Album No. 35

Play the Keys to My Heart

 

AN: hey guys, I'm back! wah, we're at album no. 35!! I bet half are you are like, when will this story end?! and the other half.. I just hope that you are excited we've made it this far! haha! ☆ WARNING: this may be one of the most epically long chapters I have ever written! please show it a lot of love! ^^v & I hope you like it!! I'm feeling kind of sick (though you cannot tell by the way I am cheerfully typing hahahahaha/ high off medicine..? ;P) but in all seriousness, I will get to replies at a later time, hopefully! okay go read kids! go go go! /gets KO'd.

Album No. 35
∫Track 01

We managed to make it almost halfway down the mountain but truthfully, it wasn’t by skiing. For me it was more like falling and rolling down or maybe even sliding, to put it more precisely, because no way could a person call what I was doing ‘skiing.’ 

“I give up now~! Can we please stop?” I shouted towards the sky, shaking those god-darn ski poles in my fists. I was having a horrible time and as I turned my head to the right, I saw the other two having the time of their lives. Tch, of course. While I, Kwon BoA, am suffering, they’re all smiley and laughing and forgetting all about me. Suddenly I was thinking that it wouldn’t be bad if I could turn these poles into spears…

“Pa-Bo-A, come here,” JaeJoong unexpectedly called and waved me over. I glared at him and stomped over in my skis. The only improvement I had so far was that I wasn’t that scared to move anymore. 

“What? If you’re going to teach me another ‘trick’ I don’t want to learn it. This isn’t fun, I want to go back to the room~!” I whined. I realized that I sounded childish and annoying, but this ski-lesson-turned-flirt-session is more annoying! 

JaeJoong scoffed and flicked me on the forehead. “Tch, we’re already halfway down and besides there is no other way to get down. We have to finish the route.”

I stuck my lips out and shook my head. “No~~ I don’t like it~~~ I don’t want to~~”
“Stop being a baby,” he scolded and pinched me on the arm. 
“No! Ow! It hurts! I don’t want to ski anymore!” I yelled back and he shut his eyes, sighing. 

“Ugh, fine. You know what? Go over there and take a break. I’ll be out here with Hyori to learn some more skiing stuff in the meantime,” JaeJoong replied and handed me the room key. “Here’s the card just in case you need it,” he said and then swiftly turned his back on me. 

I stuck my tongue out and blew a raspberry at him. “’I’ll be out here with Hyori to learn some more skiing stuff in the meantime’~” I mocked as I stormed over to the rest cabin. “Learn ski stuff, my as-s… more like learn her phone number and body measurements I bet.. Stupid Kim JaeJoong… stupid flirt… I hate this! It’s the worst Christmas eve ever!”

The minute I walked inside, it was as if all my worries instantly faded away. Though it was just for a moment, the aroma of sweet hot chocolate had filled me up and I was automatically refreshed by the warmth of the interior. This was no doubt a very effective rest cabin. 

The environment inside was cozy and home-like and soothing too. I quickly detached my skis at the entrance, putting them up on the shelf to make my way towards the hot chocolate bar. 

I stood in line, waiting for my turn. Eventually I got to the front and as I opened my mouth to order, someone else did too. 
“One hot chocolate please,” we both said simultaneously. I turned to smile at the other customer over the coincidence and it turned out to be-

“Yoo…chun?” I stated in surprise and for a second my mouth hung open. How was – why was – he’s – he’s here..?!

“Oh hey BoA,” he replied super casually with a smile and only then did it really hit me that we were both standing in a unexpectedly awesome log cabin halfway down a tall snowy mountain somewhere in Korea waiting in line for a warm cup of hot chocolate on Christmas Eve. Honestly… what were the chances?

“Y-yeah.. I.. I didn’t expect to see you here,” I answered and probably gave him the most awkward smile but he chuckled. 
“I know right?” he added and then turned to the cashier with a thanks when he got his cup. 
“Oh, um, thank you,” I said when I received mine and the both of us went over to sit at a small wooden table. 

“So who are you here with?” Yoochun brought up casually and took a sip of his drink. 
“Uh, me? Oh, I’m here with LiYin,” I said, nodding. “Because LiYin invited me here. You know, to go.. with her. Since.. since my parents went somewhere to, uh, perform for the holidays. Yup. They had work so I tagged along with LiYin. Yes. That’s the reason.”

Yoochun stared at me for a while and then laughed softly. “So I’ve heard.”
“Ah, right! Because your parents are my parents’ bosses so you know that already… I see, well okay! So, um, who are you here with again?” How embarrassing..

“It’s actually an Ongaku Elite trip so I’m with the other elites,” Yoochun explained as I took a long sip of my hot chocolate. 

“Oh, them! I saw them perform last week at school. They’re really good,” I told him and he looked down with a smile. 
“But you were the best, Yoochun. I was so lucky to see you perform. You really were great,” I complimented and he glanced up with smiling eyes. 
“Thanks, BoA. That means a lot,” he said and then it grew silent. 

“… Erm, so I see you’ve trimmed your hair a bit,” I randomly commented. “It looks nice.”

