Chapter 6

Mine

Kyungsoo may have felt something of a shiver travel down his spine when he saw Jongin with them in the mall, but he definitely won't let it get to him too much.

The group of 8 boys started walking through the mall, talking and laughing about stuffs that happened at school earlier. Kyungsoo surprisingly found himself joining in on the energetic conversations, laughing lightly while listening to his friends' stories. Sometimes or more often than not, he would react and share his own stories and they would all laugh and chuckle without really caring much about the glares they get from other busy people at the mall. Kyungsoo was actually surprised and glad that he can still be his usual self when he's with his friends even with the two new transferees along.

Jongin looks at Kyungsoo through the corner of his field of vision, and while it's true that he feels even more jealous and envious to see Kyungsoo having fun with other people, he has to admit that he's also happy that Kyungsoo isn't exactly looking timid and awkward anymore when he's around. Perhaps still a little shy, but at least he's no longer scared of Jongin.

This is a good start, he thought to himself.

It's true that Jongin somehow likes it whenever he paints a hue of pink tinge in the other's cheeks when he smirk at him in a y way or stare at him intensely, but it is also true that Jongin finds the shorter boy cutest when he looks happy and relaxed. Kyungsoo may look cute and adorable whenever he looks so bashful and uncertain, but he is at his cutest whenever he flashes that natural heart-shaped smile that Jongin loved ever since they were little.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, ignored Jongin's presence (and whole existence, to be honest) as much as he could to avoid being shy and awkward. He managed to get through the entire days at school last week without worrying about him so much whenever he hangs out with them, so why should he worry himself now? He can just pretend that Jongin and Sehun aren't with them at all (which isn't really that hard to do, considering that the two boys are always with Jongdae anyway).

They reached the shop where Chanyeol wants to buy his guitar, entering the enormous store one by one. Everyone managed to let out an amazed gasp at the extravagant display of expensive musical instruments, and this is when something of a realization hit Kyungsoo again.

In the world of the prestigious and the high class, it's like an unspoken rule that every single daughter and son from a socialite family knows how to play and perform with at least one musical instrument. Preferably the piano, or the violin, or whatever kind of musical instrument that sounds elegant enough for banquet parties or formal business dinners. But Kyungsoo, who joined their school's music club for the sole reason that he's quite good in singing, doesn't know how to play any kind of musical instrument at all. He tried his best to learn, but he just came to a conclusion that 'Kyungsoo' and 'musical instruments' aren't really going to click no matter how much he wanted to.

And he all of a sudden felt awkward again as his friends all gape their mouths in awe as they look at their preferred musical instruments; Baekhyun, Joonmyun, and Sehun all approached a very nice-looking piano made of fine wood and clear glass that makes the insides of the piano visible to the eyes; Chanyeol and Minseok looking very excited and hyped as the two of them scans the set of displayed acoustic and electric guitars; and Jongin and Jongdae going to the violins and violas just by the side of the entrance to check the instruments out.

Before Kyungsoo knew it, he was standing awkwardly at the entrance of the store alone, looking at his friends one by one and being torn between deciding whether to mingle with one of them or just go out of the shop and wait for them to finish their business. He settled with the latter option.

He sighed deeply as he got himself out of the shop, looking at other stores outside to humor himself with. Kyungsoo hates the feeling of insecurity; the feeling that he's different from other people for not knowing and liking something that other people around his age and status usually know and like, so he'd rather just stay outside than deal with his over-thinking mind.

He didn't expect someone to accompany him outside, though. And he also wasn't exactly thrilled to know that it was Jongin, because he knows he will start fidgeting and being shy all over again.

"Hey," the other called out to him from his side.

Kyungsoo ignored him, focusing on averting his gaze here and there and everywhere but Jongin. Unfortunately, he still haven't gotten over their intimate contact last Saturday and he still feels extremely awkward for it.

"Hey, Kyungsoo," Jongin repeated while pouting a little. "Are you not having fun?"

The shorter boy was glad to realize that Jongin called him by his name already and not by that silly nickname the other was used to calling him. In the end, he gave up playing Mr. Arrogant and talked to Jongin. "I'm having fun. I just... You know I'm never good with musical instruments."

Whoa, Jongin gasped in his mind. I didn't expect Kyungie to talk casually like this to me already...

"Ah, yeah, I know that..." Jongin calmly replied, also averting his gaze away from the other to look at the shop behind him. "So you still can't play any instruments, huh?"

