Chapter 18

Mine

"Hey, Kyungsoo?" Baekhyun asked him in a worried manner while holding his music sheet in his hands. "Are you okay? You're zoning out again..."

Kyungsoo quickly snapped himself away from his trance to face the other with wide eyes. "Y-Yeah... I was just thinking about how to sing this certain part properly..." he said as an excuse to keep the other from asking more questions.

"Oh, alright!" Baekhyun beamed at him while grinning widely before resuming back to staring on his music sheet.

They are currently in the music club preparing for their paired performance for later. They composed a ballad song accompanied by the piano (which they called Miracles in December) to perform later in front of their other club members and in front of their club president, Yixing.

After talking with Jongin just hours ago during lunch break, Kyungsoo literally felt glad and relieved after discovering that Luhan and Hyun Woo are two different people, but there is still a lingering part inside him that unfortunately prevents him from feeling a hundred percent comfortable again.

He isn't feeling awkward or uncomfortable because he fears that Hyun Woo came back to take revenge to him and Jongin; what's actually troubling him is his own trauma caused by everything that happened between him and Jongin. He already knows that Luhan is an innocent and safe guy, Jongin has already confirmed it to him; yet he still can't feel that comfortable around the new transferee because he unfortunately remembers his childhood whenever he does.

He hates the fact that memories from his past flashes in his mind whenever he sees Luhan. He honestly wanted to feel nothing at all whenever he faces the other; no sadness, no paranoia, no traumatic memories. He wanted to completely forget his trauma to be free from it all, because he himself is literally being fed up by his own fears and over thinking mind.

And that's why he kept on zoning out again most of the time during the entirety of the day. He's been really distracted and disoriented lately that he isn't entirely sure if he can sing with all of his heart later when it is their turn to perform. But it's not like he's dying to be chosen by Yixing to perform on the school director's birthday celebration; honestly he would rather not be chosen at all. Kyungsoo may be confident when it comes to his singing skills, but he's extremely nervous to perform solo or in duet.

But Baekhyun was more than excited as ever to be chosen to perform, and the doe eyed boy unluckily has to favor his friend again.

Yixing suddenly stood up from his seat to gather everyone's attention. He then called out every single pair in his club to pick a small piece of paper from the bowl he was holding in his hands. The little pieces of paper all have a single digit on it that corresponds to the arrangement of the performances, and Kyungsoo isn't quite sure if he's happy to pick a number 4 from it or not.

"Oh. We're fourth." Baekhyun said before smiling giddily. "That's great! We get to perform early!"

"Y-Yeah..." the doe eyed boy replied a little doubtfully, nervousness starting to consume him completely and he unconsciously cracked his voice when he responded to Baekhyun.

The other noticed it and chuckled a little, then patted Kyungsoo's shoulder a little. "Hey! Don't be too nervous!"

Kyungsoo wanted to protest and say that he isn't just nervous because of the performance and that he has other things he is honestly being nervous about, but he just brushed it off and smiled instead.

"Okay. I'll try my best."

 

-----

 

The performance went by normally and casually for Kyungsoo, and he admitted to himself that he's disappointed about himself for feeling like not doing his best for their song. Baekhyun told him he did great though, but the doe eyed boy knows he can do better than that.

The next day, Kyungsoo was pretty much on another round of mind tortures as he awkwardly sits in lunch with Luhan in front of him, trying his best to distract himself from staring at the other's face too much. Jongdae was supposed to sit on his front but Luhan suddenly settled his tray on the spot opposite to Kyungsoo's as he flashes the boy with his charming and adorable smiles.

Kyungsoo honestly wanted to change seats with anyone so he won't have to endure eating exactly opposite to Luhan, but Jongin shot him an encouraging look from his seat and the shorter boy knows it's code for 'please stay there and fight your trauma' or something like that so he just sighed and looked down on his food.

Luhan picked his chopsticks after that and suddenly asked the other something. "So, uhmm... Kyungsoo, right?"

The doe eyed boy's eyes widened with that but quickly snapped himself away from his shock. "Y-Yeah..."

Luhan smiled at him in return, then asked something like "How come you don't talk so much like Jongdae and Chanyeol here?"