Yoochun grinned, staring at me with a new kind of feeling. For once I felt that he wasn’t being all goofy with his old bowl cut and whatever. He felt genuine, grown-up, independent and sophisticated. He even looked more handsome, like he’s changed into a cooler guy ever since the holiday recital. 

He used his fingertips to play with his bangs for a while and then said, “Haha, thanks for noticing.”

“Well it’s really good to see you again,” I told him and I meant it. In many ways, Yoochun was still a friend whom I cherished.
“Yep, this was fun for me too,” he replied and we both got up and tossed our cups into the trash. “Are you going down the mountain? Would you like to go together?”

I blinked my eyes at the offer and nicely declined. “Oh.. no, it’s okay. I learned today that I really at skiing so I don’t want to hold you back.”
To my surprise the former pushy and insisting Yoochun accepted. “Okay then, I’ll head off first. Maybe I’ll catch you later?”
I smiled wholeheartedly. “Yeah, sure. That’d be cool.”

“Ah actually,” Yoochun added and I have him a blank face. “There’s a Christmas party in the west wing ballroom hosted by the lodge tonight. It’s at 7. Lots of food, raffles and music. The elite class will be attending so… I was thinking.. do you want to come with?”

I bit my lip in thought, surprising myself that I was actually considering it. I blame you, Kim JaeJoong. 
“Um, I’ll have to check with LiYin but um, I’ll give you a call if I’m going,” I told Yoochun and he beamed. 
“All right, sounds good.”

Yoochun handed my skis after I pointed out which ones they were and grabbed his own too. We chatted a bit more about other events at the lodge as we put them on and Yoochun even helped me secure mine the right way like JaeJoong had done for me previously. 

“Bye BoA,” Yoochun stated as he slipped on his goggles and grasped onto the ski poles. 
“Bye Yoochun,” I said, right before he skied down through the snow. He went down the hill pretty quickly and I was impressed that he had a talent for the sport. I would have never guessed that he would, and boy was he way better than JaeJoong. 

I then drew my attention away and started to look for those other two in ski group #7. I quickly spotted JaeJoong sitting on the snow with Hyori, seeming to enjoy each other’s company… very much. Darn… why does it feel like something is weighing me down..

“Should I even bother to ruin their happiness?” I wondered out loud and grumbled. Even if I decided to be the nice person I am and walk away I couldn’t because no way in hell was I going to go down this scary mountain alone. 

The snow crunched under my skis as I made my way over but I was soon stopped by a man on a snow mobile. 
“Miss, please keep skiing. It’s dangerous to stop in the middle,” he advised and turned to him with a slight bow.
“Ah yes, I will,” I answered and from the short distance I could hear JaeJoong laughing loudly with Hyori and it just.. burned. 

“Wait sir,” I stopped the man before he drove off. “I’m… I’m actually not feeling so good,” I told him and placed a hand on my tummy. “I’m sorry but is it possible to transport me down the mountain? I think I need some medication.”

The man looked at me for a moment and sighed. “All right. Please hop on.”

∫Track 02

“Thank you sir,” I said with a bow and waved when the snow mobile man drove off to patrol the mountains some more. I went to the ski rental desk and returned the skis that I borrowed. It felt strange to be walking on ground again all of a sudden. It was like I still had my skis on and I smiled. 

My silly thoughts didn’t last too long and I figured that I should call JaeJoong to let him know that I was going back to the room by myself. Maybe I should find LiYin and Junsu too. On second thought… nah, they’re probably doing cute couple things together. I’d better not bother them. 

I took out my phone and dialed JaeJoong’s number, hoping that he was not too busy flirting with Miss Ski Instructor to pick up my call. 

“YAH! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU PABO!” JaeJoong yelled almost as soon as I hit the send button. Geez, it hadn’t even been one ring on the line yet.. 
“Sorry, I’m not feeling well so I’m heading back to the room to take a nap now,” I told him calmly, even though my heart was jumping at the fact that he sounded this worried.

“WHAT! HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU EVEN GET DOWN THE MOUNTAIN? YAH, YOU CAN’T DO THAT TO ME, BOA! YOU PROMISED NOT TO WORRY ME! HOW DO YOU RUN AWAY WITHOUT SAYING ANYTHING? HOW DO I EXPLAIN TO YOUR DAD IF I LOSE YOU OR GET YOU HURT?”

“Too late…” I muttered and rolled my eyes up to hold the tears back. Ugh, I don’t even know why I was being such a crybaby.

“WHAT?” he yelled and I was beginning to think that the reception wasn’t so great up there. 
“Nothing,” I said and sighed. “I went down the mountain because a snow mobile man drove me so I’m fine now. I apologize a thousand times for not telling you. I just didn’t want to interrupt your dandy ski lesson. I returned the skis and everything already and I’m going to take a nap…you don’t have to worry about me. I can take care of myself… bye.” 

Just as I was hanging up, I heard that airy voice of his shouting, “A SNOW MOBILE MAN? WHAT WERE YOU DOING WITH A—”

Click. 

Sigh. Why is it that this trip isn’t anything like I imagined it to be… sigh… big sigh. 

