Chapter 1

Mine

"I'm sorry Kyungsoo, but I can't hang out with you anymore. I'm sorry."

"Kyungsoo! S-Stay away f-from me! Stay away!"

"Kyungsoo, I can't be friends with you anymore. Jongin will beat me up if I keep on seeing you, so don't come near me again."

"Jongin threatened to hurt me if I stayed being friends with you. I'm sorry but don't go see me again, please..."

"J-Jongin is... Jongin is scary I-I have to go Kyungsoo, bye!"

"If you become close to Kyungsoo, someone will beat you up very bad. So don't even get close to him!"

"Oh look Kyungsoo's approaching us! Let's hide somewhere!"

"Don't be friends with Kyungsoo! You'll be in danger!"

"Kyungsoo? W-Why are you here?! G-Go away! We don't want t-trouble!"

"Kyungsoo! Look at what Jongin did to me! Don't... Don't you ever dare go near me again!"

"K-Kyungsoo... My father lost his job because Jongin told his father to fire him... Now we have no choice but to go back to the provinces and drop out of school... And it's all because of you... I... I hate you..."

 

 

Kyungsoo snapped his eyes wide open and wakes up to the loud ringing of his alarm clock, distracting him and pulling him away from the terrible voices in his dream. He was panting and he was sweaty; his heart beat racing so fast it almost feels painful to breathe. When he realized that he was now awake and everything was just a dream, he suddenly grabbed his cell phone and turned the alarm off then sighed deeply.

He looked at the pure white ceiling above his enormous and elegant room, staring at it blankly as he deeply inhales and exhales air into his lungs. He knows it was all just a dream, yet he still can't get a hold of himself as he trembles slightly under his covers.

He then quickly wiped his sweaty forehead and placed his hand on his chest, as if trying to calm his heart rate down.

Why... Why am I having that dream again... he thought as he closes his eyes again and places his forearm over his shut eyes, covering the sudden sunlight invading his eyes.

Kyungsoo didn't have that same dream for almost a year already, and he thought he was finally completely over it. But apparently that wasn't the case. He dreamt about that dream for almost a million times already, yet he still can't orient himself properly when he finally woke up from the nightmare.

He then pushed himself into a sitting position above his bed, yawning and stretching his limbs out. He quickly grabbed his phone to check on the time. It was 7:04am.

I probably have to start preparing, he told himself as he yanked his blankets away from him to stand up and start preparing himself for school.

 

-----

 

"Kyungsoo, we have a banquet party to attend to this coming Saturday night," his father said as he fixes his neck tie. His mother, seeing that his father was having quite a hard time wearing the tie, suddenly stood up to help his husband.

"Okay," Kyungsoo politely said as he takes a sip of his Earl Grey tea from his favorite breakfast teacup. The boy has a natural and almost surreal love for teas and teacups that he prefers drinking some of them instead of having brewed coffee in the morning. "Which family is holding the party this time?"

"The Kims, my baby," Mrs. Do said with a sweet smile after tightening the knot properly in her husband's necktie. "We bought a new suit for you. It's in your room."

"The Kims?" Kyungsoo asked, almost on impulse. "You mean... Kim Joonmyun's family?"

"Oh no, darling," his mother replied, "Kims as in Kim Jongdae's family. I believe you are also friends with him at school, right?"

Kyungsoo settled his teacup on the table after he took a sip on it, then hummed a little and said "Ah, yes. We're... pretty close, I guess?"

His mother gave him another sweet smile as a reply, but his dad just snorted a little and sighed.

Being high up in society is equivalent to endless parties and banquets and business dinners and stuffs with other upper class families. The talks are always about strengthening ties and relationship between families and constituents and other money-related matters. Kyungsoo isn't really a fan of such boring, monotonous events but it's not that he hates them, either. He's totally fine with attending such parties if people will just let him be and not talk to him. He'd rather be treated as if he doesn't exist rather than socializing with unknown, wealthy people.

But of course, Kim Jongdae isn't really an unknown person to him. He is one of the few guys that Kyungsoo felt comfortable being friends with, but apparently his father is a bit disappointed when he implied that he's just a little close with him.