Kyungsoo opened his mouth in panic but no sound actually came out. Joonmyun was quick to save him from that awkward moment though and answered for him from his side. "Oh. Our Soo here is just really shy, Luhan..."

Jongin cringed and furrowed his eyebrows at that 'our Soo' the other said. It should be 'Jongin's Soo'. Ugh. He bitterly thought to himself.

"Oh. I see..." Luhan said with another smile before stuffing his mouth with food.

Kyungsoo sighed rather heavily with that and oriented himself a little.

"But I wish we can be close though," Luhan said all of a sudden again after swallowing his food. "I mean, you look like someone I can easily be close with to be honest."

Kyungsoo gulped hard. "Y-You think so?"

"Yup." Luhan said after letting out a small chuckle.

Kyungsoo cringed on his seat at the all too familiar sight of the other's face. It's really insane how he looks so much like his childhood friend that Kyungsoo's starting to doubt everything again.

Luhan continued. "So what are your interests, Kyungsoo?" he asked with knowing eyes the other almost felt a shiver travel down his spine.

"Uhmm..." Kyungsoo started, doing his best to sound as casual and normal as he can. He then forced himself a smile as both Jongin and Joonmyun looked at him with encouraging look in their eyes. "I like reading novels and drinking teas..."

"You do?!" Luhan exclaimed in a really excited and surprised manner, eyes having a certain twinkle to it that makes him even look more childish. "I love drinking teas too!"

Kyungsoo's forced smile quickly betrayed him and his facial expression turned into something of confusion and worry after that, unfortunately remembering something from his childhood that he really should stop recalling.

"I love tea times ever since I was little," Luhan said while smiling knowingly to the other. Kyungsoo's lips almost trembled with that, and all of the tragic memories crashing in him makes him so uncomfortable he knows he has to quickly get away or else he might break down and cry in front of everyone.

Luhan continued on though, seemingly oblivious at the doe eyed boy's internal dilemmas. "I had this childhood friend back in China that really likes teas as well and we ended up really close as kids because of it and--"

But even before he can finish his sentence, Kyungsoo quickly stood up with eyes teary and hands slightly trembling. The shorter boy then turned around, furiously wiped his tearing eyes, and hastily walked himself away from their table.

"Kyungsoo!" Jongin yelled before standing up to leave and follow his Kyungie behind, but Joonmyun stood up as well to stop him.

"Just... Let's just let him be for the time being, Jongin..." Joonmyun whispered to the other's ears lowly. "Maybe he needs time alone..."

Luhan was utterly worried with that though and almost stood up as well. "I... Oh no, did I say something that offended him?" he asked while looking at Jongdae with intense worry in his eyes. "I... I didn't mean to--"

"No, you didn't say anything bad, trust me." Minseok cut him off a little bitterly. He then quickly averted his gaze after to look at the two standing boys behind him. "But I think you two need to explain something to us here."

Joonmyun wanted to act innocent and protest with it, but when he saw the look of worry and confusion in everyone's faces, he seemingly lost his voice and just gulped hard instead.

Jongin looked down to the ground with that, too affected and worried about the sudden happenings to actually say anything. He just sighed in frustration and stood motionless beside an equally blank and frustrated Joonmyun.

The look on their friends' faces quickly turned into some sort of irritation though, and Minseok suddenly stood up as well to look at the two directly in the eyes. "That's it." he plainly said under his breath, voice sounding resentful and quite sad. "If you guys can't even talk to us about what the hell is going on with Kyungsoo, then I'm leaving. I'm just brushing it off but I know and I am noticing that there's something wrong with the three of you lately ever since Monday, but since you guys can't even let us in on your little secrets then maybe I should just stop worrying about you at all."

Joonmyun bit his lip hard with that and furrowed his eyebrows with guilt. Jongin continued to remain silent and just fixed his eyes on the floor.

Minseok sent them one last resentful glare before snorting and leaving the table as well. Everyone looked even gloomier with that.

Luhan, on the other hand, was on the verge of tears as he slowly stood up as well and bowed respectfully to everyone. "I'm sorry. I feel like this is all my fault. Maybe I should just--"

"No, Luhan. It's no one's fault... I..." Jongin tried to defend but Luhan just shook his head with that though.

