Without You

What time is it? It's 2PM

Minyeon’s POV

 

I’ve never seen Khun Oppa so happy. He certainly was never this happy when he spent time with me. Last time when he used to smile all the time, he is now humming happily all the time. He’s even come up with several new songs, such as My Valentine. All proof of how happy he is with Ji Hyun. When I finally worked up the courage to ask him about her a few weeks ago, his answer shattered me to pieces. His adorable rambling about how cute and lovable Ji Hyun was made me want to hate him, hate the both of them, but I just could not bring myself to ever hate him. I simply had to swallow my sadness in front of him.

 

Everyone, including my brother were cheerfully oblivious about all this (maybe it’s just because I am too good an actress) except for one person. Junsu oppa. He approached me one night after dinner at the dorm, and asked to walk me home instead of my brother. He took advantage of the fact that my brother was due to record a variety show the next morning and casually made an excuse that he wanted to go to the bookshop on the way. Once we got outside the house though, he asked me directly. “Why have you been so quiet and upset lately? Now, don’t try to lie, I know you too well for that. You’re trying to hide your sadness in front of everyone else but I don’t want you to do that now. We’re alone, and I swear that I won’t tell if you don’t want me to. So what’s really going on Minyeon?” His words pierced my heart, and I couldn’t help but look up at him painfully. I shut my eyes to stop the hot ball of tears that was rising up my throat and into my eyes, before answering him. “N…nothing is going on oppa, don’t worry, I’m just having a bad day.”

 

He eyed me suspiciously but didn’t question further. “I’ll be here for you, no matter what, so don’t ever hesitate to confide in me, or ask for my help in anyway alright? We’re here, go in now and have a good rest tonight!” My emotions suddenly welled up in me, and like a rushing wave the words tumbled out of my mouth. “I’m in love with Khun oppa….desperately in love. It’s killing me to see him so happy, the both of them so happy and I…I can’t very well act like something is wrong I don’t want anyone to think that I’m jealous of Ji Hyun, but…but I am, I just can’t” my words were getting jumbled up, my mind unable to think logically. My heart was so broken inside, but no tears came out. I was strangely relieved to finally be able to unload the heavy burden that I had been carrying around. Junsu stared at me weirdly, finally understanding my mood the past few days. Along with that understanding though, came a certain deep dark pain that was reflected from his eyes. I had never seen that look in his normally carefree eyes before, and it scared me, so much so that I forgot my own sadness temporarily. As quickly as the look came though, it disappeared, and Junsu patted me on the back and took me inside. His actions revealed nothing, and I was so distracted by his change in mood that I was in my room and tucked in my bed before I finally realized that he never did answer my confession. By then, he was already long gone.   

 

Minyeon’s POV

Junsu oppa texted me to meet him at the beach tonight at 8. His message was weird but I trusted him, so I headed out. To my surprise though, when I arrived, the only person I saw sitting on the sand was Khun. He looked shocked when he saw me but cleared his throat and immediately asked. “Junsu hyung told me to seek “the truth” from the person I was going to meet. Which is you. So, what do you have?” I was shouting crazily in my mind, but outwardly I appeared calm. Well, I hoped I did. Although initially appalled at Junsu hyung telling Khun about me, I realized soon after that he meant well for me. Logic won over my emotions and I heaved a deep breath before starting. “I…I have a crush on you. Well, had. I know you’re with Ji Hyun now, and I don’t want to break you up, I really don’t, but these few days I haven’t been able to function properly, because all I’m thinking about is you. Junsu oppa noticed this and that’s why he knows my secret. I really didn’t want to say this to you, oppa, but without you, I don’t think I will ever be able to live properly. You have been my motivation to study, to work hard, so that I can enter a good school, get a good job, live my dreams. You did that, so I modeled my life after you. Whenever you disapproved of my friends, I listened to you, because I knew that you really cared about me. Even when I argued with Taec you’re the one who stepped in to mediate. You’ve done so much for me, and I guess somewhere along the line, the gratefulness became love.

 

But don’t worry oppa, this experience has taught me a lot, it taught me that I shouldn’t rely on anyone so much, I should be independent. So, without you, I’ll be okay, without you, I’m gonna stand up on my own, I’ll live on, without you.”