Album No. 38

Play the Keys to My Heart

Album No. 38
∫Track 01

“BoA?” Yoochun said when I showed up at his door so late into the night. He stared at me for a while but I had nothing much to say. Or rather not say it.
“Um.. come in,” he added, so I walked in ahead of him.

I reveled in the warmth of the house as the butler took my suitcase for me, and Yoochun began asking, “I wasn’t expecting you to show up, BoA. I thought that um..”

“It turned out last minute that LiYin’s relatives were staying over,” I cut in, despite not being in the mood to speak and he stopped short. “Since there wasn’t much room over there… I thought it’d be better to come back here,” I lied and he seemed to buy it.

I glanced at him innocently, “Is that okay?”
He looked surprise for a while but smiled gently. “Of course. You’re always welcome here.”

We went further into the house in the second living room in the back where the fireplace was. I sat down as Yoochun checked on the flame.

“I’m sorry about making you wait earlier. You must have been really cold,” Yoochun said and I shook my head.
“Ah it’s all right… I should apologize for having to bother you like this..” I answered and rubbed my hands together to warm them up. I breathed into them and inched my chair closer to the fire.

“BoA,” Yoochun said and then stood over me, studying my face. “Your eyes and nose are red. It’s like…” His voice trailed off and I nervously turned my head away. “..Are you sure you’re all right?”

“I-it was just too cold outside so I got a little sick,” I replied and gave off a chuckle. “I didn’t cry. You’re thinking too much, Yoochun.” I smiled a little and he looked a bit doubtful but went to his seat across from me. The room grew quiet and I stared at the flame, watching it burn. It was like how I felt inside, burning away.

My cough soon came back and I pressed on my chest to calm it down. Luckily the butler returned with some warm water and I took a glass, drinking it carefully.
“It seems like you’re more than just a little sick,” Yoochun said with concern and walked over. “Butler Oh, bring some cold medicine and prepare a glass of honey lemon tea for BoA please.”

Yoochun crouched down in front of me and put his hand on my cheek. “You’ve got a fever BoA.” His eyes looked really worried as my breathing grew heavy again. “Come on, you need some rest. I’ll show you to your room.” He extended his arm for me to take a hold of but when I tried to stand up with it, my knees buckled. There was just so much pain… all over… so much…

Unknowingly, tears started to stream out of my eyes and I gave up on standing on my own. It was just too difficult. I leaned into Yoochun and he jolted a little, surprised.

Yoochun didn’t say anything but slowly put his arms around me and patted the back of my head. Later he whispered to me, “It’s okay. Whatever it is, BoA, I’m here. I’m here for you, BoA. I’m here..”

I couldn’t help but cry my eyes out this time. Everything was too hurtful. I don’t know what to do. What can I do? What can I do…

After a good while, I stopped and took in a deep breath. I pulled myself away from Yoochun and insisted that I was okay. “Sorry..” I apologized under my breath and used my long sleeves to wipe the tears.

“No need to be,” Yoochun smiled at me and then leaned down, checking my face. “Is it something.. that you want to talk about?”
I swallowed softly and shook my head, avoiding eye contact.

“Well. Never mind then,” he stated casually and straightened his back. I glanced at Yoochun as he tilted his head to the side towards a hall. “Come on. You should get some rest, you’ll feel better after a good night’s sleep,” he repeated and I gradually nodded.

Yoochun offered his arm again but this time I declined. “Thanks. I feel better after crying,” I told him, though I was actually still a bit light-headed. “Please go ahead, I’ll follow.”

He made a face that pretty much asked, ‘are you sure?’ but Yoochun didn’t say anything and instead smiled, walking first.

Thank you. Yoochun.

∫Track 02

The next morning, I sat up in bed in the guest room and let out a deep breath. My nose was still stuffy and my head aching just a bit but Yoochun was right. I did feel better.

I gazed around the room and was amazed by how nice and neatly it was decorated. I started to wonder - do all the rich business people in Korea just love the idea of having guest rooms? From my experience so far, it seems to be the case. Well, I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

Eventually, I pushed the heavy blanket off of me and threw one leg after the other over the side of the bed, getting out of it. Once I stood, I immediately lost balance and had to sit down again. Ugh, I hated being sick and this was all… his fault.

