Chapter 17

Mine

(okay so I realized it's just silly of me to use Xiao as Luhan's surname so I changed it to Xi instead. some readers commented that Lu was actually his last name while some said it's Xi, but since the plain 'LuHan' would sound quite weird too coz it's only 2 syllables, I decided to just use Xi instead. thx for those who commented about it on the last chapter btw! now let's go with the story.)

 

 

Kyungsoo froze at that sweet smile Luhan flashed him, too overwhelmed by his confusion and shock to actually respond or move or even think of anything.

Both Jongin and Joonmyun were quick to snap from their dumbfounded state though and did their best to casually greet the other as well, smiling and bowing slightly at the process.

Luhan just continued to smile and bow sheepishly to all of them like an innocent kid. Jongin furrowed his eyebrows as if summing up the other's every single action.

"It's nice to meet you all!" the baby face exclaimed in fluent Korean, but there's something weird and unnatural in his accent that Joonmyun and Jongin noticed. There's a slight but still existent roughness to the way he utter Korean words that obviously makes him a foreigner.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, is still too shock to speak to notice or comprehend anything. He just continued to have his eyes widened while trying his best to remain calm and collected.

"Hey, Soo!" Baekhyun called out to him while standing beside the Chinese transferee. "Aren't you gonna greet him?"

Kyungsoo successfully got a hold of himself with that and cleared his throat nervously. "I-I... I'm Kyungsoo. Nice to meet you."

Luhan quirked an eyebrow at him innocently, then smiled and said, "Likewise!"

"Okay!" Jongdae suddenly half-yelled to the group while bringing his hand up in the air. "Since it's Monday and no one has club activities, we should all totally hang out together!"

Everyone exclaimed a shouting "Yeah!" with that except the 3 uncomfortable boys who remained silent and awkward.

"I-I think I'll pass for today, guys..." Kyungsoo said with his voice cracking a little. Both Jongin and Joonmyun stared at him worryingly. "I... I'm not really feeling good right now..."

"Why?" Minseok suddenly said (after staring at Luhan's face for such a long time ever since the guy was introduced to them) with a concerned look in his face. "Are you sick?"

"No. Not exactly..." the doe eyed boy defended while slightly fidgeting under Luhan's innocent gaze. "I just want to rest."

"Okay," Joonmyun suddenly said from his side. He then suddenly grabbed Kyungsoo's arms and said, "I'll accompany you to the parking lot. Let's go."

And the next thing Kyungsoo knew, he was being dragged gently by Joonmyun away from their bunch of friends to head straight outside of the building.

And for probably the first time ever, Jongin didn't disapprove of what Joonmyun did. He actually kinda felt like thanking the other for letting Kyungsoo escape that tight spot they were facing, although of course he would still prefer it if it's him who would actually do that instead of Joonmyun.

The two boys then hastily walked to reach the outsides of the building as quickly as they can. They were scurrying through a hall with a flurry of students walking and passing hastily like them when Joonmyun suddenly said something. "I think he's not Hyun Woo..."

Kyungsoo was a little startled with that then sighed to himself. When they reach the main building and started walking to go past the main entrance, Kyungsoo replied with a little "I don't know..." that earned him a little sympathetic pat on the shoulder from the other.

"Don't get too affected by it." Joonmyun comforted him. "Everything will be fine."

"What if he's back to take revenge? What if he's still mad at me or Jongin and he suddenly appeared to pay us back?"

"Look, you're just over thinking again..." Joonmyun said in a calm and collected voice. "You were being like this as well when Jongin came along, but everything turned out alright anyway, right? The two of you even got close again, right? You're just over thinking Kyungsoo..."

The doe eyed boy was utterly shocked at Joonmyun's words after, feeling baffled and surprised at the other's sudden change of heart. Around almost 2 months ago Joonmyun would never say anything like this, but now he's trying to comfort Kyungsoo by using Jongin as a good example. Kyungsoo's totally feeling awkward about it but he admitted it feels really nice as well to have his present best friend accept Jongin as well.

"I... I'll try to calm myself down..." Kyungsoo said in such a low manner it almost sounded like a whisper.

Joonmyun heard it though and flashed him a smile. "Yeah. Everything will be fine. Trust me."

"Okay..." Kyungsoo replied in a half-hearted manner.

 

-----

 

Kyungsoo should have tried harder at calming himself down though. He should have known that being friends with Jongdae would mean being with the new transferee as well all day long.

