Cold Surprise

Bullied for Love

COLD SURPRISE

 

“What are you doing here?”

“My best friend is in pain and I can’t ignore that.” Baekhyun smiles even more and then sits up next to Kyungsoo. He immediately pulls his best friend into a hug and begins crying.

“Thank you.” Kyungsoo smiles and pats his back. This is what his best friend needs right now. Just a lot of comfort because there is obviously something big that is going on and Baekhyun can’t take this on alone. He skipped class just to come visit his friend thinking that he would’ve skipped too, but unfortunately he didn’t. Kyungsoo just waited inside the room until Baekhyun got home and when he heard the door open, he waited to surprise his best friend. It wasn’t as planned, but he still surprised him. Kyungsoo runs his fingers through Baekhyun’s hair. 

 

They pull apart after a minute of hugging.

“So what’s the matter? You’re always happy so something crazy must’ve happened to make you this sad.” Baekhyun nodded slowly and wiped his tears away. He cleared his throat before telling Kyungsoo what has happened since the hospital. It wasn’t much, but it took a while because Baekhyun would occasionally pause to cry. 

 

Baekhyun started from when he texted Chanyeol and then went to school to see him only to be ignored. It confused him, of course, because after three months of being in the hospital, you would expect someone to be happy to see that you got out. At the end of the day yesterday, Chanyeol told Baekhyun to just leave him alone and that he would give the smaller boy a reason to do so if he didn’t listen. 

 

Baekhyun continued with Chanyeol not greeting him back in the morning the next day. He then explained to Kyungsoo why he thinks Chanyeol is cutting himself due to the gym incident and the wound that he briefly saw. Kyungsoo was shocked to hear that Chanyeol is hurting himself. Of course Baekhyun feels guilty for being the cause of it, but what can he do if Chanyeol doesn’t even want to talk to him? 

 

“There you have it… the entire story.” Kyungsoo nodded and made comments along the way, but now he understands why Baekhyun is so sad. Hell, he would be sad too if that all happened to him. Kyungsoo sighs before giving his final opinion of what Baekhyun should do about the situation. 

“Alright, I think you need to back off of him.” Baekhyun was hoping to not hear that, but he understood it’s for the best. 

“Why though?”

“You’re getting hurt and he’s getting hurt. The main cause is you. I don’t mean to say it so bluntly, but he’s too protective of you-”

“Kyungsoo do you not see what he did to me?” Baekhyun pointed to cheek, but Kyungsoo only lowered the boy’s finger. 

“I understand, but if you two don’t make contact, then nothing will happen correct? I’m sure you guys will have it hard at first, but after a while, it’s going to get easier.” Baekhyun nodded and knew Kyungsoo was right, but he wants to be with Chanyeol and there’s no denying it. Kyungsoo can see the tough dispute going inside Baekhyun and puts his hand on his friend’s shoulder. 

“It’s only my opinion, you can probably find another way of attacking this. I know nothing of a relationship other than the small squabble I’m having now.” Baekhyun then realized that Kyungsoo is meeting someone too.

“Who is it?”

“He’s a dancer… I told you about him before.” 

“Oh, your ‘study date’ that you left me for?” 

“You say it like you don’t believe me.” Kyungsoo chuckled. 

“Maybe I don’t.” Baekhyun half smiled and raised one of his eyebrows. 

 

***~~~***

 

Baekhyun swings the doors of the school open and quickly makes his way to his locker while avoiding the looks he’s getting from everyone. Two days back and he’s already got a bruise on his cheek. He wonders if this high school is the place for him to constantly get beat up and shot. Once he’s finally at his locker, he turns the knob of the lock and unlocks it. He unloads the books from his bag and grabs his math textbook and notebook before closing it. And that’s where Jongdae pops out of nowhere with a surprised look on his face. 

 

He picks up his finger and then points to Baekhyun’s cheek. 

“Wh-what happened?” Baekhyun fakes a smile while shaking his head. 

“Don’t worry about it.” Jongdae is shocked with the response he gets. 

“Woah, don’t you tell me to not worry about it! Kris isn’t here anymore and I don’t see anyone bullying you anymore. Who did this to you?” At first Baekhyun’s thoughts drifted to what Jongdae initially said: Kris. He then immediately wondered what happened to Kris since no one told him at all while he was in the hospital. Baekhyun only assumes that Kris was put in jail for what he’s done to Baekhyun. Then he pondered whether or not he should tell Jongdae. Would it cause any tension between Chanyeol and Jongdae? Baekhyun then thought back to Kyungsoo’s words.

“The main cause is you.” 

 

He’s right… If I tell Jongdae, he will certainly confront Chanyeol and their friendship will be hurt because of me. I can’t do that.

 

“M-my friend and I were play fighting and he accidentally hit me with a… a…” Baekhyun looked around him for something he could make an excuse with, “a staircase.”

“A stair… case…?”

“Pole! A staircase pole….” Baekhyun chuckled nervously.

“Uh… okay…”

 

***~~~***

 

During the first class of the day, Baekhyun and a couple other students including Chanyeol were called down to the auditorium for a meeting with the principal. It seems that roughly 40 students were being called down as well from other classes. The whole morning, Baekhyun avoided Chanyeol and knew that he shouldn’t approach the giant unless absolutely necessary. 

 

Is this necessary? Should I ask him what we’re going down for? Maybe I should-

 

“Hey Baekhyun, want to walk any slower?” Baekhyun realized he was in front and walking slower than everyone else behind him. 

“S-sorry.” 

“Next time don’t lead the group.” Baekhyun nodded and then let everyone else passed. Chanyeol pushed the kid’s head, which caused him to turn around. 

“Leave him alone.” 

“Whatever.” Baekhyun unfortunately didn’t see or hear any of that since he was too caught up in being embarrassed. 

 

***~~~***

 

Once they finally arrived, they took seats near the main stage of the auditorium and there was already talks of what could possibly be going on. The room began quieting down when the principal stepped up to the stage and then held a microphone to his mouth. 

“You are all curious as to what you’ve been called down for, correct? Well as you may or may not know, you are the top 10% of your class and this is a reward for you all for working hard and earning your spot in the percentile.” There was cheering all around the room except for Chanyeol and Baekhyun. 

“Now, now. Let’s settle down. You are all awarded a skiing trip for five nights and four days!” The cheering was even louder than before and Chanyeol even cracked a smile. 

“There are 48 of you, so that means that each of you are paired up- NOW! Before you all start cheering, we have chosen your partners based on your academic standings and I have discussed with teachers who the best choice for you is. The list is up here on the screen for you all to see.” Baekhyun was praying with every single drop of faith he had that he wasn’t paired up with-

“Chanyeol…” 

 

 

Baekhyun’s shoulders fall.

 

Of course I’m paired with Baekhyun.


How coincidental right? I think the next chapter will have you guys flipping inside. I don’t know, maybe, but when I was planning it out, I was sure acting that way. Next chapter will be up today! ^.^