'What the heck is this?'

Your Artificial Heart

 

“Taemin!” The four brothers screamed. They all focused their power on him, not sure if they could do anything. Finally, Taemin let go. He started crying, because he was angry that he was possessed so easily, and that he might have killed you.

“I’m sorry! It wasn’t me!” He said through tears.

Key took Taemin into his arms and brought him away from your limp body. Onew was looking at you with fear and sadness, ‘Will this end up like my last relationship?’ He shook his head and stood up, “So what are we going to do?” Minho asked, Taemin’s hair, trying to get him to stop crying.

“Well,” Jonghyun begun, “Shouldn’t we bring her to the hospital?”

“And say what?” Onew shot back, “My possessed dongsaeng drained my girlfriend?” Immediately, Taemin wriggled out of Key’s arms and ran upstairs in tears, “Taemin-ah…” Onew reached his hand out, then pulled it back.

“I guess you’ll just have to give her some of your blood and hope it’s not to late.” Jonghyun said, shrugging. By that, he meant hope that you weren’t going to be turned by the blood.

Onew followed as Jonghyun scooped you up and brought you upstairs to Onew’s room and lay you on the bed. Jonghyun put his hand on Onew’s shoulder and gave him a reassuring nod, ‘Whatever happens, she’ll still love you.’ He sent as he walked out of Onew’s room.

Onew pushed the hair away from your forehead, kissed it, and took a breath, ‘Saranghae, ~~~~~…’ He cut open his wrist and put it to your mouth. ‘Please work… and please keep her human.

After a couple of silent, motionless minutes, Onew put his head down, afraid it was too late. You had just started to become conscious, and saw that you were drinking Onew’s blood. You lifted your arm slowly, grabbed his hand, and pushed away, making sure to hold the cut. He slowly raised his head, meeting your eyes. You were still weak, but you were conscious. He touched your face and knew that you hadn’t been turned. He smiled from ear to ear, almost looking teary, “Onew, I’m fine.” He kissed you gently, “Oh, and Onew?”

“Neh?” He said.

“Saranghae.” You said with a smile. He leaned over and kissed you again, this time, deepening the kiss.

You heard a knock on the door, and as much as you wanted to continue, you pushed on Onew’s chest and pointed to the door, ‘Why do we keep getting interrupted?’ You heard from Onew. You laughed frailly.

The four remaining four brothers came in, Taemin hiding behind everyone.

“Are you alright?” Minho asked.

“Feeling better?” Key asked with a small smile.

“Are you a vampire?” Jonghyun asked.

“Jonghyun hyung!” Taemin said, hitting Jonghyun’s .

You laughed, “Yes, yes, and no.” pointing at each brother as you answered their question. You looked over at Taemin who had now climbed up on Minho’s back, but when you met his eyes, he dropped down and hid, “Taemin, come here.” You put your arms out.  He peeked out from behind Key’s back. You gestured toward you and sent, ‘It’s alright, I know it wasn’t you. I could feel you were being possessed.’

At the last words, he ran over with tears in his eyes, “Mianhe.” He repeated over and over, sometimes sending it, sometimes saying it out loud.

And with every time he said it, you replied with “It’s alright” or “It’s okay”. Key looked like he was going to cry himself, so he left with Jonghyun to go make you a late snack to get your energy back. Minho picked up Taemin who was tired despite his “meal”.

You started to get up, but Onew gently pushed you down, “No way, you’re not going anywhere.”

“But there’s school tomorrow.” You said horrified. You hadn’t been paying attention in school since you met Onew, even if it had only been two days. You needed school, it was like your haven.

“I’ll stay home with you and Junsu and Amber can come if they want.” Onew said, trying to tempt you.

You shook your head, “No, you don’t have to, you have to finish school.”

Onew tsked, “You keep forgetting that I’m over a century old. Ever wonder why I’m so smart?” He put quotations on the last two syllables, “I’ve finished school too many times.” He admitted, rolling his eyes.

Onew lay down beside you and your head, “Onew? Can you sing a song for me?”

He nodded and thought for a moment, “This is called Please Don’t Go, my friend from a while ago used to sing it all the time.” He took a breath and begun singing, “Eojetbam kkumsoge nega naege dagawa~Soksagin geu mari nae eolgul manjideon geu meoritgyeori~”By the end of the second chorus, you were crying, just like the night at your sleepover. At the last words, fell into a blissful sleep, or so you thought.

