‘What is this?’

Your Artificial Heart

 

You walked up the path to Amber’s house but stopped and tried to calm yourself down. You were still extremely angry that you were possessed even if it was briefly. You closed your eyes, took a breath, then continued walking. You knocked and sat down on the small swing outside Amber’s door.

The door opened and Amber’s mom stepped out. You got up and bowed slightly, “Good afternoon Mrs. Liu.”

“~~~~~, how many times have I told you not to call me that? It makes me feel old. And stop bowing.” She said with a motherly smile.

You smiled back, “Araseo. Amber’s up in her room, right?”

She nodded and walked toward her car, “I left some money for food later. Behave.” She called.

You stepped in side and ran up to Amber’s room. You knocked lightly and opened the door. When Amber saw you, she jumped off her bed and crossed her arms. You put your hands up in surrender and sat down on her bed. She opened to begin asking but you simply gave the same explanation as you did to Yunho, leaving out Onew because you weren’t sure if she noticed, “I wasn’t feeling good this morning, so I stayed home.”

“What about O-.”

“He was taking care of me.” You interjected.

She nodded skeptically and got out a bunch of books out of her bag. She dropped them in your arms and nodded, “Just read chapter 6 for history, and do the page after yesterdays in math. Oh and we have an essay to write in science, just on the last chapter. Something you learned.” She shrugged.

“One day? One day and I miss that much.” You shook your head. Amber laughed.

You grabbed your bag and your books and stood up, “Thanks for getting my books, but I should get home.”

She nodded with a flicker of disappointment in her eyes, “Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

You gave her a big hug, a small peck on the cheek, then jumped down the stairs. You were feeling better after seeing Amber and decided to walk home.

You were across the street from your building when you saw various dark puddles. You looked up at the sky. It was dark and cloudy, but it didn’t look like it had rained. You thought nothing of the little stains as you walked up the front stairs. You started walking to your floor, which was the third. The stairway was quiet as usual, but a couple of the lights had gone out, making the already-dim staircase dimmer. You could still see the little puddles, but now, they were growing larger as you made your way past the second floor door. You stopped and looked up the stairs to the third floor. The puddles were not longer there, now replaced by a steady trail of the dark substance. You started walking slowly, your eyes following the trail up the stairs to a section of the staircase that was pitch black, ‘What is this?’ you thought.

You continued stepping up the stairs until your ended at a quivering figure in the darkness. You gasped quietly and ran up to the form, “Are you alright?” You brought up your hands to see that they were covered in the dark liquid, “Blood…”

You grabbed the person’s arm, shaking it. They shivered violently then whimpered. You recognized that voice and started shaking your head, bringing their head onto your lap, cradling it. “~~~~~…” the person said, coughing. They spit out some blood and coughed some more. You started crying, “Key…”

--

You couldn’t believe something so bad had happened so quickly. You shook your head again and got up, “Key, I’m going to try to help you, but I don’t know if I’m strong enough.”

“Anything…helps…” he gasped.

You grabbed his arm, slung it over your shoulder, and pulled him up. He wasn’t as heavy as you thought he would be, considering he was, like Onew, solid and all muscle. But he was still heavy. You looked up at the third floor landing, only several stairs up. You mentally congratulated him for making it this far, taking into account his condition, because if he hadn’t you probably wouldn’t have made it up the stairs.

You stumbled into the hallway and remembered you could call Onew without really calling, ‘YOU GUYS, WE NEED HELP.’ You sent to the other four brothers. There was no answer like you would have hoped.

“AH… OW… Hu-.” Key began to speak but was cut of when he convulsed. Tears began rolling down your cheeks more frequently as you pushed open your door. You dragged Key to your bedroom and flopped him down on your bed. You the light to see the extent of his wounds and almost screamed. There was a huge hole in his shirt where most of the blood was leaking out, a swollen eye and cuts all over his face, one of his arms was a sickly colour; a third black, a third red, and a third a brownish colour, and there was a gash almost all the way around his calf. You didn’t know what to say as you went into to the washroom to get towels and some water to clean his wounds, you just kept repeating, “It’s okay Key, don’t move. Stay there, I’ll be right back.”