"Yes..." Kyungsoo surprisingly replied. He has no plans to start a conversation with this guy, but wow he actually find himself engaged in a casual talk with him already. "I never learned how to play any."

"I can teach you," Jongin said with a sheepish smile, looking at Kyungsoo straight in the eyes. "I'm pretty good with violin, and I know a little about piano."

"No thanks," Kyungsoo firmly replied, fighting off a blush from springing up. That smile surprisingly does weird and tingling sensations in his stomach that he knows he is not allowed to feel.

Jongin chuckled lightly and patted the top of Kyungsoo's head, then said, "Remember when we were little and you tried to play the violin and--oops," the other cut himself off while quickly placing his hand over his mouth, eyes widening as if he just said something he shouldn't say.

Kyungsoo just looked at him with a confused face.

"I... I didn't mean to bring up anything that'll remind you of your childhood... I'm sorry, Kyungsoo..." he finally said while awkwardly rubbing the back of his hand.

Kyungsoo felt like he's mind just melted and dripped out of his ears. He can't believe what he just heard and witnessed; Jongin acting awkward and bashful and apologetic and timid? All because he thought Kyungsoo might get mad for bringing up something about their childhood?

Kyungsoo was shocked, and it was a different kind of shock than last Monday. It almost felt... good.

"I-It's okay," Kyungsoo suddenly said, feeling even more awkward than Jongin. "Uhmm I-I guess I have to go inside again to check on everyone or something," he added while stuttering uncontrollably.

"Sure," Jongin said as he let the other leave him outside to get back into the store.

One of Jongin's plans in getting Kyungsoo back is to get close with him again and help him move on with his past. He wants the two of them to be friends again from scratch, leaving everything bad that happened between them behind their backs and move on to start getting past all of it. That's why he felt extremely uncomfortable when he accidentally brought up something about their childhood, because he wanted to start a new and fresh kind of friendship with Kyungsoo.

Looks like it won't be that easy, he thought as he scratched the back of his head again then sighed.

 

-----

 

After buying Chanyeol's guitars (he bought one acoustic and one electric guitar), the group settled themselves in a 5-star French restaurant for dinner. Kyungsoo was sitting in between Baekhyun and Minseok, while Joonmyun sat in front of him.

"So what else should we do after dinner?" Chanyeol asked the group as he patiently waits for there orders.

"Let's go shopping!"

"No, bowling!"

"Shopping!"

"I actually need to buy new clothes and--"

"Arcades! Let's go to the arcades!"

"Let's eat ice cream!"

"Uhmm, can we drink tea instead? I--"

"Arcades!" Arcades!"

"No! We'll go shopping!"

"Let's go check music bars first, there's this new album that--"

"I said shopping!"

The group broke out into a screaming mess, all wanting to overpower each other's voices to push their own thoughts about what to do next. Kyungsoo found himself laughing hard with everyone when Jongdae almost fall off his seat as he continuously barks "Shopping! Shopping!" at the top of his lungs. Finally, Minseok was mature enough to stop the group's endless clamors (though he's pretty much shouting "Arcades!" himself just a while ago) and stopped everyone from talking loud altogether.

"Guys, keep it down! They're gonna kick us out of here!" Minseok hissed in the middle of the table.

But Chanyeol laughed boisterously at Minseok instead, then teasingly said "No, Minnie. I will kick them out of our mall if they kick us out!" and everyone broke out into a fit of laughter again like a bunch of retards.

Kyungsoo, on the other hand, was pretty much engrossed on Jongin's laughter, then quickly shook his head frantically to snap himself out of his trance. The other looks so genuinely happy for Kyungsoo; he looks like he was truly enjoying himself, like he was really serious about everything he said and promised to the shorter boy during the party.

When they all calmed down from laughing, they looked at each other's faces questioningly, as if waiting for someone to finalize what they're gonna do next. And then everyone's eyes (with the exception of Joonmyun and Kyungsoo, of course) landed on Jongin and Sehun, who haven't voiced out their thoughts and suggestions yet.

The two boys both raised their eyebrows in confusion, then said, "What?" in perfect unison.

"You two decide what we should do after," Chanyeol said with a rather commanding tone, smiling at them in a rather creepy way. Jongin doesn't necessarily likes being commanded but he just brushed it off, convincing himself that the giant's just playing around. "Since you two were the ones who didn't suggest anything a while ago."

