Album No. 32

Play the Keys to My Heart

Album No. 32

∫Track 01
“Wait.”

I spun around to his call and the next thing I knew, JaeJoong dragged me back inside the house and closed the door.

“W-what?” I asked him with a puzzled face. I was already nervous about my mom finding out about this whole sleepover thing and now, by the way he was closely staring at me.

“Your mom is going to get really mad at you,” JaeJoong finally realized. Geez it took him a whole night and the morning to figure it out. I narrowed my eyes at him and stuck my tongue out. He didn’t have to remind me.

“What if we can’t see each other again?” JaeJoong asked with an anxious voice and I looked back at him with surprise. His eyes look genuinely worried and only then did the thought cross my mind. Yeah, what if?

JaeJoong unexpectedly lunged at me, attacking me with a strong hug, his chin squeezing down on my shoulder. “What am I going to do without you?” My heart skipped and I couldn’t believe that he was saying this. Was he… going to miss me? Surely, he couldn’t have had an ulterior meaning this time –

“I need to pass my tests BoA! You can’t stop tutoring me now!” JaeJoong whined and of course, I spoke too soon.

I let out a frustrated sigh and pushed him off. Stupid Kim JaeJoong.
“Whatever! Do it yourself!” I snapped at him and then slung my bag over my shoulder, ready to leave.

Just as I reached for the doorknob, it struck me a second time that perhaps this may really be our last meeting. Will this be how we part?

“Is this really how you’re going to say goodbye?”

I turned around again and gazed back at his serious expression. JaeJoong looked like he really didn’t want me to leave… I didn’t want to leave either.

I furrowed my eyebrows and pouted, wanting to run back into the hug that I just pushed out of. Why am I always so wishy-washy about my feelings? UGH.

JaeJoong suddenly smirked and then grabbed hold of my hand as he so loved to do. I didn’t know what he was up to but we ran out together towards the car. It also wasn’t really the moment to point it out but JaeJoong was running outside in slippers. Pft~

“Y-yah, what are you doing?!” I shouted at him as I was caught with worrying what my parents will say. I don’t know what it was but I just felt so happy, just like this.

My worries didn’t hit me until we got up to the car and I watched with fear crawling up my spine as JaeJoong bowed. The car window slowly rolled down and I saw my dad. At least it wasn’t my mom… yet.

“Oh, JaeJoong. Good to see you,” my dad greeted and I think the both of us were taken by surprise. It was cute how flustered JaeJoong looked by my father’s casual greeting, like everything was normal. He glanced back at me, blinking and then turned back to my dad.

“Um, good to see you too, sir..” JaeJoong replied with a nod of his head. “..But um, Mr. Kwon, I actually wanted to ex-“

“Oh, no need JaeJoong. I heard everything from your mother already. Don’t worry, I understand.”

See, this is why I loved my dad.

“A-Appa,” I called and my dad stuck his head out of the window, giving me a normal look. I tried to peek into the car a bit but I couldn’t see anything clearly, “..Is Omma…I mean does she..”

My dad put a finger over his lips, shaking his head and I was so relieved. I caught JaeJoong smiling at me and I smiled back. Yes!

“Omma doesn’t know about this at all so um, let’s make it a secret yeah?” my dad suggested.
“Of course!” JaeJoong and I shouted together and we exchanged glances.

“Well, uh, thanks for… everything,” I said after the moment subsided. I gazed down at my shoes and swallowed. I was getting nervous again.

JaeJoong responded with a single nod and turned to my dad, “Goodbye Mr. Kwon.” My dad returned the farewell and then he faced me. “I’ll see you at school… pabo.” He whispered the last part, smiling as he pinched my nose and then dashed back into the house before I could react.

Damn it. I was melting even when he just insulted me. That face… that smile… why does he have to look so good? Why do I have to like it so much? And why was I blushing so shamelessly in front of my dad?

I coughed uncomfortably, tearing my eyes away from watching JaeJoong’s back as he disappeared inside the house and hopped into the car so that we could finally go home.

∫Track 02
My dad started driving and from the rearview mirror I saw that he looked fairly amused. I think it’s a good sign but it’s making me embarrassed!

If I could blush any harder, I did.

My dad chuckled and I couldn’t help it in me but to shoot him a pouted expression.
“A girl in love looks extraordinarily beautiful, they say,” he continued and I bit down on my lip, staring at his reflection. “Now I understand what they mean.”

