Chapter 8

Mine

The next Thursday, Kyungsoo and his group of friends (with Jongin and Sehun now 'officially included as members' ever since Monday, as Minseok would like to put it) all grabbed quick sandwiches and drinks and snacks to eat as they settled themselves at the grass field of their school's park. It was an exceptionally warm day and the boys wanted to experience the wonder of nature, so they all decided to eat their lunch here instead of eating inside the cafeteria hall.

After their impromptu movie expeditions last Monday, Kyungsoo surprisingly didn't act awkward and shy around Jongin over the past 2 days that passed. He didn't feel awkward at all and just acted normally and casually, much to his own surprise. He thought he was gonna spend the entire week again remembering and flustering over their intimate interactions at the cinema until he can't literally face Jongin without a blushing face anymore.

But he surprisingly coped up with it very quickly as he didn't feel any uneasiness from the other's presence, and today was no exception as he happily settles himself on the warm field, letting the grass tickle his legs as he Indian sits in there with everyone while eating and enjoying his meal.

Chanyeol, who was busy burying his face in a bag of potato chips, suddenly faced the two new students' direction and asked something. "So which clubs are you two planning to join? I mean, you two have been thinking about it really seriously, right?"

"Yes," Jongin answered him after taking a bite from his double cheeseburger. He chewed and swallowed his food then continued. "But Sehun and I have conflicting ideas about it."

"Like what?" Baekhyun asked.

"Sehun wanted to join the swimming club, saying it'll be a good exercise for our bodies and stuff since we do dance lessons outside school," the darker-skinned guy blurted out with a snort. "But I personally wanted to be in the music club."

Kyungsoo choked and almost threw up the bubbletea he just sipped after hearing that from the other, coughing a little then clearing his throat rather loudly than normal. He then looked at the group again as the other continued talking, pretending as if he wasn't affected by Jongin saying something about joining the same club as he is in.

Baekhyun, on the other hand, was more than thrilled to hear that from Jongin as he suddenly clapped energetically. "Yeah, you two should totally join music club!" he exclaimed in a really excited manner, causing Chanyeol to snort a little under his breath.

"But I have zero singing skills," Sehun said flatly while drinking his second cup of bubbletea (the '10-day, 3 bubbleteas a day' deal with Jongin was definitely a serious matter for Sehun).

"You don't necessarily have to be good in singing to join, you know". Baekhyun defended as if convincing the other to actually join. "And you can play the piano really nicely, right? That should be enough qualifications to join!"

"But I really wanna be in swimming club," the blonde boy protested with a despondent sigh.

"D-Don't force them into joining our club, Baekhyunnie," Kyungsoo suddenly said from his side of the group. Jongin cringed and furrowed his eyebrows at the sudden nickname the doe-eyed boy was calling Baekhyun. "Let them choose whatever club they wanted to be in."

Baekhyun pouted heavily and slumped his shoulders, and Chanyeol pinched his cheeks to force a smile from the other.

Jongin doesn't really know how to interpret what Kyungsoo just said as he looks at the other with confused yet observing eyes. Was Kyungsoo implying that Jongin should continue joining the music club even without Sehun along, or does he mean that Baekhyun shouldn't pester him so much about convincing him to join? Does Kyungsoo want him to be in the same club as he is, or he doesn't? Jongin wasn't completely sure as he stares blankly on Kyungsoo's face.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, wasn't completely sure as well what he truly wanted to happen. It's not that he doesn't like having Jongin along in their club, but what troubles him is the fact that Jongin is Jongin; he knows the other would just pull out schemes and plans again to spend time with him if he will be on the same club as him. It's not that he really mind spending time with Jongin though, but club time is actually his mind's little escape from everything Jongin-related. If Jongin will be in the same club as him, that would also mean like giving the guy an instant access or something to his mind every time their club meets, and he's not sure if he can handle more Jongin-induced pressures more than he already has to endure.

Kyungsoo just shrugged as he tries to clear his messed up mind.

"Why don't you just join my soccer club?" Minseok said while munching on his own lunch. "I bet you two run fast and kick really strongly with those long legs and everything."

"I'm not really good with soccer," Sehun blurted out firmly. "I... I don't like to have bruises on my body if I ever fall or trip on the ground or something."

