The Past

The S Squad

This is a really long chapter. I was somehow writing it and it somehow got too long i didn't realised it until i stop lol. It's about 7 pages long i think. Probably the longest chapter I've written so far. Enjoy.


At 2200HR sharp, the team started gathering their belongings and weapons as given from the weaponry department, and slowly making their way to the cockpit, ready for departure.

Most of the agents, together with Soo Man, gather infront of the cockpit, waiting to send the S Squad off for their departure.

Victoria, the leader of the F Squad, who were specialized in transport and mechanism, jumped out of the plane that they would be boarding on, followed by her four other team mates.

“The plane’s done with the service and check. It’s all fine. Luna would be sending you guys off to your destination, together with Amber as your co-pilot. We’ll be back to pick you guys up two weeks later, 2200HR, at Haneda Airport.” She told them while cleaning her greasy hands with a cloth.

“Alright, we’ll take note of it. Thanks a lot Victoria.” Taeng replied.

“No problem, Taeng. We’ll take off whenever you guys are ready.”

“It’s time to go. We’ve got a rescue mission to take care off.”

Taeng, together with the rest of the team gave the director and the rest of their seniors and other agents a salute, before boarding the plane.

“We’ll wait for the good news.” Soo Man saluted back, as followed by the other agents.

One by one, the members boarded the plane, with Yul being the last. When Yul was about to board, a hand grasped him, making stop in his steps. He turned back, looking at the pair of eyes that were very identical to those icy blue ones that he had always loved.

“Oppa, please bring my unnie back safely.” Krystal looked into his eyes and said.

Jessica and Krystal. Sooyeon and Soojung. The Jung sisters. These two joined the Force together at such a young age, with the same goal in mind. To bring justice to those who suffered innocently, just like their parents.

Mr and Mrs Jung were missionary doctors. Each time the parents went on a mission, Jessica and Krystal would be sent to Tiffany’s parents, whom were best friends with the couple. Usually, the mission would take at least a month to the longest being six months. And after that, they would pick the sisters up from their friends’ house, and have dinner together like a family, talking about the daily lives that they’ve missed out on.

Jessica and Krystal love to have talks with their parents, even at a young age, because their parents would always have interesting stories from their mission to share with them. And they would even show the sisters pictures that they took with the patients, how the kids smiled so brightly together with each other. Usually, kids would be jealous when their parents spent more time with other kids instead. But it was not the case for Jessica and Krystal. They looked up to their parents a lot, because they were able to bring those bright smiles to the kids face despite some of them having chronic diseases.  They gave the kids medicine and made them feel better from the pain. They help to cure them. They gave the kids hope and strength to fight against their diseases. They were proud of their parents and they want to be like them, going on mission and giving the other kids hope. They wanted to be missionary doctors too when they grow up, just like their parents. That was their dream.

Just like any other times, Mr and Mrs Jung were going on a mission for six months at Afghanistan, to help those that got hurt from the ongoing war. Jessica and Krystal greeted both of them goodbye with a peck on the cheek and a warm hug, before sending them off with bright smiles, at the pavement of the Tiffany’s house. However, little would they know that it was the last time they would see their parents.

The sisters lost both their parents to the war. It was said that the two brave doctors protected the innocent children from the cold-hearted soldiers, and unfortunately lost their lives. Their bodies were sent back to South Korea, guided by the same team of doctors and nurses that went together with them. 

But as young as the sisters were, they didn’t know that their parents wouldn’t be coming back to their lives anymore. They didn’t know why their mom and dad were lying inside a rectangular wooden box, buried at least 10 ft. deep in the ground. They didn’t know why people were crying, talking about their mom and dad, placing white flowers in front of the two stones where their parents were lowered down. They didn’t understand death. They cried because they saw everyone crying. People were hugging them, telling them to have strength and be strong.

 Mr and Mrs Hwang told them that mommy and daddy went somewhere far away and would not be coming back so soon. The sisters thought that they went somewhere far for another mission. They took the sisters in to live together. It was not until the age of 15, when Tiffany’s grandfather passed away, then Jessica understood death. Since then, she promised to bring justice for their parents, to sentence those who did bad things with what they deserved. She enrolled herself into SSF training school, after successfully convincing Mr and Mrs Hwang about it. Tiffany didn’t want to be separated from her best friend, who was also her sister, followed Jessica into the training school as well. Shortly after, Krystal joined as well.

Jessica and Krystal were both focused on the same goal that they had. They trained hard together and made it to the top of their field. They hardly made any friends, except when Tiffany introduced the sisters to a group of friends who were around the same age as Jessica. Most of the time, the sisters were seen together alone, if not with Tiffany. They seldom laughed or smile. They were expressionless. The other recruits didn’t dare to approach them even though they were the few beautiful recruits in the force. They were seen and appreciated from afar by others. That earned them the nickname ice princesses. Jessica the ice princess and Krystal the mini ice princess.