Jongin furrowed his eyebrows and started thinking of what should they really do after dinner, and then a thought crossed his mind and he snapped in to an "Aha!" and Kyungsoo suddenly felt worried again all of a sudden.

It's just a thought that suddenly crossed his mind, but it's still worth a shot for Jongin.

"You know what? I think we should watch a movie..." Jongin said with a childish smile, hoping with all his heart that the group will agree to his suggestion (plan).

The group fell silent after that, thinking if the suggestion was good enough for them. And then Chanyeol broke off the silence by saying, "Hmm. I think that's not a very bad idea," while nodding his head in acknowledgement. "We can still catch the last showings."

"And since I'm the one who suggested it, I figured I should treat everyone their tickets," Jongin continued, smile slowly turning into a smirk as he pushes with his impromptu plan, "I mean, as my way of showing gratitude to everyone for letting Sehun and me hang out with the group."

"I'll treat the snacks and drinks," Sehun suddenly said, as if supporting whatever plan Jongin was having in his mind.

"Aww Jonginnie, why so sweet?!" Jongdae cooed as he nudges an elbow to his cousin. Jongin let out an embarrassed chuckle.

Everyone seemed to like the idea that the two new transferees proposed as they all nod their heads in agreement. Kyungsoo honestly didn't have anything against going to the theaters, except of course when the movie is--

"Let's watch a horror movie!" Baekhyun exclaimed to the group. "There's this super scary movie that I really wanna watch!"

"Oh yeah, that's right!" Chanyeol quickly added as if he suddenly remembered something, "Baekhyun and I have been planning to watch that movie ever since it got out! Let's watch it!"

Jongin did his best to fight off an evil grin from forming in his thick lips. The two boys just saved him the trouble of suggesting a horror movie. He then made a mental note to himself to thank these two boys in the future.

Kyungsoo panicked in his mind. He was never good with horror movies; he hates them, and his friends know about that. But the two seems to be really looking forward to that movie, and Kyungsoo can't bring himself to say he disapproves when everyone was literally nodding their heads and almost clapping their hands in excitement.

"But guys, Kyungsoo is..." Joonmyun suddenly said to the group then trailed off to think of a good way to finish his sentence. "He's..."

"No, i-it's okay," Kyungsoo suddenly said, cheeks a little red for being embarrassed. "I can watch that. No need to worry about me."

It's true that the doe-eyed boy hates horror movies, but it is also true that he hates being that killjoy that everyone has to look after to. Besides, he still has an ego to protect; he won't let Jongin notice how much of a coward he is when it comes to scary movies.

"Are you sure, Soo?" Minseok asked the boy with a concerned look in his face, and Jongin cringed at his seat over the fact that Minseok's always acting like a concerned and caring 'hyung' to his Kyungie. He's starting to get really jealous of Minseok, but then he just shrugged it off as he recited his 'step 1' in his mind continuously.

"Yes..." Kyungsoo assured him halfheartedly, trying his best to hide his hesitations.

"Alright, then it's settled!" Jongdae almost yelled again to the group.

Kyungsoo stared blankly at the table in front of him as he laments about how terribly unfortunate his life is turning out to be and how oblivious Jongdae has always been. He knows he has to brace himself for more of these, especially when his friends are all as oblivious and simple-minded as Jongdae.

Jongin, on the other hand, smiled to himself like an idiot as he nudges an elbow to his stoic friend beside him. "Hey, I need you to do something for me, Sehun-ah," he whispered very quietly.

"What is it?" the other replied in an equally quiet manner.

"I'll tell you later," he whispered back as he fought off a chuckle from coming out. Sehun just looked at him incredulously.

Time to escalate things between us, my Kyungie~ Jongin cooed in his mind.

 

 

 

(NOTE: Okay please don't kill me for ending it here! I promise the theater scene will be on the next chapter! Lol.
Jongin's planning something! What could it be? OMG I'm excited to write the next chapter haaaah *spazzes*
And what the heck I just realized I split this entire day into 3 chapters again. The first Monday where Jongin and Sehun arrived was cut into 3 chaps, and then this one's chopped into 3 parts again!
We're already in chapter 6 and it's just been a whole week in the story! Oh my god. I need to write with more progressing days.
oh and before I forgot, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EXO'S UMMA, DO KYUNGSOO!!!!! HURRAY!!! *throws confetti everywhere*
Saranghajaaaa~)