I looked out the window nonchalantly as if I wasn’t paying attention but really those words struck at my core and I was really happy. JaeJoong’s smile was stuck in my head and I just wish…

“I like him,” my dad suddenly pronounced and I perked up at his comment. “JaeJoong knows how to take responsibility, even when he didn’t need to explain,” my dad chuckled and I felt a sensation of pride swell in me. Yeah, that’s my kind of guy~

“BoA, I’m sorry.”

I looked at my dad’s downcast expression and I too frowned. Why all of a sudden- “Appa…”

“You’re such a good daughter BoA. As your parents we should support your decision and yet we’ve trapped you in an agreement you did not make. BoA, Appa is really sorry.” This only made me feel worse.

“Seeing you today, the way you were with JaeJoong and the way he wanted to immediately protect you... I better understand what you are going through…”
Am I that obvious?

“Despite what it seems like I really do want you to be happy so if there is anything that I can do about the marriage… I will try my best,” my dad assured me and I was completely moved.

My dad stopped the car in front of the house and I gave him a hug from behind the driver’s seat. “Thank you Appa~” I sang and pressed my cheek on his. He laughed, patting me on the arm that I hung around his neck.

“Okay. So let’s tell your mother about that sleepover at LiYin’s house.” My dad winked at me and I giggled, winking back. This was the beginning of a wonderful secret-ship.

∫Track 03

“LiYin’s house?” my mom questioned as I told her the story. I followed her around the living room as she walked around with her violin trying to find the best spot for the acoustics.

“Yeah,” I said confidently and then I realized that my outfit was JaeJoong’s clothes! “AND SHE DIDN’T HAVE SPARE PAJAMAS SO I HAD TO WEAR HER BROTHER’S!”

My mom gave me a look, making my heart race for all the bad reasons. “Your mother is not deaf, you don’t have to scream.”

I smiled nervously at her, scratching the back of my head. Phew, what a close one. I’ve never been more glad that LiYin had a brother…

“Sorry, I was um, helping you test out the um, acoustics you know,” I claimed but she barely paid attention to me as she twisted the knobs on the violin to tune it.

“Mhm… okay,” she muttered and I sighed, smiling and feeling good. I never thought that it would be this simple.

Life is great!

∫Track 04
The party and the sleepover never came up again since that day.

I mean I wasn’t complaining but it was weird that we didn’t talk about it. Because if we don’t talk about it, it only makes it feel like everything that happened was a dream.

(“What if we can’t see each other again?”)

Something in my heart fluttered and I held in my breath.
“Pabo-yah~” JaeJoong chimed in my ear and poked the side of my head with the end of his pencil. “What do you keep thinking of? I need help with this, dude.”

We were at his house again, studying hard for the finals that we were having this week. And to answer his question first of all, I was idiotically thinking of you. Secondly-

“Kim JaeJoong, did you just – did you just call me a dude?” I shot at him, blinking rapidly and he snorted a laugh.
“Yeah… what’s with the reaction?” he answered and then gave me that teasing look.

“Hm, and you don’t say anything when I call you baby?”
My eye twitched. I was dumbfounded.

“Oh baby~” he sang and then went back to scribbling on his notebook. My face still heated up like no other and I just cleared my throat, trying to change the subject.

“Let me see,” I stated, tugging the papers towards me. I widened my eyes once I saw what he accomplished. “You … you didn’t do any of it!?”

JaeJoong gave me a sheepish grin. “Well I was ~trying~ to get your attention but you kept zoning out,” he argued. “Isn’t it your job to get me to do this? Pity. You’re not doing very well, sonsaengnim.”

I glared at him and raised my fist above his head threatening to knock him out. Surely he wasn’t all that scared but pretended to be. “Dude, you can’t be thinking about ruining this face are you?”
“What did you call me?” I shouted at him while shaking my tightly clenched fist.
JaeJoong grinned and brought my hand down calmly. He held mine in his left and picked up his pencil.

“Okay, okay. No more playing, let’s get to work,” he claimed and I continued to stare at him with doubt. This guy…

“..Eh?! How do you say this in English? I forgot,” JaeJoong asked with the cutest clueless boy face in the world. He put his hands up to his face, pouting at the question sheet and unintentionally put the back of my hand on his cheek. It was so… warm.

How unfair.

I gulped and pulled my hand away out of his. As much as I liked him, I only wanted him to hold me this way when he’s serious about me.

I stared at him waiting for a reaction afterwards, maybe to see him confused or something, but it seemed like he barely noticed. He glanced at me and then shook me on the shoulder. “Answer, pabo~~”

What was I expecting really… Sigh.