The door slammed opened as Onew ran in with the remaining unharmed brothers close behind, “What happened?” He looked you up and down, noticing the blood all over your clothes and the tears continuously running down your face, “What happened?” he repeated, this time, more softly. You walked into your bedroom and started placing the towels on the largest wounds. The rest of the four brothers came in quietly as you tried to staunch the bleeding from his stomach. You heard various gasps and curse words and turned to see that their mouths were all open in surprise, it looked like Jonghyun might start crying.

“What happened?” Onew repeated for the third time.

“I don’t know… he’s in too much pain to say more than a few words.” You said, wetting a towel and cleaning blood and dirt off of his face.

They all came closer, bending down beside the bed. They were all speechless, looking at the wounds and listening to Key’s coughs and whimpers while you cleaned and covered the biggest wounds. Minho shifted to Taemin and Jonghyun, “How about we go clean up some of the… stains.” He said, avoiding the word ‘blood’. They nodded and walked out of the room, taking another painful look at Key.

You heard them opening drawers, then water running. Onew took a breath, the first one he’d taken since he’d seen Key. You nodded already knowing what he’d say, “He needs blood.” You said, confirming it. You put your arm out to Onew, “Cut me.” He shook his head so you pushed you arm to his mouth. He brushed his fangs over your arm and pushed it back to you.

You put your arm to Key’s mouth, “Drink, Key.” He gratefully looked at you and bit down gently. Onew took the towels from you and continued cleaning.

After a couple of minutes, you were feeling lightheaded and almost collapsed, “Key,” Onew said, “That’s enough. She can’t give anymore.” You felt Key’s teeth retract as he leaned back. You looked at him. He was less pale, and had some colour in his cheeks. Most of the blood was cleaned off of him, but you definitely needed to wash the towels and your sheets. He was still incredibly weak, but he could talk.

“Who did this?” Onew asked as soon as he’d set you on an armchair.

“I don’t know…” he said. As much as he tried to hide it, you could tell he was lying, but you didn’t say anything, “It was a girl.” He said, kind of nodding his head.

“Do you know if she was a vampire or not?” You questioned.

He nodded, “She wasn’t a vampire, but she had the strength of one. And she also had a couple of other people… girls… with her. They…helped.” He winced and looked at Onew with almost pleading eyes.

**Key’s Point Of View**

Aish… this hurts so much… Why did those bit… witches do this to me? What have I done? Onew, you babo. I’m trying to tell you who it is. I thought you were supposed to be smart? Can’t you tell? I’m afraid of sending thoughts because I might be too weak to block them from her. It’s a girl… HER… your girl… Well, your “old” girl. I don’t blame you for dumping her, but God, couldn’t you apologize or something? Her friends are bad too… Ugh…

--

It was almost midnight. You definitely felt better after a bit of blood from Onew. You walked over to Key and his unharmed arm, “How’s it feeling?” you asked.

He coughed, “It’s better, but I still feel really week.”

“I’m sorry I can’t help more.” You said, feeling guilty.

“But Yunho can.” Onew said. You spun around and shook your head, “He already knows, and if he’s willing, it could be a lot safer.” He said.

“I can’t take the memory away anyway, while I’m in this condition.” Key said, looking down at his bandaged-up stomach and arm.

You hesitated, “Only if he agrees. I’ll call him, but no promises.”

You walked into the living room to see that all the stains were gone. As you dialed Yunho’s number, you peeked into the hallway to see Taemin discreetly spraying water onto the remaining stains while Jonghyun and Minho were on the ground with cloths stained pink.

“Yoboseyo.” You heard.

“Oh, Yunho, hello.” You said, “Uh… remember what you saw earlier…with Onew and Taemin?”

There was no sounds on the other line for a moment, “It’s true isn’t it. I mean it’s real?”

“Yes.” You replied.

“So… why are you telling me this?” He asked.

“Something happened to Key…” You said, not knowing how to finish.

“I’ll be right over.” He said and hung up.

~~

Thanks for reading~ And sorry if it's too gory or something ;)