a weird sense of humour, Taeyang; the one who could be serious yet adorable like your Onew, GD; the athletic one who was in fact a gentle giant, TOP; and the one who only resembled a kid on the outside, Seungri. You found comfort in this, as it felt like you were at home with your boyfriend and his four brothers.

-

After playing video games, Rock Paper Scissors, and making jokes until about 11, you went back to your apartment tiredly, waving goodbye to each of the boys and promising to visit again the next time they were all over.

You lay down on your bed and closed your eyes, sending a shielded thought only to Jonghyun, who was on watch downstairs, 'Jonghyun oppa, how long do you think she's gonna take?'

You felt his mind become muddled for a second as he tried to access memories and think. After a couple seconds, he answered, 'I'm not really sure, but I know that when she does, we'll be ready.'

'Thanks, oppas...' You sent out to the five boys. 'I love all of you guys...'

You got a jumble of responses from each of them, and each made your heart swell with a mix of emotions: happiness because of the love you were receiving, sadness for your friends, anger towards the girl. But the most prominent emotion was anger towards yourself: you had no way to get your friends back, you felt like you were being a burden to your boyfriend and his family, and you couldn't even make a simple deal with the female devil. "She better give me a reply soon," you thought aloud. "Because otherwise, I am going to find and kill her myself..."

You sighed and tried to go to sleep, pushing all of the negative thoughts you had away and forcing yourself to relax. Eventually, you fell into a deep sleep and had that horrible dream again. This time, everything about the girl was clear, and when you shot awake, you tried to memorize everything about her; her weight, height, eyes, facial structure, how she moved, everything. But that wasn't the only thing you had seen clearly this time. The two people who had been mauled, then disappeared, were your parents.  When you were convinced that each detail was engraved in your memory, you got up. You showered and ate a bit, then went downstairs to the mailboxes to check for any mail or newspapers. You didn't find anything until you stood on you tippy toes, your fingers hitting a thick, small, cream coloured envelope. At first, you thought nothing of it: it was just another letter right?

Wrong. As soon as you looked at the front and noticed there was no stamp or writing, you knew exactly what it was. You closed your mailbox and ran back upstairs with the letter held tightly in your hand. You pushed the door closed with your foot and sat down at the table, placing the envelope down in front of you, and then taking a breath before picking it up again and opening it slowly.

"Downtown Seoul. Abandoned warehouse by the bridge.

Three days from tomorrow night. Come alone, or else."

You re-read the note, the words bittersweet. You had actually gotten through to this girl and you were going to get your friends back, but the sad part was that you had a feeling you wouldn't be able to spend very much time with them. But you knew that it was for the best; you felt like you had caused so much trouble for everyone, and this was your chance to make up for it. You gulped and read the note a couple more times, making sure you had each word memorized exactly, and then burnt it.

"Don't worry," you whispered aloud, as though speaking to Yoochun and Changmin. "Soon, you'll be home; safe."

To get your mind off of your impending situation, you went over to GD's house, hanging out with him and TOP, the only other one there at the time.

-

Over the next three days, you had spent a lot of time with your neighbour and his four friends, and the six of you became pretty close. "It's sad that we won't be able to continue being friends after tonight..." You thought, sighing.

For your boyfriend and his ever so caring brothers, you decided to write a note that outlined what was going to happen and how much you loved them even though you had spent virtually no time with them since you had moved back to your apartment. You also wrote a note for Amber, Jaejoong, and Junsu, saying that you would definitely get your friends back but you would have to go away in order to do so. For Yunho though, you wrote a simplified version of the events outlined in your letter to your boyfriend, as he knew about vampires and something about the girl that had been terrorizing you. You wanted at least one of your friends to know the real story, but you didn't want to hurt the three that didn't know even more by exposing them to the world of vampires.

You folded all three notes and left them on the table. You grabbed your jacket and send Jonghyun a message that you were just going to go to the convenience store to get some feminine products, so he didn't have to follow you. You could feel the wariness in his response, but he agreed. As soon as you got outside, you could feel the vampire sending out waves of thought, colliding with your mind like a radar. You decide that the only way to get away fully unobstructed was to gradually phase him out by putting up a wall of white noise around your thoughts.

You walked to the store, increasing the amount of white noise with each probe you felt, and by the time you reached the doors, you had completely guarded yourself. Before Jonghyun could notice, you began running towards the meeting place, and, in fact, your fate.

 

~ Jonghyun's Perspective ~

Why couldn't I follow her? It's not like I'm gonna choose what she has to buy or something. Jeez, girls these days. Well anyways, by the intensity of the probe collision, she must be at the store now. I think now she's going in. It keeps getting weaker... Now it's gone! Gone?! What's going on? , I better tell hyung...