For a while I didn’t answer and we both grew quiet.

“Yah… are you mad?” JaeJoong asked smartly and I simply sighed. Well I wasn’t actually angry or anything but... “Hey. If you don’t want me to tease you, I won’t okay?”

I tucked my lips in and looked to the floor. I didn’t know what’s wrong with me. Why am I like this? I’m being childish.

Suddenly, JaeJoong crouched down towards the ground, appearing under my gaze with his fingers pulling his eye bags down and stuck out lower lip in a sad pout. “Ugly, right?”

I glared at him, wondering why he was making fun of himself. Was it to make me laugh?

“This is how you look like right now,” JaeJoong added, chuckling.
“What!?” I grabbed a folder off his desk and whacked him over his head. I eventually came to laugh when he hissed in pain.

JaeJoong slowly extended his legs, standing up as he massaged his head. “So me getting hurt makes you laugh, huh?”
“You were asking for it!” I exclaimed, watching him sit in his chair.
“Yeah, well as long as you’re happy,” JaeJoong said and flashed me a cool smile.
Did I hit him on the head too hard? I was flustered. Darn his handsome looks.

“C-c-can we study already?” I asked, turning back towards the desk and shuffled through the papers.
“Be glad to,” he stated and from the corner of my eye, I saw that smirk.

∫Track 05
The next few days were just crammed with studying and taking tests. Oh how I hate it when the teachers pile every last minute assignment possible on us and expects us to do a good job on all of them. I mean I always manage to pull it off but still, it’s just not right!

“I’m so tired…” I complained as I walked alongside LiYin to lunch.
“Me too. How many more tests do you have?” she asked looking a bit drained. Finals week is the only time LiYin ever loses her bubbliness. “I have my last two tomorrow...”
“I have one.. but I’ve got to finish a paper too,” I told her and we sat at our usual table.

We leaned our cheeks on our hands and sighed. “I’m seriously about to take a nap right now,” LiYin said with our eyelids drooping just a bit.
“Hm, well at least after tomorrow you’ll soon be going away for the Christmas break with Junsu,” I smiled at her and her lips curled up.

“You know, JaeJoong is going too,” LiYin added and I was surprised though I stuck out my tongue. Hmph, he never mentioned it to me…
“So?” I acted coolly even when this was new news but LiYin only laughed and nudged me with whatever energy she had left.
“So you should so come along with us of course.”

I immediately shook my head. I mean I appreciated the invite but, “I don’t know what my parents have planned this year yet. It’s Christmas after all.. speaking of, what are you getting Junsu? Actually, are you even planning to get something for JaeJoong?”
“That’s something that I should ask you, missy,” LiYin teased and I narrowed my eyes at her.
“Seriously,” I urged and she smiled with her twinkling eyes.

“Hmmm I don’t know if Junsu’ll like it but.. I’m thinking of getting us couple rings,” she whispered. Aww~
“Really?” I questioned and LiYin shyly nodded. I smiled. “I’m sure he’ll love it LiYin.”
She responded with a full grin, that happy that I always relied on from my best friend. “Thanks, I hope so!”

She hugged my arm and leaned on my shoulder. “As for JaeJoong…” LiYin suddenly brought up and I looked at her. “I think Junsu and I will get him something he’ll really like.”
“Like?” I wondered, raising my eyebrows at her mischievous smile.
“Hm…we’re not sure if we can but if we do, you’ll see,” LiYin winked and I could only imagine what that was.
“So you’re not telling me what it i-”
“What are you getting him?” she cut in and for a moment I was stunned.

“Eh, why? …Do you think I need to get him something?”
“No, no~ no need but I just think it’ll make him very happy,” LiYin remarked. Will it now? “Besides he’s actually given you a lot of things if you think about. Have you ever bought something for him?”

I furrowed my eyebrows and thought really hard. As far as I know Jaejoong’s given me a Hello Kitty folder.. a CD with a song he wrote.. a necklace.. a dress.. and I’ve gotten him- “Nothing that I can remember.”

LiYin laughed. “So you should buy him a present! I bet he’ll like anything, as long as it’s from you.”
I tapped a finger on my chin. “How do you know that for sure? He seems like the picky type.”
“Oh stop doubting yourself, BoA. Who knows JaeJoong better than you?” LiYin asked.
I stared at LiYin super seriously and pointed, “Junsu.”

