You're the "Angel" I need (:

What time is it? It's 2PM

Jin Min's POV 

Today is my 20th birthday, and also the 15th day since Junho and I started dating. Due to his busy schedule we have only managed to meet up once in this two weeks for dinner, and even that was rushed. I understood that he was busy and I wasn't upset at all when he cancelled our dates last minute. That's what worried me. Why wasn't I even a little affected by his actions? Even though I hadn't dated before, I understood that if you cared for someone, you would definitely be mad if that person stood you up. A niggling doubt crept in my mind occasionally, a little more each day as time passed. What if I didn't really love him? After all, when I said that I would give him a chance to be with me, I still only thought of him as a friend. I had hoped that that would change after dating him but...nope it didn't.

As I was thinking about that, Junho called, saying that he had made an appointment at a lakeside restaurant for my birthday. He also said that he knew a special someone who had requested to see me on my birthday. When I arrived, Junho hadn't arrived, but someone very familiar was already seated there. "Jin Min ah, you've become so thin. Have you been eating well? How's school? Okay wait maybe you should take a seat first, and, happy birthday darling!" My mother bombarded me with questions as soon as she spotted me. Tears filled up in my eyes as I hugged her tightly before sitting down. "Oma, what are you doing here? Unless...you're the person who requested to see me? Oh oma you could have just called me, I missed you so much." She wiped my tears lovingly, her own tears running down her coarse cheeks. "I'm sorry Jin Min, I'm so sorry for being such a horrible mother, for not providing you with the happy home that you deserve. I really wanted to call you, but I also wanted to reunite with you, only when I was sure that I could take care of you again. And to do that, I...I kicked my drinking habit. I entered rehab a few months ago, and I've stayed sober all this time. I just got out a few days ago, and well it was your birthday! What better present can I give to you except your mom back? I cannot gurantee that I'll remain like that forever, but I promise you that I'll do my best to. I've got you to take care of now, as long as you're by my side, encouraging me, I won't even be tempted to take a sip. The question now is, will you willing to come back home?" 

I was so thankful to hear that that I started laughing and crying at the same time. I embraced my mother again, and without hesitation, I replied, "I'll go home and be with you, Oma, you have no idea how long I've waited to hear you say that you'll quit drinking. It doesn't matter if you wander off again, I'll be there to pull you back. Thank you Oma, thank you so much, this means so much more than anything money can ever buy." We were catching up on each other's lives when Junho arrived. He greeted me with a wave and nodded politely to my mother. She remarked gratefully, "Junho here was the one who provided me with the contact for rehab, and he has also been updating me regularly on things that have been going on in your life. Thank you, Junho." Before he could respond Hyo Sung added playfully, "I also heard that you were dating Junho. He called me to ask for my consent before he asked you!" I stared at Junho, totally shocked that he had been doing so many things behind my back. I was also very grateful to him, which turned to mild guilt once he pulled out a black box. "Since Auntie doesn't mind our relationship, I shall just give this to you here, Happy birthday Jin Min. Saranghaeyo!" I opened it, half scared of what I might find, and I found a beautiful charm bracelet. On it had a tree charm, a star charm, an angel charm and even a heart charm. I gasped in delight as I each charm, all of which had special significance. The heart reminded me of how I felt towards Junho(or rather the lack of feeling towards him) and I suddenly felt that I could lead him on no further. "Junho, do you want to go outside for a walk while we wait for dinner to be served?" My mother hurried us out and laughingly, we headed out of the restaurant. It was a cool evening and even before I asked Junho took off his coat and put it over me. 

Overwhelmed by his sweet gesture I remained silent for a few minutes. He didn't prod, just gently let me know by his presence that I was free to talk whenever I wanted. Finally, I started. "Junho, I'm really sorry to have to tell you this, but I think we should break up." He remained silent, waiting for me to explain, but I could see the deep pain and confusion in his normally cheerful eyes. I continued, feeling more evil and heartless with every passing second. "Before you start feeling sorry towards me, let me just assure you that you have been the most perfect boyfriend anyone could ask for, and I really have been blessed to be so loved by you. Thank you for always being so considerate, so sweet, so gentle, thank you for helping my mother, for quietly protecting me and caring for me always, thank you for being my guardian angel. I mean, even if we don't date anymore, you'll forever be the only "angel" that I need. The reason why I wanted to break up is because I don't, or rather can't bring myself to think of you as a boyfriend. To me, you're my best friend, my brother, but I don't think you can ever be anything else in my life. I'm so sorry Junho, but I think the both of us took this as a trial, a chance to see if it could work out, but the trial failed." 

He nodded in silent acknowledgement, the confusion dissipated. "Well at least I know now that it wasn't something that I did wrong. I appreciate you telling me this sooner rather than later, before I developed even deeper feelings for you. Don't worry about it Jin Min, we'll always be friends." He flashed his trademark eye smile at me, and my anxious heart became soothed. "I'll even be your "angel" as long as you want me to!"