The New Kid

Your Artificial Heart

 

 

It was the second semester at Seoul High. 'I can't wait to see my friends.' You thought, walking along the trees on campus. You’d been in Hong Kong visiting your uncle and aunt and you hadn’t seen them for two weeks. Just as you finished the thought you heard a voice.

"YAH. WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING WITHOUT YOUR BEST FRIEND?" You spun around to see your best friend Amber running toward you. You held your arms opened and braced yourself for the incoming hug attack.

“Oof!” You grunted as she reached you. You pulled back from Amber’s death grip and laughed, “Amber, you know it’s only been two weeks right?”

She nodded, “I know, but we’ve never been apart for more than a couple days.” Amber had been your friend since you were in diapers, you were more like sisters than friends, and when your parents died, she was your angel, helping you any way she could. You were eternally grateful and showed her every possible chance you got.

Just as Amber opened to overwhelm you with questions, the bell rang. She grabbed your hand and put on a fierce look, “Kim ~~~~~, you’ve escaped for now. But as soon as first period’s done, you’re mine.” She winked and ran for Language. You smiled, which you only did around Amber, and started to walk to Math.

You sat down at a desk and took out your notebook. Your math teacher walked in and cleared his throat, “Everyone sit down. We have a new student today. His name is Lee Jinki. Come in Mr. Lee.” A skinny, somewhat nerdy boy walked in. He had on big, black glasses, and was looking at all the new faces. His eyes locked with yours for a second, but he quickly looked away and cleared his throat. ‘There’s something about those eyes.’ You thought while staring at him.

He smiled shyly and waved, “Umm, Hi, you can call me Onew.”

“Alright, go sit down so we can start.” Mr. Choi said. Onew looked around for a second, but found a seat. Coincidentally, it was the one next to yours. He mesmerized you, you didn’t understand why, but you were drawn to him. He walked over and sat down quietly.

 While Mr. Choi was talking, you glanced at Onew. He saw and smiled widely. He moved a little closer, “Hi, I’m Onew.”

“I’m ~~~~~.” You said.

“This is boring, I already know this. I taught it to myself last week.” He sighed quietly.

You gasped silently, “Me too.” ‘He’s smart, and he’s actually kind of cute.’ “So what was your other school like?” You asked.

“It was boring,” he whispered, “The library was tiny, and they only had a couple of computers. I didn’t have that many friends either.”

“~~~~~ and Onew, would you like to share with the class?” Mr. Choi called. You could feel the pink creeping onto your cheeks while you shook your head. “Alright then, let’s continue.”

While Mr. Choi turned around to write a problem on the board, you saw Onew looking at you intensely out of the corner of your eye. You looked down at your notebook, not wanting Onew to see the colour your cheeks were turning.

The bell finally rang. Even though you usually despised the bell, today, it was a relief. You even wanted Amber to ask you questions. You rushed out of the class and toward your locker, where Amber was leaning, looking at you menacingly. You hesitated for a second, ‘I actually wanted to be attacked with questions? Onew must make me really uncomfortable.’ You shook your head and resumed walking to a free period full of questions.

--

I'm sorry for the horrible first chapter >.< Please comment and thanks for reading <3