∫Track 03

Once back in the hotel room, I took off the ski outfit and hung it in the bathroom to dry it off. Then I dashed over to my bags and dug through it to look for my pajamas. I was seriously planning to take a nap because those three hours of ‘skiing’ really got me tired, mostly because I hadn’t even been doing it right. I’m sure JaeJoong has gotten a real good hang of it by now without me getting in the way of his lesson… deng, I got to stop thinking about him. 

Just as I thought the thought I came across the set of the black t-shirt and plaid pajama pants that belonged to the said devil. Funny, I still had the clothes because I had forgotten all this time to give it back to him… Oh who was I kidding? Yeah, I wanted to keep it. Is that a problem? 

I tucked in my lips and hugged them to my chest. It so isn’t fair how deep this unrequited love is starting to grow, and worse that now a gorgeous and talented woman has appeared in our story, totally stealing my JaeJoong away from me. Arg. Why is it so hard to attract him? Why is it so difficult to get him to notice me? Notice me and care for me… as more than a friend… is it even possible.. or am I just dreaming?

I left his clothes on top of the bag and changed into my own nightgown. Seeing as to how I had his room key, he probably won’t get in without me opening the door for him anyway so it was okay. 

I snuggled under the large comforter and smooth bed sheets, quickly falling asleep. 
For a moment I’d like to forget about my troubles and dream them away…

∫Track 04

In the midst of my nap, which hadn’t even been twenty minutes yet, I heard someone calling me and shaking me, trying to wake me up. 

Half asleep, I sat up and fluttered my eyes open to see JaeJoong’s troubled face. He looked a little red and I guessed that it was from being in the cold, gawking at me with wide eyes. 

“What?” I mumbled in a dreary voice and scratched the back of my head. Oh god, I must look horrible right now, but hey who cares. I don’t need to impress Kim JaeJoong, he doesn’t even notice when I do anyway. 

JaeJoong looked distracted and so I had to repeat myself. “What?” I asked in a more firm manner and then he turned away whilst sitting on the edge of the bed. 

“C-can you cover yourself up first? I can’t talk to you like that…” he muttered and then I remembered that I was in my nightgown. Tch, silly guy. It wasn’t even that revealing but I was used to JaeJoong’s sensitivity about these things. 
I pulled the blanket up and tucked it securely under my arms. “Okay, now what?”

He glanced back a little, making sure that it was all right and then faced me with his usual lecturing look. “Tell me, why did you run off by yourself? Do you know how worried I was about you?”

I groaned and laid back on the headboard of the bed. “We already went over this, Kim JaeJoong Ahjussi. I didn’t want to interrupt—”
Suddenly JaeJoong touched my forehead with the back of my hand and then felt my neck with his palm. “Are you sick? You said that you weren’t feeling well. Did you take some medicine?”

I shook my head and wanted to explain but he cut in. “A-and why are wearing such a little amount of clothes? If you’re sick you should dress more warmly, pabo! Is it cold in here?”
“No, listen JaeJoong, I—”
“Wait, let me change and get you some medicine. I brought some with me, hold up,” he told me and then sprinted off to the bathroom with a change of clothes. 

I rolled my eyes and sighed. Just when I didn’t want to see him for a while, he fully immerses himself into my life. Hm.. but it did make a little happy that he was being so caring, even though I was perfectly fine. 

JaeJoong quickly came out and he was wearing that same set of pajamas with the white t-shirt and plaid flannel pants that he had on last time from our ‘sleepover’. I watched as he went to a counter and poured a glass of water. He came over by the bed and handed it to me. “Hold this,” he stated and then jumped over to the bags. 

He browsed through them and let out a short laugh when he saw the pajama set of his that I had laying out there. “You brought this?” JaeJoong asked and held the clothes up in his left hand. “You should have worn this then pabo. Here, put it on now.” He tossed the shirt and pants over to me but I shook my head. 

I placed the glass of water on the night table and said, “No, it’s okay, it’s yours. I’ve been meaning to return it to you..” 
“Put it on now or I’ll do it for you,” he argued and I scoffed, not believing him. 
“I’m perfectly fine, I don’t need to put it on,” I defended and gently threw the set back at him. It landed right in front of his eyes and then he unexpectedly grabbed them, along with a small white bottle, stood up and walked towards me with a stern look. 

“I warned you~” he said and then sat down, seriously forcing the t-shirt over my head. Of course I struggled out of reflex but while trying to keep up my front, I broke out giggling instead. 
“Yah~ JaeJoong, stop it!” I squealed while I laughed as he attempted to pull my short arms through the sleeves. 
“Come on, at least the t-shirt, at least the t-shirt BoA!” he exclaimed and then I eventually I gave in, wearing it like a good girl. As if I had a choice anyway. 

“Tch, I don’t even know why I let you do these things to me..” I said as I adjusted the black tee neatly over my gown. It felt weird but I was a little warmer.

“Because you like me,” JaeJoong said and I instantly froze by his words. My eyes shot open and I stared at him like he just grew horns. Everything in the room grew still in an instant and we just stayed looking at each other in this serious attitude that made me nervous, really, really nervous!

