Album No. 28

Play the Keys to My Heart

Album No. 28

∫ Track 01

Was he being serious right now?

I eyed JaeJoong’s back view as we walked into his house after being driven home by the chauffeur. Right when we got picked up at the corner of Ongaku and got into the limo, he slipped on a white mask covering the lower half of his face.

YEAH - just like one of those masks that those doctors in the medical shows put on in the operation room.

Was he that concerned about avoiding another kiss with me?!

“Yah!” I yelled at him when we entered the mansion but of course the infamous Kim JaeJoong ignored me and simply strolled into another room. The maid stole a glance at me and I smiled weakly at her. I then bowed apologetically until she walked away. Letting out a puff of air, I plopped down on the couch in the living room.

At first I thought it was cute that he was being all embarrassed but now he’s just being mean! Perhaps he really regretted the whole thing… Aigoo, was I the only one who liked it? Our accidental kiss… Sigh..

I tossed my bag beside me in a fit but of course I can’t even get angry without being punished. I hissed and held my poor wrist towards my chest. JaeJoong totally violated it. Stupid guy.

I glanced up hearing the door swing and shot the-root-of-my-problems a glare. I dropped my hands by my side and stood up.

“Where did you go just now?” I asked in my harsh tone and he distinctly stared at my wrist. I hid both my hands behind my back. “Wha-what are you looking at me like that for?”

He flattened his eyes and stepped towards me grabbing the very hand he hurt.
“Aish~” I screeched and he had me sit down in front of him. As if he were Doraemon he pulled out a first aid kit, opening it and taking out a roll of cloth.

He picked up my hand again, this time carefully, and left it hanging in mid-air.
“Don’t move,” he mumbled from behind that mask and I puffed up my cheeks, watching him unroll the cloth to a certain length. He cut it with scissors that he got from the kit and then bandaged my wrist for me.

Something then clicked in my mind. It totally reminded me of a time long ago when he got hurt because of me and I did the same for him. My lips rose into a smile without warning as I watched him tie the little knot.

“Ah…th-thank you~” I muttered softly and he snapped the kit shut making me flinch. He then tossed the kit on the table and tilted his head towards the stairs.

“…Your room?” I asked and he nodded. We both got up and I grabbed my bag off the couch, following him up the staircase.

I didn’t know why I didn’t think about this before but we were going to his room. Like, me, a girl and JaeJoong, a boy, we, together were going to his room. My face suddenly burned up from the thought. But um, I-I guess this was normal nowadays being in the 21st century and all. Tch, I’m not old-fashioned or anything. It’s perfectly normal. Okay.

I glanced at JaeJoong’s back as we entered his room and bit my lip. Since he doesn’t think anything of it, I shouldn’t either.

∫ Track 02

I sat there at JaeJoong’s desk tapping the end of pen on the surface, watching him read the textbook. The entire time that I was tutoring him he was quiet and either nodded or shook his head to what I had to say. This weird silence was getting so bad that I just wanted to rip that mask off his face.

“Why?” I questioned softly and JaeJoong looked up probably surprised by my abrupt question.
“…Why what?” he muttered and I looked down at my lap.

“Why are you wearing that mask?” I finally asked, unable to contain the feelings and curiosity anymore.
“Why?” I repeated, looking up at him and stared right at his dark chocolate eyes.

“…Don’t worry about it,” JaeJoong uttered and then quickly turned his attention back to the book.

Well. I gave him a chance.

Without JaeJoong expecting it, I reached over and snatched the mask off. Before he was able to cover it, I saw a purplish bruise at the corner of his mouth.

“What happened?!” I immediately blurted out as he got out of his chair and backed away, holding his face. I tried to get near to take a closer look but he wouldn’t let me.

“Yah! Give it back!” JaeJoong yelled, reaching his hand out for the mask back. I held it behind me not letting him have it.
“Tell me what happened first!” I shouted back worriedly and then we reversed directions with him coming at me.

“God, pabo. It’s nothing! I told you it’s nothing to worry about!” he yelled and snatched the mask away from my hands. I gasped, feeling it slip away and I jumped at him trying to get it again.
“Yah, stop it already!” JaeJoong scolded as he held the mask high above his head so that I couldn’t reach. To prevent me from climbing up on the chair and desk, he pressed his other hand on my shoulder and because of this I was able to see the bruise on his face clearly.

