The Enemy

The S Squad

The sound of the alarm clock woke him up from his sleep. After resting for almost three months, he had yet to get used to the normal routine of waking up early. He went on to refresh himself and made his way down to the dining room.

“Morning oppa.” The youngest greeted him with a bright smile, happy that her favourite oppa has finally recovered.

“Morning Hyunnie.” He returned her a smile.

“Hey buddy, how was your sleep?” Taeng asked, hoping that he would feel better today.

“Yeah it was fine. Thanks.” He then took his usual seat at the dining table.

Tiffany, who was still feeling guilty for “forcing” Yul to mention her name, went over to his side to apologise.

“Yul, I’m sorry about yesterday. I didn’t mean it.”

“It’s ok Fany. There’s nothing wrong, don’t worry.” He gave her a slight smile and a hug, hoping to ease her guilt.

“Thanks, Yul.” She flashed her eye smile and went back over to her seat.

“Guys, there will be a meeting in the evening today. The director wants to see us. So everyone can carry on with their usual schedule and gather outside the conference room at 6pm later.” The members nodded their head in response and carried on with the day.

---

Yul went over to the inventory room to get his usual weapon and proceeded to the shooting range for his practice. He needed to get back on track as soon as possible so that he would be able to go on missions together with his team and to find her.

After loading his revolver, he got ready into position. Pressing the red button, the siren went off and targets start appearing. Yul started shoot at each and every target right on the forehead, sending them down before they could even be erected fully. After five rounds of shooting, he pressed the red button again, ending his practice.

TARGETS SHOT: 50/50 HEAD SHOT: 50/50 TIME TAKEN: 6M 12S

Satisfied with his result, he cleared the place before moving on to his next schedule.

---

“Kwon Yul!” Sooyoung came running over to the tanned guy after seeing him approaching from the corridor.

“Taeng told me to help you with your simulation practice. He’s unable to make it. Higher-ups’ orders.”

“Don’t you have any training?” Yul raised his eyebrow at the tall guy.

“I’ve finished it. There’s nothing much for me to do, just some long range shooting and combat fighting.”

“Alright then. Let’s go.”

“Erm, Yul. Can we head over to the cafeteria first?” Sooyoung grinned sheepishly after his stomach released a loud growl.

---

“Come in.” The voice behind the door said after hearing the knocks on the door.

“Sir, I’ve come to see you.” Taeng bowed at his director.

“Ah, Taeng. Come, take a seat.” The director ushered Taeng over to the sofa.

“How are you Taeng?” He asked.

“I’m fine, Sir. Thanks for your concern.” Taeng replied.

“Drop the formalities. There’s no one else here.”

“Yes uncle.”

“So, how are the members doing?”

“They are all fine. Carrying out their duties as usual.” Taeng wondered why the director called him over to his office.

“How about Yul?” So this was about Yul?

“He’s fine, uncle. Recovering well after waking up from his coma. He’s back to his usual training.” He answered.

“That’s good to hear. How is he…coping?” Soo Man hesitated before asking.

“He’s coping well. Although he became a little too quiet, but he still talks and smile.”

“Do you think he’s ready to go on missions?”

“What do you mean uncle?” Taeng asked, knowing slightly where this was going.

“Well,” Soo Man took off his eyeglasses before continuing, “Yesterday, I’ve received a report from the government, requesting our help in a case of illegal drug smuggling into the country. I was hoping to send your team on field but I’m not sure if your members are ready to go on another mission yet.”

“With due respect uncle, but why us? I mean, if it’s a case of drug smuggling, I believe the other squads can carry out the mission easily too.” Taeng sensed that there were more to it. The director would only give them cases that were of a certain level of difficulty because they were the top squad for a reason.

“The Black Dragons were suspected to be involved this time. That’s why.”

If The S Squad is the top special unit squad in the country, then The Black Dragons would be the top crime organization in the underworld society. They were the black and white, total opposite of each other. And it can only take one to defeat the other.

“I’m not sure if we’re able to take on the mission uncle.” Taeng hesitated.

The Black Dragons were more than just wanted criminals to them. The Black Dragons were their most hated enemy. They were the ones who cause that incident the last time The S Squad was dealing with them. Taeng was not sure if the members were ready to deal with them yet, or more specifically, Yul.

“We really need your team’s help Taeng. If it’s The Black Dragons, we can only count on The S Squad. They have been causing troubles for so long. It’s time to stop them, to bring peace for the people of South Korea.” Soo Man pleaded.

“I…I’ll talk to them about it.” Never once did the director asked them for something. Taeng didn’t have the heart to reject his plea. He could only pray that s will be okay with it, hopefully.