My mouth started to dry as I watched JaeJoong lift his hand towards my face. Oh my god, oh my god, was this- was this seriously happening?! He gently held my cheek and I in oxygen that I was quickly losing from feeling him watch me so intensely. Not knowing what was going to happen I closed my eyes and only wished for the best!

One second passed… two seconds passed… and then – squeeze!

“OW!” I yelped and held my hand up to my face. “You pinched me!”
JaeJoong started chuckling and I knew that what I was hoping was to good to be true. He fooled me again. “Of course I did, what were you expecting?” he taunted and then opened the white bottle, shaking out a pill. 

“Enough kidding around,” he said even when I should be the one saying this to him. “Take this,” he demanded and I reluctantly downed the pill with some water even when there was nothing wrong with me. 

No, actually, the only thing wrong was that I had actually thought that he’d kiss me. I must be going crazy..

JaeJoong showed a faint smile and then set the glass of water back on the table for me. He stole a glance at the digital clock. “There’s still some time before dinner time,” JaeJoong remarked and looked at me. “You should rest.”

“What about you?” I asked but he seemed to avoid the question with another of his own. 
“Are you feeling cold?” JaeJoong wondered and tucked me in under the blanket tightly as I laid down. 
I shook my head. “It’s fine. I’m all right.”
“Liar,” he claimed when he felt my hands. “They’re like ice, pabo. Scoot over.”

Again my eyes shot open and I had to ask, was he kidding?! 
“What? What do you mean? JaeJoong! Wh-what are you doing?” I stuttered as he nudged me towards the right side of the bed and climbed in under the covers ever so casually. 

“My body heat will make you warmer,” JaeJoong stated bluntly and made a relaxed sigh as me made himself comfortable next to me, which in turn made me uncomfortable with the situation. 

He turned to face me and my heart jumped out from our close distance. In all the time we’ve ever, EVER, spent together, we haven’t been as close as we have been until now. Oh my gosh. Our bodies, lying right next to each other, in the same bed, under one blanket, together. This isn’t a dream, is it?!

“I’m hot right?” he asked and the funny part was that he was being serious - about his body temperature, not his looks. Though I’d definitely answer yes to both. “See, the one useful thing I learned in health class,” JaeJoong stated proudly and then turned over so I faced his back. 

“Man I’m tired,” he yawned, carrying the whole conversation by himself. “You think we can get up by ourselves in two hours?”
I was speechless for a while, not being able to answer his questions since I was still trying to fathom the fact that we were sleeping together. Wait a minute, wasn’t this what we originally wanted to avoid in the first place? Tsk, and now he’s instigating it? This guy was tricky.. I tell you! Darn right tricky! 

“..S-sure,” I whispered when I accepted this unexpected reality but it quickly came to my attention that he was already sleeping. I propped myself up a bit and peered over to see his eyes closed. His breathing was soft and rhythmic so I was pretty sure that he was asleep. 

I smiled at him and admired his sleeping face for a while. Quiet and peaceful. I liked it.

And unfortunately, as much as I had tried to start getting over him, JaeJoong managed to creep back into my heart without notice. It was like I had no choice. He never gives me a choice. 

Out of nowhere he snorted out loudly and I quickly covered my mouth before I busted out laughing. He was so cute and precious like this… gosh.. 

JaeJoong, you know that I like you… but the question is, do you like me?

∫Track 05

It was kind of weird waking up together and getting ready for the Christmas Eve dinner using the same room and facilities. It felt like.. we were married. Oh gosh, I said it! Now my face is going to get red like crazy! Eek!

“Is it too hot now?” JaeJoong asked in the mirror of the bathroom from which we were both standing in front of. We didn’t have much time left so this time instead of arguing, we both calmly agreed to share since we were doing little things anyway.

JaeJoong was fixing his tie and hair, while I applied some finishing touches on my lip gloss. It took me longer than usual though, seeing as to how I was standing next to the most perfect man on Earth. Oh, too hot indeed. 

“Huh? Oh! Oh yeah,” I pretended so that he wouldn’t further question the blush in my cheeks. 
He fanned me with his hand and even blew some air in my direction. “Better?”
I let out a short laugh at his attempt. “..Mhm, thanks.” I enjoyed it when he was being unintentionally sweet. 
Suddenly he coughed into his fist and muttered a “hurry up pabo” before exiting the bathroom. That’s Kim JaeJoong for ya. 

I heard a knock at the door and I guess JaeJoong answered it since I soon heard two very familiar happy voices bounce off the walls.

“Hey guys! Having a good time?” LiYin said and I dashed out of the bathroom, running into her with a hug. 
“LiYin, skiing is horrible!” I complained and we both lifted our heads up and turned to Jaejoong. 

Weird, it seemed to me that he was exchanging suspicious looks with Junsu.

“Jaejoong, you were supposed to look after Boa~” LiYin argued. I guess she didn’t notice it… 
“Huh?” Jaejoong said when he turned back and it was obvious that he wasn’t paying attention. 
LiYin sighed. “Oh never mind,” she said and then dragged us outside. “Let’s get to the dinner before they run out of good food!” And off we went. 