It wasn’t until when a tall tanned handsome kid with a bright smile and white set of teeth joined the force one year later, then the other recruits starting seeing a little change in the ice princess.

The tanned kid was introduced to the same group of friends by Taeng, the baby-face boy as his best friend. They two boys wanted to be protect the country from the evil, probably because they watched too much action cartoons, and so they joined the force. Being the cheerful and bubbly kid, Yul was the first recruit in the force, apart from Tiffany, to approach Jessica.

“Hi! My name is Kwon Yul! What about you?” The said boy held out his hand, giving her a handsome grin.

Jessica stared at him with her same expressionless face for a while, before looking down to her food.

“Beautiful eyes..” Yul whispered with his mouth agape.

Since then on, Yul would always try to talk to Jessica, telling her about his days, walking her around for her training schedules. Yul would always be the one talking between the two. But he didn’t mind. He would be sitting beside her during meals and when they had the same schedules. He would always be seen with Jessica. Not that Jessica didn’t mind, she just didn’t bother to scold him off and ask him to leave her alone because he was different from others.

Yul was the first ever to approach him by himself. He didn’t give her those stares that many other recruits gave her. She was able to see that he was genuine about being friends with her. He knew clearly about boundaries too. He didn’t step over the line and would always give Jessica her needed personal space. He would stay quiet when he realizes that Jessica got a little bothered by his presence. He would walk a little further apart when he sensed that Jessica needed some time alone. He cared for her. And Jessica was grateful for that because he could feel his sincerity. But she didn’t know how to thank him because she wasn’t use to interacting with others apart from her sister, Tiffany and Mr and Mrs Hwang.

One day during lunch, Yul wasn’t seen anywhere. Jessica was curious of his presence because Yul would always sit beside her everytime at lunch without fail. But she didn’t dare to ask Tiffany because she would so scream and let the others know and they would about it.

“Maybe he got punished by one of the trainers.” As if Taeng heard her thoughts, he shrugged his shoulders, knowing that his best friend can be a little too playful sometimes.

“Yeah maybe. He nearly got scolded by Sir Kang when we had Physical Training last week.” Sooyoung said while munching on his food.

“Hey! Chew and swallow before talking you giant!” Sunny elbowed him when a piece of lettuce flew out from his mouth.

“Sorry bunny”

After that, everyone started devouring their lunch together, not worrying much about their missing friend.

It wasn’t until when a pair of recruits walked past the table and Jessica heard their conversation unintentionally.

“Wow such an . He actually tried to injure her just because she rejected his confession?” Eunji said.

“Yeah, Kai literally went crazy. Guess he couldn’t handle the rejection because girls always approach him first.” Bomi replied.

“That was stupid of Kai. He’s always so cocky. Wasn’t any of the trainers around?”

“There is. Or was. One recruit injured herself accidentally and he sent her to the infirmary. He then told one senior, who was walking by, to help look after the class while he bring the girl away for her wounds. Then Kai took the opportunity to attack her. We were all shocked and we thought that Krystal would definitely be injured badly.” Bomi explained.

‘Krystal..?!’ Jessica stood up immediately after hearing her sister’s name. She approached the pair of girls but stopped halfway after hearing what happened next.

“Luckily the senior managed to save her from Kai. He was so fast he went past like a flash. They next thing we know, he was lying on the ground with Krystal in his arms. “

“Oh my god, then what happened??”

“When Krystal managed to escape unharmed but the senior got stabbed at his lower torso and he was bleeding quite badly.”

“OH MY GOD!!! Did he die?!”

“Of course not! Krystal helped to stop his wounds from bleeding and the rest of the class went to stop Kai and pinned him to the ground. That’s when the trainer came back and everything was put back into hands.”

“Bet Kai gonna be expelled or locked up. After so long, finally some justice has been done to that cocky guy!”

“Yeah but the senior was so cool though. And he’s so handsome! He still tried to calm everyone down saying that he’s fine. He was so sweet!”

“What’s his name! Which section is he training under!” Eunji asked excitedly.

“Not sure though. He seems new. Never really seen him around before. But he’s tall, tanned and handsome! He’s every girls’ ideal type!” Bomi replied, swooned over the senior.

‘Tall, tanned handsome? Could it be him?’

Without any thoughts, Jessica approached the two girls and asked them, “Where’s Krystal? What happened to her?”

The two girls were so shocked that the ice princess was actually talking to them they stood still for a moment.

“Where’s Krystal?” Jessica asked again, bringing them back to their consciousness.

“In..in..infirmary room.” the girl with light brown locks and blonde highlights answered her.

“Thank you.” Jessica said before running off, having Tiffany and the rest following her.

“Did she just thank me?” Bomi asked Eunji.

“I think so.” Eunji replied, equally shock.

“Oh my god.”

---

When Jessica reached the infirmary room, she didn’t bother to knock and barged in just like that.

“Unnie!”

“Soojung! Are you alright! Are you hurt anywhere?!” Jessica asked while spinning her sister around, examining her.