I shut my eyes tight, trying to forget about it. Try to forget about yesterday. Apparently I still wasn’t over the heartache, and to think that it was Christmas when it all happened. Sometimes I still can’t believe it. Did I seriously confess, and worse, get rejected? Aish… I seriously have to stop thinking about it… my head was hurting again..

Suddenly, someone knocked at the door and I figured that it must have been Yoochun. There was like, no one else in the house after all.

“Come in,” I told him and he opened the door, walking in with something tucked behind his back. I gave up a tiny smile and questioned, “What’s that?”

“Well~” Yoochun began with a goofy grin, as usual, but this time I didn’t feel the least bit annoyed. “After what happened yesterday, I wasn’t sure if you were in the mood for a Christmas present but here- I want you to have it.”

I gasped lowly and received the box in my hands. “Yoochun, you didn’t have to. I.. I didn’t even get you anything…” I admitted and he waved his hand down.
“Don't worry about it. I don’t need anything,” he told me. I gazed up at him as a noticeable blush spread in his face. “..I just want you to be happy, that’s all.”

Though my feelings were as they are now, I was moved by his kind words. I showed him a grin and opened the gift with excitement. I was surprised that this time around it wasn’t another piece of jewelry, but it was a good thing.

“Haha, it’s really cute~ I like it a lot, Yoochun. Thank you so much,” I expressed, lifting up the set of pink pajamas with hearts patterned all over it. I found things like these even more thoughtful than the bracelet charms that he used to give me every year, which I’ve never worn by the way.

“I’m glad,” he breathed out with relief and I laughed lightly at his reaction. I held in a giggle as he started to ramble, “I wasn’t sure if pajamas would be okay but then yesterday you showed up dressed like this so I thought that okay, you do wear them but yours seem kind of… not girly…? So I was thinking maybe you wouldn’t like these but I think that you are pretty girly, not saying that you aren’t of course because you are a girl after all-”

I placed the pink pajamas back down into its box and looked down at the pair that I was wearing. OH MY GOSH. I was… wearing…

“I mean, do you like your pajamas one or two sizes bigger usually? Because I think I can exchange those if you want me to,” Yoochun offered and I had half a mind to deny the fact but then he’d be suspicious, wouldn’t he?

“Erm, I, uh, yeah! It’s just- it’s just that It’s uh, more comfy and stuff when it’s looser you know? Ah, haha..” I laughed it off nervously and luckily Yoochun didn’t look at me like I was crazy, though I sure was feeling like it. I even twisted my body side to side to show him this so-called ‘free comfort.’

Yoochun nodded like he understood. “I see. So do you think we should head to the mall and change the size since we’re both here?”

“Ah, n-no I think this is okay. I’ll be fine with this, no need to be so troublesome,” I defended but he insisted. Here came pushy Yoochun again.

“No, no, you said it’s more comfortable loose. It’s fine, I have nothing else to do,” he said and took the box from me before I could get a good grip on it. “I’ll go exchange it for you if you’re not well enough to go out. Stay home and rest then, I won’t take long. If anything you can call for Butler Oh,” Yoochun told me and turned to leave.

I glanced at the bed and then at his back. Did I really want to just stay home by myself in an empty house and sulk all day?

“W-wait!” I stopped him and he spun around with surprise. “..Ah, I-I’ll go with you.”

∫Track 03

Once we hit the mall, regret suddenly hit me in the face and hard. Let me tell you, it has a pretty good backhand and is not afraid to show it.

I mean, what was I thinking, agreeing to go out to the mall with Park Yoochun, who was already my long-time rumored fiancée and to add to that I went with him on a holiday, when possibly all the Ongaku students in Korea that you could think off would go hang out at THE MALL.

I sighed as heads would turn at us and people would whisper once we walked past. It wasn’t because of Yoochun, I’m almost completely fine with him now, but I just didn’t like this feeling of being watched, worse that it felt like I was being accused of adultery. It’s creepy and not to mention annoying when it wasn’t even the truth!

I then looked at Yoochun who was paying no attention to the fact, only focused on searching for the store that he bought the pajamas from. How fortunate for him to live in his oblivious, innocent world.

“Hey I think that’s the one,” Yoochun pointed out and I spotted the really feminine pink-purple colored themed store, opening my eyes wide with surprise. Did he really go in there, as embarrassing as it possibly could be for a guy to step into, just to buy those PJs for me?

I was so surprised that I didn’t even notice Yoochun fleeting from me. He then turned back and asked, “BoA, are you coming with?”

