Chapter 4

Mine

Step 1: To win Kyungie back, stop being too possessive. I mean c'mon Jongin stop creeping the guy out. Seriously.

Step 2: Be close to his circle of friends. And don't harm them, unless they do something bad to Kyungie.

Step 3: Prove to Kyungie that you can change for him. Prove to him that you are worthy. Stop proving to him that he only needs you, coz Jongin you know he already doesn't.

Step 4: When everything's fine and normal, confess and make Kyungie officially yours!

Step 5: Kiss Kyungie and live happily ever after! (Not quite sure about wedding yet but yeah, Kyungie~)

 

 

 

Jongin stared at his expensive cell phone's screen, the notes he elaborated ever-so-carefully (stupidly) last night flashes there in front of him, making him smile and fidget a little.

It was Tuesday, Jongin's second day at Shinjae and Kyungsoo's second day of having Jongin as his classmate. The darker-skinned guy can't feel any happier, waiting patiently inside their elegant limousine car as it takes him to his new school.

He can't be sure about the other, though. While he may be here grinning and looking forward for a day full of Kyungie, the other might be sulking and cursing all throughout his ride to school.

Jongin knows he has to do something about that.

He made this stupid note in his phone to serve as a constant reminder for him that he already made it this far to be with Kyungsoo again, and he has to make things right between them. He shouldn't waste this opportunity. It'll take a lot of time, as he knows the pain he caused to the other won't die as fast as how he wants it to. But it shouldn't be too hard, either; Jongin is really confident in everything he does. And he somehow eventually gets whatever he wants.

That includes Kyungsoo, in Jongin's honest opinion. He'll win the boy back. He's sure of it.

 

-----

 

Kyungsoo can't feel any weirder when he saw Jongin entering the room with Sehun, laughing and goofing off with the guy as they sat side by side; Sehun sitting on his desk and Jongin sitting on Minseok's since the latter isn't around yet. They talked and laughed and had fun as if they don't give a care about all the people around them, as if they are currently transported in a world of their own.

After the intense Jongin-induced heart-palpitating events he faced yesterday, he seriously wanted to just sleep all day and never go to school again this morning, until his mom literally barged into his room to force him to go to school (which, apparently, is the first time to happen since Kyungsoo is a diligent student).

It made him feel even weirder when classes start and he actually feels comfortable and cool. Kyungsoo isn't sure if it's just him or what, but he can no longer feel the intense glares from his back. He can no longer tremble and shiver because he knows that Jongin isn't staring at him anymore, but is more like staring at the black board in the front to focus on the class.

And he is absolutely feeling weirder when he quietly talked to Joonmyun on his side to purposely annoy the other. He averted his eyes ever-so-discreetly and hastily to steal a quick glance to his back, trying to see how Jongin will react.

The guy didn't even bother to look at them whispering at each other, because he was either busy copying something on his notebook or busy exchanging mischievous glances to Sehun and silently laughing to himself.

Kyungsoo didn't really expect things to be like this after their talk yesterday, but he assured himself it's better than being under intense observation by the other all day. He's not sure whether Jongin's just acting it out, or whether he was really trying to change, or whether he maybe just lost interest in Kyungsoo, but whatever the reason is, the doe-eyed boy concluded that this is better than yesterday. He can go on with the remainder of the whole day without worrying about Jongin at all; as if the guy didn't exist at all.

Jongin, on the other hand, continuously recites his 'Step 1' in his mind like some sort of a mantra. He kept himself from staring, from stealing quick glances, and from feeling jealous whenever Kyungsoo whispers something to Joonmyun or Minseok. It was hard; way way harder than all the things he ever did in his life. But he is determined on doing this.

If this is what Kyungsoo wants, then this is what Kyungsoo gets, he thought to himself.

One thing about Jongin is that he is a pursuer; once he set his mind on a certain goal, God knows he'll rather die achieving it than giving up. Once he concluded that he wants to achieve something, nothing can literally stop him from obtaining it. And Kyungsoo is currently the best prize he assured to himself, and he will not stop until he gets what he wants.