“I’m fine unnie. Thanks to Yul oppa. He saved me.” Krystal replied, pointing to the guy behind laying on bed, sleeping peacefully.

‘It’s really him..’

“Is he alright?” Jessica asked her sister while staring at the boy.

“Yeah, luckily the wound isn’t deep. He’s just on sedative after the doctor stitched his wounds up.” Krystal explained.

“What about that bastard?”

“Kai got brought back by the higher-ups for questioning. He’d probably be locked-up for a while and then be expelled from the force.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about him?”

“Well I didn’t know he would do that.”

“Jessi!” Tiffany and the rest managed to catch up with Jessica.

“Why did you run off suddenly with- Oh My God is that Yul?” Tiffany stopped her question after seeing the familiar face lying on bed.

“OH MY GOD! What happened to him! Is he alright! Is he dying! OH MY GOD BUDDY DON’T LEAVE ME!”

“Stop exaggerating Taeng!” Tiffany hit him on his head.

“He’s fine. He’s just on sedative. He got injured while saving me.” Krystal explained to Tiffany and the others.

“Saving you? What happened, Soojung?”

Krystal then explained the whole story again to the rest.

“What the hell?”

“Man he’s got the guts.”

“Don’t worry I’ll ask my uncle to expel him. He’s too dangerous to be kept in the force.”

“Yeah he doesn’t deserve to be an agent!”

‘BEEP BEEP’

Their watches sounded, signaling them to go for their next schedule.

“Well, glad that you’re fine Soojung. Please be careful next time. If anything like this were to happen again, don’t hesitate to inform us okay?” Tiffany gave her a hug.

“We should go for our schedule now, before we get punished.” Tiffany ushered the rest out

“But Yul-“

“Jessica will take care of him. They can’t have too many people at the infirmary together too anyway.” Tiffany dragged Taeng out.

“What I didn’t even-“

“We’ll see you later Jessi.” The door slammed and it became quiet again.

“-agree that I’ll look after him..”

Jessica stared at Yul for a moment.

‘Just do it Jessica. He saved Krystal.’ She sighed before taking a seat beside the bed.

She saw the bandage around his torso, with an area turning a little pink from the blooding seeing through.

“Stupid fool. He didn’t even think before acting. What if he got hurt badly?” She mumbled to herself.

‘WAIT. Why am I even caring for him!’ Jessica widened her eyes.

‘He saved Krystal. That’s why. Yeah that’s why.’ She convinced herself.

Jessica saw the blanket dropping off the bed, and she adjusted it, making sure that it covered Yul properly. When she was adjusting it, Yul suddenly woke up. She was shocked. They stared into each other’s eyes for a minute.

“Hi.” Yul gave her a faint smile.

She quickly took her sit back at the chair beside the bed, ignoring the guy while playing with her phone.

“Ouch..” Yul tried to sit up on his own but he wasn’t able to.

“Hey what are you doing!” Jessica heard him and helped him with it.

“I was just trying to get a drink.” He replied.

Without saying anything, Jessica went over to the water jar and poured him a drink, before walking back to his side with a cup.

“Thanks.” He said. Jessica didn’t reply anything.

After having his drink, the both of them were just sitting in the room quietly, without exchanging any words. Yul was looking at Jessica, while Jessica was playing with her fingers, looking down.

“Are you-“

“Thank you.”

They both said at the same time.

“Huh?” Yul looked at her, shocked.

“Thank you. For saving my sister.” Jessica looked up and repeated what she said, this time, with a faint smile.

That was the first time Yul had heard her voice, and seen her smile.

“You’re welcome.” Yul responded back with his usual smile and the both of them smile at each other a while and start laughing together without a reason.

“Jessica?” Yul calmed himself down after a while.

“Hm?”

“You’re really beautiful when you smile.” Yul told her.

“Thank you” Jessica replied with a faint blush.

“Are you gonna say thank you everytime we talk now?” Yul laughed.

“No.”

“O…kay..”

There was an awkward silence.

 “But Yul. Thank you. For everything.”

“Anything for the beautiful princess.” Yul gave her his dazzling smile again.

Ever since that day, Jessica talked a little more, smile a little more, and became a little bit friendlier. She started responding to her friends’ jokes and even tried interacting with them. Even Krystal made new friends of her own. Tiffany was glad that the sisters were slowing getting back to how they were like when they were young. Sometimes, Jessica would even been seen giving one of her brightest smiles to Yul. Nobody knew what happened in the infirmary room that day but they didn’t ask. They were just glad that the sun kissed prince had managed to melt the ice princess. The ice princess became a warm ice. The sun kissed prince’s warm ice.

Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath before exhaling, he pulled Krystal into his embrace before patting her head and giving her his assurance, “Don’t worry Soojung, I’ll bring your Unnie back safely no matter what. She belongs to here, with us.”

Krystal gave him a nod, while letting go of the hug. “Be careful Oppa. We’ll wait for all of your return.”  Yul gave her a smile before boarding the plane.

We’re coming Sica. I’m coming.