Chapter 17: Luhan's Past

White Secrets

Luhan’s POV 13 years ago:

“Next!” The guard shoved the little boy into a room that led to another testing center. “Who’s next!?” the man shouted out of patience.

“I-It’s me sir…” I timidly whispered coming out of the shadow.

“State your name and any clues of what power you may have” he ordered in a deep strict voice.

“I-I’m Luhan… Both my parents live on the light side of the planet… I think I have a luminous power too...” I squeaked.

“Enter through the second door on the right. The doctor there will tell you what to do.”

“When a child turns 5 years old, they must go through these tests to figure out what power they have. Since you’re five now we need to take you. After they distinguish if you have a luminous power or shadow power, you are sent to either the light side of the planet or the dark side.” my father explained.

“I’m positive that since your father and I are both luminous, you will have a light power too. You have nothing to worry about!” my mother  would always say.

As I slowly opened the door, I crossed my fingers hoping my mother was right.

They wouldn’t separate me from my parents, would they? I can’t live without them. How would I survive? What would happen to me if I get separated?  

Many questions and doubts crossed my mind before a flashing gleam of light interrupted my thoughts.  When I opened my eyes, everything in the room was white, not a spot of dark.  It emitted a warm, fuzzy feeling. I blinked blankly, making note of the surrounding I was in.

“Welcome” a pleasant, soft voice greeted.  I looked straight and found a young lady smiling at me.  The lady wore a white lab coat and had long, silky, blonde hair.  Her sleeves were neatly folded up to her elbows.

“You must be Luhan!” the female voice spoke, “Please have a seat.” I timidly pulled out the chair and sat on it. “Do you know why you are here today?”

“Yes… I think I do…” I replied, “to discover what power I have”

“That is correct” she nodded while looking down and shuffling through a pile of papers, “It says right here that your mother has the power of water and your father has the power of flight” she tapped the file with her pen as if it were a natural habit of hers. I nodded. “Well that’s good!... no need to worry then! If both parents have a ‘good’ power, you are most likely to have it as well.”

“Really?” I smiled. “So I can stay with my parents?” I hopefully yet softly questioned.

“Yes… you have a 98% chance” she smiled, “I’m a psychologist that will help you identify your power by asking you a few questions. Just call me Dr. V.” She introduced herself. I nodded my head, acknowledging her. “What do you like to do in your free time?” she started her interview.

“I guess I like to think… you know like reading and solving problems… I just like to do things that require me to use my brain.” She furrowed her eyebrows at my answer.  My eyebrows reflected hers, like a mirror.

“Is that bad?” She quickly smiled and shook her head.

“Not at all… Let’s see… How do you interact with other children?”

“I guess… not really well… my brain doesn’t work like theirs. I become an outcast. Other kids my age don’t want to play with me. I’m too smart for them. They just don’t seem to understand me… but I think they’re all just stupid...” I bitterly spat, grudgingly.

Her eyes widened in slight doubt, “I did notice you do seem more intellectual than other 5 year olds.” She wrote stuff down onto the paper then looked back up at me. By now, her smile was gone and was replaced by a small frown of concern.

“Honey… I think you need to be tested some more. You need to go to the room next door.” She sadly informed.

“Nothing’s wrong with me… is there?” She just sorrowfully smiled and left her desk.  She walked over to me and held out her hand.  I grabbed it and she led me to the door.

“I’m sorry…” she opened the door and gestured for me to leave.

“But.. you didn’t tell me what power I have yet…” I hopefully reminded hoping she just forgot.

“I can’t help you here… the man in the other room will” she apologetically smiled.  I trudged to the other door she pointed to.  I had a feeling, once I entered this room, I wouldn’t be able to return to my peaceful life.  With a shaking hand, I reached for the door knob.  Hesitantly, I opened the door and a gust of wind hit my face.  A familiar aura surrounded me.  Familiar hate.  I clenched my small fists and stepped in.  This room was the total opposite from the former.  It was dark, shady, and a dull feeling filled the room.

“Who’s there?” an eerie voice hissed.  I stayed silent.  “State your name!” he demanded.

“Luhan sir” I squeaked but with a firm voice.

“Oh… welcome!” his voice suddenly changed to a brighter and happier tone.  “I’ve been expecting you” he beamed.  I almost dropped my jaw.  Almost.  “So I will ask you some questions and you will answer… or else” his voice threatened.  “hahaha just kidding… but there will be question asking” his dark yet fatherly voice ejected.  I loosened up.

“So let’s star-... why is it so dark in here? Let the poor boy sit in peace!” he ordered.  A snap echoed in the room and torches were lit, enlightening the room.  He cleared his throat.  He had a eye patch covering his left eye and a deep scar stretched across the left side of his face.  His hair was slightly spiked; his body was well toned and worn down as if years of battle and war weared him out.

“Rather than asking you a few questions, I’m going to ask you to do some physical activities.” he informed.

