The Orientation

The S Squad

He kept running and running, attempting to hide away from the enemy. He couldn’t afford to shoot aimlessly when he’s running low on ammo.  He threw himself against the rough wall, catching up on his breath. This pursue had been going for nearly 30 minutes now, and it’s going nowhere. Reloading his gun for the last time, he prepared himself for the final showdown. This was it. It’s either him or the enemy. Sensing footsteps nearing, he took a deep breath. Gripping on his gun tightly, he came out from his hiding place and aimed. Two gunshots were heard.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. ENEMY TERMINATED. TIME TAKEN: 26M 51S

The lights came on and the simulation room went back to its original form.  The said figure came walking out of the room, removing his weapon and combat suit.

“Dude, what happened? Your timing today is bad. Or may I say that it’s your worst record.” A slightly shorter guy went over to his best friend to check on him.

“I’m fine Taeng, just slightly out of it.”

“You took longer than usual and you nearly ran out of ammo. That never happened before.  Are you sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah, I guess I’ve been resting for too long. I just need to train more to get back on track.” The best friend assured him.

“Take your time dude. There’s no need for you to rush. You just recovered from nearly being KIA.” Taeng helped his best friend to clear up the equipment and accompanied him back to the dormitory.

“Hyungs! There you guys are, I’ve been running around looking for the both of you!” A younger guy came running towards the two best friends and came to a stop, panting.

“What’s up Yoong?”

“Orientation! That’s what’s up! Have you forgotten about it hyung?!”

“What orientation?”

“The orientation for the recuits! The welcome ceremony!”

“Oh ! I was busy helping this guy over here with his training it slipped off my mind!” Taeng gave his best friend a nudge, blaming him for his own forgetfulness.

“You both still got approximately fifteen minutes to prepare! Everyone else will be waiting at the entrance of the hall. Don’t be late as the director will be there for the opening speech!”

With that said, the two best friends were seen sprinting back to their dormitory.

---

The hall was filled with new recruits murmuring and whispering to one another. They were just simply awed by the facilities and couldn’t contain their excitement in their journey at Seoul’s best operation unit. The recruits rise from their seats when the arrival of the director was announced, giving their best behaviour in hopes for gaining his attention.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Seoul’s Specialisation Force (SSF). I’m Lee Soo Man, director of SSF. Today, you’ll be embarking on your journey to being the protectors of South Korea. On behalf of SSF, I would like to thank each and every courageous man and woman, in committing your lives for the safety of the people and the country.” The director gave his welcome speech.

Meanwhile, a group of special agents were seen panicking outside the entrance of the hall.

“Unnie! The director will be ending his speech in five minutes time!” A young girl ran out from the hall, informing her fellow team mates.

“Where the hell are those two idiots?!” A brunette was pacing up and down, with a frown evident on her face.

“Yoong, are you sure that you told them to be here in fifteen minutes?”

“Yes noona, I even told them not to be late because the director was going to be present.” Yoong bite his lip, praying that the two best friends would arrive as soon as possible.

“Taeng’s so gonna get it from me later! I reminded him this morning and he still can forget about it.” The brunette continued pacing around the entrance, looking at her watch while doing so.

“Guys I think Soo Man-ssi is ending his speech soon.” The tallest was seen tipping toe, observing the situation inside the hall.

“Damn those tw-“

“We’re here!” The said best friends came running to their team mates, with disheveled hair and uniform untucked and not button properly.

“Two minutes. Fix yourselves. Explain at the dorm after.” The brunette took a deep breath and composed herself, before walking into the hall calmly with the rest of the team mates following behind.

“Hyung! I thought I said to get ready in fifteen minutes!” Yoong helped them to tidy their hair and uniform while waiting for their signal to go on stage.

“Now recruits, I believe this is the moment all of you have been waiting for. Introducing the pride of SSF, the nine special agents from The S Squad.” Smoothing out their uniforms, the group of special agents went up on stage. The director passed the mic over to the leader before giving each of them a pat on the shoulder while on his way down. Everyone was excited to meet the top squad of the country, even their black uniforms which were different from the rest, stood out and looked cool. As expected of the renowned S Squad.

The leader checked his appearance one more time before greeting the recruits. “Good morning recruits, we’re The Soshi Squad, also known as The S Squad. I’m Special Agent Kim Taeng, specialised in infiltrating.” One by one, the members introduced themselves.

“I’m Tiffany Hwang, specialised in mission strategizing and planning.”

“I’m Sunny Lee, specialised in explosives.”

“I’m Choi Sooyoung, sniper of the team.”

“I’m Kim Hyoyeon, specialised in weapons developing.”

“Good morning, I’m Seo Juhyun, specialised in technology.”

“Hi, I’m Im Yoong, specialised in close combat fighting.”

“I’m Kwon Yul, specialised in firearms.”

The recruits were awed by not only their specialisations, but they didn’t expect the agents of the top squad of the country to be that good looking and beautiful. However, there was this one question that lingered on every recruit’s mind but no one dared to ask. There were supposed to be nine of them, so where’s the remaining one?

Sensing the recruits’ behaviour, Taeng automatically cleared their doubts by introducing the remaining one agent that was not present.

“There’s another member in the team. However, she’s unable to be here at the moment. Her name is Jessica Jung, and she’s specialised in on-field missions.” He said carefully while casting a worried glance at his best friend, afraid that the mentioned name would trigger his emotions.