∫Track 06

We walked down the hall and took the elevator to get to the west wing where the dinner was being hosted. It turned out that it was the very dinner party that Yoochun had invited me to earlier. I drummed my fingers on the side on my leg and decided to pull out my phone. 

“Boa, it’s right in here,” LiYin said to me outside the entrance of the ballroom. 
“Yeah, I’ll be there in a sec,” I told her. JaeJoong gave me a look right before the three of them walked in first. 

I stood off at the side and texted Yoochun like I promised: [Hey, I’m here.] 
[Really? Great. Shall we meet at the punch bowl?”] Yoochun texted back and I bit my lip, thinking about what I should do about JaeJoong. Would it be bad if I introduced him? What would happen if the two met?

I twiddled my fingers for a while and then replied: [Sure.]

I put my phone back and breathed out calmly, drawing out a plan in my head. First, I’ll go in there and locate the punch bowl. Then I will casually ask JaeJoong to go over there with me to get a drink. Next, I will act surprised when we bump into Yoochun. And so, JaeJoong would be introduced and what happens from there I will leave up to fate. 

I grinned happily to myself as I pranced into the ballroom to start my perfect plan. Except, once I got in there, JaeJoong wasn’t around. I went up to LiYin and Junsu who were among the fruit section. LiYin fed Junsu a strawberry and he looked at it first with a scrunched nose before taking a bite. 

“Hey guys, where did JaeJoong go?” I asked and Junsu choked on the fruit and quickly reached for a napkin to wipe his mouth with. 
LiYin made a thinking face and answered, “He saw someone and went off by himself. I think it was… oh, the ski instructor! But I didn’t see his face so I don’t know who it is.”
I clenched my fist and muttered, “..His face? The ski instructor is a female! A really pretty and potentially dangerous female!” 
“What?! You should have mentioned it earlier. I would have stopped him!” LiYin claimed but it was too late. I gazed around my surroundings and realized that this place was no joke. I’d rather not risk myself getting lost to find that jerk. 

“Whatever, like I care anyway,” I mumbled and gripped the strap of my purse. “I’m going to find Yoochun!”
LiYin held me back by the shoulder and questioned, “What? He’s here? How’d you know that? You saw him?”
“Yes. I did,” I replied and crossed my arms, scanning my eyes around the space. Holiday decorations filled the place – red stockings, green wreaths, a rainbow of ornaments and a tall white Christmas tree. I could see everything but that dummy. Stupid JaeJoong… where the hell are you? 

“Where was I when all of this happened?!” LiYin exclaimed in surprise and then I moved out of her hold. 
“I’ll tell you later, LiYin. Help Junsu, he’s choking,” I said monotonously and stormed off. 

∫Track 07

I walked around and in a minute I found Yoochun there, at the punch bowl, just like he promised. To be honest, I was somewhat glad to see him. He was the only one right now who I could talk to and forget about trivial things. 

“Hey,” he greeted with a smile and I tried my best to smile 100-watts back but I think I only got up to 40. 
“Hey,” I said without even looking at Yoochun in the eye. I couldn’t help but keep searching. Arg, Kim JaeJoong, can you please stop scratching at the back of my mind? He’s so annoying!

“Some punch?” Yoochun asked and I nodded, to which he picked up a fancy-looking glass and filled it up with the ladle. He handed it to me and I downed the entire glass in one shot. 

Yoochun chuckled and I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. “It’s fruit punch, Boa, not alcohol,” he kidded and I handed the empty glass back to him. He set it down and then put his hands in his trouser pockets. “Is everything okay? You look a little unhappy,” Yoochun commented. “It’s Christmas Eve, you should be merry.”

I let a sharp breath out of my nose and placed my hands on my hips. “Thanks for trying to cheer me up Yoochun. I’m just angry at a very annoying person right now.”
“Is it the person that you like?” he asked and I slowly dropped my hands at my sides, staring at him through the corner of my eyes. 

“Yah.. it isn’t like you to talk so casually about these kinds of things..” I noted and he looked amused. Wow, did he get over me already? If so, that’s pretty cool. 
“Oh, is it weird? Then I’ll stop. We could talk about other things,” Yoochun offered and looked a little panicky. Heh, it was kind of cute. 

“No, no. It’s totally fine.. I just thought that..” I trailed my voice off and played with the musical note charm on the bracelet my dad gave me. Yoochun didn’t say anything and only looked at me with sincerity. 

He eventually broke off eye contact and his cheeks turned slightly pinker. 
“What’s wrong?” I asked him and he turned back, giving me a glimpse of the old Yoochun. He soon collected his cool and waved his hand back and forth in denial. 
“Nothing, haha. Anyway, would you like to meet some of the Elite class?” he suggested and I nodded. I got nothing else better to do. 

“Sure, I’d love to.”

∫Track 08

I was so proud of myself that I was able to stop thinking about JaeJoong for five whole minutes and it was actually kind of fun to meet the Elites, which had in total 13 people. You’d think that they’d pick a luckier number but I found out that it was supposed to be 15, however a certain SOMEBODY and SOMEBODY’S pseudo-little brother took up the ranks #1 and #3 but didn’t have the grades to make Elite status. 