"I actually have to go," his father suddenly said, pecking his wife's lips as a goodbye bid. He approached Kyungsoo and suddenly ruffled his son's hair into a mess, saying "Don't be late for school! You'll have more tea times later when you get back!"

Kyungsoo yanked his father's hand away quickly and pouted adorably, fixing his messed up hair. His father just groaned and said "Soo, we need you to socialize more with our family constituents and make solid bonds and--"

"Yah!" his mother almost shouted. "It's too early for this things! Leave the poor boy alone!"

Kyungsoo gave his mother a shy, sad smile after seeing his father groan. Feeling the intensity of the awkwardness in the atmosphere, he slowly stands up from his seat and said "I-I have to go too, mom."

And as if on impulse, his father suddenly placed his arms around his son's shoulders, saying "Soo, do you want me to take you to school?"

"No, It's okay, dad." Kyungsoo quickly replied. While he admits that it would be nice to be taken to school by his own father, he would also admit that he doesn't like listening to his rantings at such an early time of the day. He can just settle with their family driver instead. "You might be late for work."

His father paused for a little while, as if thinking of other ways to talk to his son more privately and definitely away from Mrs. Do. In the end, he seemed to give up the idea and said "Okay, take care."

"I will." he replied with a plain smile as he grabs his bag and stuffs, quickly sipping the last ounces of tea from his elegant cup.

It's not that Kyungsoo doesn't like helping their family business grow even larger by making ties with other influential families. He actually likes their business; he grew up all his life surrounded by all these things. He just really hate socializing. He hates pretending to be interested in a topic when he certainly doesn't like it. He hates impressing people whom he believes talk something behind his back anyway. He hates getting too close and dependent to people. He hates too much attachments.

And he hates how his personality changed like this.

 

-----

 

Shinjae Academy is a 20-minute ride from the Do family's estate, so Kyungsoo didn't really arrive late when their sleek, black family car swerves to the front of the school's entrance hall. Their family butler hurriedly opened the car door for him with a warm smile in his gentle but old face.

"Thanks," Kyungsoo said lowly after getting off the luxurious car. The butler bowed deeply to him and quickly returned to his place beside the driver's seat.

Kyungsoo straightened his uniform a bit then started walking towards the entrance.

And as he was swiping his student identification card on a machine near the glass doors of the entrance, a voice suddenly beamed from his back. "Kyungsoo-yah!"

He quickly turned around to see who was calling his name rather loudly, and wasn't really surprised to see Chanyeol hurrying to go to the entrance too, almost tripping even on flat surfaces as he ravages the insides of his bag to look for his ID card.

"Whew. I thought I'm gonna be late for school." the other said after finally finding his damn ID card and swiping it too.

Kyungsoo looked up at him (the guy's a freaking giant, and Kyungsoo is... well... say, a little lacking in height) and beamed his cute, heart-shaped smile towards the other. "Good morning, Chanyeol."

"Yeah yeah, morning too, Mr. Absolute Politeness." Chanyeol teased a little while nudging an elbow to his friend.

"Yah, don't call me with stupid names..." Kyungsoo said with a little pink tinge on his cheeks. He doesn't really feel comfortable with silly nicknames just yet.

"Whatever," Chanyeol said almost automatically.

They were walking towards a vast hallway of classrooms when the giant suddenly asked something. "Hey, by the way, are the rumors true?"

"What rumors?"

"That there's gonna be two new transferees in your class? Baekhyun told me one time when Joonmyun told him one time and Jongdae also told me one time and that one time was when--"

"Ah yes Chanyeol, that's true," Kyungsoo cut him off quickly because he knows the other probably won't stop talking once he started to have the chance. He's just that talkative and hyper. "The new transferees arrive today, apparently."

"But it's been a week already since the first day of classes for this semester, right?" Chanyeol added. "Why didn't they arrive a week ago? They missed the boring entrance ceremony. It's unfair."

"Well, I don't know... But yeah, they're pretty lucky to be able to skip that ceremony." Kyungsoo replied back with a grin.