So it wasn’t just because of the kiss.

A bunch of questions whizzed past my mind.
Who did this to him? When did it happen? Where? Why?

“JaeJoong…” I said sadly, biting my lip as I stared at him. He then covered the injury again and turned his head to the side. I grabbed his forearm, moving his hand from his face and brought my hand gently on his cheek.

“Who did it?” I asked in a soft voice, feeling my heart heavy in my chest. It was obvious that someone hurt him. JaeJoong shut his eyes and on his teeth when I ran my thumb over the tender spot.

“Nobody..” he answered, clenching his teeth and shutting his eyes tight. Liar… it must have hurt a lot. “It’s stupid. I… I walked into a pole, okay? I didn’t want you to see it and make fun of me or something. It’s embarrassing.”

I shook my head. “No way. Someone hurt you,” I insisted but JaeJoong was quick to counter.
“No. I walked – into – a – pole,” he emphasized and then I twisted my knuckle into his bruise. JaeJoong yelped.

“OWWWW- what the—!”
“That’s for lying!” I shouted and watched him hold his face with both hands. “Now tell me the truth!”

JaeJoong didn’t respond and crouched down to the floor, complaining about the pain.
I picked him up by the collar and raised my fist to his face. “Hurry up or I’m going to do it again~!”

“GEUN SUK!” JaeJoong yelled, as if it was the first name that popped into his head. “It was Jang Geun Suk who went after me and made me like this! Are you happy now? IT HURTS!” I then released his collar and let him whine some more.

Even though he said it was Geun Suk, something about that answer wasn’t believable but- I guess it was the only response that made sense. As far as I know, JaeJoong didn’t have any enemies. Then again, who am I to say? There’s a lot that I didn’t know about him. God, what to believe..

My eyes then lit up. “You said you handled him last time. Why is he going after you again after so long?” I asked and JaeJoong looked baffled.
“How in the world should I know? It was a surprise attack and I wasn’t ready!” JaeJoong argued. With his mouth hanging open, he then touched his index finger very lightly over the bruise.

He scowled, while mumbling. “This stupid thing makes my handsome face lose its appeal…”

I shook my head at the fact that he was still able to joke at a time like this. I sighed. “Wait here.”

“Where are you going?” he asked as I strode over to the door.
“I’m going to get that first aid kit, dummy,” I told him and was on my way downstairs.

∫ Track 03

“Please do come in,” I heard the maid say when I was at the middle of the staircase. I shrugged thinking that it might have been a person that had come over to fix the pipes or something but it turned out-

“Thank you~” Junsu said cheerfully as always and I widened my eyes at his presence as he did mine.

“Junsu! What are you doing here?” I called out, surprised that he would come over. Then again, it wasn’t so surprising after all.

“Oh hey BoA,” he casually greeted and walked in with a clear box. Inside I could see cute little cupcakes of colorful and elaborate designs. “I came to deliver some of these that my mom baked for JaeJoong and his parents. Also to personally invite Kim Ahjumma and Ahjussi to my birthday party.”

I rounded my lips and nodded. “Oh~”

“How’s the tutoring and piano business going on?” Junsu smiled and we walked around the living room to sit at the couches for a while.

I scratched the back of my head. “Uh… it’s okay…” I answered. I wasn’t sure if I should tell him about what just happened upstairs with the revelation that JaeJoong was hurt and all.

Out of nowhere Junsu started laughing that oddly unique and addicting laugh of his.

“Wh-what?” I asked him, confused with the way he was staring at me.
“Haha no, it’s just that this feels very much like you and YoungWoongie Hyung are a couple. Married even,” Junsu remarked and I didn’t need to see it to know that my face burned up to about a million degrees. “And I’m like I’m visiting at your house to see how the married life is going and you guys are living together and-”

I smacked him on the arm and yelled, “Junsu!”
The box of cupcakes in his hands nearly fell onto the floor.

“Oh my god!” Junsu panted as he managed to save the cupcakes from death. We both stared at each other with large eyes. “We’re lucky!”
“Gosh, why don’t you just put them down on the table!” I told him and he quickly set it on the table before another accident was to happen. He should have done that in the first place.