“There is a spoon beside you… bend it” he ordered.  I disinterestedly stared blankly at the utensil.  He nodded for me to continue.  I grabbed the spoon and with two hands and bent it in half.  He laughed heartily.

“There was that method” he laughed.

He then handed me a rubix cube and told me to solve it.  I twirled it around in my fingers for a few seconds then began to twist and turn it.  It played around my fingers and in a few minutes, all sides were color coordinated.  

“Impressive” he complimented approvingly with a smug smile.  

“There is a coconut tree.  A lion, chimpanzee, giraffe, and a squirrel will compete for the banana.  Who will win?” he asked.  My face irked.

“Are you insulting my intelligence level?” I asked as nicely as possible.

“You’re a sassy little boy… just answer the question”

“None… it’s a coconut tree” I answered.

“Okay… now solve this riddle.  A man murders his wife with a knife in their car. Nobody is around to see this. He throws her out of the car being careful not to leave any fingerprints on her body. Next he throws the knife off of a cliff into a gorge where it will never be found and he goes home. An hour later the police call him and tell him that his wife has been murdered and he needs to come to the scene of the crime immediately. As soon as he arrives, he is arrested.  How did they know he did it?”

I thought for awhile.  “They never told him where the murder scene happened.” I answered.

“Correct” He answered while bending down to get something underneath his desk.

“How does this help me find out my pow-” before I could finish my sentence a beanbag crashed into my face. I blinked while trying to process what just happened. “Did you just-”  another one hit me square in the face.  “Wh-.....oof”

And then my arm. Then leg.  My stomach.  My eyes brows twitched in annoyance.  

“WHY ARE YOU THROWI-” one last beanbag smacked my face before I exploded.  I stood up from my chair and tossed my arms as if throwing a tantrum.

“EXCUSE ME SIR! IT IS NOT NICE TO THROW THINGS!” I yelled as I flailed my arms outward.  At once, all the beanbags on the floor ed itself in all directions.  Some hitting the floor, others the man. The man stared at me blankly with no surprise displayed. I stared at my hands in shock and terror.

“What just happened… Did I do that?” I looked to the un-named man for an answer.

“Yes… I have some good news and some bad news… What would you like to hear first?” he replied getting straight to the point.

“The good news?”

“Well you have indeed come to the right place! You have a shadow power. The bad news is-”

“I know…” I stopped him. “I don’t get to see my parents anymore right?!” I angrily questioned him.  He didn’t answer and I knew the silence was my answer.  Silence would become my new answer for everything.  My world would become dark… It started off dark, it would stay dark.  Born in the light side never changed anything.  I was about to leave back through the door I came from but he stopped me.

“Stop… now that you know your power, you may not enter that side…” he pointed to the left and I followed his arm.  I stared at the faint door that precipitated, slowly revealing itself.  I knew from then on, that once I stepped through that door, I wouldn’t see my parents again.

I hesitantly approached the door and as I grasped the door knob. My parents faces flashed in front of me.  Mom and Dad both smiling.  Why didn’t I notice it before?  They radiated while I hid in the shadows.  I shut my eyes and swung the door open.  I took my first step into that world with my eyes closed and the door shut behind me.

 

--

 

I walked through the dimly lit halls of the Olethron, a building where only the high officials entered. I passed many doors that led to who-knows-where until I reached the last door at the very end of the hall. When I pushed my ear against the door, there was only silence. Did the man give me the wrong directions? What does it matter now? Without a care I pushed the door open and stepped outside. The surroundings felt medieval-like and there was no place that was brighter than the light emitting from a small nightlight. Each street were illuminated by medium-sized torches.  Somehow I reached the courtroom where all the kids were playing.  I trudged along the sidewalk and stopped at the entrance.  The kids playing with each other all stopped in a ripple effect and stared at me.  No, they were glaring.  Judging.  They looked disgusted.  

“Isn’t that a 2% kid?”

“Don’t they get separated from their parents?”

“I heard a 2% kid is born when someone in their family line married, one from the light and one from dark”

“Outsider”

“He’s gonna infect us all”

“One of the forbidden children.”

“Why did they send him here?”

“Just ignore him… he’s a loser… a nobody….”

They all took one last look and returned to what they were doing. A 2% kid? A 2% kid?! I slammed my small fists against the nearest wall. I didn’t ask to be a stupid 2% kid! I continued walking ignoring all the stares.

I don’t need anybody! I was always alone, an outcast.  Who says things will change?  They can go play their stupid games.  I’m too smart for them anyways…

For the next 2 years, I stayed inside my dorm.  I accompanied myself with rubix cubes, puzzles, books, and solved cases the Sophists couldn’t solve.

Only for two years.  Then this five year old pyromaniac disturbed my peace.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey lovelies ~~~

how was your week? :)

Hope it was good!

So a little explanation for what they really are :)

we know things sort of escalated quickly but we kind of noticed the couples weren't going anywhere so we needed some kind of catalyst... uh that could be an excuse xDD

ENjoy your weekend guys

Pun!!!

What does Yoseob do when he's sad?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

he Seobs hahahaha

okay :)