Yoochun was #2, which I had always known. 

“BoA-sshi, you play the piano too right?” #11 the freshman Taemin asked. 
I smiled with a nod. “Yes, I play the piano. You too?” He nodded proudly so I took it as a yes. 

“Really? But aren’t your parents famous violinists?” #7 whom I recognized as the guitarist girl IU wondered.
“Yeah, they play the violin but I like the piano better,” I answered and it was like the beginning of an interview. 

“Oh it must be to match with Yoochun,” another Elite student teased but I forgot his name. 
“Ah, no, no I think I’m just better at piano than violin, that’s all,” I said. Yoochun and I exchanged brief glances and then the others started discussing the Ongaku ranks. 

“It’s weird, isn’t it? They should make the system dependent on both academic and musical skill performance, not just talent,” drummer boy Minhwan remarked and the others moved their heads in agreement. 

“And no matter how good that Kim JaeJoong is, I still think that our Yoochun deserves to be #1,” Seo Hyun stated, which was what brought me back to thinking about him again. 

“He doesn’t even have to try and he gets number one. I don’t know but I think it’s kind of unfair,” Seungho added and as much as I was mad at the jerk right now I couldn’t let him be offended.

“JaeJoong does try,” I mentioned in a quiet voice and they all turned to me with looks of surprise. 

“I mean, he used to slack off a lot but recently he’s changed… a lot. You guys don’t see it but he’s been working hard lately to pick up his grades and he’s really great at the piano too. I think he has every right to be #1.”

My heart started racing as they continued to stare at me with raised eyebrows. Yoochun even lowered his gaze and suddenly I felt like I had to leave. 

“Sorry.. I need to go use the restroom.” I apologized and quickly fled the scene. 

∫Track 09

I rushed into the ladies’ bathroom and couldn’t believe my luck when the person who I least wanted to see at the moment appeared – the female version, that is, Hyori. 

“Oh hi BoA-sshi~ how nice to see you here,” she greeted with a beam that lit up her gorgeous face. She looked so different in an evening gown, much more feminine and curvy, and I was struck by envy. Ack, how do I even compare to that woman’s eye-smile?! No wonder JaeJoong ditched me for her.. Why did I even bother to defend him? Ugh, I want to cry!

“I didn’t know that you came to the dinner party too,” she remarked and I sent her a fake and weak smile. 
“Yeah… me neither,” I said through my gritted teeth and she flipped her wavy hair over her shoulder, totally showing off her pretty neckline. I’M ENVIOUS!

“You look kind of upset. Did you and JaeJoong get into a fight?” she stated and I lowly growled at her. “He’s been kind of down tonight too. Though he tries to hide it from me, I could tell.”

She carefully leaned over the sink towards the mirror and took out her make-up to fix her eye line. I couldn’t help but notice her full chest and looked at myself, frowning that my body was that of a little girl’s compared to hers. She was SO showing off on purpose! And JaeJoong thinks that I am too revealing?! Tch! 

I then noticed that Hyori kept glancing at me and smiling in a suspicious way. OH! She must be rubbing it in my face that she’s got JaeJoong now! Oh my god! If she dares say it, I ought to –

“You’re so cute, BoA-sshi,” Hyori said with a giggle and placed her eye liner back into her make-up pouch. She turned and faced me with a full smile. “I think you and JaeJoong are adorable for each other.”

SAY WHAT NOW.

“I don’t know what happened between you two but I think you guys should patch up. It’s Christmas Eve after all,” Hyori told me and #1, I was completely gosh-darn confused right now. #2, why do people keep using Christmas Eve as a reason to solve everything?

She grabbed at my wrist and said with excitement, “Shall we find him?” 
Before I could even begin to protest, Hyori added a line that totally undermined my entire understanding of the situation. 

“He should be at the table with my husband, I’ll introduce you to him!” 

“Ehhhh? You’re-you’re married?!” I shrieked and she turned back in the middle of speed-walking, beaming proudly. 
“Yeah, of course! Didn’t JaeJoong tell you?”

Oh no he didn’t.

∫Track 10

Wow, talk about a turn of events. I never thought that I’d find myself sitting at a table with JaeJoong, my assumed love rival AND her super-hot-tall-and-handsome husband. Excuse me for admiring but if you were to see him in real life, you’d understand what I’m talking about and drool until you ran out of saliva too. 

However, admiring is admiring. Liking is liking. Unfortunately, the person I liked was anything but happy to meet my acquaintance. Not like that was new. 

“What are you doing here?” JaeJoong scowled at me under his breath and I stuck my tongue out at him when the husband-and-wife were not looking. 
“I should be asking you the same question,” I whispered and he rolled his eyes in defeat.

“Chagiya, this is JaeJoong’s friend BoA,” Hyori introduced and I kept a dreamy sigh in when he shook my hand. 
“Hello, I’m Hyori’s husband,” he said and I melted at how sweet that sounded. If only it was JaeJoong saying he was mine. “You can call me Jihoon. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” he said and boy was it a great pleasure. My heart wouldn't stop fluttering~ now I really envied Hyori Unni! 