“Whew, good save right?” he asked proudly and I just narrowed my eyes at him. “Anyway as I was saying-” He sure did jump back to the topic quite fast…

“You and YoungWoongie Hyung act more like a couple than LiYin and I do. It’s so funny,” Junsu continued chuckling, folding his arms behind his head, leaning back on the couch and putting his leg up on the other. “I wouldn’t be surprised if you two already kissed.”

“EH?” I stammered, standing up so that I was peering down at him. What’s with that all of a sudden?!
“Omo,” Junsu then sat up straightly and pointed at my face seriously. “Don’t tell me that I guessed that one right.”

I averted my gaze from him and covered both my cheeks in shyness. What will JaeJoong say if he finds out I told Junsu?! WAIT NO. I didn’t tell him! He found out by himself!

“Yah~~” Junsu started cheering and laughing and clapping his hands in excitement. “You really did? Really?”

I turned back at him and didn’t answer. Hopefully he will get it by himself so that I didn’t have to confirm it. Denying it wouldn’t be an option either. It was too obvious. He was already hooked on the idea and once someone was hooked an idea it was hard to get it out their brain.

“You know that would be Hyung’s first kiss right?”

I quickly spun around and went all wide-eyed on Junsu. “W-WHAT…?!”

Junsu didn’t jump like I expected but sat there with a very serious face. “Yeah. He’s never kissed a girl before. I mean sure, he’s a good looking guy with a lot of girls who like him and stuff but he’s never really gotten close to any of them. He’s never dated, never kissed. None of that kind of stuff.”

Junsu’s eyes slowly narrowed in thought and I watched, speechless at the new information, as he his chin.
“Hmm… I wonder if it was okay for me to say that…” he said aloud and LiYin couldn’t have picked more of a genius as a boyfriend. Nonetheless I was very happy at everything that he was revealing. I never really had the time or the right moment to just sit and talk to Junsu. Maybe he had more JaeJoong secrets to share!

I sat back down at Junsu’s side and smiled excitedly. “JaeJoong really never had a girlfriend before?”
Junsu shook his head. “Nope.” But I found it quite hard to believe.
“Really. Like not even a girl he dated for a week? A day? An hour?”
Junsu shook his head to all three. “Definitely not. First of all he wouldn’t do that. YoungWoongie Hyung isn’t that kind of guy and second of all, it counts even if it’s for an hour?”

I ignored the question and decided to get a move on before JaeJoong realized that I was taking too long.
“So definitely no girlfriend?”
Junsu confirmed. “Definitely not.” He then tilted his head to the side and tapped a finger on his lips. “Well actually~ the only time he mentioned a girlfriend was that time when-”

Aha! So there WAS somebody-

“He said that you were.”

A hundred butterflies exploded in my stomach... I swear. I knew that Junsu was referring to the ‘pretty girlfriend’ phase but to think that I was the only one he even considered calling ‘girlfriend.’ Oh my gosh~

Ah what else should I ask? There was so much to go on!

“So you know about DongHae right?” I questioned and Junsu gave me a nod. “Do you know why JaeJoong .. hates him so much?”

Junsu then winced at me and pulled away. “Erm… actually I think that might be something Hyung would totally get mad at me for saying. The other stuff is kind of minor. I mean he never told me that I shouldn’t say it but if you want to talk about DongHae… the story gets kind of long and-”

“Pabo-yah. What is taking you-”
Both Junsu and I stood up, widening our eyes at JaeJoong who had come down the stairs. I knew we’d get caught eventually. I just hope that he didn’t hear any of our conversation.

“Junsu?” JaeJoong asked in surprise and then quickly put the back of his hand to his mouth covering the bruise. “What’s going on? What are you doing here?”

“Oh, um, I just came over to uh deliver some er, cupcakes,” Junsu answered in broken speech and scratched the back of his neck. “Yup. That’s why I’m here. You know~ delivering. Cupcakes. Over there~ on the table..heh.”

JaeJoong made his way towards us though keeping a distance from Junsu. I guess that he hadn’t told Junsu about the bruise yet and didn’t want him to find out right now either.

“Okay…” JaeJoong answered and then caught my hand. “Well we still have to study and stuff like that so are you going to stay?”

Junsu immediately shook his head. “Oh. No, no. I’ll leave you two alone,” he smiled, giving me a private wink. “Just um give this invitation to Ahjumma for me. My mom made her a special one.”