"So that's why you wanna be in swimming club?" Jongin suddenly asked his friend from his side. "Coz all you'll ever do there is glide in the waters and stuff so there's basically no way to get your skin a bruise or something?"

Sehun let out an awkward chuckle and nods while scratching the back of his head, not meeting anyone's gaze as they all looked at him.

"You're such a sissy," Jongin hissed with an eye roll, then suddenly faced Minseok and said "Oh but I actually can't join soccer too, Minseok."

"Why?" the other asked him with an innocent smile.

"Because..." Jongin started, then quickly thought of a good reason. He suddenly landed his eyes on Kyungsoo who was surprisingly staring at him, waiting for what he's gonna say next. He smiled wolfishly while still looking at the other when he said, "I just wanna join the music club so badly, I guess?"

Kyungsoo cringed.

 

-----

 

As they were all returning to the buildings after lunch break, Sehun suddenly grabbed Jongin's arm who was walking along with Jongdae, jerking the dark skinned guy away from the other. "I have to tell you something, Jongin-ah."

"What is it?" the other barked with a little glint of irritation in his face; he doesn't like being jerked in the arm while talking with somebody. "Jongdae and I were talking, can't you see?"

"I can see but..." Sehun the brat said, but felt quite embarrassed as Jongdae looked at him with surprised eyes.

"Oh, it's okay!" the troll suddenly said, interrupting whatever heated discussion is sparking up in the two boys. "You two have your talk. I'll catch up with Chanyeol and the others." he said as he quickly scurries his way to catch up to said person.

Jongin sighed in disbelief and faced Sehun. "What do you wanna talk about? I'm in no mood for your rantings, Sehun-ah." he said in a low, despondent voice. "I was asking Jongdae some stuffs about Kyungie and then you appeared and ruined everything!"

"You're so obvious!" Sehun exclaimed in an irritated tone. "Anyway, I'm not going to rant. I wanna ask you something."

"...Okay? What is it?"

"Are you really serious about joining music club?"

"...Is that it? Yes. Of course. Kyungie's there so I have to be there as well. I already told you that, right?"

"I know, but think about this..." Sehun said as he places an arm around Jongin's shoulder, leaning a bit closer to the other's ear. "You are trying to prove to that little boy that you're changing, right?"

"Well... Yeah..." Jongin replied in an equally low manner, surprised at the sudden seriousness in his friend's voice. "That's... what I am trying to do, because--"

"Right..." the other replied quickly, cutting off Jongin should he speak more words. "Now think about this; do you think Kyungsoo would appreciate it if he'll be stuck with you in music club? I mean, you two are already classmates, you already hang out with his circle of friends, you already sit with them during lunch breaks and after schools, and now you wanted to be in the same club as he is in? Do you think joining the same club would make him think that you were really changing? When it seems like all you ever do is chase after him around the whole school?"

Jongin just looked at his friend with a confused, troubled face.

Sehun continued. "No. He definitely won't believe you were changing. You know what he'll think about? He'll assume that you were just faking everything and just using that as an advantage to get super close to him."

"...You think so? Are you sure about that?"

"Yes. Trust me, I've been there before." the other replied back confidently. "You're trying to make him see that you're no longer possessive--however untrue that may be--yet you follow him everywhere and constantly make obvious schemes to be stuck with him. You're not giving him the impression that you're changing, you're actually being even more possessive than you were before."

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows; for the first time ever, he felt not that confident and felt doubtful to his own actions. "I... I think you have a point there."

"I do," Sehun replied rather loudly now, still having his arm around the other's shoulders. "So, you should not really join the music club. You should join swimming with me."

Jongin and Sehun are two evil fiends who surprisingly became friends. If Jongin uses brutes and bribes to force the other into doing a favor for him, Sehun uses convincing point of views and emotional blackmails to get the other for doing something for him. Jongin has always been the simple minded hothead, while Sehun's always been the witty brat, and their both using those characteristics to either annoy each other or force each other to do something for them. That's the kind of friendship they have.

And Sehun just used one of his tricks to convince Jongin to join him in swimming club. His plans, like Jongin's, were also flawless.

"I think you're right..." Jongin said while contemplating seriously. "I think I shouldn't pester Kyungie that much..."

"That's right!" the other replied in a giddy manner, removing his arm away from Jongin's shoulders. "Then it's settled! Let's join swimming club!"