 

-----

 

The remainder of the day went by surprisingly normal for Kyungsoo. Jongin and Sehun hurrying to go out of the room as quickly as everyone, and Joonmyun and Minseok dragging him along the halls to hang out with their other friends until it's finally time to go home.

Wednesday came and Kyungsoo even felt more relaxed than yesterday, as if the person behind him doesn't feel like Jongin at all because he hardly pays attention to Kyungsoo.

Jongdae sat at them during lunchtime that day with Sehun and Jongin, and the doe-eyed boy surprisingly found himself actually enjoying his time with his friends while totally ignoring the two new transferees existence; he's ignoring Jongin because, well, he is Jongin and he's ignoring Sehun because he doesn't find the guy too friendly. He ate his lunch normally and talked casually to Baekhyun or Chanyeol or even to Jongdae who sits just beside Jongin, all weird feelings of terror and worry not appearing in his mind.

At first he was totally scared and terrified to see Jongin having fun with his friends, afraid that the other was faking everything out to fool his friends then eventually harm them to keep Kyungsoo all for himself. But he remembers Jongin's promise, and he saw something genuine in Jongin's eyes that he suddenly felt not that uncomfortable anymore. He knows he shouldn't trust too much, but it wouldn't hurt to give the guy a benefit of the doubt too. Plus he promised himself to protect his friends from Jongin when things happen anyway, so he kinda just pushed all of his doubts aside and just live normally.

Joonmyun, on the other hand, can't feel quite at ease. He just can't casually accept the fact that Jongin's acting quite suspiciously, as if he's trying to do or prove something, and Joonmyun just can't quite put his finger on it but he knows something is off. He refrained from talking about it with Kyungsoo though, who seems to be cool and alright with the current set-up. Joonmyun thought that maybe he was just over-thinking.

Thursday came and still no weird and sneaky activities from Jongin. Kyungsoo was starting to stop feeling too conscious about everything-Jongin and just continue his life normally and casually.

The two new transferees even hang out with them after classes and he still felt no attention from Jongin; no dirty smirks, no intense glances, and no teasing talks. He just sat there with all of his friends, talking and laughing and getting to know all of them casually like how a normal transferee would do. Kyungsoo almost felt happy.

But then when Friday kicked in and Jongdae suddenly said that he and Jongin won't be able to hang out with them after classes because they have to check on their image stylists for the proper suits to wear for tomorrow evening's banquet party, was when Kyungsoo felt troubled again. He almost forgot about the party because everything seemed nice and normal and great, and he definitely forgot to think of a good plan to escape out of that party where he'll pretty much be trapped with Jongin all night without his friends.

When he got home that day, his parents wasn't exactly thrilled to hear from him that he won't make it to the party tomorrow evening because he has other plans. His father bombarded him with his usual "social ties" and "relationships between two families" rantings that Kyungsoo just gave up and just accepted the fact that he'll have to attend that party without his friends, but with Jongin instead. Besides, Jongdae is still gonna be there, so he convinced himself to stop worrying that much.

 

-----

 

The banquet party, as Kyungsoo expected, was stressfully loaded with bunch of socialites and high class families that knows nothing other than business and wines and tobaccos and golfs and villas and tours and whatever boring and monotonous topics like that.

You must be thinking that Kyungsoo must've gotten used to it already since his world pretty much revolves around it ever since he was little, but apparently that wasn't the case. Even until now he still can't enjoy himself over such occasions (except when there are tea times involved, of course), and he would always hide away or go somewhere less packed with people.

But the dinner was exquisite, though, and Kyungsoo had to admit that he enjoyed his time enjoying the feast in front of him, not worrying about anything-Jongin as he never once saw the boy yet ever since the party started. The whole mansion (or palace, since it was almost two times bigger than Kyungsoo's own mansion) was one big maze and he used that to his advantage to hide away from Jongin should the other started looking for him.