“Yes, it’s very nice to meet you,” I said and smiled like a timid student fangirl meeting a Hallyu star. If I were in my Ongaku uniform, it’d be the classic scene. 

“JaeJoong-ah, why didn’t you tell Hyung that you had such a pretty female friend?” Jihoon teased and nudged him on the shoulder. 
I looked at JaeJoong with a blush as he gazed down at his lap, looking annoyed at the unexpected situation. 

“Heh, JaeJoong hates it when I . He’s always been like that since young,” Jihoon stated and JaeJoong narrowed his eyes at him. 
“Hyung!” 

“Eh? How do you and JaeJoong know each other?” I asked curiously and Hyori also perked up in her seat. 
“Yeah, I didn’t know about them two until JaeJoong started to say that I looked familiar during the ski lesson. It turns out that he’s seen a picture of my hubby and I together,” Hyori said and it cleared up a whole lot of misunderstanding on my part. This entire time I was mistaking their catching up as flirting. I felt awful… but good thing that I didn’t confront Hyori about it or else.

“JaeJoong and I go way back. Isn’t that right, JaeJoong-ah?” Jihoon said and JaeJoong rolled his eyes and nodded. 
“Unfortunately.. Jihoon Hyung used to..”
“I used to teach him how to dance,” Jihoon finished and I was surprised, so surprised that I let a snicker slip. 

“Pft! ..S-Seriously?” I asked with interest probably pouring out of my eyes. I couldn’t imagine JaeJoong as the dancing type. This was good stuff!
“Yeah but he didn’t like it, this rascal,” Jihoon remarked and squeezed JaeJoong’s nape with his hand. JaeJoong cringed a little and pushed Jihoon away. Their playful relationship was adorable. 

“But he came to learn everyday. Weird, huh? But it’s all right. I liked Junsu much better anyway,” Jihoon taunted and JaeJoong gave Jihoon another death glare, though he dare not make a move on the older one. 
“Oh, Jihoon-sshi knows Junsu too?” I asked, for lack of a better statement. 

“Yep, Junsu was really great. He picked up moves way better than this one,” Jihoon answered and showed off his brilliant eye-smile, just like his wife had. 
“Ah yeah, I remember you telling me about him Chagiya,” Hyori said and he nodded.

“So I see that you’re acquainted with him as well, BoA-sshi. Then again, if you know one of them, you’re bound to know both,” Jihoon said and I knew what he meant. 2Kim were probably the inseparable best friends type when they were young, hehe~

“Oh and Stephanie was also one of my favorite students,” Jihoon commented and my mind paused for a moment to think. Stephanie… as in JaeJoong’s first love Stephanie?
“She really had a talent for dance, almost like one of those child prodigies,” Jihoon stated and sighed, shaking his head. “It’s too bad that she moved so suddenly.”

I glanced over at JaeJoong, who seemed highly uncomfortable with the direction this conversation was going. He almost looked upset at the mention of her name. 

Jihoon probably sensed his discomfort and changed the topic, “Anyway~ where’s that Junsu at? He’s here, no?” 
JaeJoong then sat up and took out his phone from his suit jacket pocket. “..I’ll call him over.”

I watched as Hyori and Jihoon whispered to each other lovingly while JaeJoong tried to reach Junsu. 
“He’s not picking up. I’ll go find him,” JaeJoong said with a straight face and then left the table. 

“Hm, I guess it was still soon to talk about her,” Jihoon stated and he confirmed my suspicions. Although a part of me was sad that JaeJoong clearly had some unfinished business with that girl, I was more worried about him. 

“Um.. excuse me for a moment,” I said to the couple and went after him. 

∫Track 11

I followed JaeJoong throughout the ballroom and eventually caught up to him when he stopped at the white Christmas tree at the center of the floor. He gazed up at its amazing height and seemed like he was daydreaming. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was thinking of the past but the past is the past. What’s done is done.

“JaeJoong…” I started softly and I knew that he heard me though he didn’t look my way. I gently touched his arm and he spoke. 

“Did you have fun?” It was a really random question but at the same time I felt like it was as if he knew that I wandered off and hung out with Yoochun before. 

I deliberately ignored him. “Are you all right?” I asked in a soft voice. He continued looking up and I squeezed his arm hoping to comfort him. “Don’t be like this … It’s Christmas Eve after all.” There I went, with that excuse that I didn’t understand.

I put my hands on my hips and wagged a finger. “No crying on Christmas Eve, Kim JaeJoong.” And he finally looked down at me with a small scoff of amusement. 
“Hm. Now where did I hear that before?” JaeJoong said and we both smiled at each other. 

“Merry Christmas!” LiYin exclaimed from behind us so we turned around at the same time. Junsu jumped on us and attacked us with hugs around our necks. 
“So this is where you both were!” he said cheerfully with a ring of his special laugh. Just on time, the big clock in the ballroom struck twelve and everyone cheered. 

I noticed that people around us started to exchange presents, even Junsu and LiYin whipped out something from their backs to give each other. 