LiYin hung her head down in defeat. “…That’s not… what I meant… I mean just go with your gut. You’ll come across something and realize, ‘oh that’s perfect for him’ like that.”
“Hm, fine,” I stated. “I’ll figure it on the weekend.”

LiYin beamed. “Great! And by the way are your parents home? You think I can stop by really quickly after school? It’s been a while since I’ve visited them.”
“Seriously? You want to see my parents?” I laughed at her and she nodded.
“Yeah, is that okay?”
“Um, I guess so,” I responded, completely unaware of the things she had planned.

∫Track 06
“Oh wait, you’re not meeting up with JaeJoong today?” LiYin asked as we walked into my house. I closed the door and spun around.
“Pft, now you’re asking that?” I laughed at her as we threw our bags on the couch. “I told him that I’ve got a paper so he’s on his own.”
“Ah, so I see,” LiYin replied and sat down.

“Oh, wait. He’s not going to be on his own,” she added with a look or realization.
“..What do you mean?” I asked with my heart throbbing.

LiYin stared at me for a while as I stared at her and then she busted out laughing. “Oh my, you should see the look on your face! Aha, don’t worry it’s not like you’re being replaced by a girl or anything. It’s Junsu. I just remembered him saying something about JaeJoong going to his house. Now it makes sense.”

“Oh,” I blushed. How dumb of me to get all worried. “Yeah well, whatever. He can get a replacement all he wants. It’s not important to me.”
“Mhm~” LiYin sang with that teasing eye of hers.

I smacked her lightly on the lap, changing the subject.
“Yah! What are you even doing here? You never answered me in class.”
“Right now? I’m waiting for your parents,” she responded, smiling as bright as the sun.
I narrowed my eyes. “Uh huh… I still don’t get it. Why do you-”
“You’ll find out as soon as they’re here,” LiYin winked. The doorbell rang and LiYin jumped to her feet. “And now they’re here!”

She opened the door for my mom and dad, who were surprised at her presence.
“Hi, ahjumma, ahjussi!” she greeted with a bow and they smiled at her.
“Ah hello, LiYin,” my mom spoke first, patting my best friend on the shoulder. “Nice to see you around the house again.”
“Likewise,” she answered and offered a hand. “Do you need help ahjussi?”
“Oh no, it’s fine,” my dad told her as he was carrying both my mom and his own violin cases.

“Omma, Appa,” I called and they returned the greeting. Both of them came in and sat across from me in the living room.
“Is there something that we need to talk about?” my mom asked and she had a scary look in her gaze. A drop of sweat rolled down the side of my face. I looked to my dad who looked completely clueless.

“Actually I had something to ask ahjumma and ahjussi about,” LiYin announced with her hand cutely raised in the air. Of course my mom smiles at her..
LiYin cleared . “I’m planning to go on a skiing trip during the winter holiday,” she said and we all focused our attention on her. “I wanted to ask if it was okay if I brought BoA along with me.”

My eyes shot wide open and gave my friend a look of warning. Is she really asking what I think she’s asking?! What in the world is she saying?!

“Oh, what a coincidence,” my father spoke up, pointing casually at my mom. “Don’t we have a tour to go on this year?”
My mom thought for a moment. “Hm, that’s right.”

LiYin wiggled her eyebrows at me as I gulped. Please don’t ask for details, please don’t ask for details!

“I think it will be all right but who’s going? Only you two?”
Arg, and my mom asks for details.

I looked away nervously, afraid that something was going to be given away. Oh god, oh god, oh god, LiYin cannot lie for life. Mayday, mayday!

“My boyfriend,” she replied coyly and I snapped back, relieved that she didn’t mention Jaejoong. Don’t ask anymore, Omma. Don’t ask anymore!
“Oh really? Who is he?” my mom questions, being the nosy person she is. It’s no wonder where I got it from. But good, I think the boyfriend thing got her distracted!

“His name is Kim Junsu,” LiYin announced proudly, to which my dad nodded.
“Ah I recognize that name. I think he’s number three in your school, isn’t he?”
I widened my eyes and looked to LiYin for the answer. I didn’t even know that but it figures..

LiYin nodded happily. “Mhm, he is.”
“That’s wonderful LiYin,” my mom remarked. “Good choice.”

Tch. Well JaeJoong is number one. How about that?

