Downtown Seoul.

Your Artificial Heart

 

**Jonghyun's perspective**

Minho and I had been running for only a couple minutes when we reached the outskirts of the "clubbing district", the thrum of bass filling our ears as we slowed. 

"Hyung," Minho said aloud, not sending anything in case we failed to block anyone else out, "Where do we go from here? How are we supposed to find her?"

I looked down the street as we walked, seeing the clubs get more high end, "We should go to the most expensive and well-known one. If Onew hyung's right, she'll be the center of attention; no problem to find." I said. 

He nodded in response and looked for the club I had specified while I listened to the 'thought' frequency intently, searching for the telltale strength of a thought from another vamp. 

I knew Minho had found what we were looking for when he swore under his breath, "This line is huge..." He said, looking wide-eyed at the many people waiting to get in. 

"Well, frog-face," I said, only half joking, "I guess we'll have to skip it, now, won't we?" 

He shook his head at me and sighed, "Yes, yes we do. How do you suppose we do that, though, O wise one?"

I turned to him, surprised he didn't know me by now; it's been more than a century, come on now. "Turn on the charm and use our amazing looks to our advantage. Duh." 

He nodded, agreeing with the idea. We walked to the bouncers, and thankfully, one was a girl. 

"Excuse me, miss." Minho said, tapping her. 

She turned to us and tilted her head, taking us in. "What can I do for you?"

"Well, we were hoping to get in, but the line is huge." Minho said. 

I picked up, "Is there anything we can do to get you to let us in?" I hoped that sounded suggestive or something; I'm really bad at this talking stuff. 

The girl parted her lips then closed them again, leaning forward over the velvet rope that separated us. "No. Way. Now get to the back of the line before I call security." 

Minho and I looked at each other, jaws dropped. I quickly rethought our plan and took a breath, hoping my new plan would work. I began smiling at the girl and held my hand out for her, chuckling, "Nice job; girl power all the way." 

She smiled a bit too and high-fived me, pausing for a second before she signaled for us to come closer. "There's an entrance around the side that's invite-only; call it VIP if you want. Go around there and tell the bouncers that Han Jeesun sent you; they'll let you in. You can get my number in there too, if you want." She winked and smiled at us, nodding her head towards the side of the building. 

We both bowed gratefully and thanked her, waving as we walked into the alley, seeing a couple people at the door. 

"Wow, hyung, that was actually pretty smart." He said matter-of-factly. As if I didn't know. 

"Only because I have a brain bigger than a frog's." I joked, patting his arm in apology before he attempted to rip me to shreds. 

We stood behind several people and waited as they walked in, the gap between us and the door finally disappearing. 

"Han Jeesun, the bouncer at the front door, told us to come here." Minho said, hoping he'd let us in. 

The bouncer looked down the alley, letting us in when Jeesun waved and nodded to him. We bowed to him and went in, deafened by the booming speakers. 

We stepped onto a balcony that stood above the dance floor. "Perfect to scope her out, eh?" Minho said, looking at the dance floor. 

I nodded and pulled him to the bar, rolling my eyes at his questioning glare. "We are at a club. We will have one drink. It helps keep the craving down, too, and no matter how resistant we are, it gets hard when there are so many people." As much as he wanted to say no, he agreed, knowing that we'd be in here long enough for the craving to kick in. 

The bartender walked our way, wiping down the counter in front of us. "Hey, what can I ge-." He stopped, finally looking up at us. 

Puzzled by his pause, we looked over. "Jaejoong, hi." We both said, smiling a little. 

He smiled back, but I could tell it was forced. "How's everything going, guys? We haven't really had a chance to talk since Yoochun and Changmin..." He trailed off and gulped. 

Minho nodded, "We're okay. How are you doing?"

"I'm functioning," he said, wiping a cup to distract himself from his thoughts, "It's hard though, we're really close and all..." 

I reached over, put my hand on his shoulder, and squeezed it gently. "It's been hard for ~~~~~, too..." 

He nodded, acknowledging that he wasn't alone in his pain and smiled a little in thanks. "So what are you guys all the way out here for?"

"Just out for a break, home's pretty bleak about now." Minho said, lying easily even though he didn't enjoy it.

Jaejoong nodded, "It's nice to get out once and a while, take your mind off things." I nodded in response. 

"By the way, why do you work all the way downtown?" I asked. 

"My parents own this club and I wanted to start saving up money, so yeah." He shrugged. "Anyways, what can I get you two?"

I looked at Minho, and then back at Jaejoong and said, "Whatever has little alcohol in it."

"Water then?" He joked, then pulled out a bottle of rum, two cans of coke, and two cups, dropping some ice in and filling them up. 

I smiled, "How much do we owe you?"

He waved his hand at us, "On the house." Before we could protest, someone called Jaejoong, asking for a refill on their drink, "Well, I've been summoned. Have fun and visit me before you leave, okay?" He asked with a smile. 

"Will do. Thanks." I said, bowing my head and pulling Minho to a table by the railing. "Look for her. Black or brown hair is what she had the last time I saw her, who knows if she's changed it." 

Minho nodded as we both looked around, searching for this girl. We could both feel the presence of at least one other vamp here, but it took a good fifteen minutes before  Minho jumped in his seat, "Hyung, I think I see her!" He exclaimed. 

I followed his line of vision and saw a tall girl with long, orange hair. I squinted, focusing my powers into my vision, so I could see her face. Minho was right; although she had dyed her hair and it looked as if she'd had some sort of plastic surgery, it was definitely her. I high-fived him and drank a little; now that we'd found her, we'd have to keep watch and figure her out, all without being seen or noticed. It wasn't going to be easy, but if it meant saving innocent people and helping my one and only hyung who'd helped me through so much, I'd stake this girl out until I died ...again.

-

At around midnight, the girl began to make her way to the door, only one other girl following her out. She had a brown bob, and she was taller. I pulled Minho up and ran to the bar, waving to Jaejoong with a smile but feeling sorry that I couldn't stay and talk with him. I reminded myself that the only way I'd have time to talk to him in the future was if he was alive, which meant killing her. 

He waved back and told me to tell ~~~~~ to call him. I nodded in response and fled out the door, still dragging Minho behind me. I ran to the front of the building, looking around the corner and seeing the catlike strides that I was looking for. I nodded to Minho and walked out slowly, following them down the street. 

As the people traversing the sidewalk began to thin out, Minho nudged me and pointed to a ladder, suggesting that we follow them from the roofs of the buildings. We climbed the ladder at vampire speed, shooting up and locking our sights on the girl and her friend. 

-

We followed them to an abandoned building, where they walked in. "Mm," Minho whispered, "Homey."

I chuckled and entered the address on my phone's GPS so we could return the next night with no issues. 

We watched the lights flicker on as the girls walked through the building. One of them sent a 'hello' to whoever else was in there, but only one person answered. 

"That makes three people so far..." Minho whispered. 

"And at least two of us..." I added. 

-

After waiting a while to see if we could hear anything more, we began running home; satisfied in what we'd accomplished.