“Mm, okay. Leave it on the table with the cupcakes,” JaeJoong stated and Junsu placed the envelope neatly on top of the box.

“I’ll talk to you later then Hyung~ see you BoA.” Junsu bid farewell to us with a huge grin and left the house right away.

I stared back at JaeJoong who was still holding onto my hand. It had almost become a strange habit but- I wasn’t one to complain.

“I was wondering what took you so long just to get a first aid kit,” JaeJoong said to me as he reached over and grabbed the white box. “And look, now I’m even getting it for myself which totally defeats the purpose of you getting it for me.”

“Well who told you to wait for so long,” I grumbled back as he dragged me with him back upstairs.
“Really? That’s your defense?” He scoffed as I stuck my tongue out at the back of his head. Suddenly I remembered that I was his first kiss and then smiled goofily. Oh how fast my feelings change and it’s all because of this dummy.

“Pabo,” he laughed and somehow made my heart beat faster. Ah, it has come to the point that almost anything he did does.

We returned to his room and went to his desk to raid the first aid kit for some bruise-caring medicine.

“So what were you and Junsu talking about?” JaeJoong suddenly interrogated and I said the first thing that came to mind.
“His birthday!” I answered a bit too excitedly and then gave him a nervous smile. “I um, was just asking about details to his birthday party. Ah and I wasn’t sure what I was going to get him for a present either…” Wow, that was a great save if I do say so myself.

“Yeah? I was thinking about that too,” JaeJoong mumbled as he read the back of a bottle of medicine. He then hissed and touched his fingers over the wound. “Aish~ damn that Jang Geun Suk…”

He took a pill out of the tiny bottle and popped it into his mouth. I passed him a glass of water he already had on his desk and he gulped it down.

“Hey,” I called at him, looking at him softly and he gazed back at me with wonder.
“What?”
“…Can you close your eyes for a minute?” I asked randomly and JaeJoong scoffed at my question.
“Because?”
“Just- just do it~” I stated and he huffed.
“What do you mean just do it? What if you poke my bruise until I scream out in pain again? If you are, I’m not going to close my eyes. It’s too dangerous,” JaeJoong said with his hands flying up to protect his face.
“No~” I said, half-laughing at his silliness. “Even if I was going to do that, I wouldn’t TELL you, genius. Just shut your mouth and close your eyes.”

JaeJoong blinked at me with doubt at first but then slowly closed them.
My heart raced like crazy when I leaned forward and pecked him on his cheek.

Immediately JaeJoong’s eyes shot open and his hand hurried to his face, covering the spot I kissed. No matter what he took the punch for or who he took it from, I knew it was because of me and for that I was thankful.

JaeJoong’s face cutely turned to a darker pink and he didn’t say anything against my expectations. Maybe because this time it wasn’t an accident.

At that moment I really wanted to confess. I wanted to tell him that he was the one that I liked and that I wanted to be his girlfriend. His first girlfriend. My heart was beating so fast that even when I parted my lips to utter a word I couldn’t. I couldn’t do it. I’ve never done it. This was so much harder than DongHae said it would be!

“…So~ what about those piano lessons?” I laughed nervously and just wanted to disappear. Why did I even do that? The wave of regret is now drowning me. I hung my head down so that I couldn’t see his face anymore. It was getting embarrassing that he wasn’t answering.

“Y-yeah,” he suddenly breathed out and I held my hands to my chest so that my heart wouldn’t fall out. “Um, let’s go to the piano room.”

I glanced up at JaeJoong and I was surprised that he was acting so normal. Maybe he understood my intention of thanking him. Ah. What a relief.

He then cleared his throat and got up from his chair to go out.
I was about to follow but noticed his mask on the desk.
“Ah, do you need this?” I asked, holding up the mask in front of me.

I don’t know why but JaeJoong smiled the most precious smile I had ever seen. He shook his head.
“No. I’m fine now.”

The inner me just did a back flip.

“…Oh,” I nodded.
“Race you down, pabo!” JaeJoong suggested with a laugh and slipped out of the room before I could even register the words in my head.

I smiled brightly, looking at the mask in my hand. Then slipping it in my pocket, I chased after him.

No matter how long it takes, no matter how hard it is going to be I will always chase after you, JaeJoong.

