Like a Star

What time is it? It's 2PM

Jin Min’s POV

She’s at it again, when will she ever stop? It’s breaking my heart seeing her like this. Maybe it’s a good thing that Mum couldn’t give birth anymore after I was born. I wouldn’t want anyone else to suffer in the same way as I am now. I put on my headphones again, sighing heavily. I don’t think I can stand another day of this…not anymore. Making my decision, I grabbed a knapsack and stuffed a few sets of clothes in it, along with my piggy bank, I just needed to leave for a while. When I headed out to the living room, a glass bottle whizzed past my head. “Don’t even think about leaving the house young lady, go back to your room now!” My mom slurred drunkenly. I ignored her and walked towards the door, until a can hit my head. Tears b from my eyes, I wiped away the blood that had sprouted from the wound, took a last look at my mother, who was sprawled on the couch, then ran to the nearby bus stop. The can assault was the final straw. I had decided that I would never return home, never.

 

As I emptied my pockets for bus fare, I chanced upon a Polaroid that I had taken with my best friend, Junho. Even though he was a kpop idol now, he still made time for me, and he was the only one who knew all my secrets. I my phone, should I tell him about my decision? I don’t want to burden him with my troubles, especially since he’s so busy, but if I’m really planning to leave home, I don’t intend to have contact with anyone. I’ll start my life afresh somewhere. His eye smiles, his cheerful outlook on life, his strong yet gentle voice… That’s why I have to say goodbye to him, he deserves that much. I guess…a simple text message would do.

 

Junho’s POV

It was late morning when I finally got up. I don’t often have days where I can sleep in, so I stretched and made my way to the breakfast table leisurely. Khun Hyung had prepared breakfast for me. I whispered a small thanks as I sat down and tucked in. The dorm was empty as everyone had schedules. Hearing my phone buzz I reached for it, smiling when I saw my best friend’s name and the adorable emoticon I had saved as her contact. My smile disappeared completely by the time I reached the end of her message. Breakfast forgotten, I grabbed a jacket and ran out the dorm.

 

Jin Min’s POV

My phone was wet by the time I had finished the message. Taking a deep breath, I wiped the rest of my tears away. My finger lingered over the “off” button, finally landing on it and holding it down firmly. There, it was off. I tucked the phone into my bag just as the bus came.

 

Junho’s POV

I can’t be too late, I can’t! “Thank you ahjusshi!” I shoved the taxi driver a 10000 won note as I opened the door and lunged out. In a few seconds, I reached the apartment that was Jin Min’s home. The stench of liquor hit me before I could even take in the scene. “Jin Min! Jin Min!” I frantically paced outside her home as I shouted. A slurred voice greeted me. “S-she left…go aw-way…” I instantly took out my phone and started recording. This was my only hope…

 

Jin Min’s POV

“When you wander away, all alone, don’t worry, because I promise I’ll find you. Why? Because I’ll forever be your star.” As the familiar words from the voicemail came to an end, childhood memories and promises made rang in my mind. I looked at the text message from Junho, “You know where to wait for me.]” I leaned against the glass window and slowly nodded. I reached my stop in about an hour. Getting off the bus, I breathed in the fresh air. My surroundings brought back many memories, memories of Junho and I playing catch around a large oak tree, of us simply lying on the grass staring up at the bright blue sky, of us playing simply, innocently, carefree without any burdens, worries.

 

I walked up to an old cracked pavement. Behind it stood our beloved oak tree. We used to climb up and sit on the branches, laughing and joking all the way. It was also where I had first told Junho of my home situation, where he had first seen me cry. My thoughts returned to the past, Junho gently cupping my cheek and wiping away my tears, “I’ll be your star Jin Min, I will always watch over and protect you. You’re not in this alone, we can get you through this together.” It then fast-fowarded into the future, where Junho was leaving our hometown to seek his future as a kpop star, that he still made sure that I would be safe from my mother, even to the extent of persuading my mother to move to Seoul, where he would be living. Finally, my thoughts returned to the future, when I heard Junho’s voice.  

 

His eyes twinkled as he strolled over. He playfully started climbing the tree, to my horror and well okay, amusement. “Yah, do you think you’re very light? You’re already 19 for goodness sake, come down from there!” I spat out half laughing half crying. He chuckled as he sat on a sturdy branch. He held out his hand to me. “Wanna come up?” Laughing I accepted it and soon sat down next to him.

 

“I was worried about you today, what were you thinking?” “I just…couldn’t take it anymore. You know that better than anyone.” He looked up at me seriously. “You’re only 19 you know, you can’t live by yourself, can’t make your own living yet. It could have gotten really dangerous today. Now, I won’t ask you to go back home, at least not yet, but please, go back to the 2PM dorm with me today. This way I can at least make sure that you have a proper place to stay in and that you can continue studying conveniently. The distance between the school and the dorm is short as well.”

 

I nodded; this seemed to be the best plan so far. “Thanks Junho. Don’t stress yourself too much over me okay? You seem to have trouble remembering that you’re 19 as well.” Our cheerful banter continued for quite a while, as we watched the sun go down.