--

You awoke to find yourself on a dark street, ‘What the heck is this?’ It looked so familiar but so mysterious. It was also a bit blurry, like there was some sort of film over your vision. You looked around you to see that there was almost no one there, only a few stray couples and old men. You started walking, though you didn’t know where to or how long it would take you. You only knew that you needed to be there, that something was going to happen.

Your legs took you around the corner. While you were walking, you heard screams. You spun to look down an alleyway and saw a couple being mauled by a girl. She looked not much older than you, but she was overpowering the man and the woman at the same time. Soon the couple was lying on the ground and the girl was walking away. Something about the whole scene was too familiar. Like you’d seen it before, but you couldn’t remember anything at that moment, it seemed. You tried to run, but your feet were glued to the ground. Figuratively, of course. You stood there, wanting to cry that these people weren’t going to get help at your expense, and definitely not anyone else’s considering the street seemed deserted now.

All of a sudden, you heard pained noises from the other end of the alley. You looked up and saw that the couple was suddenly gone. You looked around frantically, trying to find out how they could have passed you since you were at the mouth of the alley. You were deep in thought when your legs started to move again. They now took you into a residential area, with a bunch of houses, apartment buildings, and some parks. One memory came back as you were dragged along.

You sat on the grass in a huge backyard with an average sized house behind, you playing with a bunch of toys until a woman came out with some lemonade, “Umma~” You sang as she bent down beside you. She gave you a cup and kissed your forehead.

While you were having that short flashback, you’d stopped in front of a house. You noticed it had all the lights of except for in one room, ‘This all looks so familiar…’You thought.

Your legs begun to walk again. You approached the door, but became frantic since you clearly had no intention of stopping. You went straight through the door and up the stairs to the only lighted room in the house. You stepped into the room to see a girl, younger than you, dancing around her room singing. The phone rang and she picked up, turning the music down. She sat on her bed, with a smile on her face due to her favourite song coming on. The smile quickly faded when she heard what the person had to say. She hung up after the short call and dropped the phone, “Umma…” She began to cry uncontrollably, “Appa…” She screamed loudly.

--

Your eyes flew open. You looked around wondering where you were. Your mind became a little less fuzzy while last night’s events came back to you. You rubbed your eyes and looked at the time. 12:52, ‘Omo… I slept for a long time.’ You rolled over to see that you were alone in the bed, “Huh,” You said aloud this time, “I thought Onew was with me.”

“Jagiya~” Onew sang from downstairs, “Come downstairs for breakfast.”

‘Was I thinking that loud?’

“Yes you were!” Onew called. You slapped your forehead, quickly went into the bathroom, freshened up, and walked downstairs. You planted a kiss on Onew’s cheek and sat down at the table.

“I thought you’d never wake up.” He said, jokingly. You laughed half-heartedly. He brought over your omelet and sat down beside you, “Is something wrong?”

You used you fork and played with your omelet, biting your lip, “I had a dream, or more like a nightmare.”

Onew’s lips parted, “What was it about?”

You explained your cloudy dream, frequently saying how familiar everything looked.

“I don’t know if it means anything, but I can’t get over the fact that I knew everything…” You repeated.

“I’m sure it’ll be fine.” Onew said. 

After eating about half of your brunch, you and Onew sat down on the couch, a third watching the show, a third talking, and a third just looking into each other’s eyes, saying a lot more than words could ever.

--

“We should go pick up Taemin. I don’t trust him being alone while all of this is going on.” Onew said, referring to the possession.

You nodded and followed him to his car. You expected to see a shiny, glamourous car, but instead saw a red Volkswagen Beetle. You got into the passenger seat, waited for Onew to start the car, then slugged him in the shoulder.

“Yah. What was that for?” He asked, rubbing his arm, even though it probably didn’t hurt him.

You giggled, “Punch buggy, no punch backs~” You singsonged, wiggling your finger.

He smiled and backed out of the driveway.

~~

Wow… that took long… Sorry ^^;; Thanks for reading <3 Btw, if you don't understand the "punch buggy no punch backs" thing, don't worry, you're not missing much except a bunch of bruises ;)