 

-----

 

The remaining classes went by like a blur for Kyungsoo. He hardly pay attention to his teachers' discussions at all throughout the classes, too busy thinking and weighing stuffs about Jongin being in music club.

When their last period ended, Baekhyun was already waiting for him outside to go to their club. They have meetings every Wednesdays and Thursdays.

"Kyungsoo! Let's go!" he exclaimed while entangling his arm around the other's, causing Jongin to mutter something under his breath that only he heard himself.

The doe-eyed boy was surprised at the sudden arm wrapping around his own, then snapped from his trance and said, "Oh, we have club meet today. Right..."

"Are you okay, Soo?" Minseok said while looking at the boy with concern. "You've been zoning out since lunch break."

"I'm fine," he snorted, slightly irritated at the way almost all of his friends treat him like a little kid.

Jongin and Sehun got out of the classroom lastly. When they did, Baekhyun beamed at them and said, "So Jongin, you're joining us, right? Come on, let's go!"

"Uhh..." Jongin started but trailed off. He thought he already rehearsed nonstop how he would decline Baekhyun in front of Kyungsoo, but he still suddenly found himself unable to form proper sentences in his mind when those pair of adorable doe eyes looks at him intently. "I... I'm no longer joining music club, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo..."

The smile in Baekhyun's face was suddenly replaced by a despondent pout, followed by Kyungsoo's widened eyes.

"I can't leave dumb Sehun all alone in his swimming club, so I figured I should just gave in to his pestering and just join there with him."

Baekhyun flashed him a sweet smile and just said, "Well, okay, you two have fun in swimming club!"

"Sure!" Sehun exclaimed in a rather mocking tone, in Kyungsoo's opinion.

Baekhyun then waved their other friends goodbye as he drags Kyungsoo by the arms to go to their clubroom.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, wasn't completely sure why he suddenly felt a pang of pain strike his chest when Jongin said he can't leave Sehun alone in the other club. It's not that he was disappointed that the other isn't joining the same club as him anymore, honestly he was even a little glad and relieved. But why is he feeling suddenly down and weird when Jongin decided to stay with his friend in that other club?

Why is he disappointed that Jongin seemed to choose Sehun over him? Kyungsoo clenched his chest a little to stop the little throb his heart makes.

Jongin, on the other hand, felt mortified when he saw Kyungsoo's eyes widened then shifted into being down spirited. He can't believe he let Kyungsoo down (if that was the case, Jongin wasn't actually sure) when he said he'll be joining with his bratty friend instead. "I hate you, Sehun-ah."

Sehun laughed and patted his friend's back, saying "Don't worry, Kkamjong. A little space is good in any relationship."

"I think 9 years is enough space for me and Kyungie, you know." the other replied as they walk downstairs far behind their other classmates' back. "Kyungie seemed... sad."

Sehun chuckled a little. "Then that's good! That means he'll miss you!"

Jongin looked at him with renewed hope in his eyes, saying "...You think so?"

"Yeah. Trust me, I know exactly how to play this."

"How do you say so?"

"Well... Mr. Ulzzang Oh Sehun had a lot of girls and boys to practice with, remember?"

"Ew. Playboy Sehun-ah. Ew ew ew."

"Shut up." the other replied begrudgingly. "At least I had more experiences, unlike you who only had one girlfriend and--"

"Okay let's not bring that up now, shall we?" Jongin cut him off with a panicky tone. "I really hate you, you know that?"

Sehun laughed heartily, satisfied that he bummed his friend out again.

Jongin, on the other hand, sighed deeply and just hoped for the best to happen.
 




 

(NOTE: okay I know this is short but it was still fun! Right? Right?
Not much KaiSoo moments, I know, but can you see that little hint of jealousy sparking inside Kyungie? Well?
How about confident, badass Jongin being such a cutie as he worries about Kyungsoo's feelings?
OMG I'M SPAZZING OVER MY OWN STORY ASDFGHJKL.

and of course, update because HAPPY JONGIN DAY! YAY! *buys 5 kilos of confetti then throws everywhere*

So Sehun is our regular playboy here that helps out our confident but simple minded Jongin. SeKai friendship ftw!

Another long author's note ugh sorry. But keep the comments coming guys! It's really fun reading them all lol. Saranghajaaaa!)