I'm in love

What time is it? It's 2PM

Nichkhun’s POV

 

I had a nightmare last night about Ji Hyun. I saw her getting hit by a car, dying in hospital, and it startled me how much the thought hurt me. Even now, halfway through the day, I still felt a stab of pain whenever I thought of it. Junho nudged me. “Hyung, what’s wrong? You were quite distracted during dance practice just now.” I shook my head and smiled. “Nothing’s wrong Junho, I just had a bad dream last night. Speaking of which, aren’t we missing a backup dancer?” I scoured the room for Ji Hyun, by right she was supposed to be there practicing with us. Ryu Byung, another back up dancer heard my question and bounced over. “Ji Hyun didn’t turn up for work today.”

 

My heart plummeted as I fearfully asked, “Do you…do you know why?” Ryu Byung shook her head, promising to call Ji Hyun later. For the rest of the practice, I tried to concentrate on dancing, but I couldn’t help worrying. So far, whenever I had a nightmare, they were frighteningly accurate as evil omens for bad things to come. What if this time…this time it proved accurate as well? I shut my eyes in denial, no, nothing will happen, I would call Ji Hyun later to make sure, but nothing will happen.

 

“Ji Hyun!” I called out happily. Relief was clearly evident in my voice. The members all stared at me weirdly as they exited the dance studio. Regardless, I settled on the floor and basked in her astonished laugh. “Nickhun Oppa! How did you get my number?” She asked. I glanced at the departing Ryu Byung and chuckled. “Not important, anyway, why didn’t you come to work today?” She explained sadly that she had contracted flu and had a mild fever, thus she had decided to stay at home that day. I laughed happily as the great load lifted from my heart. So nothing very bad had happened after all! There was nothing to worry about. We chatted for a while, as she told me cheerfully that she was feeling much better and that she was heading out to the nearby supermarket.

 

All of a sudden, I heard a loud crash through the phone. It shocked me and I immediately called, “Ji Hyun! Ji Hyun!” No reply. My fists clenching, I continued calling her name, until I heard it. The dial tone. Had…had Ji Hyun really gotten into an accident? Hands trembling, I cut the call and attempted to call again. Junho, who had been waiting for me patiently in the studio noticed my actions and asked what was wrong. I could hardly get the words out, “I…I think Ji Hyun’s in an accident…I don’t know what to do now!” As panic overtook me, I could hardly stand properly. Junho’s smile disappeared and his “serious” face came on. He grabbed my hand and forced me out of the dance studio and into a car. “Hyung, I need you to calm down and focus now. Do you have any idea where she stays?” I closed my eyes, trying to think. Then it hit me. That time, so very long ago, when we had dinner together in the park, she had mentioned that the park was very near her home. Said park was about 2km away from JYP. I told Junho the directions and he hit the pedal.

 

Within minutes we had arrived in the district and I dashed out of the car, anxiously pacing the neighbourhood looking for Ji Hyun, or…or even any sign of a car accident. But all was peaceful. While walking, I accidentally stepped on a small piece of pottery. Before I could react though, a familiar voice piped up. “I’m so sorry Sir I must have left that piece out when I was sweeping up earlier!” The voice came from behind me, instantly I knew, it was Ji Hyun! I turned around, shocked, just as she looked up at me. “Khun Oppa! What are you doing here?” Her mystified expression mirrored mine, before I ran up to her and hugged her tightly, tears of joy already spilling. “You scared me, you really did, please don’t do that to me again.” She patted my back awkwardly, it was obvious that she had no clue what I was talking about. I was too overcome with joy and relief to speak, so Junho explained. “Apparently when you were talking to Hyung, he heard a very loud crash, then the phone line went dead, which caused him to think that you had been in an accident.”

 

A bemused look appeared in Ji Hyun’s eyes. “Oppa, you were worried about me?” I blushed, rather embarrassed about how I had behaved earlier on. “I had a nightmare last night, about you getting hit by a car and dying, and well my nightmares normally are evil omens…I was just scared that it would really happen…” Noticing my embarrassment, Ji Hyun didn’t press on the subject, instead she invited us to her home where she cooked us lunch.

 

On the way back to JYP however, as I drove, Junho repeatedly asked me why I was so concerned about Ji Hyun. Pulling into a carpark space, I finally gave in and answered, “I’m really not sure, but I’ve been feeling this urge to protect Ji Hyun, and I think about her constantly. I’m just really confused now…” Junho leaned in, his eyes twinkling. “I think you’re in love, Hyung.”

 

I brushed off his suggestion, dismissing it as merely friendship. But that night, as I lay on my bed, my mind ran over the events of the day. That panic I had felt, I certainly don’t feel that for mere friends, even towards people like Minyeon, I had never felt that much emotion for her, and I had known her for a few years already. What is it about Ji Hyun that caused me to care for her so much? Junho’s words rang in my mind. Putting everything together, I suddenly knew from the bottom of my heart that yes, I’m in love.