∫ Track 04

Honestly how could I have focused at all when the most perfect man was sitting right next to me after I kissed him and he was acting so naturally? It was almost unfair how nonchalantly he was acting but at least he didn’t say he didn’t like it. Hehe.

“BoA this part is important,” JaeJoong noted, circling a section on the music sheet. He did a double-take at me and I only stared at him day-dreaming. “Hey. Are you paying any attention or what?”

“…Ha?” I blinked at him innocently and JaeJoong flattened his gaze.

“Yah, be more serious pabo. The competition is no joke and you know how much you need to practice,” he stated and I pouted.

“Yeah… I know…” I grumbled and let out a sigh. The only reason why I was still putting up with this is because of that London package. I seriously want to go!

I scooted closer to JaeJoong to give the sheets a scan. I smiled when he didn’t move away. I guess he was out of his don’t-get-close-to-me phase.

“This song looks hard…” I complained as usual and then he hit me over the head with a roll of papers.

“No it’s not,” JaeJoong stated in a firm tone. “Stop giving up so quickly. Canon in D major by Pachelbel is one of the easier songs to play.” {For reference: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8sQx9GF-x_I }

I perked up in my seat, brightening my face with interest. “Ah really? That’s good… but would it be too easy for the competition?”

“Why? Do you want to take on something harder?” JaeJoong paused to snicker. “I think you’re going to rank last place if the piece gets any more difficult than this.”

“But you said it was easy~” I repeated.
“Easy for me, difficult for you,” he answered and then flipped to the next sheet. “Let me see what else we should be careful for…”

“Hey.” I poked him in the arm and leaned my hand on my cheek, smiling at him. “What song are you doing?”

JaeJoong snorted a laugh. “Pft. Why? Trying to steal information from your rival?”
“No~ I just want to know~”

JaeJoong sighed at me and dropped his pencil on the ledge. “Get up for a sec.”
Without questioning him, I stood up and he lifted the piano bench fetching his papers.

After he gathered all the sheets he closed it and he sat down again while I stood by the side. He spread the music across the stand and I read the title – Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement.

“Beethoven?” I asked looking at him for confirmation and he smirked.
“Clever,” he complimented and I beamed proudly. Even if I could barely play this stuff I still managed to know a thing or two about some of the compositions and their composers.

I watched JaeJoong as he position his fingers on the keys and his foot at the pedal.
“Wait, are you going to play it?” I gasped and he gave a small chortle.
“Wasn’t this your intention?” JaeJoong shot back playfully and then started to play.

{ http://www.youtube.c...h?v=mno4XgJJeNk }

Once he started, I was immediately into his world. I couldn’t explain it at all. The feelings that I was having, watching him play. It was just indescribable. I didn’t know what it was or how JaeJoong did it but he managed to capture me every time. Every – single – time. Like my heart starts to beat to his rhythm and only his. My eyes are stuck on the passionate expressions on his face. And - I couldn’t breathe. It was like –

He played the keys to my heart.

Without warning, JaeJoong stopped and gazed at me.
“That’s all you get to hear, rival,” he stated with an amused grin on his face. He then stood up and walked by me, ruffling my hair. “You’re too sly, Kwon BoA. Too sly.”

I blushed and watched his back as he walked out of the room.
Sly? I’m sly? What the heck does that mean?

“Ah. Wait! What about my song? Yah, JaeJoong!”
~~

AN: A-Yo! I'm glad for all the love & comments that I have been receiving. You guys are too awesome, hehe~ just wanted to say THANK YOU!! This chapter was kind of written casually so I don't even know if it is that great of an update, also because I feel like not too much happened... but a few important things did lol. (I finally addressed the going to his room thing haha) ah, I was also disappointed that I didn't get to include Junsu's party yet but hopefully I can write that part out soon. I really hope that you enjoyed reading and the end was kind of like a bonus scene to me haha. I originally intended to end the chapter earlier but then it felt too short so I added the 'He played the keys to my heart' scene (key point of the story?) and as a sneak peek of their piano lesson. I realized that I hadn't really written much about what they did piano/music-wise, even when the story was supposed to revolve around music XD so yeah there you go~ hope you guys liked it! this chapter was easier to write than the last one, hehe. hope to see your comments! ♡