Yesterday wasn't exactly nice for Kyungsoo after being paranoid and shocked about the new transferee's arrival. He wasn't able to hang out with his group after that because of intense worry and it seems like he still has to endure more of it for today.

While it is true that he aren't classmates with Luhan anyway so he basically wouldn't have to endure the same experiences he had with Jongin months ago, there's still lunch breaks and after classes that he has to face. He knows he has to brace himself for seeing Luhan more.

But it's not like the Chinese boy was purposely scaring him or creeping him out like how Jongin did before. The guy was even really nice and polite, Kyungsoo thought. But of course it wouldn't be that easy for him to feel comfortable around the guy yet, especially when he knows Luhan looks so much like his past childhood close friend.

Besides, it's not like he already confirmed that Luhan and Hyun Woo are two different persons. He still has to be cautious, he reminded himself.

When lunchtime came, everyone settled themselves on a larger table than their usual and started firing questions to the charmingly baby faced boy that Jongdae kinda forced into sitting with them.

"So where exactly in China do you live before?"

"Have you been to Korea before?"

"What's your family's main business?

"Are bubbleteas in China more delicious than here?"

"Are you really sure you're not a girl?"

"Do you have interest in soccer?"

Everyone asked him with excited and expectant faces Luhan actually felt a little sheepish with it and actually wondered which question should he answer first as he laughs awkwardly.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, can't help himself but stare at the other's face all through out the entire time. He admits that there are certain points in Luhan that makes him convinced that the guy really isn't Hyun Woo, but there are little hints as well that points him to being his past, childhood friend.

Whenever Luhan would speak, his words were definitely not as smooth and natural as everyone around else is and that's practically one sign that he's really Chinese, but the way he smiles and laughs makes his face contort into a very familiar face that Kyungsoo feels worried about.

But when he heard Luhan saying something about his transferee in Korea being his first time to visit the country as well, Kyungsoo unconsciously let out a relieved sigh even though there is a chance that the other's just lying and faking it.

(And when Luhan said he's been in his last school's soccer club and that he's planning to join soccer club again in Shinjae, Minseok can't stop smiling like a little kid after.)

 

-----

 

"Hey, let's all go to the nearby coffee shop around the corner!" Baekhyun almost shouted as their group walks their way out of the main buildings after class. "Luhan's coming too, right?"

"Oh. Sure," the baby faced boy said while smiling giddily. "I'd love to."

Kyungsoo felt his stomach twist a little with that and he shot Joonmyun a worried look. The other quickly figured out his troubles of course and slowly made his way to walk beside the doe eyed boy. "Will you be okay to go with Luhan along?"

"I'm not sure..." Kyungsoo said in a low whisper. "I just... feel weird with him around. I remember things that I shouldn't. It's really frustrating..."

"It's okay." Joonmyun replied comfortingly. "Would you want me to stay behind and accompany you instead?"

"No, it's okay, I'll just go home early today as well..." Kyungsoo said with a hint of despondency in his voice. He didn't really like going home early and not being able to hang out with his friends after classes but he can't really help it when bad memories creep inside his mind whenever he sees the new transferee's face.

Joonmyun looked at him with concerned eyes, then slowly smiled sweetly and said, "Okay..."

Jongin and Sehun have swimming club activities since it's Tuesday so the two of them aren't with the group as well. Jongin almost felt guilty for leaving Kyungsoo's side even while knowing that the other isn't in a very good condition, but he just convinced himself that Joonmyun's there for Kyungsoo anyway and he kinda trusts the guy now when it comes to friendship matters so he didn't feel exactly bad at all.

But it's not like Jongin was completely letting all things to be fixed by Joonmyun like always. He knows he has to do something for Kyungsoo as well, especially since he is quite well aware of the fact that it was his fault why things are being hard for Kyungsoo anyway.

So he made plans to help the boy out and ckear things with him.

"Oh..." Kyungsoo suddenly said after feeling something vibrate inside of his pockets. He then quickly grabbed his phone inside to check it.

Kyungsoo. I have to tell you something tomorrow. Meet me tomorrow on our lunch time. Rooftop. Please come, you have to know something.

Kyungsoo squinted his eyes on the screen to read it properly and felt a little nervous at the sudden seriousness in Jongin's message. He figured it must be something serious and thought he should really meet the guy tomorrow to listen to him. He then typed a quick reply to send to the other.

Okay.