And then the host of the party (Jongdae's dad) suddenly announced that tea time after dinner is set right outside their mansion, located at their grand and enormous garden where almost hundreds of tables are set, with teacups and different types of teas and coffees and pastries served for the guests.

Kyungsoo can't hide his smile as he and his parents settle themselves on a table just under a big, cherry blossom tree, enjoying himself over a slice of mille-feuille and a piece of chocolate eclair plus a cup of Assam tea. Everything was turning out well, in Kyungsoo's surprise.

But 30 minutes into his fantasy world of pastries and teas did something weird inside his system and he suddenly felt the urge to go relieve his bladder to a restroom, so he quickly left their table and got himself back to the main mansion to look for the restroom.

Unfortunately, all restrooms on the first floor were taken by other people, and Kyungsoo can't hold in the urge to relieve himself so he quickly ran upstairs to look for more restrooms.

When he stumbled upon a quiet and narrow corridor on the 2nd floor, he was delighted to see a single and hidden restroom at the end of the narrow hall. The restroom must not be for guests, but Kyungsoo can't care about that anymore. Drinking almost 6 cups of tea nonstop does to his body.

So he entered the room, quickly relieved his system, and finished his business in record time. He doesn't want the masters of the house seeing him using one of their private restrooms so he did all of his things quickly.

When he was about to leave the narrow hall, however, a sudden hand grabbed his arm from his left side and he was suddenly dragged into a dark room without knowing who was dragging him all along.

"Wha?! H-Hey let go of--" he started to yell but then trailed off when he saw the guy who dragged him into this room. "J-J-Jongin?!"

"Shh." Jongin shushed him while smiling like a little kid. "Don't yell. They'll hear us."

The room was dark and it was suddenly cold, but the illuminating moonlight that invades the room through the glass windows nearby was enough for the sharp curves of Jongin's face cast little shadows to soft areas of his cheeks and lips and forehead. Kyungsoo gulped at the sudden breath taking sight in front of him.

"What are you doing?!" He asked in a panicked tone.

"Hey, don't be scared!" Jongin replied back, holding Kyungsoo by the shoulders to stop the other from trembling. "I just wanted to talk. And I thought you don't like parties like these at all, so..."

"Yeah, but it doesn't mean that I wanted to see you, either." Kyungsoo barked back, pushing the other's hands away from his cold and trembling shoulders. "And we already talked last Monday, Jongin. I have nothing else to say to you anymore."

"But I do," Jongin said, voice sounding like he's begging or something. "Please, just... hear me out? Please?"

Kyungsoo looked at him with stern eyes, then sighed and said, "Fine."

"Okay," Jongin started, placing his hands on the other's shoulders again. "Kyungie, aren't you noticing something different from me?"

Kyungsoo cringed at the nickname. "...No? I'm not noticing anything."

"Wha-?! Seriously?!" Jongin said in a surprised tone then sighed dramatically. "You mean... you didn't notice that I am trying to change?"

Okay, Kyungsoo lied. He noticed; he most certainly did. That was the only thing that occupied his mind for the past days ever since they had that rooftop talk, but he'll never admit it to Jongin. He hates lying, but he hates admitting the truth as well if he knows it'll boost Jongin's confidence. If he said yes, then Jongin would automatically assume that he was paying attention to him (which was, of course, actually true) and Kyungsoo wouldn't want that, so he settled with lying his way out. "No. I didn't notice anything."

Jongin grunted and sighed deeply. He removed his hands from Kyungsoo's shoulders and settled them instead on the other's arms, gripping on them strongly but not strong enough to hurt or scare the other. "Kyungsoo..." he started off, "I don't care if you will believe me or not, but I'll say it anyway. I'm trying to change, because I'm trying my best to win you back. I know what I did before was terrible and unforgivable, but Kyungsoo..." Jongin shifted, his face getting slightly closer to Kyungsoo's, "I truly wish you can give me another chance... to be your friend..."