JaeJoong soon nudged me and whispered, “…Are we the only two who didn’t bring gifts?”
I responded through the corner of my lips, “…I think so.”

“We’ll be right back!” JaeJoong and I shouted while the other two who looked at us in surprise. 
“Wait, Hyung I want to give you your present!” I heard Junsu yell but we were already halfway out of there. 

∫Track 12

“Yah, you’re such a pabo. Why didn’t you remind me about the presents?” JaeJoong scolded as we waited for the elevator. 
“Really? You’re blaming me? You didn’t remember yourself, why should it be my fault? Dummy!” I retorted and he only grumbled. 
“Fine, fine. It’s both our faults,” JaeJoong concluded and gave out a small chuckle into his fist. 

“Dummy-pabo couple is dummy-pabo couple indeed,” he remarked and I tried to hide my smile. 

The elevator soon came and I swear it was some super-fast-turbo one because it shot up to our floor within seconds. Once the doors open, both of us sprinted for the room. He got there first – of course – and opened it with the key I never knew he had. 

“Hey, I never asked you. Where’d you get that?” I asked when I closed the door behind me, being the later one to get in. I thought that he had given me his key before when I went off to get hot chocolate. 

“Pabo, there’s always two keys to one room,” he said and nothing more. I shrugged off the thought as I ran in to find the presents, taking them out from my suitcase. 

“Here,” JaeJoong called and I looked up from the spot I was crouching at, staring at a big red box with a long white ribbon in front of my eyes. Even when it was not the first time he’s given me something, I think this must be the biggest one. It was more than half my height when I stood!

“..Y-You’re giving it to me now?” I asked as I received the package with both arms. How did he even get this all the way here? Now I was sure that this thing was what took up most of the space in the trunk. 

“Yeah, why not? I don’t want to carry that all the way downstairs for a few minutes only to have to carry it all the way up,” he reasoned and gave a nod at the present. “Open it.”

Without hesitation, I unwrapped the ribbon and pulled off the top, slowly picking up what was revealed to be a giant Hello Kitty plush by the ear. 

“Oh my gosh!” I squealed and JaeJoong gave me a hand in taking the whole thing out. “It’s so fluffy!” I exclaimed as I hugged it tight to my body. 
JaeJoong crossed his arms with a smirk. “I thought you’d like it.”
“Thank you JaeJoong!” I said and also gave him a big hug without thinking much of it. He always gets me the best gifts! Ah!

When I let go of him, he cleared his throat and stuck his hand out. “Yah, and where’s my gift, Pa-Bo-A?”
I placed the three-foot Hello Kitty on the bed and reluctantly pulled out a very-obvious-that-it-was-a-CD-wrapped present, placing it on his palm. 

He didn’t wait either, tearing off the shiny wrapping that I worked so hard to wrap perfectly for him and smiled when he saw the cover. 
“I went through so many gel pens to make it look pretty,” I commented at the colorful, cute drawings I made and he laughed. 
“A CD?” JaeJoong inquired as he opened it and took it out. “I’m going to play it now~”

As much as I’d rather have him wait and hear it for himself, a part of me wanted to hear it too, what he thought… and - if he would fall for it. 

JaeJoong hurriedly popped the CD into the stereo that our room oh so conveniently provided and I bit my lower lip, sat on the bed, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. 

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_mvNF0ObY[/media]

JaeJoong’s eye blinked with surprise, hearing his own song being played back to him. I couldn’t describe that feeling when he smiled and closed his eyes, keeping only his ears open to listen. I was happy, so happy and I hoped he was too. 

We heard the entire song and I was amazed at how well it was played. It was a really beautiful piece and if I didn’t know any better, I would have never guessed that JaeJoong wrote it. 

JaeJoong then opened his eyes and I gulped seeing the way he was looking at me slyly. “You played this?” he asked as he walked over towards me. Each step he took, I inched back on the bed. 

“Erm… yeah… I did…” I claimed and he tsk-ed obviously not believing me. Arg, the recording must have come out too well. 

“Liar,” he said in a way that made my spine tingle like no other. It didn’t help that he sat down on the bed next to me and leaned in close. He breathed out warmly and it was the perfect moment for me to faint. “But thank you. I know you worked hard to get this for me. Thank you Pa-Bo-A.”

My neck grew hot and I nodded. “Ah, actually I did play some of it. J-just not all of it..”
“I know,” JaeJoong answered with a grin. “You think that I can’t tell the difference between your playing and Junsu’s style?”
I scrunched up my nose and pouted. He always sees right through me. It’s injustice I tell you. 

“Hey, are we just going to sit here and forget about our two lovely friends downstairs?” JaeJoong mentioned.
“Oh right! LiYin and Junsu are probably still waiting! I’ve got their presents, let’s go!” 

I stood up from the bed and JaeJoong suddenly grabbed my hand. Something sparkled in his eyes. 

“Or shall we go straight to bed?” 

Wait, Kim JaeJoong.. 
What were you suggesting?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AN II: thank you so much everyone! 谢谢大家! 여러분, 감사합니다! みなさん、ありがとうございます! ^_________________^v