The Permission

The S Squad

I apologise for the really long wait. I kinda fell into a slump. Especially after all the incidents that happened. Here's the long awaited update.  


With a folder in his hands, Taeng made his way to the director’s office. He has promised s that he would bring them all together to Japan, but he had not asked for the director’s permission before that.

Wiping his palms on his pants, he knocked on the door, hoping that the director would agree to let them proceed with this crazy mission.

“Come in”

Taeng walked in with an unreadable expression on his face and greeted the director.

“Oh what brought our best leader here? Take a seat son.” Soo Man directed Taeng over.

“Good afternoon Sir. Here’s the report of the previous case with regards to Lee Hyuk Jae’s capture.” Taeng handed a yellow folder to the director.

“That’s fast, as expected from the best squad.” Soo Man flipped through the document before putting it down.

“So, how did the interrogation went?”

“We managed to get the answers needed. Lee Hyuk Jae was tasked to bring those drugs over and in return, he would be rewarded with a big amount of money… it’s also the reason for his betrayal.”

“Money makes the world goes round, but money is also the dirtiest thing in the world. It’s a pity, he was one of the best. How’s Hyoyeon coping?”

“She’s fine, Sir.”

“That’s good to hear. Good job Taeng, help me thank the others too. Don’t worry, you guys will be awarded with a long awaited break.” Soo Man gave him a smile.

“About that Sir, there’s something I’d like to request on behalf of the team.” Taeng said.

“Please allow us to make a trip down to Japan. Tokyo to be specific.”

“Of course! Anything for my best squad! It’s good to have a holiday elsewhere too. No problem, everything will be arranged for you guys.”

“No sir, it’s not for holiday.”

“Oh. Then for what purpose?”

“We found Jessica’s whereabouts.” Soo Man widened his eyes.

“We managed to get it out of Eunhyuk hyung.”

“Where is she?” Soo Man asked.

“She got captured and taken back by the Black Dragons to their hideout.” Taeng answered.

“We’ve decided to bring her back and we need your permission of this mission.”

There was a moment of silence. Taeng was praying that the director would heed to their request. If not, he would probably have to sneak out together with the member, and they would have to bear severe consequences.

“Taeng, you have to understand that breaking in to their hideout is dangerous. You guys will be facing almost the whole of The Black Dragons and I can’t afford to lose so many agents at once. Especially The S Squad.”

Taeng remained silent with his head down.

Please.

Please.

Please.

Soo Man suddenly pressed his intercom and said, “Attention to all members, there is an urgent rescue mission. All departments are to assist The S Squad members in this mission. The subject of this rescue mission is in-field specialist Jessica Jung. Everyone is to drop their current mission on-hand and assist them in whichever way you can. This is an order from the director. Thank you.”

Taeng looked up to the Director. YES!

“Go and bring her back Taeng. The S Squad isn’t complete without nine members. I send 8 men there and I expect to have everyone coming back alive. This is an order.” Soo Man gave him a smile.

“Yes Sir!” Taeng saluted the director with a smile on his face too.

“Proceed with your mission.”

“Thank you Sir!” Taeng bowed.

Soo Man smiled to himself after Taeng exited the room. He then opened his drawer and took out a photo frame. In the photo were 9 young kids with Soo Man himself. These kids joined the force when they were young and he practically watched them all grow up together with his own niece. They were like his own children.

When his niece first wanted to join the force because she wanted to be like her uncle, bringing justice to the bad and peace to the country, he objected. He didn’t want his niece to go through what he went through before. Being a member of the SSF was not easy at all. You would have to dedicate your whole life to the force and nation and risk your life during missions. Having witnessed many brave members of the force sacrificed their lives to the nation, he didn’t want to lose his own niece like this too.

But his niece was just as stubborn as he is. She disregarded all the objections from the family members and went ahead with her dream. Even Soo Man himself couldn’t stop her. She managed to make it passed the tests and training school, and successfully graduate as the best in her department, earning herself a spot in The S Squad as the explosives expert together with her eight close friends whom she knew during her teenage years in the training school.  They were probably the closest and the most bonded team in the force, and they worked their way to the top together with their best teamwork, becoming the best squad in the country.

Everytime Soo Man send them out for missions, even though he knew them the best and was aware that their skills were on top and the best, he still can’t help but worry for the nine of them.  When one of them were lost during the major mission three months back, his heart was so painful and he regretted his decision for sending them on their own for the mission. He knew it was risky and yet he went on with it. He wasn’t able to forgive himself till now.

He was so glad when he was told that she was alive.

Removing his glasses, Soo Man wiped off a few tears.

“It’s been a while since we’ve experience the cold temperature around us. Come back soon Sooyeon ah.” Soo Man looked at the young girl who was smiling brightly in the photo, holding hands with the tanned boy beside her, before placing the photo frame back into his drawer.