New Exchanged Students

First Love

I arrive at my maths classroom and peek through the window. None of the girls is in their seats. They were all crowded for some reason. As I walk into the classroom, a girl runs towards me and hugs me tightly.

 

“SUZY!!!” Jung Sunhwa yells as she gave me a tight teddy bear hug.

 

“Ah hi Sunhwa,” I replies.

 

“Sit next to me in class, there is a spare seat next to me!”Sunhwa orders.

 

I nod as she drags me to my seat. I notice that all the girls were crowded around the person on the table next to me.

 

Who was that person?

__________________________________________________________________________________

I didn’t care who the person was since I don’t like being involved in anything. I sat in my seat and unpack my pencil case and books.

 

Not once has he pulled an expression as the girls were fawning over him.

 

‘Oppa, I’m stuck on this question, can you help me?’ asked Song Seori in squeaky voice that could break a glass. Suddenly, he looked up and gave her a long and cold stare. Song Seori’s gang started squealing and nudging her. The gang was further known as the Korean Plastics from Mean Girls.

 

‘We’re around the same age so you can address me by my name, L. Wait a few years for me to become a teacher and I’ll help you then. That’s if you solve it by then, noona.’

 

The whole class dissolved into laughter. She suddenly turned into a pink shade and was stunned by his refreshing candour and straightforwardness. It was the first time I’ve ever seen her getting shut down like that. Usually boys would fall for her as soon as she flutters her pretty long eyelashes but L was the only one who wasn’t impressed by her. Maybe he was the only one who saw her through her ‘Miss Cutie Pie’ side as a flirtatious and attention seeking fool. Was she even the same person I met 11 years ago?

__________________________________________________________________________________

9 years ago

 

It was always just the three of us. Sunhwa, Seori and me, Suzy. Playing with dolls, drawing suns on the top left corner of the paper and imagining ourselves in the future. We have known each other for two years now but we were stuck to each other like glue. 

 

'When I grow up, I want to be a princess or world's top Pokemon trainer' Sunhwa giggled.

 

'Ya, thats too cliche being a princess and Pokemons don't exist!! I wanna be a top model, therefore all the guys would fall for me,' Seori replied in a bubbly voice.

 

'I want to meet my first love again.. and marry him' I whispered.

 

'Ewwwwwwww, thats too cheesy Suzy-a!' Sunhwa and Seori teased.

 

Coincidence much that Sunhwa, Seori and I all had names that started with a S. It made me wonder, were we meant to be together forever?

 

‘We are three peas in a pod,’ said Sunhwa.

 

‘Silly, its two peas in a pod,’ Seori exclaimed. I was always the dark and quiet one but they always included me. Could time just stop here? 

__________________________________________________________________________________

Present

I realised that I have been staring at my maths book all that time. I looked to my right and I hear Sunhwa blabbing about this new kpop group that she likes, BTS. In my opinion, I prefer 2AM as their songs are calming, but Sunhwa was the complete opposite of me and prefer 2PM. Sometimes I wonder how we even became friends. I looked to my left and see a bunch of girls surrounding L. How annoyed he must be right now.

 

‘GET TO YOUR SEATS NOW! So we have the two new exchange students, and one new student’ It was the voice of Miss Shin our maths teacher. I heard a sigh of relief from L as all the girls ran towards their seats.

 

The girls went onto fan girl mode like what is expected at Big Bang’s Concert as two boys enter the classroom. Were they even boys? Were my first impression of them. The didn't even have muscles like Kim Jong Kook...

 

I saw Sunhwa’s eyes looking up and down. I have caught her red handed. Sunhwa, my best friend has fallen head of heels for one of them.The tall, dark hair guy who has a bit more testosterone than the one standing next to him. Brown hair, piercing and pretty tall for a high schooler. He smiled a lot. He reminds me of the Geisha cat. 

 

‘DO YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND?’

‘WHAT’S YOUR NAME?’

‘CAN YOU SPEAK KOREAN?’

 

The first 3 questions from the girls in the seat in front of me. While everyone else was paying attention to the exchange students, I caught myself looking at L who is looking into space.

 

‘My name is Sehun. I am an exchange student from Canada and I will be your new classmate.’ Sehun, so this was the boy who my best friend was staring at. He had a rather short and brief introduction that didn't give much away about him. L and him would get along, I assumed.

 

‘My name is Luhan! HI EVERYBODY! I hope we will be very close classmates and make the best out of our high school years as a class. I am also Sehun's best friend. We came here from Canada, as he previously mentioned. I can speak Korean fluently. So about me… I am around the 170 mark and over for height. I’m 17. I like to eat ramen while watching dramas and play basketball because it makes me feel tall. I also enjoy watching Korean dramas. The current ones I’ve watched is Master’s Sun. I don’t have a favourite subject but I enjoy everything. I want to be a KPOP star in the future. I am into…..’

 

Does he ever get tired of talking? I wondered to myself. How did he and Sehun even become friends?

 

Sunhwa whispered to me. ‘The moment he started talking, the cool guy impression just wore off. He’s still cute.’

 

 ‘Okay, thank you Luhan and Sehun,’ Miss Shin said, "Lee Seulji please introduce yourself."

 

I stared at the teacher not knowing what to saw as all eyes were on me.

 

"I'm Lee Seulji and I got a scholarship into this school," I simply said in my seat.

 

"Thank you Seulji. I hope you all treat all of the 3 new students with respect as you do to others," Miss Shin said.

 

‘SIT HERE.’ I heard a million times from the girls. In the end Sehun sat next to the seat next to L and Luhan sat in the window seat next to Sehun.

 

‘Hi! What’s your name?’ Luhan asked.

 

‘Something you will never figure out.’ L replied. Cold as ever. The male version of the Snow Queen, I thought to myself. He seems interesting.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Authors' notes:

This chapter was written mostly by l0Lh3ndrix so a round of applause for her/him! So basically these are the seating orders for maths class if you're confused:

 

Front row: Other classmates

Second row: Other classmates                                                                    

Third row: Seori and her friends' row                                         Seori

Last row: Luhan                                Sehun                                L                                Suzy                                Sunhwa