Despite the fact that I was kind of interested in what else was in that store, the light bulb went off in my head. “Ah, um, no it’s fine. If it’s okay can you go in and exchange it? I’m kind of dizzy, I want to rest out here.” Some separation might get those beady eyes off our backs!

“Yeah sure. I’ll be back soon,” Yoochun stated and then dashed into the shop.

I let out a sigh and snapped at our schoolmates giving me the look. I thought that maybe if I could frighten them, they’d scurry away to whatever hole they came out from but the tables me.

“Unni~ why are you doing this?” I recognized her face once she got near enough. I think her name was Sunny. How dare she approach me so casually!
“What? …Unni?” I shot back with spunk, half-shocked that she would even think we were close enough for her to call me an older sister of hers.

“Unni, did you and JaeJoong Oppa have a fight?” another asked with a pout and this one I don’t think I’ve ever seen before. And then the questions exploded from the rest of them without warning.

“Where is JaeJoong Oppa?” “Why are you with Yoochun-ssi?” “Unni, are you two-timing?” “Does JaeJoong Oppa know about this?” “Unni, even if you fight you shouldn’t go out so casually with another guy like this!” “Even if it’s Yoochun-ssi it’s not right.” “Yeah!” “I’m going to tell JaeJoong Oppa!” “He’s not going to like this you know.”

“Wait a minute, hold up!” I shouted and they all shut their mouths, staring at me blankly with their big eyes. “No one is two-timing anybody! I am not dating anybody! We’re all just friends! I am only accompanying Yoochun-ssi, I mean YOOCHUN, to the mall. It is not a date! And I don’t know where your precious JaeJoong Oppa is and I don’t care so don’t ask me!”

I let out a huff and they continued to stare at me unfazed. They blinked a few times as my breathing simmered down and then dropped, “But how could you not know Unni? You’re dating.”

Wow, they so do not listen.

“We are not dating!” I yelled and was ~this~ close to ripping my hair out, except I didn’t want to be sick, heartbroken, frustrated AND bald.

“I pity Oppa for having to deal with you Unni,” Sunny said as she shook her head with the rest of the 2nd year crew. “When you two make up, you should treat him better, okay?” I dropped my jaw and gawked at her like she was blubbering nonsense. Because she was!

“Come on girls, let’s get some frozen yogurt,” she told the others and they all eventually walked away.

I turned around and grumbled into the air. What an unfortunate meeting. Those kids still think that JaeJoong and I are dating, that we had a fight, that I’m cheating on him with Yoochun, and that I need to be a nicer girlfriend? Please! This is just a great way to start off my new JaeJoong-free day. Ugh.

“So what are you going to do now?”
“Aish, I don’t know. The competition is like a week after we get back to school. Ugh.. this is driving me crazy..”
“Can’t you find someone else then?”

Hm, those voices… I spun around with curiosity, finding the familiar voices of the conversation I totally eavesdropped on belonging to three familiar faces.

“Dana, DongHae, Hyukjae!” I greeted as they stood and spoke in that order. I dashed up to them and they were just as surprised to see me. Finally, something to get my mind of off unimportant things.

“Hi BoA!” Dana exclaimed cheerful as always and gave me a hug.
“BoA, what are you doing here?” Hyukjae asked and I smiled awkwardly at him. I didn’t want to say that I was with Yoochun. People were already talking.

“Erm, window shopping, mostly,” I answered, rocking back and forth on my heels. Hyukjae nodded, and I shot the question back at him. “You?”
“Just hanging out,” he replied and I looked over at DongHae who hadn’t even said hi yet.

“I actually overheard you guys talking just now… What was that all about? Is everything okay?” I asked, as the curious girl I was.
The two others instantly glanced at DongHae, who was pretty much in a -ish mood. I should have known that it was strange that he didn’t call me kid right away.

“Mr. Lee here was planning to enter a big dance competition, but his partner messed up her foot just yesterday at a party,” Hyukjae explained as he gripped onto DongHae’s shoulder. “Now he’s partner-less, and probably hopeless too.”

Dana was quick to slap Hyukjae in the stomach. He bent in towards the middle with an oof.
“Don’t say that~” she warned and then turned to DongHae. “Don’t worry, DongHae. You just need to find a new partner. It’ll be fine.”