Chanyeol looked like he was about to say something more when Kyungsoo suddenly stopped in front of a classroom and said "Ah, here's my class room already." he said while looking at the other. "See you later, Channie."

"Oh, alright. Yeah, laters." the other replied then started walking fast again to arrive to his own room without getting late.

Kyungsoo entered the classroom and quickly walked towards his desk. He was sitting in between Minseok and Joonmyun on the third row, his two friends from this class. The two spotted him quickly and flashed him warm smiles and greetings.

"Morning, Soo!" Joonmyun and Minseok beamed at him in perfect unison.

Kyungsoo chuckled a little. "Good morning too, Joonmyun and Minseok," he said as he places his bag above his desk and settling himself on his chair. "Joonmyun, why is everyone so... loud?"

"It's probably because of the two new transferees. They can't stop gossiping about it." Joonmyun said with a little irritation in his voice. "It's so stupid."

"Hey, but I heard that one of the transferees is Jongdae's cousin," Minseok said, then quickly added something like "b-but it's not like I'm gossiping too, of course."

"Cousin? Jongdae has a cousin?" Kyungsoo replied while taking out his textbook and pen.

"Of course he does. Who doesn't have a cousin, anyway?" Minseok said quite sarcastically.

Kyungsoo bit his lip a bit and cringed a little; it was a pretty dumb question he just asked, to be honest.

"Hey, watch your words." Joonmyun quickly said after noticing Kyungsoo's discomfort.

"Okay okay, bodyguard." Minseok teased a little then stuck out his tongue.

But even before Joonmyun can reply a tease of his own, the room suddenly grew quiet and everyone returned to their respectful seats when their homeroom teacher suddenly comes in.

"Good morning class." Mr. Choi said in front of the room, standing just behind his classroom platform. "So I'm sure you all know that we have two new students joining us here."

There was a collection of agreeing hums and nodding heads. Everyone seems to be so drawn about this whole transferee thing that Kyungsoo wondered why is it such a big deal. And then he remembered that he is in a school full of heirs and heiresses and rich bastards and a new transferee is equivalent to a possibility of either gaining a new possible friend, or a new possible business rival. The high society world is such a scary, overly competitive place.

"The two of you can come in now." Mr. Choi said while looking through the open door beside him.

The first boy who entered is a tall, cold-looking guy with blonde hair and sharp jawline. His eyes are half-lidded and his whole facial features look so serious and unchanging. Kyungsoo had an impression that he is not a friendly person.

The second boy who entered is a dark haired, tough looking guy who is as tall as the first boy who entered. He has a slightly tanned skin and his lips are full, almost as plump as Kyungsoo's. He faced the whole class while standing side by side with the first boy, eyeing each and everyone with intense feel in his eyes.

And then, Kyungsoo's heart fell down to his stomach. He knows this guy. He knows who he is, and there is definitely no way that he'll forget him.

Joonmyun looked equally shocked as Kyungsoo, eyes widening like platters and mouth slightly agape.

The dark-skinned guy continuously scans the room as if looking for someone; for one specific person inside the room. And then his eyes fell on that adorably cute boy with a pair of eyes as large as an owl's as the other stared at him in such a surprised manner. He pulled his lips into a smirk while looking straight at Kyungsoo's eyes.

The shorter boy suddenly felt sick and he quickly looked down to his desk. His trauma, his nightmares, his trust problems, everything terrible that happened to him was caused by this guy. He thought he was finally free from his grasp, free from his possessiveness when he left his old school and never saw him again. But now he's here, right in front of him, smirking sickly at him.

"My name is Kim Jongin. It's nice to meet you all."

Kyungsoo felt a shiver run down his spine when he heard that voice. He didn't even bother to look at the guy anymore; his eyes are glued to his desk as his mind shuts down on it's own. He's shocked, he's confused, he's...scared.

And now he knew the reason why he had that dream last night.



 

(NOTE: Ooooh first chapter. Somehow I really didn't like how this first chap turned out.
It even took me one whole day to actually write this and yet it didn't turn out how I want it to be. What's up with me.
Anyway I still hope you guys like it! Leave some comments, people! I would love to hear from all of you. Saranghaja!)