The doe-eyed boy stood motionless and dumbfounded. Hearing something like that makes him lose his voice and he suddenly can't speak to voice his thoughts out, or maybe he just doesn't have any thoughts to voice out at all.

Jongin took advantage of the silence and continued with his well-rehearsed speech (he practiced everyday since Tuesday) to the other. "And I don't know if you really did not notice it or what, but I'm trying to be close to those people that you're close with. Not because I wanna hurt them, not because I want them to trust me then do something bad against them when they least expect it, but because I just wanna be close to you again." he admitted, feeling his own cheeks fluster a bit. "I'm determined to win you back, Kyungie..."

"So you're using my friends? Is that what you're trying to tell me?"

"No!" Jongin panicked, all calm and collected face washed away by worry and surprise. "I didn't... I wasn't... Okay, I admit that's what I am planning to do at first," he admitted sheepishly, blushing so intense now it's impossible for Kyungsoo to not notice it. "But as the days pass by, I found myself actually enjoying their company too. I mean, I know I only wanted to use them to get closer to you, but now I just... I don't know... I just like hanging out with them now," he tried to explain, then added something quickly like "b-but of course i-it's still you whom I really wanted to be close with, that didn't change..."

Silence then engulfed them two as they both stared at each other's eyes blankly, tiptoeing on the fragile situation as if it'll break if one of them uttered the wrong words. Then Kyungsoo pushed Jongin away (who was seriously getting too close) and said, "I... I don't know if I can trust you yet..."

"I understand," Jongin said, shifting his posture to look cool and dashing again. "I didn't expect you to trust me that quickly anyway. I'll give you time."

Kyungsoo looked down on the ground as he tries to unify his seemingly scattered thoughts. He's intensely confused now; way way more confused than ever.

Jongin realized the other's hesitations, and quickly said "I wanna start a brand new friendship with you, Kyungie. I know it's selfish of me to ask that of you after doing something terrible, but please give me a chance to make up for it? Please?" Jongin said with pleading eyes.

"I... I'll think about it..."

Jongin grinned from ear to ear then suddenly grabbed the other's narrow shoulders to envelop him in a tight hug, saying "Thank you! Thank you so much!"

Kyungsoo was surprised at the sudden hug, but the warmth it provided him was something that Kyungsoo didn't necessarily dislikes. He suddenly found himself torn again between hating and forgiving, between loathing and liking, between past and present.

"But that doesn't mean that I'm no longer allowed to get jealous," Jongin teased the other, brash and playful personality back again. "I still get jealous way too much, but don't worry; I'm in the process of taming myself down."

Kyungsoo didn't move as the other envelop him in a tight, warm embrace, and he didn't push the other, either. He's too dumbfounded to move or do or say anything. He's too confused, he's too stunned, he's too overwhelmed, he's too...torn.

And warm.

 




 

(NOTE: okay I am mad at myself.
I shouldn't be updating this story yet but I found myself writing an update the moment I woke up!
I CAN'T STOP AND CONTROL MYSELF FROM UPDATING THIS STORY ASDFGHJKL.
SOMEONE SHOULD MAKE ME STOP UPDATING!
I WROTE THIS CHAPTER FOR, LIKE, 2 AND A HALF HOURS UGH WHY AM I SO EXCITED.
Hell, I even wrote and typed chapter 3 while I'm in my class. I'm ruining my life OTL
Idk, I just realized I kinda made the first 3 chaps too heavy and intense and I suddenly had the urge to make a few lighthearted chaps for a change. I mean, this is a fluff, after all. I shouldn't make it too intense so yay!
Jongin is changing for the better! Hurray! I think I made him too creepy over the past chaps. Sorry Jongin! Lol.

And trust me guys, you WILL love Jongin's character after you find out the reason behind his possessiveness kekeke. I can't wait to reveal it!
Oops. I shouldn't be saying that.

Anyway, thx to those who subbed, upvoted, and commented! I know it's not much but I'm still grateful! Keep 'em coming!
Long author's note ugh. Saranghaja!)