Discoveries

What time is it? It's 2PM

It’s been a week since I started working at JYP. Chan Yeong has been the best senior I could ever hope for, she didn’t just help me get accustomed to my job, she also updated me about the going-ons in JYP. I caught sight of 2PM’s Chansung walking by, which reminded me that I had yet to find out what happened in their group. “Chan Yeong unnie, what happened with 2PM? Her jaw dropped, “You don’t know? It’s all over the Internet…well basically, one of 2PM’s members got into a scandal and well, his position in 2PM is kinda unstable now, no one is sure what JYP will do to him…” At this point, her phone chirped and she left the room to answer the call. I sighed, then went back to my work. Apparently the next group to come in for work on their album is…2PM. It would be my first time working with the group. Chan Yeong came in, the group followed behind her. I counted in my head, one, two, three, four, five, six…where’s the seventh? Looking down at the picture I had of them with name labels, I slowly identified each of them…Ahh so the leader, Jay was missing. Was he the one with the scandal? I made a mental note to google it when I was free.

 

The main vocalist, Junsu recognized me first. Smiling, he introduced me to the group. Everyone smiled politely and made small chat, except Wooyoung. He kept his face down throughout, only looking up occasionally. The other members did not seem to notice anything amiss and Chan Yeong certainly didn’t make any comments. The song was an active song called “Heartbeat”. Chan Yeong had written it previously for them. As the boys practiced, I asked Chan Yeong. “What about the other member? He has parts in this song as well.” Chan Yeong shrugged and told me that it would depend on what JYP decided. However, she had already prepared a back-up, with Junho singing Jay’s parts.

 

No news came for another week, until one day Ji Hyun burst into the music room, breathless. “Heun Hye! Chan Yeong! Did you hear about 2PM?? This is horrible!!!” Tears started streaming down her face as she gasped, “Jay is being made to leave 2PM, he…he can’t even have contact with them anymore! This is so sad!!!” Upon hearing the shocking news, Chan Yeong reacted first. Whipping out her phone, she speed-dialled her boyfriend, Taecyeon, also known as the rapper of 2PM. A grim look on her face confirmed it. By this time, Ji Hyun was sobbing against my shoulder. All I could think about was how sad the boys would be. Yes they were kpop idols and all, but they were all still human! Working in JYP definitely taught me that. When Chan Yeong decided to go to visit the boys, I asked to go along without hesitation. The three of us made our way to 2PM’s dance studio. Through the glass door, we could see that the seven of them were seated in a circle. The lights were off and it was silent. Ji Hyun was about to go in when Chan Yeong stopped her. “Let them have some alone time, that’s the biggest consolation we can give them right now…”