"I'm really sorry... I-I guess I'll get going too..." he said before wiping the slight tears forming in the sides of his eyes and scurrying to walk himself away from the table as well.

Jongin sighed with that and met his friends gazes who were all looking blankly to him. Chanyeol even crossed his arms in front of him and quirked an eyebrow to Jongin and Joonmyun as if waiting for an explanation.

"I... I think we deserve to know what's going on with Kyungsoo..." Baekhyun suddenly said in a low and sad voice. "Even during club meet yesterday he seemed really disoriented. I wanna help him out..."

Chanyeol sighed with that and Sehun just fixed his eyes on the table in front of him. He remained silent and motionless ever since the commotion began.

Now it is Jongin's turn to bit his lower lip with guilt. He knows every single thing that is happening right now is his fault, and he honestly never felt more guilty than ever before.

Joonmyun just sighed with that and looked at Jongin questioningly, as if trying to ask the other about what they should do. Jongin just sighed and averted his face back to Baekhyun and said, "Alright. But lemme talk with Joonmyun privately about it first. And to Kyungsoo too, probably..."

Chanyeol wasn't exactly satisfied with that answer and he opened his mouth to protest, but Baekhyun was quick to pick up the heating atmosphere and spoke even before the giant could. "It's okay. You two probably have to talk with Kyungsoo about it too."

"And I'm just gonna go talk with Luhan..." Jongdae said without his usual cheery and energetic voice. "I think the poor guy was culture shocked or something. I have to clear things with him."

"Okay..." Jongin said in a low voice. Jongdae then stood up to leave and follow Luhan wherever the Chinese boy went to.

"I guess I have to go talk with Minseok then..." Joonmyun said while looking to Jongin. He then patted the taller guy's shoulder before leaving.

"Right..." Jongin replied a little awkwardly at the sudden kind gesture coming from Joonmyun. He then just brushed it off and forced a smile before the other left.

They have a lot of explaining to do, Jongin thought.

 

-----

 

But explanations to their group unfortunately have to wait until tomorrow when they all discovered that Kyungsoo actually went to the parking lot after their little commotion in the cafeteria to ride their limousine and go home early. They texted and called him for a thousand times after that but Kyungsoo ignored all of their phone calls and messages.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, didn't care about skipping classes and stuff for probably the first time (except that time he skipped classes when Jongin was in the clinic) due to everything that happened. The doe eyed boy may have overreacted and everything, but Kyungsoo's mind is just currently one big mess due to the bad memories constantly returning to him whenever he interacts with Luhan.

He acted like that because Luhan mentioned something about tea times and his passion about it ever since he was little. His current friends don't know the reason why he loves tea so much, but the actual reason behind it was because of his childhood friend Hyun Woo. He was influenced by his old friend to drink tea one time with him and he just instantly liked it. Ever since that day, Hyun Woo had been a regular visitor to the Do's old estate to hang out with Kyungsoo and Joonmyun and Jongin.

But when he and Hyun Woo were starting to become very close, it somehow alarmed Jongin (who were his best friend back then) and did unpleasant things to the boy and to other boys Kyungsoo hangs out with, claiming Kyungsoo to be his and only his, threatening everyone that no one should come near Kyungsoo again ever.

Jongin's harsh, possessive actions all started with Hyun Woo, and when the boy approached him one time while silently crying and saying that he'll return to the provinces because of Jongin's actions was when the young Kyungsoo literally lost it and decided to leave his old school and everyone behind.

Hyun Woo wasn't just a normal childhood friend to Kyungsoo; he was the one who taught the guy the beauty of tea times and he's basically the first reason why Jongin acted like how he did when they were little.

And Kyungsoo just can't completely get over it yet, he thought as their limousine take him back to their mansion with his driver and butler looking awkward and worried.

He remained quiet and just let his tears fall silently.

 

-----

 

"I think everyone deserves to know the truth..." Joonmyun said while crossing his arms in front of him.

"Will Kyungsoo be okay with it, though?" Jongin asked in a rather depressed voice; he's been very gloomy and sad after their classes resumed and Kyungsoo was nowhere to be found around school.