“So is it okay? Can BoA come with?” LiYin persisted with amazingly convincing puppy eyes.
My mom turned to me. “Do you want to go, BoA?”
I sat up and blinked. “Erm, I-uh… if that’s okay…”

“Hm I don’t see why not then. Go ahead,” my mom beamed and I think it was because LiYin was here that she was acting all sweet and friendly.
LiYin perked up in excitement. “All right~! Thank you ahjumma, ahjussi!”

“Okay, if there isn’t anything else, please excuse us, LiYin,” my mom said as she got up. “Us old folks have some work to do.”
“Oh no problem, thanks again!” LiYin stated and beamed at my parents as they left.
“Do visit more often,” my dad included.
“I will~” LiYin replied and then they were gone.

I waited a while to make sure before I exploded. “Oh my gosh! What were you thinking? You could have at least told me that you were planning this all along! I wasn’t ready!”
“Pft, if I told you then you would have totally disagreed to the whole idea,” LiYin claimed and I couldn’t argue with that one.

“.. Yeah well.... still! If they dangerously asked you anymore you would have totally revealed everything@ Especially that-”
“JaeJoong is going?” LiYin finished my thought and gave me that taunting look. My face burned up.

“Uh…y-yeah, that!” I exclaimed. “My mom would totally kill me if she knew that he was going too, you know! And you know how bad you are at lying!”
“Pft, what are you talking about? I’m not bad at lying,” LiYin said and I had to double-take.
“Wow… seriously?” I asked and she nodded.
“What? I’m not,” LiYin claimed and that was the best joke of the year.

“LiYin, have you ever seen Junsu try to lie?” I asked, setting up a good perspective for her.
She slowly nodded. “Yeah.. he’s horrible.”
“Well you’re just like him,” I told her and gaped open.
“What? No way! I’m so much better than him!” she defended and I snickered.
“Yeah okay~”

LiYin angrily pouted at me for about thirty seconds before she got over it. “Oh well whatever. The important thing is that I’ve got you going on the ski trip with us.”
I smiled and nodded to the idea. A winter holiday with JaeJoong and our best friends… ah, I wonder how it will be like…

“Ah! B-but what if JaeJoong and Junsu don’t like that I’m tagging along? I mean, I didn’t even know that JaeJoong was going so that means he didn’t want to tell me about it and so maybe that means he doesn’t want me to go and-”
“HEY CALM DOWN,” LiYin yelled at me, grasping by both shoulders. She stared me in the eye and admitted, “JaeJoong actually hasn’t agreed yet. In fact I think Junsu probably just asked him to go right - about - now~”

“Wait, you mean—”
LiYin grinned at me with her pearly whites. “Told you that I can lie! In your face~!”

Dumbfounded.

∫Track 07
LiYin went home almost as soon as he mission was accomplished. After all we still had school work to do but as I was working on my paper, I kept glancing over at my phone, waiting for her to call.

It was about ten o’clock and I was going to give up on waiting when my phone rang. I hurriedly picked it up.

“Hey!” I chirped, probably a little too excitedly but oh well. I coughed, trying to pass it off but LiYin was already giggling on the other end.
“Junsu said JaeJoong just left,” LiYin told me and that was nice but I wanted to know if- “Good news! JaeJoong said that if you’re going, he’ll go too.”

My heart pounded. Was this real life?

“…Are you lying again? Are you teasing me?”
“Pft, of course not silly. I’m really telling the truth this time,” LiYin chimed and I put a hand over my ridiculously happy smile.
LiYin then grumbled. “Anyway I have to study.. I’m not even halfway through the pages in the textbook! Ugh!”

“Oh okay,” I said, resisting the urge to dance my off. This was too great! I can’t even think straight. Kya!
“Good luck with your paper! See you!” Click, and she hung up.

I placed my phone calmly on my desk and then sprinted to my bed. I hopped up on it and jumped up and down. I’m spending Christmas with JaeJoong! Ah~~!!! Thank you God for a wonderful life!

But wait. What present am I going to get him? … Aw shoot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AN: hey guys! -waves- been a long time hasn't it! super sorry! really busy, etc. I won't waste your time by complaining about my school stuff. you know the deal ;] hehe anyway I don't know how you guys liked the chapter, so leave me a comment and I will! ^^ I hope you guys are still reading! thank you for your support! replies are on the comment page~ ^^ I will try to update more. my last final is tomorrow~ oh yeah! wish me luck! (; and this chapter is not toooo much BoJoong. it's more of LiYin hehe ^^ she doesn't appear that much in the story so I'm giving her some more spotlight (: more BoJoong will probably come soon. just setting the stage... hehe~