I raced home and went straight to Onew, "Hyung, long story short, she's gone. I let her go to the store and she just disappeared. I don't know what happened, and I'm really sorry, but we need to find her!"

Onew just looked at me in shock for a second, and then called the rest of the family, "Where would she go? If she was going to Amber's or anyone like that, she would just tell us, but to lie..."

"It has to be something to do with her," Taemin said quietly, yet sternly.

"I think..." Key began. "I know where she is. Let's go."

We all followed quietly as Key led us quickly downtown.

I can't believe I'm such an idiot, how could I lose her?

 

~ No One's Perspective ~

When you got there, it was silent. You just sat down on a slab of rock and just listened. That nagging, negative feeling pulsed in your head, but when you tried your hardest to find anything, you couldn't see anyone or anything. You had been there for about ten minutes, hearing only the silence, until suddenly you heard shuffling. You stood up quietly and looked for the source of the noise.

Not seeing anything, you sat back down, the thought that it was just an animal running through your mind. Then, you felt a whoosh behind you, and as you stumbled to your feet and turned around, you came face to face with a girl, but it was too dark to see her face.

"I see you've finally stepped up to the plate," she said in a high-pitched yet silly voice.

"Where are my friends?" You interrupted, your heart starting to beat faster.

She giggled loudly, "Easy, tiger, they're coming now." She looked behind her at three figures approaching you. You could see that the two on the outside were male and automatically, you identified the figures of two of your best friends. You saw a girl with them as well, helping them stand, but her face too was not visible as it was cast downwards.

"Let me see them, then you can do whatever you want with me" you said, the tears welling up in your eyes.

The first girl pulled the two unstable males towards you, allowing them to basically fall on you. As soon as your arms wrapped around their weak, skinny bodies, all three of you began to cry silently, embracing one another as much as the males could manage.

"I'm so sorry," you whispered right into their ears. "When I let go, get as far away as you can. The only people you can tell about what happened are Onew, his brothers, and Yunho." You could feel Yoochun taking a breath to speak and shook your head so they could feel it. "No objections. Do as I say this time, okay? I love you guys."

You let go reluctantly, and watched as they began walking weakly and hesitantly out of the warehouse per your orders. Taking a breath and wiping your eyes, you turned back to the girl, your expression ice cold.

"Do I get to play now?" She asked cutely. You nodded and looked straight into her eyes, waiting for her to so something she walked around you so your back was facing her. You felt the air behind you shift and knew it was time, so you closed your eyes and thought a silent prayer.

Out of nowhere, you heard a male voice scream. The attack never came, as she was just as startled as you. When he stepped into the light, you felt relief run through your whole body

She screamed shrilly. "What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm here to stop you from hurting my girlfriend," he stated, matter-of-factly.

The air between the two of them became charged and you could feel the anger and tension mounting. Apparently, someone else could too, because another male walked out of the shadows on the other side of the warehouse.

"Alright, alright. No need to fight, children. How about we just— ...Onew?"

"TOP? Seunghyun hyung? Is that you?" Onew asked.

"Yeah, what are you doing here?" He looked over at you and the girl. "~~~~~? Is that you? What the hell is going on?"

The girl got angrier behind you, "She has something that's mine. And now, I'm going it take it back."

You saw her hand rise into the air, but everyone was too far away to reach it. She lowered it quickly, but the moment before her fist smashed your head open, someone caught it. You turned around to see GD holding her wrist tightly. "This is what it was all about?" He asked angrily. "You want us to help you kill her?"

She nodded furiously and the fear returned.

"Well you'll have to find someone to fill in for me, because I'm not going to kill ~~~~~; she is my friend," he said firmly. He pushed her away from you and put his arm gently on your back, guiding you over to Onew.

"You're joking, right? Tell me you're playing a practical joke. Haha, April Fools right? Very funny," she blurted.

"It's no joke. I'm on her side too," TOP said, walking over to Onew's other side.

Taeyang walked out of the shadows as well, walking over to GD's side. Then Daesung and Seungri walked over, standing by you and glaring at the girl who stood alone against the five boys, your boyfriend, and two of his brothers that had walked in.

Onew clenched his teeth, "It's over, Bom." 

"My it's over! Just wait! I'll kill you all!" The girl, who you now knew was named Bom, screamed. And with that, she stepped towards you, into the light, and for that brief second, you knew exactly who she was. Still in shock, you watched as she disappeared.