Their classes just ended and their other friend's decided to go home early to give the two of them time to talk and plan things out. Minseok seemed to calm down as well but is still feeling a bit sad and angry about everything. Joonmyun apologized to him and promised to talk with Kyungsoo about disclosing the issue to everyone.

"Kyungsoo would probably say that it's a personal issue and all, but I honestly thinks it's no longer that personal anymore when the whole group is obviously being affected by it already." Joonmyun explained as calmly as he could. "Everyone's really worried. They deserve to know everything since they've all been very good friends to Kyungsoo ever since."

"Alright." Jongin said before sighing despondently. "Let's just try to convince Kyungsoo later if he disagrees about our decision."

"Okay," Joonmyun replied, then quickly shot the other a knowing look that put Jongin a little off guard. "And I think Kyungsoo deserves to know the truth about your actions when we were little, too."

Jongin widened his eyes with that and almost waved his hands in front of him. "...Are you sure?"

Joonmyun suddenly furrowed his eyebrows in annoyance with that and spoke in a louder voice than before. "Can't you see how he's suffering right now?! Can't you see how hard this is all for him right now?!"

"I know that!" Jongin blurted out in an equally irritated tone. "I know that more than you do, Joonmyun! I just... I just don't want to hurt him by telling the truth and you know that and--"

"But things are different now, Jongin..." the other replied in a low manner, all irritation and anger being washed away by sadness. "Kyungsoo... He's a lot tougher now than before. He deserves to know the truth now. It might be the key to finally make him freed from all of his traumas."

Jongin was silent after that, looking at the other with intense eyes as if summing up if Joonmyun's serious or not. "...I can't believe this is all coming from you." he said before awkwardly letting out a bitter chuckle.

"I know..." Joonmyun replied while smiling bitterly as well. "I mean, I just kinda feel like a jerk for keeping things from Kyungsoo all those years that we've been together. He hated you almost all his life, and I did too, to be honest. I still think what you did before was extremely wrong, and I hate you for giving Kyungsoo such a deep trauma. But I just feel guilty as well for keeping the truth from him. It feels like I'm making him hate you more all those years, and I didn't mean it but..  yeah..." he trailed off after running out of words to say.

Jongin was shocked with that sudden revelation though, then quickly laughed a little and said, "Okay okay. Apology accepted."

"Wha-?! Hey, I'm not apologizing to you--"

"Look, the decision to keep the truth from Kyungsoo both came from us anyway so don't blame yourself." Jongin said while smiling a little, actually feeling good that he and Joonmyun finally got the chance to talk and clear things between them as well. "And thanks for being beside Kyungsoo all those years as well. I owe you a lot."

Joonmyun laughed with that as well then brought out a hand to the other as if implying a handshake. "Yeah. Whatever.  Now can we stop this drama and just focus on Kyungsoo instead?"

"Sure." Jongin replied while smiling as he grabs the other's hand to shake it. "Friends?"

"Absolutely." Joonmyun said while flashing the other a genuine smile.

"But hey, you better stay away from Kyungsoo by the way." Jongin playfully said after pulling out from the handshake.

"Okay okay, whatever." Joonmyun said while chuckling a little, then cleared his throat to speak seriously again. "So we really should put an end to this mess and open everything to everyone. And tell Kyungsoo the truth behind your actions as well so you can redeem yourself a little or something."

"Yeah," Jongin replied while smiling a little. "It's about time, I guess."

"Definitely."

 




 

(NOTE: OMG PLS DON'T KILL ME FOR ENDING IT HERE I KNO IT'S LIKE A HUGE CLIFF HANG BUT DON'T WORRY I WON'T KEEP IT LONG ANYMORE

and yes i kno it's another dramatic update but hey don't we all love little dramas every once in a while? (or it's probably just me wtf)

so we FINALLY got to the part where the truth behind kaisoo past will be revealed. OMG ARE YOU ALL AS EXCITED AS ME.

trust me tho, you will ALL LOVE JONGIN AFTER YOU DISCOVER HIS REASON.

i kno everything is really kinda confusing for all you readers out there and im sorry for that OTL but don't worry, next chapter will all be your favorite coz i get to finally explain everything.

btw did i tell you how much i love every single reader of this story? well now i'm telling you guys I LOVE YOU ALL YES LET'S ALL SARANGHAJA.)