 

-----

 

Kyungsoo isn't really sure if he's excuse of going to the restroom will be enough to cover up his meeting with Jongin on the rooftop the day after. It's finally their lunch break and Kyungsoo couldn't think of anything else at all for the whole day aside from their little private talk later.

He didn't know what Jongin told the group to escape for the time being though but the bronze skinned guy is already on the rooftop, waiting for him to come.

Luckily for him, his friends didn't ask much questions about him skipping lunch for a while and stuff. Kyungsoo is seriously starting to feel guilty for keeping things a secret to his friends and he knows he has to disclose everything to them as soon as possible. He then decided to himself to open everything to their group when he can finally forgive and accept Jongin completely.

After excusing himself, Kyungsoo started to hurry up the stairs as fast as he can to talk with Jongin. With each footstep he takes, he feels his heartbeat race a little faster and he can't help but feel familiar to it all; him running up the stairs to meet Jongin discreetly. It all feels too familiar, only this time it isn't Jongin who was his problem.

He reached the top of the building in record time and as expected, Jongin was already standing beside the edges of the building while letting the wind brush against his hair and his face. The taller guy then turned around to face Kyungsoo after hearing the door open, then flashed the other a smile that isn't as giddy and genuine as his usual smiles. Kyungsoo felt a little sad about it as well.

"Kyungsoo..." the other started while approaching the other. "How're you?"

"Confused and worried, like always..." the doe eyed boy said while letting out a bitter chuckle.

Jongin shot him a concerned look with that, then continued with his words. "Luhan is not Hyun Woo..."

"Joonmyun says that as well, and I honestly want to believe him. But we can't really be sure, I mean it's not like--"

"I am sure..." Jongin cut the other off firmly. "I made a background check about him and I researched a lot."

Kyungsoo shot him a confused look while having his eyebrows furrowed, while Jongin quickly brought out two pictures from his pockets after that.

"This one here..." he said while showing one picture of a totally unfamiliar boy about their same age. "...is Hyun Woo. I made a research and found out that he and his family is currently staying in Suwon. I know he looks way way different than how he did when we were little but believe me, this is Hyun Woo now..."

Kyungsoo's eyes widened even more with that (if that's even possible) and suddenly grabbed the picture in his hands. "Are you sure?" he asked in such a shocked tone.

"Yes..." Jongin said before bringing out another photo. "And this is how Luhan looked like when he was a kid."

Kyungsoo squinted his eyes at the new photo and confirmed to himself that the picture is definitely not Hyun Woo. The picture of the young Luhan still does look like the present Luhan, but the similarity with his childhood friend Hyun Woo is definitely not existent in the picture.

Jongin continued on. "Luhan's father owns an entertainment company of some sort in China, and he basically models in their as well; doing advertisements in TVs and magazines. It's his first time in Korea too, so it's really impossible that he's Hyun Woo."

"Wow..." Kyungsoo said while suddenly feeling glad and relieved.

"I know..." Jongin said after smiling genuinely this time. He then suddenly closed the distance between him and the other as he envelop the doe eyed boy in a sudden tight hug.

"J-Jongin?!" Kyungsoo asked in bewilderment at the sudden intimate act.

"I just wanna say sorry, Kyungie... This is all my fault..." Jongin said while burying his face on the shorter boy's shoulder. "I just hope I can help you out more on moving on from our childhood..."

Kyungsoo remained silent with that and just hugged the other in return, feeling the atmosphere too serene and precious to actually break with words.

"When Luhan suddenly appeared, I got so scared..." Jongin confessed while still hugging the other tightly. "I'm scared that the bad memories return to you again and ruin whatever progress in moving on you are having..."

"I have to admit that it did, though..." Kyungsoo admitted while having his face buried in the other's chest, voice a little muffled because of the lack of space between them. "I constantly feel depressed and scared and all whenever I see him and remember my past, but I can handle it somehow. Especially now that I know he isn't Hyun Woo at all so there's nothing to be worried about..."

"Alright..." Jongin replied while smiling a little, feeling glad and happy and optimistic again.

Kyungsoo didn't reply with that though and just closed his eyes as he hugs the other tightly, hoping with all his heart for time to heal him completely and start living a life free from worry and fear.

And from his trauma 9 years ago.





 

(NOTE: i feel like i didn't give this chapter justice at all but whatever. yay update!
so yeah. can u feel the kaisoo love finally starting to become official? keke. just a little more wait guys! hohoho I'm so excited to write the later chapters.
i literally give too much spoilers don't i asdfghjkl.
and as usual, pls leave comments guys! keke.)