“I don’t know..” DongHae stated in the worst possible way he’s ever carried himself. It was like I didn’t even know him. “It’s not easy to find someone who can pick up the choreography so quickly. We only have about two weeks until the competition.. it’s too late now.”

I couldn’t explain it, but seeing DongHae this down and serious about the issue made me feel like I should help him, however I could. That’s what friends were for right?

“Um.. do you think.. I could try?” I offered, even though I wasn’t sure how well it would go, they did say that I was okay at dance, right? Maybe I could do it. Surely, it wouldn’t be as bad if I only had two weeks to master a piano piece.

All three widened their eyes at me and stood still for a pretty long while. Was it really that surprising?

“I mean, if I don’t have enough experience, then it’s fine. I was just trying to see if it was possible that-“
“Yes,” DongHae answered and his boyish charm was back as he clutched my hands tight. It was a pretty slow response but I was glad that yes was the reply. “BoA, you’d be perfect. Thank you.. thank you so much.”

My lips curled up, and I laughed, pulling away from his grasp. “I think I’ll have to practice a lot though, and you’re going to need to teach me a lot too. Don’t kill me if I mess up, okay?” DongHae nodded with a genuine smile.

“Well then it’s all settled! All our problems are solved!” Hyukjae clapped his hands and wrung his arms around both of our shoulders. “Shall we go fro-yo?”

“Oh yeah, I’m suddenly craving those fruity toppings~” Dana sang with a bright grin.
“Wait, fro-yo as in.. frozen yogurt?” I questioned. Dang it, Sunny and those other girls were there! I don’t want to bump into them again!

Hyukjae knitted his eyebrows at me and shook his head, “No. I meant that we’re going to the hair salon to get afros.” I stared at him, confused. “YES I MEAN FROZEN YOGURT! Woman, you are a pabo!”

Hyukjae started to walk off on his own and I simply gaped at his back from the insult.
DongHae and Dana laughed. “Don’t worry about him,” Dana said as she patted me on the back. “He just gets that way when he needs food.”
“Don’t take him seriously,” DongHae advised, patting me on the other shoulder.

“I know. But um, I think I will back out on this one. You guys have fun,” I told them. As much as I began to crave me some tasty healthy dessert right now, I needed to avoid those crazy fan girls and get back to Mr. Park.

“Aw, why?” Dana had to ask and I had to boil up an excuse.
“Are you sure? It’ll be my treat since you’re going to help with the dance thing,” DongHae offered and I shook my head again.
“No, no it’s fine. I think my stomach isn’t feeling so good,” I said and patted my tummy.

DongHae and Dana glanced at each other and then back at me. “Well all right then,” DongHae stated with a shrug. “I’ll call you later about our practice schedule. By the way you think you can get started tonight, or is it too soon?”
I nodded positively. “That’s fine, we should use all the time we have to practice.”

DongHae gave me a smile and ruffled my hair. “Good thinking. I’ll see you at around 7 then, the usual place?”
“Eh? Ongaku’s open?” I asked aloud and DongHae put a finger to his lips. “It’s a secret,” he whispered with a wink and I understood. “Anyway, see ya later,” he waved and Dana added a cheerful bye before they both walked away.

“BoA, sorry it took so long,” Yoochun miraculously came back at a good time. He was looking into the plastic bag and took out the set of pajamas. “It took them a while to find a bigger size from their inventory. Is this better?”

He placed it in my hands and sure enough, it was two sizes larger than my actual size. I gave him a weird smile. “Ah… yeah.. thanks.” I stuffed the clothes back into the shopping bag and tugged on Yoochun’s arm.

“I think we should get out of here,” I said, pulling him in the direction towards the exit. Truthfully, I wanted to avoid any more gossip that could possibly break out and make a run for it before those girls come back and confront Yoochun too.
“Oh, okay,” Yoochun luckily agreed and we hurriedly left the place.

∫Track 04

Once at home, I could finally breath out a sigh of relief. Hopefully, the rumors won’t be so bad but knowing what those kids could do… aigoo, I don’t even want to think about it.

I shook my head, clearing my mind of the troublesome thoughts. I turned when I heard Yoochun chuckling. I stared at him blankly, “What?”
He smiled brightly but shook his head. “Nothing.”

I gazed at him for a while, wondering what was so funny and watched him slip his hands into his pockets. He then looked back at me. “Come to think of it, you hadn’t had much to eat. Are you hungry?”
The idea hadn’t occurred to me. I guess I wasn’t having much of an appetite.
“No, I’m okay,” I stated and I was sure that Yoochun was going to ask again but my phone rang. “Sorry..” I excused myself and picked up the call. It was DongHae.

