Maybe he'll come back

What time is it? It's 2PM

The next day, just as I stepped in for work, Junho appeared at the door. “Heun Hye noona, can you help me? I know we don’t know each other very well, but this is extremely important…not just to me but for my group.” He handed a few pieces of sheet music to me. “This…this song, can we sing it for our next performance instead of heartbeat? I…I wrote this last night, we all did, actually…Jin-young sshi promised us that we could have one last performance with Jay…” I glanced at the title, “Maybe she’ll come back”. “It’s pretty good! I’ll see what I can do.” Within a few hours, they were all gathered in the music room practicing the song. Thankfully for them, JYP had agreed to put “Heartbeat” on hold and work on their newest song first. For the first time, I saw Jay for myself. I saw how everyone was more relaxed with him around, and how they all looked up to him as their leader. Glancing at the lyrics, I realized that even though it seemed like a romance song in general, there was probably underlying meanings and feelings. I mean, it made no sense for Junho to suddenly write a song like this unless…unless it was about the group and Jay. There was a sudden silence as the music got cut. I looked up sharply. Everyone was staring at Wooyoung, whose eyes were filling up with tears. Jay’s hands were on the stereo. He had flipped the ‘off’ switch. “That’s enough for today, don’t you think? Can we practice more tomorrow instead?” Chan Yeong nodded hurriedly at Jay’s suggestion and the members started to leave.

 

“What was that about?” I asked as I rearranged the CDs. Chan Yeong shook her head and sighed. “Wooyoungie is really emotional I guess, next time you have to watch out for these things! When the singer gets too emotional there’s no point forcing it, nothing good will come out of it.” A few hours later, once I got off work I went up to the sky-garden in JYP. It had a wonderful view, no matter that it wasn’t that high up(only 7 stories high) it was beautifully decorated with palm trees and lilies all around. It even had a mini-bridge over a pebbly brook! I smiled happily and started twirling round and round and round, feeling the stresses of the day disappear in a flash…until I crashed into him. “OMG I’m so sorry I didn’t know there was another…Wooyoung?” His originally shocked expression melted away into a cute smile. “Oh…Heun Hye! Haha didn’t expect to see you here! Isn’t it after working hours already?” I nodded my head sheepishly, he simply smiled and led the way to a grove in the middle of the garden. It had a gorgeous view, not of the many buildings in this central spot but simply of the pink sky. I gasped in wonder as I sunk down next to him on the ground. “So…secret hideout? Haha, I’m lucky to have ran into you today, otherwise, I would be sitting on the other side watching the boring buildings!” He laughed, surprisingly. It was a nice sound. Noticing that he was still sniffling from the afternoon’s sob fest, I casually asked, “So, what was that back there?” He stiffened up for a moment, then heaved out a sigh. “I’m sorry for ruining the practice, just that those lyrics…You might come back…I can’t forget you…well those are the words that I think all of us want to say to Jay.. I mean, that’s kind of why Junho wrote this song, it’s going to be our last time performing with Jay, and who knows when we’ll even get to see him again? I just wanted to keep hoping that maybe Jinyoung sshi made a mistake, or that he would change his mind, that Jay would one day come back to us…” His tears were already flowing out like a waterfall, slowly, I put my hands around him. When he finally looked up and stopped crying, I reached into my handbag and handed him a tissue. “You don’t want your hyungs to see you like this right? Come on, be a good boy and clean your face! Now show me a smile!” He gave a small half smile and started laughing at the sight of the goofy face I’d pulled. “It’s alright to cry in front of me, but don’t make your hyung even sadder by crying in front of him! You never know, maybe he’ll really come back one day.”