“Hey, what's up?” I asked. He had called sooner than I expected.
“Kid, are you free in about an hour? I’m kind of pumped to teach you the choreo right now. After I drop Dana and Hyukjae back home, I’ll pick you up. You good?”
“Ah, no!” I yelled, and Yoochun jumped in alarm. I forced a grin at him and lowered my voice. “I-I mean yeah.. yeah but I’ll get there.. on my own.”
“You sure? You know, I don’t mind making the trip,” he chuckled, but that wasn’t the problem. The problem was that I didn’t want him to know that I was at Yoochun’s house. “I am your teacher now, aren’t I?”

I bitterly smiled at the word and was reminded of things and people that I didn’t want to think of. My heart, it was hurting.

“I’ll see you in an hour,” I stated flatly and hung up the phone.
Though I really shouldn’t have taken my sadness out on DongHae, I couldn’t help it. I think I already miss him… and I don’t mean DongHae. Oh, what am I saying? You’re pathetic, BoA. Shut up.

“Where are you going?” Yoochun’s voice suddenly pierced through my mind and I quickly snapped back. To be honest, I almost forget that he was right next to me.

“Oh, um, my friend wanted me to help out with an important project so I’ve got to get ready to go, sorry,” I explained, and if DongHae hadn’t mentioned that word, I would probably be more excited than how I looked right now.

“No problem,” Yoochun replied and pursed his lips. “Do you think you’ll be back for dinner?”
I looked at Yoochun, feeling bad for not really being here despite physically standing by his side. “Um.. I don’t know yet, but you don’t have to worry about me. I’ll grab something to eat on the way home if anything.”

To be honest, he seemed kind of disappointed. Darn, I’m such a bad friend.
“…Or if you don’t mind waiting for me, I’ll come back and eat… if that’s okay with you..”
And darn, my guilty conscience.
Yoochun’s lips opened into a grin. “Okay, I’ll wait.”
I smiled back at him with all my heart. “Thanks.”

∫Track 05

I took my time to get ready since I had an hour, stuffing my bag with some sweats that I fortunately had left over with me from the ski trip. Having to change into something comfortable to dance in reminded me that I should probably head back home some time soon to pick up some more clothes.

I walked down the hall trying to find out where Yoochun was so I could ask him if he could me the favor of driving me home for a while tomorrow.

“Yoochun?” I called his name, wondering if he was in any of these nearby rooms, and amazingly I had found him without trying too hard.

His back was facing me through the glass door and I could see him sitting at a black piano, already playing. A small smile spread on my lips and I was about to turn the door handle until –

I heard that melody.



Why Did I End Up Falling For You?

---------------------------------
AN: ahhhh very very sorry that this update arrived so late! I had some trouble thinking of how I should write it and how the story should go from here. tbh I didn't plan for Boa to confess! (*O*) and I mean, of course I had/have a general master plan in the back of my head of the storyline, but many ideas for the story pop up as I'm in the writing process and it takes me here and there. I'm feeling that the direction the story is heading is swaying from what I intended it to be like two years ago! (I can't believe that I started this story in January 2009!!!) so now I'm wondering whether I should stick to my original intention or change it (^^*) we shall see! but now another dun-dun-dun moment has occurred! what do you awesome readers think will happen next? ah also with school and stuff I've been really absorbed into my work, so I apologize in advance for the slower updates. I really really try to write when I can, honest! hopefully I can keep it up! I don't think I can give replies right now or as often, but I will try to catch up when I do have the time (; please keep reading, commenting and supporting! it means a lot ♡ happy valentine's day!!! (I can already see you guys throwing rocks at me for not including Jaejoong in this one T___T mianhae!!!!!) btw THANK YOU FOR THE COMMENTS DEARS, MUAHHHH~

❥ I LOVE YOU GUYS! HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! EVEN THOUGH I CAN'T PERSONALLY REPLY TO EVERYONE ALL THE TIME, KNOW THAT I'VE READ ALL YOUR AMAZING COMMENTS, HAD TONS OF SMILES AND LAUGHS, AND SINCERELY LOVE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU! THANK YOU XOXO ♡
谢谢! 감사합니다! ありがとう! Gracias! (;